Published on June 21, 2011 by mle

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality
So i got the unit and put some records on ...
1. Sound
The sound is mediocre.It is reminiscent of the middle 50's to late 60's low end phonographs. Tone adjustment is a single pot type that ranges from low to high, bass is questionable.
2. Turntable
Published on June 16, 2008 by John Baptiste

5.0 out of 5 stars Been debating this record player? Turned off by horrifying reviews? READ THIS., June 21, 2011
Okay, so I've been, for about 6 months now, debating whether or not to purchase this turntable, and I have a feeling that is the case with a lot of people. For starters, I'm a musician, and I record music regularly, always trying to achieve a quality sound. When I read the reviews of people who claim to be hearing horrible sound and that the turntable is poorly made and cheap, I was constantly turned off to the idea of buying this. Long story short, my dad works in sales and had enough points on a rewards website to get one of these guys. We finally decided to go for it since it was basically free. The turntable just arrived in the mail and I'm currently listening to Dark Side of The Moon on it. Let me first say that it's not comparable to having four bose bookshelf speakers in each corner of the room, but seriously, this thing does sound good. For someone who just wants to get into vinyl and experience that warm crackle and unique tangibility that comes with playing records (which I think is about 95%+ percent of everyone looking to buy this), then this turntable is absolutely perfect for you. The sound is no where near bad, the volume can get high enough to really fill a medium size room, it looks great (not cheap), it's easy to use, and you can bring it around with you unlike a whole sound system. Bottom line is this: If you don't already have a major sound system then chances are you're not going to get one because that's not your passion. It's very easy to get caught up in bad reviews on here and then think you're looking for something more than you really are. If you are someone who wants to listen to records casually, maybe with a small gathering of friends inside a decent sized living room, or even alone in your own room, this is all you need. It's perfect for that, and don't let the bad reviews fool you- the sound is GOOD. For the money that you pay for this, you're getting a good deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality, June 16, 2008
So i got the unit and put some records on ...
1. Sound
2. Turntable
This is all plastic, the tone arm has no weight adjustment for the audiophile collectors and is not a quality arm, the speed switch is of low end quality (3 position slider type)
3. Case
It is a good solid wood type looks and feels good, Hardware is mid line quality.
4. USB
The system works as advertised however there is a lag time between the player speakers and play through on the computer which , if the player volume is up will give you an echo, this is not recorded, mearly a time difference between the player and computer. The player tone control does not effect the recording on the computer as it is a direct thru put from the tone arm to USB to computer.
5. questions
why is there no headphone or external speaker jack?
why is there no kickstand to hold the top open, i had to add one.
instead you have to remove it or lay it all the way back down.
Product is worth maybe $100 in todays market
The plus is that you can listen to records without having to patch into a separate audio system, it is a "portable record player" Plug and play!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Records!, January 29, 2008
Charlie C. Fan (Jersey City / New York City) - See all my reviews
Let me tell you a story. Recently, I went on a road trip up and down the west coast. In a small city known as San Francisco, I came across a record store, alas, it was the famous Rasputin! Marvelous music abounded everywhere, the earthly delights, it was paradise of rare form.

Since then, I have returned to my humble abode and realized that I do not possess a record player nor have I ever owned one (seeing as my birth was a decade after the 70s). Thus began my holy quest, many retailers have I visited and many forums have I searched for wisdom and an answer.

Well...

One learns soon that the Crosley name is well-spoken of in this trade. One also learns soon that record players are a dying breed. Golly! This is where the Crosley CR249 comes in. This behemoth of a record player also provides a future-proof USB connection, thus allowing one to interface it with a modern age contraption known as the Personal Computer and digitize those wondrously rare LPs that have never seen the laser light of CD form.

Hooray, I yelled at the top of my lungs. And for those desiring a more vintage look, Crosley offers this in tan. If I could trade this in for tan, I would, but I can't so I won't but in the end I am still content and extremely pleased with my purchase.

