5.0 out of 5 stars Another Nugget of Pure Gold from Jean Shinoda Bolen!
Published on November 25, 2003 by barbarahort

3.0 out of 5 stars Older women, take note!
This is an interesting take on older women's attitudes and roles in society today. One does not like to think of themself as a 'crone' but with the author's definition, we can consider ourselves in a different light and take our position lightly. I bought 3 copies for gifts as my friend gave me a copy for my birthday.
Published on August 2, 2005 by Barb A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Nugget of Pure Gold from Jean Shinoda Bolen!, November 25, 2003
"barbarahort" (Vancouver, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women (Hardcover)
Jean Shinoda Bolen has struck gold once again! And once again, she is offering that gold to us. It is amazing how Bolen always manages to answer women's spiritual needs, almost before we know we have them. She has introduced us to the glowing communities in our souls ("Goddesses in Everywoman," "Goddeses in Older Women" and "Gods in Everyman"). She has led us on pilgrimages through the rich and sometimes perilous landscapes that often confront women ("Ring of Power," "Crossing to Avalon," and "Close to the Bone"). She has shown us the personal and global importance of our gathering in women's circles of meaning ("The Millionth Circle"). And now Bolen has gifted us with "Crones Don't Whine" -- thirteen annotated mantras for those of us women who wish to live our last, and potentially richest, years with wit, wisdom, and gusto. In a society where being an older woman has traditionally been dreaded or denied, "Crones" is an invaluable resource and, what's more, it is a joyful call to arms. I have never written an Amazon review before, but I was so disappointed in the Publisher's Weekly piece that I felt compelled to register my own rave review for "Crones" as quickly as possible. It would be such a shame if any women on the cusp of crone-dom were to miss out on Bolen's latest treasure. In fact, I plan to buy a copy of "Crones Don't Whine" for every woman I love. Bravo and thank you, Jean Shinoda Bolen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Juicy Couture Could Take On a Whole New Meaning, October 17, 2005
Debra Morse (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Jean Shinoda Bolen's latest work playfully and sharply offers women thirteen qualities to cultivate during the third phase of their lives ( Maiden-Mother-Crone). She wisely seeks to re-install the title `crone' as an aspirational honorific connoting wisdom acquired through years of living; a woman to be revered and respected.

Banish all thoughts of crones as withered and barren: crones are `juicy' Bolen maintains, having zest, passions, and soul. Adopting Bolen's approach is bound to result in a happier person who graces the world by her presence and actions. Upon entering the crone years, women can now devote creativity, energy, and time to things that matter. Having developed instincts, having endured pain, having learned the importance of meditation, crones choose their path from the fork in the road with heart. After describing the qualities of a crone, Bolen offers suggestions for ways in which crones can work together to make the world a better place. This is woman power at its core. Girl power is a mere warm up.

This sweet and wise little primer would be a perfect gift for any woman, particularly those over the age of fifty ( the unofficial start of crone-dom). It would be a dynamite book club read, and no doubt lead to long juicy discussions over margaritas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Especially intended for women over 50, February 9, 2004
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom For Juicy Women is a self-help guide by psychiatrist and Jungian analyst Jean Shinoda Bolen especially intended for women over 50, and centers upon thirteen positive qualities to cultivate in themselves. From the benefits of meditation; to learning how to speak with honesty and compassion; to savoring the best life has to offer, Crones Don't Whine is a superbly written and emotionally beneficial work of practical and diverse insights into improving everyday life for mature women in today's culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crone for my cronies, March 11, 2006
Kathryn Lawder "Izhara A'el" (Siskiyou Mountains of Oregon) - See all my reviews
This book is The Birthday Gift for my girlfriends, sisters, cousins and co-workers as we turn 50. Many shudder at the word "crone" but I am proud to be entering the ranks of the wise women and continuing to make efforts to connect with women of all ages to learn and to teach. This book is great encouragement! Be Juicy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read, June 5, 2004
I'm 53 and have decided this is the best book I've ever read in my entire life (and I read 3-5 books a week).

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrating Cronedom!, April 5, 2009
This is a lovely book that offers women entering their "crone years" - and those who aspire to the title and stature of crones - 13 key qualities to cultivate and celebrate! The book is small and filled with practical wisdom that, applied and practiced, has life-changing potential.

Dr. Bolen suggests, rightly, that as we continue to reap the benefits of the Women's Movement and extend its meaning, we reinvent ourselves at each stage of life. What an adventure! For those in, or coming to, the crone years, she proposes that "it is time to reclaim and redefine 'crone' from the word pile of disparaging names to call older women, and to make becoming a 'crone' a crowning inner achievement of the third phase of life."

Drawing from her base in Jungian analysis, academic work, and years in private practice, Jean Shinoda Bolen offers nuggets of wisdom that are at once profound, humorous, and highly practical! As the cohort of women over 50 grows, so does the pool of power and wisdom residing in this group. (And, yes, there is also a chapter addressing how exceptional men can be crones, too!)

Dr. Bolen focuses on what she has identified as the 13 qualities that are characteristic of wise women - each quality gets its own chapter. She offers practical insights into what these qualities look like and how we can help them blossom. She brings to life the richness of the third phase of life with great energy and vitality - and quite a few hearty chuckles as well. Crones Don't Whine gives context, inspiration, practical tips, and wonderful encouragement to crones working to blossom fully into their beauty, power, and wisdom. I highly recommend this inspiring book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crone's Opinion, September 20, 2005
Loved the book.

States the facts, Ma'am just the facts, but with a sense of humor.

Inspirational wisdom for those of us over 50.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crones Don't Whine...., September 21, 2005
I found my first experience reading this author to be delightful, a fast-read, and entertaining with much wisdom and life-experience shared.

I will read her other books as a result --

BG, A Crone in COLORADA

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Concentrated, August 5, 2007
I have found wisdom and guidance in Jean Shinolda Bolen's books since I read "Crossing to Avalon" many years ago. This book is short and pithy. Very short and very pithy. It is, in fact, concentrated...like sun-dried tomato paste or pomegranate syrup. My own desire would have been for more depth and development, but its advantage as it stands is in an almost haiku quality. I read it, one chapter a night, for several nights and reading it that way makes it a form of meditation. I suspect it would be a delightful gift from one woman in the crone years to a younger one just entering that stage of existence. If you are looking for honesty, humor and challenge, this is your book. However, if this is the first Bolen book you read, don't stop here! Pick up one of her others: "Goddesses for Older Women," "Crossing to Avalon," "Goddesses for Everywoman," and delve even deeper into her ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, March 16, 2008
Amazon Customer (Decatur, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This book provides a whole new philosophy of an aging woman along with tips on how to make it a great time in life. The author uses humor to make points. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. As a 55 year old woman, the rest of my years are looking up following the 13 steps listed.
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women by Jean Shinoda Bolen (Hardcover - September 1, 2003)
$16.95 $12.10