5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!
Looking for a record player for the house -- for both casual listening and making mp3s of my collection. Everything I looked at took up TOO much room -- either on my desk when recording, or around my stereo system. Saw this and decided to give it a try. Glad I did.

Published on November 16, 2010 by Matt Louis

1.0 out of 5 stars Wobble wobble wobble Ranga-Ranga-Ranga-Ranga...
I thought this thing would be a great way to have a turntable around the house without the need to permanently set it up somewhere. Was very excited to try it when it came...OH MY =/

Published on January 12, 2011 by Moobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Crosley CR6002A-BK Revolution Portable USB Turntable (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Was really surprised by the build quality. Although the unit is plastic, it seems to be built around a sturdy metal frame -- the hinge mechanism is steel, not plastic as I expected. Controls are right on top, and the 45 rpm adapter is a sturdy rubber and stores in the unit. Tone arm is metal and plastic, with a nice diamond cartridge.

Lots of listening options -- headphone and audio out. Internal speaker is a bit tinny, but met my expectations given the small size of the unit. REALLY AWESOME -- FM transmitter! This worked great with my stereo. Just dialed in the radio station and listened wirelessly from about 15 feet. Works much better than the junk I bought for my in-car iPod use. Connection via USB to computer was simple, and Audacity software is included. Ripped vinyl sounded very good -- finally got my white album on the iPod!

Don't know how much I will use the battery power (6 AA), but I gave it a go. Left the unit on overnight, and it was still playing at the correct speed the next morning. So if you need to go portable, looks like you won't be disappointed.

Highly recommend this unit if you are in the market for a turntable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wobble wobble wobble Ranga-Ranga-Ranga-Ranga..., January 12, 2011
Moobs (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

This thing sounds TERRIBLE!! That is an understatement. If it just sounded low quality, that would be fine. The bigger problem is that the thing is uneven and wobbles and makes the records sound like the whole thing is going through some kind of awful chorus pedal or fast flange or something. YUCK! Not to mention that the speed is a little off no matter what, so the pitch is also always a little off.

It sucks, because I really wanted to like this! The form factor and USB out is perfect for my needs...unfortunately, the thing doesn't play records worth a damn...which kind of defeats the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution pretty cool!, November 27, 2010
I have been working the Revolution for a few days now and am impressed. I ordered this as a "gift for myself" and am glad I did. I needed something portable because I attend quite a few record shows and like to listen and "test" the vinyl prior to paying for it, especially if it is a rare or expensive album, and this fits the bill. I have seen a number of collectors in recent years with the old "Sound Burgers", and this is no different, but better in my opinion. The build quality is solid. While the outer cover is plastic, there is a metal frame underneath.

The unit has a nice, magnetic cartridge. That surprised me. Also, I was unaware when I bought it about the FM broadcasting capability. It just blows me away to sit in my kitchen and play my albums through my Bose wave radio 10 feet away. Very good sound and very easy to do. The battery life is unbelievable. I am likely nearing 24 hours on the original batteries and things still sound good. I recorded a few mp3's from it as well and the sound quality matches my Technics turntable. I burned the mp3's directly in to Audacity (a copy comes with it or you can download) and then tried my own Wieser software and it worked great. The internal speaker is also nice, but you won't be able to listen to it if there is background noise. You will need headphones or to broadcast it over FM. It also has a "line out" and headphone jack, something I appreciate because I will likely leave it hooked in to my amp when I am at home. If I were to change anything, I would likely upgrade the tone arm with variable weighting, but you can't have everything, especially at the price.

Didn't expect to feel this good about it, but I think this one will be with me for quite some time. I may grab another for a gift for a friend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Do It!, April 1, 2011
I've owned two Crosley products. The first was the Crosley suitcase turntable. It served its purpose and the sound was okay, but after about a year it just stopped working and wouldn't power up. I then invested in a nice turntable and stereo. Eventually I decided I wanted to transfer my records to mp3s, but I didn't want something to take up any more space. I assumed the Crosley Revolution would fit the bill and purchased it. When I opened the package I was shocked at how cheaply it was made. This disappointed me because I expected to be able to take advantage of it's portability, but if you take this thing anywhere I'm sure it won't make it back to your home in one piece. I felt like it was going to break every time I popped it open to put a record on. Also, the tone arm is so exposed and flimsy that its days are numbered. So, I decided that I could just keep it in a drawer and take it out just to transfer music to my computer. However, this thing won't even serve that purpose. With the accompanying software, it transfers music at such a low volume that it's just laughable. The turntable itself puts out so much noise that you can hear it rattle over the music. It also creates a loud hiss as soon as you turn the power on. It records at a terribly low volume with loud static over the top. I used the accompanying software to normalize the sound and filter out the noise, but it just filtered out the music as well. Don't even bother listening to it out loud with the speaker. I had a fisher price tape player as a kid that sounded better than this. The FM transmitter also didn't do anything and I couldn't find the signal. This product is worthless for most of its advertised uses. However, if you have a nice set of headphones you can plug them into the back and get decent sound and listen to records with some portability around your home. So this product may be great for teenagers who just want to sit in their room and listen to old vinyl through headphones until the unit breaks. But it is terrible for everything else. I won't buy another Crosley product. All of their products are high in style and low in quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned - NOISY Motor + CLIPPING FM Transmitter, December 8, 2012
Length:: 1:08 Mins