PROS
- case is fully portable with handle, like an oversized briefcase
- dynamic range speakers put out decent sound
- USB interface
- 3 SPEEDS
- cables and software are included

CONS
- lack of outputs (only USB and an AUX IN)
- speakers are not for audiophiles

If you are in the market for a very well made basic record player with USB output that is also SIMPLE to use, then this is wonderful product to start with. If you already have great speaker system and receiver, you may want to choose another record player w/ USB that offers more output options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, February 6, 2010
octobercountry (the Land of Trees and Heroes) - See all my reviews
One's satisfaction with this turntable will depend on how exactly it will be used. If you're looking for high-quality sound reproduction through the internal speakers, well---it's not going to happen! The retro styling (and retro sound) of this unit is perfectly acceptable if you're hosting a vintage 1950's style sock hop in your living room and using it to play records from that era. But if want really high-quality audio, select a dedicated turntable that you can plug into your existing stereo system.

However, what I'm using the player for is the transfer of old recordings to the computer (using the USB port) so that I can burn CDs of my old records. And this machine works admirably for this purpose. Again, if you're a real audiophile you'll probably want to purchase a much higher-quality (and more expensive) turntable, but I think for the average consumer this unit does a very acceptable job.

(I should add that while this record player will play 33s, 45s, and 78s, a 78 rpm needle is not included. Now, such a needle is available for this unit from third-party sellers for about twenty dollars. I haven't bought one yet, but plan to do so. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES play 78s on this machine without changing the needle first! You'll get very poor results---and it's really bad for the records as well.)

The machine includes Audacity editing software to convert the recorded sound into files for your computer. I'm not at all technically savvy, and quite honestly I was a bit intimidated at the thought of figuring out how to use the Audacity programme. The software comes with only the most basic user's manual, but complete technical instructions can easily be found on the web---there are even YouTube videos that show how to use the features found in Audacity. So, after a couple of hours of experimentation and doing just a bit of on-line research, I got the basics down pat. And in fact I've been having a lot of fun messing with these audio files, to see how much I can improve the quality before saving them as WAV files on the computer. The most useful tools are the noise reduction filter which will minimise rumble and hiss found throughout the recording, and the click and pop eliminator. (If you have a very stubborn click that the auto feature doesn't remove, you can actually zoom right in to the sound wave and manually re-draw the offending segment so that the pop is minimised.)

There are quite a few other tools that will alter the original audio as well, but these are the two that have gotten the most use, and they work very well as long as you have the settings adjusted properly according to the shortcomings of the recording with which you are working.... There is also a feature which will automatically separate your recording into tracks, but I've found that this is iffy at best: for me it's much easier just to manually do the dividing. And while it takes a bit of time to type in each track name, that's just one of those things that have to be done if you want the titles displayed on-screen when playing back the finished files, whether you've just saved them onto your hard drive or have burned a CD from them.

So, if I can figure out how to use Audacity I imagine anyone can do it; it provides very pleasing results for the average listener.

So far I've transferred about forty LPs to the computer, with most of the records dating from the 1950's and 1960's. I've been able to clean up the sound much better than I thought I would in most cases; some of these records were almost painful to listen to when filled with clicks and pops. There have only been a few records that were worn beyond improvement for the capabilities of the software.

One nice feature of this suitcase-like unit is that when not in use I'm able to pack it up (always make sure the tone-arm is clamped down when the machine is to be moved!) and store it away easily. Then when I'm ready to transfer a few records I just bring it out, take off the lid entirely, and set it on the computer desk and get to work.

So, to sum up----no, this unit will not fit the needs of a true audiophile. But if you're like me and have many (hundreds!) of old records that you'd like to transfer to CD, this should do the trick for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crosley Keepsake: Definitely a Keeper!, March 3, 2008
Scott Sowers (Philadelphia, USA) - See all my reviews
I recently started to collect vinyl and was looking for a way to play my records. I wanted something small (I live in studio) and easy on my wallet. I was also looking for something that looked old, but had more modern technolgy. The Crosley Keepsake Turntable was the answer that I was looking for. I have been using it fairly nonstop for 2 weeks now and it has been a blast! What's more, I have installed the software and have been ripping some mp3's! Also, the auxillary jack allows me to play my ipod through the built in speakers (which sound fine for a small, portable record player). Everyone that sees this product asks me about it and they are suprised at how reasonable the price is. I recommend this turntable to anyone looking for a cheap and unique way to enjoy analog music in this digital age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro to Turntables - But note the issues, August 25, 2012
My teen daughter wanted a simple player for Vinyl. I bought this, as it also comes with a USB CONNECTOR and Audacity software to load the vinyl records into a laptop as mp3. Also, this new unit has line out for speakers and also headphone connectors. Beach Audio sent it immediately.

