5.0 out of 5 stars love this little thing
Published 22 months ago by ashleyb

1.0 out of 5 stars Walk away. Just walk away.
Alright... This was my experience with this turntable.

Published 9 months ago by Brennan

5.0 out of 5 stars love this little thing, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Crosley CR8005A-BL Cruiser Portable Turntable (Blue) (Electronics)
i just received my crosley in the mail today. it was packaged extremely well to avoid any mishaps, and as for the whole stuck lid/butter knife thing, mine came wrapped in plastic that fed through the crack between the base and lid into the actual player so i had absolutely no issue opening it. the speakers work wonderfully for my room and i actually prefer not to listen at full volume because it's too loud, so again, i don't get the comments about the player being too quiet. this thing is almost too easy to use--just don't forget to use the adapter on the turntable if you're new to the record world and your vinyls sound warped/use the rubber pad so your records don't wobble. there is almost always a solution to the problems people seem to be having. i have this player in green and it's almost too precious. i definitely recommend it for someone with a small place and for someone who doesn't love the look of really techy players. it's not too small but fits easily on a desk top. and i'm speaking for someone who was really worried about purchasing this and almost didn't because of all the negative reviews floating around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player for what it is designed for, November 29, 2013
Let me start off by saying that I am judging this player based on what it is designed to be: a small, portable player. I'm not going to be one of those guys who compares stuff to their $$$$$$ setups.

I picked this up last night during Black Friday to replace my old system (turntable+preamp+stereo+speakers) and I have to say, it's an awesome little machine. Everything is self contained here, meaning you don't need the absurd amount of equipment I previously listed, but rather can pur on a record and play (just don't be an idiot like me and forget to take the needle cover off and then wonder why it's not working). Just think "Excellent Little Record Player" and you have the basic jist of what this is. There are a few things to note however:

Size: It's actually smaller than it looks. Which is't a bad thing. A 33 1/2 will hang off the side while playing, but that's no big deal. If anything, that only adds to the portability and is a great thing.

Speakers: The only bad thing I can say about this little guy is that his speakers are not very good. Playing straight through the player has a small, thin, tinny sound. This to me isn't worth taking a star off though, because anyone who is into vinyl is going to be running it through an external speaker (I'm just running mine into my iPhone dock and that sounds really good). For what this product is designed to be (a small and mainly PORTABLE player), you can't really fit larger speakers on it, so like I said before, it's a non-issue. Also, there is a headphone jack so you can plug in there.

If you're already into vinyl and want a smaller player to travel with or are looking for something less expensive to start your journey into audiophilia, this is a great little player. Between the Black Friday sale and my employee discount at my store, I was able to get one for $30 so I'm absolutely in heaven. I would still gladly pay 100-120 for this, and most I'm seeing here on Amazon are hovering around $90 with free shipping, so it really is a no brainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Walk away. Just walk away., March 22, 2014
Alright... This was my experience with this turntable.

A few months back, I had the opportunity to listen to vinyl the way it was meant to be heard. An old friend of mine invited me over to listen to some records of some post hardcore and progressive albums of some guys we listened to back in middle school and high school. My mind was blown at the sound quality. He went on to explain how vinyls work and the benefits to having an analog sound and all of that good stuff. After hearing the quality of the sound as well as the nostalgia overload, I knew this was something I was going to get into eventually.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to finally pull the trigger on starting this obsession. However, I'm a college student with plenty of bills to pay, and didn't want to jump right into spending $800 on a setup when I knew I was going to spend a crap load of money on vinyls as it was, and not knowing if this was something I was going to stick with or not.

I did a lot of research. Basically everyone was telling me something I was very familiar with, (I'm a computers/tablets salesman) which was "You get what you pay for." And more specifically, "You want to spend at least $350-$400." I still knew I wasn't ready to drop that kind of cash. I ended up asking a couple of my friends who were also getting into the hobby of vinyl collecting, and they recommended this little guy. They told me not to pay attention to the reviews, and that it was a great turntable to start with. I looked at the reviews anyways, and came to the conclusion that hey, its has 4 stars. The thing cant be that bad. So I ordered it.

