1,255 of 1,270 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the $120 ones
Published on February 23, 2012 by Aaron J. Robbins

When using my new crockpot to serve my tomato sauce and meatballs warm at a volleyball tournament fundraiser, I noticed that on the keep warm setting the sauce was boiling. I had to rely on unplugging it and plugging it back in. The other 5 slow cookers there all worked fine.
Published 19 months ago by C. VanDoren

1,255 of 1,270 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the $120 ones, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I really shopped around when looking at crock pots because they are expensive. I had heard mixed reviews all around about the cooking temps on some of these being too high or too low or some models automatically shutting off before they are done cooking or even in some cases the electronics lock up to the point of having to unplug and leave unplugged for an hour...this doesn't do any of that. We've used it about 15 times since we bought it (often several times a week) and love throwing a whole meal in there in the morning and coming home after work to a prepared meal. This is truly a fix it and forget it crock pot! I will leave 2 comments that reference some other bad reviews on here:

1. This thing stinks - Yes, the first time you use it, it does have a weird plastic type smell that even smells in the air as you cook. This smell will go away literally after the first use. Washing it first won't help. It didn't affect the taste of the food in the least.
2. The warm feature is too hot - It is a slow cooker, so when it switches to warm, it doesn't immediately turn off like your oven. The automatic feature of it switching to warm once the timer is done is really cool. It will keep the food HOT, but not boiling. I've left it on warm for about 1-2 hours before because I wasn't ready to eat and it kept it at serving temperature, not cooking temperature. Our old crockpot would let it get too tepid to be considered a "warm" setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Crock Pot!, February 1, 2012
I use a crock pot a minimum of once per week. I have had one for several years that worked, but would get so hot (even on the "keep warm setting") that the liquid would scorch along the sides of the dish. Because it was the only crock pot I had ever owned, I thought that was how they all worked.... I decided to get a new one and was looking for one with the automatic timer that would cook, then switch to "keep warm." I purchased this one, expecting it to cook the same way. After cooking one meal, it was obvious how terrible my previous crock pot was. This one cooks evenly, never scorches, and the casing is surprisingly lightweight! The oval shape also makes it easier for me to store. This might be one of my favorite purchases ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slow Cooker, January 4, 2012
Brian's Reviews (Vernon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I chose this model partly because it won the editors choice from Wired magazine. It also fit my needs of a nice slow cooker with programmable time and keep warm mode. The price is great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, January 27, 2012
I was looking for a crock pot with two features - controlled by an electronic touch pad instead of a knob (those knobs fall off!) and a locking feature, for easy transport. This was the only one I found with both those features!

I've used it once a week for a couple of months, and it's worked perfectly. It's nice that it keeps track of how long the food has been cooking - my old crock pot couldn't do that.

Please note - don't lock the cover while the food is cooking!

I have absolutely no complaints about this crock pot!

2.0 out of 5 stars Has been redesigned - Keep warm setting is a failure, company acknowledges the problem, May 10, 2013
I tested the crock pot at home, filling it to 3/4 full of water, getting it to 150 degrees on high, and then switching it to keep warm. 2-3 hours later it was 211 degrees!
I called crock pot, they said the design temperature for keep warm was 175 degrees and they sent me a replacement, Same problem. Sent me a third slow cooker, same problem (actually 215 degrees this time).
I called them again, had a long conversation with a rep that said they had to redesign the product to raise the temperatures to satisfy the FDA. She acknowledged that if they sent me more crockpots they were likely to have the same problem. And a higher end version would likely be the same.
Of course the only reason i bought this was that Americas test kitchen rated a sister product as the highest due to its ability to stay on temperature, and the product does exactly the opposite now...
This product may work fine for you if you are not using or relying on the keep warm setting, but if you are, I recommend finding and old one somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, January 26, 2012
G. Harrell (El Dorado, AR USA) - See all my reviews
What can I say. As with most Crock-Pot products, it does a great job. The exterior is attractive and easy to clean. It cooks evenly and at the correct temperature. If you need to transport your food somewhere after cooking, the clamp down cover, with gasket, eliminates the chance of spills. Cooking time is easily programmed, and after cooking is completed it automatically switches to "warm" in order to keep your food at proper serving temperature. The removable "crock" is easy to clean. All in all, this is an excellent value!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cooks at a rolling boil, February 10, 2012
I wanted a slow cooker with a timer & keep-warm feature. I liked the look of this one because it has a convenient touchscreen & long cook time, similar to the more expensive Cook's Illustrated recommended crock-pot. And the latched travel lid seemed like a cute feature.

I assumed that cooking would be similar to the more expensive model. Apparently not. This heats quickly, but the temperature is MUCH too high. A full 212-degrees F! Sadly, I will be returning this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome item, December 6, 2011
This item came after my rival burnt up. I read all the ratings and did some really hard research. I picked this one after I got done I have to say I am not disappointed I use crockpots all the time. I needed one for a family of seven and was a work horse.This one does the job very very very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crock Pot purchase from Amazon, December 27, 2011
It's much like advertised. Not real fancy but a good basic cooker. Watch out for the cooking times listed in the recipe booklet, way too long. We found the food tastes better if you cut down the cooking times by 40%. Chicken is kind of "mushy", but beef and pork are good. Like the removable lid and porceline liner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boils food at Low Temperature, May 13, 2013
I believe this is my first 1 star rating. The product looks great, love the locking handles but the low temperature is too HIGH. My wife made a chicken broth with the low setting and it is literally at a boil. I measured with an analog thermometer and it measured roughly 212 degrees. I already applied for my refund, I just need to box it back up and send it back to Amazon

Doesn't matter how many nice features a crock pot has, if it cooks at improper temperatures, it is a useless device and desires a 1 star rating