The sound is very decent. The volume is also very very good for a portable unit. But the unit (unpacked according to directions) was initially showing definite signs of warped speed (significant slowdown at one point in each revolution). Also, the turntable was tilted to one side.

We checked under the turntable. There are four (1 inch) springs that 'float' the turntable off the platform. Each of these were stuffed with foam bits - presumably to stabilize and protect them during shipping. So we removed the foam with tweezers (easy to do). But even then the problem was still there. Then we noticed one of the springs was considerably more compressed than the others. We simply removed that spring (again, easy to do). We stretched it out a bit, put it back in, and the turntable finally looked flat, and the speed issues were resolved.

So, if you have an issue like this, I suggest looking at the springs before you send it back. Once this issue was resolved it has been a great new (old) way to experience music. My teen loves it.

Crosley - you need to sort this issue out. This is a fine casual player. But it is marred by poor design of the simplest elements ... springs and the packaging to protect them. If (Crosley) don't want a lot of returns, they need to do something new to ensure all 4 springs arrive according to spec. In the meantime, the issue is easily fixed, if you know where to look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay little player..., August 31, 2012
I originally bought this at an Urban Outfitters because i wanted it in one of the colors that was exclusive to their store. I was hesitant about buying this record player simply because it did not have the outputs to connect to better speakers should i chose to do so. I finally found out that this new model came with them and it was quickly the selling point for me. I had always loved the way this thing looked and was happy that crosley had upgraded the outputs for it. The first unit i got played 45s a little too quickly. This was almost not noticeable up until when a singer would reach a high note or a guitar solo would come up in the music, the sound would just sound very high pitched and squeaky. This probably had something to do with the screw at the top right that you are supposed to screw in before you begin playing would NOT screw all the way in... Decided to take it back and exchange it for a new unit and the second one was much better. The screw at the top right went in nice and clean and my 45s stopped sounding squeaky. I was enjoying it for a couple days once i realized that the design of this record player was simply not going to work for me. The sound that comes out of this thing is pretty decent. Good enough to fill a small bedroom. The sound QUALITY on the other hand, thats a different story. If your an audiophile, you're gonna hate this. If you just want to listen to your records, this will be good enough for you. I also tried record with the USB and i thought it worked great..but i'll come back to this a little later. The one thing i will say right now is that Audacity software is extremely complicated and overwhelming the first time you use it. I thought it was a special software that came for this player, btu it turns out that it is a free software ANYONE can download online from their website. Once you get the hang of the basics, recording is easy. But it takes a lot of research and digging through their website for manuals, instructions, and settings because none of that comes with the cd.

As much as i LOVED the way it looked, it was just too bulky and couldnt find anywhere to put it comfortable in my tiny room. I started realizing that a lot of the construction looked really cheap and the needle and tone arm were probably cheap as well. This was my first record player, so im new to all this, but even I could tell that this was pretty cheap. I realized that this record player is nice and cute, but definitely not worth $160, so i returned it. I quickly found the Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB on amazon for $95! Clearly a MUCH better player than this one for half the cost. Sure, you need to get speakers for it, but at least you dont need to get an expensive preamp or something! You can hook it up to simple computer speakers or any sort of powered speakers for now and save up for nicer speakers a little further down the road. I have mine connected to Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 and it sounds fantastic. The record player is also smaller and much easier to find a spot for if you're living quarters are small like mine. Another thing to note is what i have mentioned about the USB before. I was acutally very impressed when i recorded my first 45 using the crossly player. I decided to record the exact same 45 using the Audio Technica to see if there was a difference and boy was a blown away. I couldnt beleive the difference in sound. The crosley recording came out a little louder, but it had A LOT of extra white noise. The Audio Technica recording was a MUCH cleaner sounding recording. You could still hear the subtle crackling from the vinyl, but not the kind of noise that gets in the way of the music like the crosley recording had. The Audio Technica seemed to record a little lower in volume though, but this can be fixed in the editing process easily.

If all you want this player for is to listen to the vinyl youve got with a sort of vintage sound/feel to it, then this one is cool for you. Also, if you dont care about paying for overpriced items and have enough money to throw away on things you find cute, this record player is good for you. However, if you are like me, a person who wanted to start getting into vinyl and have the option to record those LPs onto mp3, then you should probably look towards the Audio Technica as your first record player. Also, If you are like me and wanted to get the BEST CHEAPEST record player set up, the Audio Technica is the player for you. It sounds much nicer, it looks good, and its cheaper. Dont let the price tag fool you, it is MUCH better built than the crossly. I also feel that it protect your records even more since the record plate is about the size of a 12" record, unlike the crosley plate that is about 7", which leaves your records hanging off the edge. The AT player also has a dustcover, and is also fully automatic. This is great if you are someone who doesnt have steady hands. It moves the needle and drops it in the correct spot every time all on its own. The dustcover might sound like its not big deal, but my records were collecting A LOT of dust when i played them on the crossly, which would then get picked up by the needle. The stylus would be filthy by the end of the record!

I also want to note that if you are an audiophile or have been into record players for a long time, then neither of these two option would be for you. Go straight to the Audio Technica LP 120 (which starts to get expensive.) These two record players are not upgradeable. You cant change the cartridge or the needles or anything. These two are strictly beginner record players or players for a person who just wants an inexpensive, extra player somewhere in the house.

All in all,
Crosley-good, fun beginning record player
Audio Technica- BEST beginning record player

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Disappointment !, May 5, 2009
Joseph Busam (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This is a real heart breaker. First of all the fidelity is so far below average it fell off the chart. My 83 year old Victor Orthophonic Victrola has a better tonal range. Additionally, volume is extremely weak and it seems to bring out more pops and clicks than from any other turntable. And I'm referring to LP's! If you're looking to play your 78rpm records on this thing, forget about it. I discovered that Crosley has a 78 stylus available which I promptly ordered only to discover that it isn't compatible with the cartridge on this model. I spoke to a service rep and they don't make one. As it turns out, I got this as a premium for making a pledge at a local radio station. Had I purchased it outright, it would have gone back pronto! As is, I managed to help out a local commercial free station but I now have a rather expensive doorstop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish but difficult to use, December 24, 2008
LA (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you're buying this just to have a nice-looking portable record player, then you'll probably be happy with this. It's stylish (I actually got the tan one, but there wasn't a way to review it on Amazon) and has built-in speakers so once you turn it on, you're good to go. It's not a Bose sound, but it's not terrible, either. By the way, if you plug the usb cord into the PC you can play the turntable through your PC's speakers (though I don't know why you'd want to).

However, I figure most people are buying this with the grand idea of transferring all their LPs to MP3s. You're going to be disappointed. First of all, the documentation is terrible. By the time you get all the connections right (it'll take a while) and get ready to make your first MP3 transfer from one of your favorite albums, you're going to realize you might have been better off just simply buying the CD or downloading the song(s) you wanted. To transfer an entire album to MP3 will probably take a couple hours or so. Then you'll find when you listen to the transfer, there are a few skips, loops, etc. I'm not a purist, but that will end up being as irritating as the way 8-tracks (remember those?) used to shift in mid-song.

You're better off just transferring one or two songs individually from your favorite albums, which may be what you plan to do anyway since it'll take years to transfer each individual album if you have a large collection. By the way, I also never figured out how to separate the songs so the album is just one really long song. I THOUGHT I figured it out, but it didn't work. Frankly, I was grateful (and relieved) I got the thing working in any fashion after hours of frustration.

Would I buy it again? I don't know. I'm tempted to return it, to be honest. Still, I like the look of it, and if it'll let me record a song or two from my favorite albums, then maybe it'll be worth it.

Here is how Crosley could improve it. Get someone who can read and write English to write the documentation. I'm not trying to be a smartypants. I'm being honest--the manual is a joke. Crosley should also think about using something other than the free Audacity program (or at least including the dll file you're going to need to make MP3s which I had to research and then download from the Internet). There are some good user-friendly software programs out there that will help you record from LP to MP3--give us a break, Crosley, and give us a better one because it reflects on your company. It makes you look cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Item! I'm listening to all my favorite albums on CD!, December 12, 2007
This is a very high quality turntable. The sound of it alone was a shock for being so simple it sounds great! I am making CD's of all my precious records from the 50's and 60's. It is easy after you get all the computer settings done, that is a bit of a challenge but once done making CD's is a snap. Highly recommend this item. I got it in black so it matches my other modern equipment.

Rate and Discover Movies