5.0 out of 5 stars A truly unique & superior effort from Spike Lee
Published on December 7, 1999 by MilesAndTrane

3.0 out of 5 stars [3.5]--Warm and bittersweet film
Published on February 15, 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly unique & superior effort from Spike Lee, December 7, 1999
MilesAndTrane (Chicago, Il USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
Being a huge Spike Lee fan, it means much when I say that "Crooklyn" ranks very high, just beneath "Do The Right Thing" and "Malcolm X". Naturally, this coming-of-age family comedy set in Brooklyn during the 70's obviously has a strong autobiographical slant to it (the screenplay was written by Spike and two of his siblings, the story itself was credited solely to his sister, Joie), but if you've read Spike's out-of-print diary of the making of his first film "She's Gotta Have It", then you get an even stronger idea of how personal this film is to Spike; the Clinton character is obviously molded after him. The acting, cinematography, cultural references, music and acting are all superior. Most creative was the debut of Spike's "slimmed-in" cinematography during the Virginia sequence, which would soon become a Spike Lee trademark. Fans of Delroy Lindo who haven't seen this film will be surprised with his gentle & sensitive performance.
I'll tell you why this film has such a profound impact on me. I, like many others, have seen hundreds of films set in different times, places, etc. But very few films have been able to transport me back to another time & place as effectively as "Crooklyn". For the duration of the film, I really feel as if I'm enjoying an intimate portrait of a working-class black family in Brooklyn during the 1970's, it's like I'm right there. The irony is, I'm a middle-class white boy from Chicago who was born in 1974. This film is a grand artistic & personal triumph for Spike Lee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quit Hatin!, October 27, 2004
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
I saw this movie for the first time 10 years ago with my family and fell in love with it. I was however like 9 so I decided to watch it again to see if I still liked it and I must say that this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It reminds me so much of my own personal life it was scary. All these people who didnt like the movie are too focused on the unimportant facts of a movie and not looking at the movie itself. It has alot of truths in it and I think it is well worth th time and money to explore it and figure out where it parallels your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great movie about Family, June 11, 2002
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
"Crooklyn" is a nostalgic story of the ups and downs of an African-American family living in 1970's Brooklyn . It is probably the second best movie that director, Spike Lee has ever made. Lee's best was the classic 80's flick "Do the Right Thing".But while "Do the Right Thing" was about ethnic tensions, racism and strife, "Crooklyn" is a film about love.In the movie we meet the Carmichael family. They yell, scream, call each names, even get into physical fights.But it is very evident, that love is very strong among this large brood.Dad (well played by Delroy Lindo) is a musician who is trying to create some honest music thats important to him. Mom (fabulously played by Alfre Woodard) is pulling her hair out, trying to keep this inner city family's finances above water, while trying to stop the kids from killing each other.But the film really centers on 9 year old Troy (Zelda Harris) who shows us the ins and outs of her family life and the close Brooklyn neighborhood that she is growing up in. Juvenile actress, Zelda Harris gives us an amazing starring performance that is totally believable. The movie is pretty much autobiographical (Lee wrote it with his sister Joie)and it richly lays on the 1970s nostalgia with cultural references among other things to "Soul Train", the "Patridge Family", Walt Fraiser, and baseball stategamatic.The film also has a wonderful soundtrack which is packed with '70s R&B and pop music from groups like the Jackson 5, the Spinners, Curtis Mayfield, the Staple Singers and Sly and the Family Stone.In fact, my favorite part of this movie is the opening credit sequence, where you hear Marc Dorsey's "People Make the World Go Round", while the film shows us the neighborhood's children playing various sidewalk, kids games.Between Soccer practice and video games, do kids even do this anymore? I just love this movie and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great film by Spike Lee, February 27, 2007
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
The first time I saw this film, I was at my aunt's house. Each character had their own uniqueness, especially Troy. I loved her. The film is one of those timeless classics. Growing up in Brooklyn, this has to be one of my favorite films. I was born in 1982, but the film still resonates with me, because it shows me how life was back in the 1970s. Spike Lee, when is Hollywood going to give you an Oscar?

5.0 out of 5 stars Crooklyn hits home, December 26, 2005
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
As you can see, I loved the movie. I think, for the people who did not enjoy it, it was more of the fact that they didn't understand it or were too critical.

My father grew up in brooklyn in the 70s and when I was younger he shared his love of music and stories of his childhood with me. As a result I could really relate to the setting of the film. I did not try to find the deeper meaning of this story. I felt it. I saw a girl, in the short period of a season, learn about life and how it always moves on. I could relate to her family, immediate and distant. I could relate (because of my father) to the way life was back then (though it really wasn't that long ago.)

