Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Color: TurquoiseChange

on February 18, 2013
i just received my crosley in the mail today. it was packaged extremely well to avoid any mishaps, and as for the whole stuck lid/butter knife thing, mine came wrapped in plastic that fed through the crack between the base and lid into the actual player so i had absolutely no issue opening it. the speakers work wonderfully for my room and i actually prefer not to listen at full volume because it's too loud, so again, i don't get the comments about the player being too quiet. this thing is almost too easy to use--just don't forget to use the adapter on the turntable if you're new to the record world and your vinyls sound warped/use the rubber pad so your records don't wobble. there is almost always a solution to the problems people seem to be having. i have this player in green and it's almost too precious. i definitely recommend it for someone with a small place and for someone who doesn't love the look of really techy players. it's not too small but fits easily on a desk top. and i'm speaking for someone who was really worried about purchasing this and almost didn't because of all the negative reviews floating around.
1919 comments895 of 965 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
Let me start off by saying that I am judging this player based on what it is designed to be: a small, portable player. I'm not going to be one of those guys who compares stuff to their $$$$$$ setups.

I picked this up last night during Black Friday to replace my old system (turntable+preamp+stereo+speakers) and I have to say, it's an awesome little machine. Everything is self contained here, meaning you don't need the absurd amount of equipment I previously listed, but rather can pur on a record and play (just don't be an idiot like me and forget to take the needle cover off and then wonder why it's not working). Just think "Excellent Little Record Player" and you have the basic jist of what this is. There are a few things to note however:

Size: It's actually smaller than it looks. Which is't a bad thing. A 33 1/2 will hang off the side while playing, but that's no big deal. If anything, that only adds to the portability and is a great thing.

Speakers: The only bad thing I can say about this little guy is that his speakers are not very good. Playing straight through the player has a small, thin, tinny sound. This to me isn't worth taking a star off though, because anyone who is into vinyl is going to be running it through an external speaker (I'm just running mine into my iPhone dock and that sounds really good). For what this product is designed to be (a small and mainly PORTABLE player), you can't really fit larger speakers on it, so like I said before, it's a non-issue. Also, there is a headphone jack so you can plug in there.

If you're already into vinyl and want a smaller player to travel with or are looking for something less expensive to start your journey into audiophilia, this is a great little player. Between the Black Friday sale and my employee discount at my store, I was able to get one for $30 so I'm absolutely in heaven. I would still gladly pay 100-120 for this, and most I'm seeing here on Amazon are hovering around $90 with free shipping, so it really is a no brainer.
44 comments334 of 387 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2014
Alright... This was my experience with this turntable.

A few months back, I had the opportunity to listen to vinyl the way it was meant to be heard. An old friend of mine invited me over to listen to some records of some post hardcore and progressive albums of some guys we listened to back in middle school and high school. My mind was blown at the sound quality. He went on to explain how vinyls work and the benefits to having an analog sound and all of that good stuff. After hearing the quality of the sound as well as the nostalgia overload, I knew this was something I was going to get into eventually.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to finally pull the trigger on starting this obsession. However, I'm a college student with plenty of bills to pay, and didn't want to jump right into spending $800 on a setup when I knew I was going to spend a crap load of money on vinyls as it was, and not knowing if this was something I was going to stick with or not.

I did a lot of research. Basically everyone was telling me something I was very familiar with, (I'm a computers/tablets salesman) which was "You get what you pay for." And more specifically, "You want to spend at least $350-$400." I still knew I wasn't ready to drop that kind of cash. I ended up asking a couple of my friends who were also getting into the hobby of vinyl collecting, and they recommended this little guy. They told me not to pay attention to the reviews, and that it was a great turntable to start with. I looked at the reviews anyways, and came to the conclusion that hey, its has 4 stars. The thing cant be that bad. So I ordered it.

It came in a couple days later, and I was able to put a couple of the records I had already purchased to the test. I am not joking when I say I started laughing when I heard the sound of these speakers. I have heard better sound quality out of a 10 year old boombox in my parents' garage. I thought, no worries, I'll just use my computer speakers (Klipsch Pro Media 2.1) and that solved the problem for the most part. The issue was using the 3.5mm input on the turntable. It threw off the one good thing about this turntable, its aesthetics. Having a cable sticking out of the top of it just looks bad. First world problem, but believe me when I say that the aesthetics are the only good thing about this product. I ended up buying some new speakers to utilize the RCA out on the back of the table. They sounded pretty solid. I was satisfied for the most part.

About a week after it arrived, some new vinyls arrived. They were brand new from Amazon. Both albums skipped on the first couple of tracks. I figured since it was only the first couple tracks that it was probably just the albums. I took the albums back to my friend's house and tested them on his killer setup, and not a single skip. I contacted one of my friends who recently purchased this table and she told me that hers would skip for no reason as well. It was then I realized I didn't have a defective unit, I had purchased a defective product. I went out and bought a new turntable, and I cannot wait for it to get here.

I went out this weekend and purchased several more records. I just got backed to my apartment and decided to spin some of the albums. I noticed something else that was mentioned in all of these reviews. People were saying that it played records at a slightly slower speed, just enough to barely notice and then drive you crazy. They weren't lying. Unless I'm focusing on something else, it's not even worth using. Everything sound slightly out of tune, and as a musician, that sound is unbearable.

