1,077 of 1,089 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the $120 ones
Published on February 23, 2012 by Aaron J. Robbins

2.0 out of 5 stars Cooks at a rolling boil
I wanted a slow cooker with a timer & keep-warm feature. I liked the look of this one because it has a convenient touchscreen & long cook time, similar to the more expensive Cook's Illustrated recommended crock-pot. And the latched travel lid seemed like a cute feature.

Published on February 10, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1,077 of 1,089 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the $120 ones, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I really shopped around when looking at crock pots because they are expensive. I had heard mixed reviews all around about the cooking temps on some of these being too high or too low or some models automatically shutting off before they are done cooking or even in some cases the electronics lock up to the point of having to unplug and leave unplugged for an hour...this doesn't do any of that. We've used it about 15 times since we bought it (often several times a week) and love throwing a whole meal in there in the morning and coming home after work to a prepared meal. This is truly a fix it and forget it crock pot! I will leave 2 comments that reference some other bad reviews on here:

1. This thing stinks - Yes, the first time you use it, it does have a weird plastic type smell that even smells in the air as you cook. This smell will go away literally after the first use. Washing it first won't help. It didn't affect the taste of the food in the least.
2. The warm feature is too hot - It is a slow cooker, so when it switches to warm, it doesn't immediately turn off like your oven. The automatic feature of it switching to warm once the timer is done is really cool. It will keep the food HOT, but not boiling. I've left it on warm for about 1-2 hours before because I wasn't ready to eat and it kept it at serving temperature, not cooking temperature. Our old crockpot would let it get too tepid to be considered a "warm" setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Crock Pot!, February 1, 2012
I use a crock pot a minimum of once per week. I have had one for several years that worked, but would get so hot (even on the "keep warm setting") that the liquid would scorch along the sides of the dish. Because it was the only crock pot I had ever owned, I thought that was how they all worked.... I decided to get a new one and was looking for one with the automatic timer that would cook, then switch to "keep warm." I purchased this one, expecting it to cook the same way. After cooking one meal, it was obvious how terrible my previous crock pot was. This one cooks evenly, never scorches, and the casing is surprisingly lightweight! The oval shape also makes it easier for me to store. This might be one of my favorite purchases ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slow Cooker, January 4, 2012
Brian's Reviews (Vernon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I chose this model partly because it won the editors choice from Wired magazine. It also fit my needs of a nice slow cooker with programmable time and keep warm mode. The price is great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, January 27, 2012
I was looking for a crock pot with two features - controlled by an electronic touch pad instead of a knob (those knobs fall off!) and a locking feature, for easy transport. This was the only one I found with both those features!

I've used it once a week for a couple of months, and it's worked perfectly. It's nice that it keeps track of how long the food has been cooking - my old crock pot couldn't do that.

Please note - don't lock the cover while the food is cooking!

I have absolutely no complaints about this crock pot!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cooks at a rolling boil, February 10, 2012

I assumed that cooking would be similar to the more expensive model. Apparently not. This heats quickly, but the temperature is MUCH too high. A full 212-degrees F! Sadly, I will be returning this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome item, December 6, 2011
This item came after my rival burnt up. I read all the ratings and did some really hard research. I picked this one after I got done I have to say I am not disappointed I use crockpots all the time. I needed one for a family of seven and was a work horse.This one does the job very very very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, January 26, 2012
G. Harrell (El Dorado, AR USA) - See all my reviews
What can I say. As with most Crock-Pot products, it does a great job. The exterior is attractive and easy to clean. It cooks evenly and at the correct temperature. If you need to transport your food somewhere after cooking, the clamp down cover, with gasket, eliminates the chance of spills. Cooking time is easily programmed, and after cooking is completed it automatically switches to "warm" in order to keep your food at proper serving temperature. The removable "crock" is easy to clean. All in all, this is an excellent value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Crock Pot purchase from Amazon, December 27, 2011
It's much like advertised. Not real fancy but a good basic cooker. Watch out for the cooking times listed in the recipe booklet, way too long. We found the food tastes better if you cut down the cooking times by 40%. Chicken is kind of "mushy", but beef and pork are good. Like the removable lid and porceline liner.

1.0 out of 5 stars BOO!!! CAREFUL! bolt falls off into soup and cooks too high!, April 2, 2014
C. Wong (Mililani, HI. USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:02 Mins

Arg! This is a "fast cooker" but I was living with that. Seriously - I'm lucky I've always been home to babysit because even on "keep warm" the thing keeps a rolling boil. (see vid)

But today I reached my limit - when I was making chili for a potluck event (I think this is the 5th time I've used it) the side clasp came off and the bolt and washer fell into the soup! We don't have the money to waste on 12 servings of chili so after pouring out liquid and agonizingly going through beans, I FINALLY found the tiny bolt and washer! Could have easily not realized they were both in there if I hadn't looked carefully at the design.

Dangerous, poorly constructed and cooks at too high a temperature!

DO NOT BUY!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but runs hot, March 17, 2012
As others noted, this does run "hot," even with large batches. I made a huge batch of sauerbraten and put it on low -- it was done in less than 6 hours (falling-apart done). To be "set and forget," the low setting needs to be, well, LOW. It will still be very useful for a lot of my cooking, such as large batches of bolognese or chicken stock, but for anything to cook overnight or while I'm at work, I'll need another cooker. I've owned several slow cookers over the years, and this one isn't slow enough.

The "carry" clips are useful, the stoneware is easy to clean, and it looks nice. So for the price not a bad price for a not-so-slow-cooker.

Rate and Discover Movies