The motor induced so much noise into the tone arm I found the unit unusable. RETURNED for a refund. Would NOT recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe for Aquaman, but not me., January 20, 2011
I really wanted to like this portable. I've been carrying around a Newmark for years now, and it's bulk takes it toll on you after hours of record digging. So for Christmas my wife bought me this since I brought it up to her a few times as a hint.

Sure the Revolution is sleek and has some nice features, but the sound is horrible. At first I thought I may have a defective item so I exchanged it for another which I just received in the mail. It too suffers from the exact problem as the other one did. There is a wobble to the sound that is unbearable. I imagine that it would be the sound you'd hear had you played the turntable underwater. I couldn't imagine trying to grade a record off of this thing.

If Crosley could fix the sound issue I'd be the first in line to get one, but till then, I'll hold off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Burger? Not really but awsome nevertheless!, November 24, 2010
For those of you who do not know what the Sound Burger is, it was a cool portable turntable that came out in the 80's and is very collectible today. This Crosley looks very similar to the Sound Burger but it has a ceramic cartridge so the sound will not be as good but let's face it, for the price and the fact that it recreates one of the best portable turntables ever made in 2010 is awesome! Someone is really researching what collectors want. Thank you Crosley! Keep them coming!

1.0 out of 5 stars Child's Toy?, February 3, 2011
I would give this more stars if it were meant for a child. But then, how many kids have vinyl records? I can't agree with the many reviews commenting on the robust build of this turntable. It feels and looks cheap but it isn't inexpensive. I tried the FM transmitter on both frequencies and it was staticky on both from about 8" away. Next I tried headphones and it sounded tinny. Granted, Crosley isn't exactly known as a high end audio producer but for the money I was expecting more. Not wanting to waist anymore of my time I never got to the usb connection. Packed it up.

2.0 out of 5 stars A really neat toy., March 1, 2012
First of all, if you are buying this to rip vinyl to digital, look elsewhere. This is more of a cool toy than anything else. What is cool about this is the form factor and some of the features, but it is NOT high fidelity. Don't get me wrong...it isn't horrific, but it's not great.
It's easy to set up. That said, the speed on mine was about 10% fast. Initially, I was disappointed, but if you look underneath you will see two small holes between the battery compartment and the frequency switch. The one closest to the switch is the low speed adjust. Using a small, flat-head screwdriver, you can adjust the speed to the proper setting. Once you adjust the low speed pot using an LP, you can adjust the other "high speed" pot to fine tune the 45 setting. You have to have the low speed adjust first, though. One depends on the other.
It plays LPs far better than it does 45s. A 7 inch 45 doesn't have enough mass to overcome the bad flutter that this unit has. It seems to be tuned for heavier LPs. I may try to dampen the platter a bit to see if that helps. It is listenable, but I wouldn't want to pull a recording from one.
The tonal fidelity is very bright. It does have a ceramic cartridge, so don't use it on expensive 180 gram records. The FM modulator is distorted, headphone jack is OK...USB works as it should. The internal speaker is tinny.
The motor seems to be something you'd find in a cassette deck. It is belt driven, but without mass it is not very smooth. It does "OK."
All this said, would I buy it again? No. In the end, it just fails as a turntable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hail & Pull Up!, January 25, 2011
So much better than it's rivals! (Vestax Handytrax & Numark PT01)
The Crosley Revolution is everything I thought it might be - lightweight, quality construction, decent sound quality from the in built speaker (considering it's size), great pickup from the stylus and the batteries last a good length of time too.
The only disappointing feature is the FM transmitter - it doesn't send a very strong signal so the sound quality was pretty awful but I only tried it out and about using the car stereo. I would be interested to see how another radio picks up the signal. For me the bass was particularly distorted but this is just picking holes in an otherwise amazing piece of kit. I am the envy of my peers here in the UK as the black one is still only available in the US....Why is this so? The white one will get grubby within a picnic or two. The only thing it doesn't have is variable pitch control, but to be fair in a package as compact as this it's surprising to have as many features as it does.
Brilliant, highly recommended for all you audiophiles very firmly stuck in the vinyl revolution. The Crosley is for you!