Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 25, 2003
Jean Shinoda Bolen has struck gold once again! And once again, she is offering that gold to us. It is amazing how Bolen always manages to answer women's spiritual needs, almost before we know we have them. She has introduced us to the glowing communities in our souls ("Goddesses in Everywoman," "Goddeses in Older Women" and "Gods in Everyman"). She has led us on pilgrimages through the rich and sometimes perilous landscapes that often confront women ("Ring of Power," "Crossing to Avalon," and "Close to the Bone"). She has shown us the personal and global importance of our gathering in women's circles of meaning ("The Millionth Circle"). And now Bolen has gifted us with "Crones Don't Whine" -- thirteen annotated mantras for those of us women who wish to live our last, and potentially richest, years with wit, wisdom, and gusto. In a society where being an older woman has traditionally been dreaded or denied, "Crones" is an invaluable resource and, what's more, it is a joyful call to arms. I have never written an Amazon review before, but I was so disappointed in the Publisher's Weekly piece that I felt compelled to register my own rave review for "Crones" as quickly as possible. It would be such a shame if any women on the cusp of crone-dom were to miss out on Bolen's latest treasure. In fact, I plan to buy a copy of "Crones Don't Whine" for every woman I love. Bravo and thank you, Jean Shinoda Bolen!
0Comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2005
Jean Shinoda Bolen's latest work playfully and sharply offers women thirteen qualities to cultivate during the third phase of their lives ( Maiden-Mother-Crone). She wisely seeks to re-install the title `crone' as an aspirational honorific connoting wisdom acquired through years of living; a woman to be revered and respected.

Banish all thoughts of crones as withered and barren: crones are `juicy' Bolen maintains, having zest, passions, and soul. Adopting Bolen's approach is bound to result in a happier person who graces the world by her presence and actions. Upon entering the crone years, women can now devote creativity, energy, and time to things that matter. Having developed instincts, having endured pain, having learned the importance of meditation, crones choose their path from the fork in the road with heart. After describing the qualities of a crone, Bolen offers suggestions for ways in which crones can work together to make the world a better place. This is woman power at its core. Girl power is a mere warm up.

This sweet and wise little primer would be a perfect gift for any woman, particularly those over the age of fifty ( the unofficial start of crone-dom). It would be a dynamite book club read, and no doubt lead to long juicy discussions over margaritas!
on February 9, 2004
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom For Juicy Women is a self-help guide by psychiatrist and Jungian analyst Jean Shinoda Bolen especially intended for women over 50, and centers upon thirteen positive qualities to cultivate in themselves. From the benefits of meditation; to learning how to speak with honesty and compassion; to savoring the best life has to offer, Crones Don't Whine is a superbly written and emotionally beneficial work of practical and diverse insights into improving everyday life for mature women in today's culture.
on March 11, 2006
This book is The Birthday Gift for my girlfriends, sisters, cousins and co-workers as we turn 50. Many shudder at the word "crone" but I am proud to be entering the ranks of the wise women and continuing to make efforts to connect with women of all ages to learn and to teach. This book is great encouragement! Be Juicy!
on June 5, 2004
I'm 53 and have decided this is the best book I've ever read in my entire life (and I read 3-5 books a week).
on April 5, 2009
This is a lovely book that offers women entering their "crone years" - and those who aspire to the title and stature of crones - 13 key qualities to cultivate and celebrate! The book is small and filled with practical wisdom that, applied and practiced, has life-changing potential.

Dr. Bolen suggests, rightly, that as we continue to reap the benefits of the Women's Movement and extend its meaning, we reinvent ourselves at each stage of life. What an adventure! For those in, or coming to, the crone years, she proposes that "it is time to reclaim and redefine 'crone' from the word pile of disparaging names to call older women, and to make becoming a 'crone' a crowning inner achievement of the third phase of life."

Drawing from her base in Jungian analysis, academic work, and years in private practice, Jean Shinoda Bolen offers nuggets of wisdom that are at once profound, humorous, and highly practical! As the cohort of women over 50 grows, so does the pool of power and wisdom residing in this group. (And, yes, there is also a chapter addressing how exceptional men can be crones, too!)

Dr. Bolen focuses on what she has identified as the 13 qualities that are characteristic of wise women - each quality gets its own chapter. She offers practical insights into what these qualities look like and how we can help them blossom. She brings to life the richness of the third phase of life with great energy and vitality - and quite a few hearty chuckles as well. Crones Don't Whine gives context, inspiration, practical tips, and wonderful encouragement to crones working to blossom fully into their beauty, power, and wisdom. I highly recommend this inspiring book!
on September 20, 2005
Loved the book.

States the facts, Ma'am just the facts, but with a sense of humor.

Inspirational wisdom for those of us over 50.
on September 21, 2005
I found my first experience reading this author to be delightful, a fast-read, and entertaining with much wisdom and life-experience shared.

I will read her other books as a result --

BG, A Crone in COLORADA
on August 5, 2007
I have found wisdom and guidance in Jean Shinolda Bolen's books since I read "Crossing to Avalon" many years ago. This book is short and pithy. Very short and very pithy. It is, in fact, concentrated...like sun-dried tomato paste or pomegranate syrup. My own desire would have been for more depth and development, but its advantage as it stands is in an almost haiku quality. I read it, one chapter a night, for several nights and reading it that way makes it a form of meditation. I suspect it would be a delightful gift from one woman in the crone years to a younger one just entering that stage of existence. If you are looking for honesty, humor and challenge, this is your book. However, if this is the first Bolen book you read, don't stop here! Pick up one of her others: "Goddesses for Older Women," "Crossing to Avalon," "Goddesses for Everywoman," and delve even deeper into her ideas.
on October 27, 2013
There IS a book for the phase of life and the important things that change with it for women middle aged or older. And this one does not harp on the stuff we all know: the losses. This points out the GAINS!!! And they are many. It didn't take a bit of twinkle out of my eye to see that someone had written it out since she has more juicy and wonderfully wise pieces of information than I have. It's short, hard bound, easy to read, but I still had to slow down because what is said is often simple and profound at the same time. Worth the money.