It came in a couple days later, and I was able to put a couple of the records I had already purchased to the test. I am not joking when I say I started laughing when I heard the sound of these speakers. I have heard better sound quality out of a 10 year old boombox in my parents' garage. I thought, no worries, I'll just use my computer speakers (Klipsch Pro Media 2.1) and that solved the problem for the most part. The issue was using the 3.5mm input on the turntable. It threw off the one good thing about this turntable, its aesthetics. Having a cable sticking out of the top of it just looks bad. First world problem, but believe me when I say that the aesthetics are the only good thing about this product. I ended up buying some new speakers to utilize the RCA out on the back of the table. They sounded pretty solid. I was satisfied for the most part.

About a week after it arrived, some new vinyls arrived. They were brand new from Amazon. Both albums skipped on the first couple of tracks. I figured since it was only the first couple tracks that it was probably just the albums. I took the albums back to my friend's house and tested them on his killer setup, and not a single skip. I contacted one of my friends who recently purchased this table and she told me that hers would skip for no reason as well. It was then I realized I didn't have a defective unit, I had purchased a defective product. I went out and bought a new turntable, and I cannot wait for it to get here.

I went out this weekend and purchased several more records. I just got backed to my apartment and decided to spin some of the albums. I noticed something else that was mentioned in all of these reviews. People were saying that it played records at a slightly slower speed, just enough to barely notice and then drive you crazy. They weren't lying. Unless I'm focusing on something else, it's not even worth using. Everything sound slightly out of tune, and as a musician, that sound is unbearable.

The only cool thing about this turntable is the way it looks. If you are buying this because you want to stick the tip in and see if you wanna start collecting vinyls, don't buy it. If your friends tell you not to read the reviews, read them anyways, and don't buy it. If your friends tell you that it's not that bad and to go ahead and buy it, don't buy it. Save up a little more and buy something worth while.

Side note, this is the first product I've ever been dissatisfied with to the point of writing a review. Don't buy it. Just don't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, folks, it's as bad as people say, October 4, 2014
I was recently given a brand new Crosley Cruiser. I'm a vinyl enthusiast and have been using various turntables for over 30 years.

Some first impressions:

* It's cute! The cosmetic design is really quite charming and I can see why people are attracted to it.

* It weighs nothing. Seriously. The dust cover on my Technics turntable weighs more than this thing.

* It's completely plug-and-play. Easy to understand why vinyl newbies find Crosleys less intimidating than more sophisticated turntables. You literally just plug it into a power outlet and start playing. There is absolutely no setup required.

* Sound output is pathetically weak. Even with the volume turned all the way up, the Cruiser isn't as loud as my cell phone's built-in speaker.

* The quality of the sound is also substantially worse than my cell phone. Stereo 33s sound like mono 78s.

None of this is new information, of course, but having never owned or used a Crosley I wanted to see and hear for myself. And it was free, so I had nothing to lose.

Out of curiosity, I dug out my digital stylus force gauge to find out if the tracking force is really as heavy as many reviewers have claimed. Yes, folks, it is. So heavy, in fact, that it wouldn't even register on my gauge (which maxes out at 5 grams).

(For those of you who are new to this: anything over 3 grams is likely to cause premature wear and damage to your records, ESPECIALLY if the stylus is of poor quality -- which is the case with the Crosley Cruiser stylus.)

The sapphire stylus, attached to a crude plastic cantilever, is enormous. I can't imagine that it would be much safer than playing your records with a rusty nail. It might be ok for playing some trashed old 78s but it'll chew up your 33s and 45s quickly.

PLEASE, folks: if you are spending 20 or 30 bucks each on brand new records, do not play them on this record player. You might as well just toss your money in the garbage.

There are a handful of Crosleys that come with a gentle and respectable AT-3600 cartridge/diamond stylus, such as the Collegiate, the Advance, and the Spinnerette. It would be safe to consider those a MAJOR upgrade over the crude cartridge/stylus used on the Cruiser and most other Crosleys. (Also, the tracking force on the Collegiate/Spinnerette/Advance can be adjusted, but I can find no practical way to do this on the Cruiser or its similar siblings.)

