5.0 out of 5 stars Great little player!
You have to give Crosley credit for coming up with these cool gadgets for all of us who love vinyl. This is actually the best sounding small record player to come out in decades. It is not very loud but the sound is very clear. I own several small record players and none is this good. The price is also very good. Thank you Crosley!
Published on October 7, 2008 by ivan rodriguez

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, retro turntable... awful sound
Published on September 14, 2012 by globalbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little player!, October 7, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Casual Listener, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Crosley CR40-BK Mini Turntable with Full-Range Stereo Speakers (Black & Cream) (Electronics)
Length:: 6:00 Mins

The Crosley CR40 is a great priced, great quality product for the average music listener. While it may not contend with hundreds of dollars worth of audiophile equipment, it is more than capable of providing a great listening experience in a casual setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miniscule, Effective, 3 Speeds, And Stereo Sound., June 1, 2008
The model CR-40 seemed the best of the Crosley portable turntables. It does what the larger turntables do, with less size, better styling, and front firing speakers, where as the various incarnations of the CR-49 have side speakers and wasted space around the platter. My only minor gripes are no pitch control, and no flippable 78 needle, as it can't be good for the same stylus to alternate between 33 1/3, 45 r.p.m., and 78's. A Vestax battery portable I bought 2 years ago had an optional 78 stylus available, which I got, though it does have to be manually removed/replaced when switching back to playing LP's and 45's (Vestax and Numark make plastic AC/battery monoral speaker portable record players with pitch control, which are quite good, but without the cabinet styling of the CR-40). Crosley's inclusion of a spare stylus is appreciated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, retro turntable... awful sound, September 14, 2012
I saw this turntable on Amazon and loved the retro look of it. The reviews seemed pretty good, so I bit the bullet and got it. I agree with the reviews for the most part-- cute (although a bit toyish looking for me-- I got the red one), cheap, very simple and easy to use, love the portability, but the sound quality... awful. I realize sound quality is really subjective because some people were ok with it, but I really couldn't stand it-- it was not loud at all (I was actually ok with this as I live in a studio apartment), but it was just too flat-sounding (the tone switch on the left did nothing for me) and I didn't feel I could take advantage of the whole vinyl experience as a result. Speakers did help liven it up quite a bit, but by that point, I realized that I wanted more. So that's when I did the research, which is what I probably should have done to begin with. I wanted a dust cover for when my records play, possibly an automatic arm, the possibility of changing out the cartridge, and just better sound quality in general (none of which this Crosley has).

Anyway, I ended up returning this one and got a fancier, a little more expensive Audio Technica turntable. I prefer a more retro-looking and portable one like this Crosley mini, but I realize I can't have both the look that I like AND function (although the AT one is a nice looking turntable, it's just very modern and it makes feel like I'm secretly d-jaying at nights or something; I figure, though, that AT and Crosley will appeal to two different groups of people). Btw, I got it from "retrowonders" and I thought they were really cool about the whole return process-- very prompt and no pain in the process (I had to pay for shipping to return it, though).

This was my first turntable, so I wasn't sure what I was looking for initially-- other than an aesthetic that would appeal to me. This Crosley turntable got me hooked into vinyls with the draw of its vintage styling, but then I realized that I wanted something more especially in terms of sound. If you want a VERY BASIC, retro-looking turntable and sound quality is not a big deal to you (although it can be decently enhanced with speakers), then I might recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, November 24, 2010
This is the best of the smaller Crosley record players. The sound is quite good and the price can't be beat. I am so glad there is a company like Crosley still making record players. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best investment EVER!!, May 17, 2012
When I first looked to buy this turntable I was a little worried because some reviewers had mentioned that the sound quality was poor. But after looking at many other turntable I just kept coming back to this one. I loved the retro look and the fact that it was portable. The shipping was fast and I could hardly wait to open it and start playing records. In my opinion this turntable is perfect. The sound is great and it plays records like a dream! I am so glad that I purchased this and would recommend Crosley turntables to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and ineffective with thicker albums, December 29, 2009
I must qualify my review and opinion by stating that I am a newcomer to the vinyl game and a complete novice with the equipment:

I recently received this item as a gift and was seriously disappointed with the performance. The arm is one solid piece of plastic that instead of moving vertically with the record's shape, digs into in as it spins. Not only is the arm very unforgiving of even the most minor rises in the vinyl, the needle couldn't even reach the surface of my colored vinyl or 180 gram records. I tried to fiddle with the unit but there is no way to adjust the arm and raise/lower the needle. The turntable worked with some albums that were older and in perfect condition, but it was ill-equipped to handle the vast majority of the albums I ran through it.

The sound was "OK" but I didn't expect much from the small speakers. I would say that I was neither impressed nor disappointed with the sound that the player itself produced. One reviewer describes the sound as "better than my speaker system" and I find that very hard to believe.

I recommend passing this turntable up, as the quality of the equipment is so poor as to render it useless. I was enticed by the price tag but I have since returned the unit to Amazon in favor of a turntable with the capabilities to play my entire collection of albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good actually, August 1, 2008
I am quite impressed with the sound of the built in speakers and impressed with everything else in general about this little turntable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a casual collector, June 13, 2013
I really love this little turntable for my casual hobby of listening to vinyl.

PROS:
• small size
• great retro look
• fairly lightweight
• portable with handles
• RCA output
• good sound
• just works. Plug in the power, turn up the knob and you're in business. Setup couldn't be easier.

CONS:
• you have to take the cover off completely in order to fit larger records onto the turntable if there is a wall behind it and the cover doesn't have room to go back all the way
• could be louder - but it has the RCA output so that's not a terrible issue
• you also have to pull up the arm holster and store it every time you want to put the cover back on. I feel lazy even listing this...

I don't think this would be a #1 choice for an audiophile, since it doesn't have a lot of features, doesn't get too loud on its own, and I'm sure the sound quality could be better. For a casual listener like me, it's the bee's knees!

5.0 out of 5 stars crosely miniturntable, December 28, 2008
I am very happy with my crosely mini-turntable. It has crisp, full sound - better than our fancy turntable hooked up to good speakers. It is well made and perfect for storing when not in use. I love it! I would highly recommend it and that is coming from someone who does thorough research on any products I buy. I only buy the highest quality and this definitely qualified.