I loved every second of Crooklyn and it's beautiful soundtrack. You may not, so don't feel disappointed if you don't...this is only my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars [3.5]--Warm and bittersweet film, February 15, 2007
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
Crooklyn, which Lee co-wrote with his siblings Joie Lee and Cinque Lee, marks a departure for Spike in its subject matter, offering a warm, tragicomic look at growing up in Brooklyn in the early 1970s, when the main drugs parents had to worry about their kids falling prey to wasn't crack or heroin but television and sugar. Alfre Woodard and Delroy Lindo head the Carmichael clan, a family of seven loosely based on the real-life Lees.

Woodard plays Carolyn, who teaches school and tries to keep the house in order, including her husband Woody (Lindo), a musician trying to stay true to his art even if that means placing his family in a financial strait-jacket. Crooklyn takes the point of view of the family's only daughter, 9-year-old Troy (Zelda Harris). While the film certainly looks through her eyes, it doesn't seem to be a strong enough viewpoint to carry the film's whimsical meandering. While Woodard, Lindo and Harris all give solid performances, the four brothers tend to disappear into the woodwork, never really developing into characters in their own rights. Subplots about a neighbor (David Patrick Kelly) and two glue-sniffing street kids (one played by Spike Lee) appear but never really go anywhere, though the glue sniffers do provide some funny camera angles. There aren't many overt flaws in Crooklyn. All but the most comic of urban violence has been removed, and we're left with a somewhat-idealized view of an early-70s Brooklyn.

Lee is as talented as any director is capturing an era, and some of the early scenes perfectly recall the mood of the time. The pop soundtrack may be a little too obvious, but it gets the job done. As usual, Lee has assembled an excellent cast. Alfre Woodard and Delroy Lindo do tremendous jobs. David Patrick Kelly provides a little comic relief as the white next-door neighbor who annoys just about everyone. Then there's Zelda Harris, whose unaffected performance is the glue that holds the picture together.

Crooklyn turns out pleasant enough, but by the end, it feels as if something has been left out and it just stops. The world of a child -- especially one pushed all-too-soon into adulthood -- is never easy, and this film captures the facets of Troy's odyssey. Beneath the surface of this deceptively simple motion picture lurks a keen insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !!!!!!, October 26, 2003
This review is from: Crooklyn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is a great film about some kids it is about the oldest child being a girl and living with her litle brothers and how they got on her last nerve and how she had stood up for them and living with her mother and father and growing up in the 1970's . This film also showed how it is living in New York the terms and the conditons, and challenges tht you have to face growing up I really enjoy this film!!! I would reccommend anyone to buy this movie!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performances, January 27, 2000
A fan (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crooklyn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is one of the most overlooked films of recent memory. No one mentions what a great performance Zelda Harris delivers. If Tatum O'Neal can get an Oscar for Paper Moon, then this child certainly deserved at least a nomination. Alfre can do no wrong in my book. A very tender and heartfelt movie - for the whole family, regardless of your ethnic background.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Favorite, August 17, 2005
L. Collins (Los Angele, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crooklyn (DVD)
This movie is a cult favorite in my family. I've never lived in NYC, but really enjoy the way this movie makes me feel. It reminds me of the 70's and growing up in a "family". Nobody's perfect, and lord knows we fight, but at the end of the day we all love one another. I believe this to be the best Spike Lee movie and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good movie on a Saturday afternoon. You will probably cry, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of honesty and evidence of Spike Lee's genius!, June 19, 2002
This review is from: Crooklyn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This film is probably one of the best films ever produced from an autobiographical point of view. It's depiction of the 70s and the world through the eyes of a child is so well crafted that you "lose" yourself in this film. It literally transforms you and takes you back to this time and you totally relate to the experiences, the love, the anger, the joy, the sadness that exists in this family. Alfre Woodard and Delroy Lindo give performances that are just too good to put into words. But, folks, the work of the young actress who is at the center of this movie is absolutely astonishing. She is completely believable and in my opinion born to play this role. How they found her just goes to prove that probably the strongest talent that Spike Lee has, among his many, is his ability to cast his films. This little woman steals the movie from every accomplished actor/actress in this movie and I can't imagine it having worked without her. This is a must see film and should be watched when you have some quiet time and want to relax and enjoy a good, heartwarming, film about love, family, triumph and tragedy, friendship, and above all, youth and innocence. A brilliant film.

Crooklyn
Crooklyn by Spike Lee (DVD - 1999)
$19.98 $6.59