There is an "upgrade" stylus you can buy for the Cruiser, with a diamond stylus and metal cantilever... but that'll run you about $20. If you're already planning to spend $80-$100 on a Cruiser, plus $20 for a better stylus, you might as well just buy the Collegiate instead, thereby getting the much better AT-3600 included in the price AND the ability to adjust the tracking force.

Better yet, spend an extra $70 on a nice hand-built Made-in-USA U-Turn Orbit... or, if you don't mind pre-owned stuff, find yourself a good vintage turntable, easily obtained for less than the price of a Crosley.

I realize this doesn't answer the question of what to buy if you want something portable and plug-and-play. If those are essential requirements, I would grudgingly recommend the Crosley Collegiate. Its quality and reliability aren't much better than the Cruiser, but at least it will be a lot less likely to destroy your records.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am happy with this little guy. Don't listen to the negative reviews!!! Unless your a music snob...then by all means., December 12, 2014
I read many reviews before purchasing this turntable, and I am glad I went through with the purchase. I have been wanting to listen to my records that had been collecting dust and other sites just weren't cutting it...I ain't made of money. This little diddy is less than $100 and it plays my dusty records. I can hear them loud and clear. Granted, you can't turn the volume all the way up without some sound issues. Plugging in some speaker should do the trick! I have this in my room currently and the sound travels pretty damned well without the need to add said speakers. Don't expect God's gift to music, but definitely buy this if you are looking to listen to some Carole King albums that have been tucked under your bed for ages. I'm very content with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, and Not Worth Your Time, June 7, 2014
I don't consider myself an audiophile, so I find it hard to get an opinion on an audio product because everyone has different tolerance for sound and it is very objective. I think I am one of those who can say I'm not too picky with my music quality. as long as its audible and clear, that's all that really matters to me. However, on trying this Crosley Cruiser out on my copy of John Mayer's Continuum, there were many annoyances I couldn't take.

First of all, the level of volume you set on the knob seemed to determine, on my unit, how many speakers would be playing. If iI set it too low, my right one would completely cut out. Also, if I turned it too loud (as my ears are sensitive to sound I would say this would be only halfway to the max) the speakers would hiss and crack as if it was overloaded with outlier frequencies from the record, or an excess in sound output from the record. Now, keep in mind I was playing JOHN MAYER, some of the softest music I can think of, and the speakers couldn't handle it.

Second, the line out port in the back did not work, I plugged it into many a speaker and i had no control over the volume, and it was loud as s*** when I did that. also, the aux output in the back, when something was plugged in (it didn't even have to be connected on the other end!), the player did not work. shameful.

However, it was constructed nicely, it felt a little frail and plastic-y on the inside, but the exterior was nice. That's about it.

I have learned my lesson on this one. My advice to you all is this: If you truly love vinyl, the experience of a warm, soothing tone from records, look elsewhere. while this product is temptingly cool in appearance and portable, it is not a usable piece of equipment. If you truly love vinyl, you will stay away from all Crosley and buy a setup. Crosley has a near monopoly on these type of products so you can imagine their quality has suffered lately. I am currently looking into an Audio-Technica turntable + bookshelf speakers combo on Amazon for $150. It won't look cool, and it's twice as much, but it's what my records need. I love the vinyl medium, but I'm not going to insult it by playing records on this piece of utter garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Machine!, November 25, 2014
Don't even bother with the negativity of this product. Some people can be way to picky, and thats alright! This little player does what it's meant to do! It is small, and very compact! This system can also be used for regular/everyday record play in your home (obviously!)

Now! Down to the basics!
This is a portable record player, so don't expect GREAT SURROUND SOUND WITH BUMPIN'-BOOMING BASE OR GREAT BUILT IN SPEAKER QUALITY! You can only compact so much into small Record Player's like this! I bought this player a few days ago cause I was desperately missing the sound of vinyl in my life. I am what some would call a "audiophile person". This little player does it's job well! I played my Michael Jackson Records, and Justin Timberlakes 20/20 Experience on this thing, and it sounds amazing. Not "as amazing" as it does when it has my speaker system hooked up to it! But for built in record player speakers, it isn't "so bad".
This is a very nice record player for beginners, or anyone looking to enjoy vinyl again, or maybe just have a portable record player to take to the beach or a friends house.