The only cool thing about this turntable is the way it looks. If you are buying this because you want to stick the tip in and see if you wanna start collecting vinyls, don't buy it. If your friends tell you not to read the reviews, read them anyways, and don't buy it. If your friends tell you that it's not that bad and to go ahead and buy it, don't buy it. Save up a little more and buy something worth while.

Side note, this is the first product I've ever been dissatisfied with to the point of writing a review. Don't buy it. Just don't.
4545 comments715 of 854 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2014
Very cheaply made. Sound is horrible. The tone arm is so light that every album skips from the first track to the middle of the album whether it be brand new or from my 1970"s collection. I returned this immediately for a refund. Don't waste your time or money on this P.O.S. Thank you Amazon for your generous return policy.
44 comments106 of 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2014
Full disclosure: I'm a vinyl enthusiast and have been using turntables for over 30 years. I also rebuild and restore vintage turntables.

Pros:

* It's cute! The cosmetic design is really quite charming and I can see why people are attracted to it.

* It weighs nothing. Seriously. The dust cover on my Technics turntable weighs more than this thing.

* It's completely plug-and-play. Easy to understand why newcomers are less intimidated by Crosleys than by more sophisticated turntables. You literally just plug it into a power outlet and start playing. There is absolutely no setup required.

Cons:

* Sound output is pathetically weak. Even with the volume turned all the way up, the Cruiser's two speakers aren't as loud as my cell phone's tiny single speaker.

* The quality of the sound is also substantially worse than my cell phone. Stereo 33s sound like mono 78s.

* This record player will destroy your records. How? Keep reading.

Out of curiosity, I dug out my digital stylus force gauge to find out if the tracking force is really as heavy as some reviewers have claimed. Yes, folks, it is. So heavy, in fact, that it wouldn't even register on my gauge (which maxes out at 5 grams).

(For those of you who are new to all this: anything over 3 grams is likely to cause premature wear and damage to your records, ESPECIALLY if the stylus is of poor quality -- which is the case with the Crosley Cruiser stylus.)

The sapphire stylus, attached to a crude plastic cantilever, is enormous. I can't imagine that it would be much safer than playing your records with a rusty nail. It might be okay for playing some trashed old 78s but it'll chew up your 33s and 45s quickly.

PLEASE, folks: if you are spending 20 or 30 bucks each on brand new records, do not play them on this record player. You might as well just toss your money in the garbage.

There are a handful of Crosleys that come with a gentle and respectable Audio-Technica 3600 cartridge with diamond stylus, such as the Collegiate, the Advance, and the Spinnerette. It would be safe to consider those a MAJOR upgrade over the crude cartridge/stylus used on the Cruiser and most other Crosleys. (Also, the tracking force on the Collegiate/Spinnerette/Advance can be adjusted, but I can't find any practical way to do this on the Cruiser or its similar siblings.)

There is an "upgrade" stylus you can buy for the Cruiser, with a diamond stylus and metal cantilever... but that'll run you about $20. If you're already planning to spend $80-$100 on a Cruiser, plus $20 for a better stylus, you might as well just buy the Collegiate instead, thereby getting the much better AT-3600 included in the price AND the ability to adjust the tracking force.

Better yet, spend an extra $70 on a nice hand-built Made-in-USA U-Turn Orbit... or, if you don't mind pre-owned stuff, find yourself a good vintage turntable, easily obtained for less than the price of a Crosley.

I realize this doesn't answer the question of what to buy if you want something portable and plug-and-play. If those are essential requirements, I would grudgingly recommend the Crosley Collegiate. Its quality and reliability aren't much better than the Cruiser, but at least it's less likely to destroy your records.
88 comments122 of 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2013
This record player looks great but does not work. After about a week it stopped playing the records at a consistent speed making everything sound warped. I got it replaced hoping it was just a fluke but the same thing happened with the second one. I would not recommend this product.
11 comment64 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2015
I was so excited to receive this record player. Then I realized none of my records would play. I even bought a few new ones, still did not work. As the other reviewers said the arm is not heavy enough. HOWEVER, if you simply secure a quarter to the flat space just behind the needle on the top of the arm, they all play perfectly. I didn't want to return it, but I can see why people did. The quarter doesn't bother me, you could probably use something cooler. I hope this helps some of you enjoy your Crosley. (Ps I secured mine with a tiny price of rolled tape.)
review image
11 comment57 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2015
Exactly what I wanted. Beautiful design and not too complicated to assemble.
on February 10, 2014
Designed so poorly - lid rubs against record if not completely open.
Sounds horrible - I buy vinyl for the quality of the sound, and this player slows down and speeds up records distorting the sound completely! Even for the low price I recommend buying something else because you will be disappointed.
11 comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2015
Great price but it doesn't play many new records well. The record store told us that it was a complaint by many customers. Apparently it will only play records with fewer songs on each side because the grooves are large enough to not cause the needle to skip. We tried 2 new albums that had "too many" songs on each side and it skipped and distorted the sound. We took the records back (assuming they were the issue) and they sounded great at the store but won't work well on this record player. We plan on returning it and saving up for a better turntable.
review image
0Comment37 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse