Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crosley CR17 iJuke Mini Jukebox
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 8, 2007
I selected this item at no cost to myself as part of an employee award program mainly for entertainment value for the kids. It is a very fun item with the flashing lights, bubbling neon looking lights and mini jukebox shape, so keep in mind this item is only for the light and young at heart. It adds fun to a small room quite well which is what it is supposed to do, so I guess it's a success.

Where I disagree with the first two reviewers is regarding the sound quality. It has one four-inch full range paper speaker for each channel and the sound reflects this basic cheapness. Of course if has no bass at all and with an external power supply providing only 14 volts and 2 amps, bass is not possible. The lack of bass I can understand but the lack of crisp highs and any sort of detail I cannot. The sound is below the standard of most computer speakers. The sound cannot come close even to $100 iPod docking stations. For a street selling price of $200 I would have expected better. You have to try to mess up digital sound, the iJuke has done just that and it's clear from the cheap old-school speakers that not even Crosley intended the iJuke to be a music device. My kids love it anyway because it's fun. I'm bitter that I have no reason to listen to it.

The unit is lightly and cheaply made and I give the remote 6 months of use before it stops working.

The second item is, my unit broke within 30 days of new. One of the tubes pulled out of the bubblers in plain sight on the front panel and stopped working. Crosley has not responded to my requests for a return authorization number, neither by phone or by e-mail as the website says will happen.

So in my opinion be aware you are shelling out $200 for a low quality toy if you buy this item. If you have money to burn, don't expect sound on par with docking stations half the price, or don't expect anything more than infrequent bursts of entertainment for the kids then it's an OK purchase.

ADDITIONAL experience a few months later

We recieved a replacement unit a few months later, but not through Crosley as they were unresponsive. I managed to get my company awards program vendor to take the old one back and supply a new one because this is a fun item for the kids.

The new one failed within just days. We were eating dinner while this was on and there was a sharp CRACK! and when we went over to look at the unit, one of the bubbler tubes had cracked, no more bubbles and the fluid weeped out. That one was returned as well.

Since having this unit I have purchased one of the Logitech Squeezebox radios and the difference in sound is just night and day, Bose would be happy to have sound like the Logitech produces. This Crosley has such bad sound and such poor quality a fitting nickname would be the iJunk.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2007
Got this recently and it's such a fun stereo! It charges the iPod while playing and comes with a remote that can be stored in the back of the jukebox. It looks great and you can turn the lights/bubbles on or off while playing music. It is really a mini jukebox! Also can attach additional speakers if you want a surround sound experience. Great quality sound and it's small enough to fit on a table or take with you on a trip or in a RV. You can also hook up other mp3 or cd players to this device. I'm really happy with the quality and over all look of it. You can't beat a Crosley!
on April 9, 2009
I saw the mixed reviews here, so I wanted to add my '5 cents' as well.
First of all : For the same amount of money, you can probably find a better sounding iPod dock, but you won't find a better looking one.

The sound is really not bad at all, I have definitely heard worse. After reading some of the reviews here, I expected a thin, bass-less sound, but that is definitely not the case. The built in speakers sound very good, and the volume can be cranked up high, without any distortion.

Also, there are hookups for external speakers (not included) which is very nice.

There is a 'line in' to hook up external devices (i.e. non-iPods).

The design is very nice. I own an original Wurlitzer 1015 and the details on this replica are actually quite accurate. Also, it was a great idea, to have a 'remote control' holder in the back of the unit.

I agree, that the actual iPod dock in front of the unit is a bit 'fragile', so you definitely need to be careful, when docking and un-docking your iPod.

Also, the unit works with the iPhone as well, but keep in mind, that this iJukebox was not made for it (i.e. if you do not activate the 'Airplane Mode' on your iPhone, there will be the occasional interfearance, when the phone accesses your Network). However, the iJukebox charges the iPhone and plays the music (this includes streaming Audio) with no problem. Even the remote control works with the iPhone.

So overall, I think this is a great iPod dock.... a bit pricy, but you definitely get something, that is nicer to look at, compared to most other iPod docks.
on March 26, 2007
This little baby is an essential addition to any retro decor! Not only does it look great, with the neon-lit areas, bubble tubes and the dancing lights, it also sounds amazing. The speaker clarity is well above par and it is frankly the coolest Ipod dock I'vbe ever seen. Enjoy!
on September 9, 2008
I love this jukebox. Well worth the price. It's got surprisingly powerful little speakers in it, and it's beautiful to look at.
on July 5, 2008
The sound was great. It filled the store w/ great sound and did not distort at high volume. I had to tap at the bottom of the bubbler to start it running, but that was in the instructions to do. After reading some of the negative reviews, I will keep the receipt just in case. Target is great about returns.
on April 7, 2011
My wife and kids got me the Crosley iJuke for my 40th birthday. The light show is very nice, but the remote never worked, so I could not speak to how it sounds. I have read numerous on-line comments about how bad the remote is. How hard is it for a manufacturer of an electronic device to make a remote that works right out of the box? Even if it would have worked, it is extremely cheaply made and does not look like it will last long anyway. This product appears to be all sizzle and no steak. My advise - steer clear! Mine is going back to Amazon tomorrow.
on July 26, 2012
I bought this item 2 years ago at Target for 80 dollars and would not buy this for 200. I suggest you find it cheaper at target. It sounds great and unless you get butthurt at sound not being like the beats headphones this is not for you. It sounds great and gets amazingly loud and looks awesome too.
on June 21, 2011
I have had my iJuke for 3 years now...and one day put an iphone 3G on it and it fried the phone and the dock. So, today, sadley I had to throw it away. :(
Just beware that it could blow up your phone, literally. It was smokin.
But I loved it and it had great sound. And now I am sad it's gone.
on January 20, 2008
Crosley CR12-10 Full Size 10 CD Jukebox with Storage Base

Despite the negative ratings I read before I purchased this item, I was quite pleased with the sound quality and durability. My son was expecially happy with the sound quality and overall appearance.

See 1 answered question