My Pros/Cons:
I love how you are able to hookup your OWN speakers/headphones to this machine and how it has a AUX input to plug your MP3 Player, iPhone, or any other device in that nature. It also has RCA Jacks in the back for speakers that support RCA cable instead of the standard Jack.

The built in speakers is honestly my only con when it comes to this machine. No your not going to get the greatest sound of it, and I didn't expect to get that good of sound coming out of the built in speakers, but for what it's worth it isn't so bad! I prefer hooking up my own speaker system anyway (even if it didn't have built in speakers).

The material is very nice, and leathery. Feels like a very sturdy, and well built machine for the price! It also has a "needle lifter" (as some may call it) so you don't have to lift the needle off a record with your hands and risk scratching it.

The design is so original and very 60's-70's for anyone who cares about looks.

Bigger records do hang off the edge a bit, but don't rub against the top of the lid. You can detach the lid by unscrewing it if you wish.

Overall, this is a 5-Star machine, and i'm not taking off a star just because the built in speakers aren't that great! It does it's job, and that is to play records! It's served me well so far and I haven't had any issues with it! I recommend this machine to anyone looking for a portable record player, or anyone to get into audiophile or record collecting themselves. =]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, January 18, 2013
Bought this for a friend who wanted to start a record collection. It serves that function perfectly. Great for relaxing, sitting around listening... it's not loud enough to host a party and blast some tunes... but it does have an audio out option so you could hook it up to bigger speakers. If you're a crazy audiophile looking for perfect sound... prob not for you, but if you're some hipster who thinks records are cool and want to rock some jams... I give this two thumbs up.

1.0 out of 5 stars one MAJOR problem..., August 15, 2013
Let me start with the good:

This record player looks nice. It looks great in a small space, especially one with a retro-vibe. From a distance it even looks like a quality product, up close it does look a little cheaper (plastic, etc...)
So, if you want this just for looks, have at it.

But, if you want to play vinyl...

here's the bad:

Others have mentioned that the speakers sound "small" or bad, but I thought they actually sound fine, however, it becomes irrelevant because the sound produced is always at an inaccurate pace. All records I played were either too fast or too slow. At first they were always too slow. Then I noticed that LP's (33 records) were so big (and the player so small) that they were dragging on the opened lid. This is nothing more than an absolute design flaw and should have never been released for sale. However, I took the lid completely off and then found that records played at variable speeds. I was using the provided rubber slip mat, but it made no difference.

Here is the problem: This player is BELT DRIVEN. Belt drive is simply a bad design and I will NEVER purchase another player that is belt driven. I'm sure there are some good players out there (for much more money) that are in fact belt driven and work fine, but eventually it will lead to this same problem.

The solution?

Buy a direct-drive turntable. It's the ONLY way to avoid this! I returned this and purchased an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 here at Amazon, and it's been the happiest purchase I've made in a decade! It's very pricey compared to this (I paid $242) so if you're not serious about LP's/vinyl I wouldn't recommend it. But if you are, and you want the best - it's an amazing value actually! Seeing a "real" turntable reminded me that this IS complicated business. It requires things like counterweights (adjustable depending on the stylus), anti-skate control, and tone arm assembly height adjustments. This Crosley doesn't take ANY of that into consideration!

I don't write many reviews, but this product was SO poorly made, I felt I had to.
Likewise, the Audio-Technica is SO well made, I will write a review for it too!

I only paid $49.00 for this product (the red one) during a holiday sale, but $5.00 would have been too much, because it simply does NOT work! And that my friends, is one MAJOR problem.

Good luck.....

5.0 out of 5 stars cute, practical, great sound, great price, October 28, 2014
Not only is this record player extremely CUTE, it also has a pretty great sound. Now, I'm NOT comparing it to a full sound system and a record player with external speakers. That would be dumb. For what it is, a portable record player, it gets great sound, gets quite loud (loud enough to be heard in every room of my 3 bedroom house), and is easy to operate. It's great for someone in a small house or apartment. I often take it outside on my porch or to a friends house (who doesn't have a record player but loves them for dinner parties). Plus, the gorgeous teal/turquoise color gets SO MANY compliments!

Crosley CR8005A-BL Cruiser Portable Turntable (Blue)
$99.95 $79.95