5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy
Spotted this radio in Target first, and had to get it. Looks fantastic - quality retro look plus the sound to match. Sound has depth and clarity. Dial fine tunes and it's easy to tune to those stations that are sometimes hard to get. Powerful little thing. If you appreciate simplicity, this is it! Plug in and you're happy!
Published on June 25, 2008 by finicky shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice radio
I saw the black radio in the local Target store and thought it was really a beauty, and what a radio used to be (I'm a ham radio operator). What I really like about it is that it is continuously tune-able. If there is a heterodyne from a neighboring station, I can tune away from the noise.

The sound is wonderful.

I was surprised and a little...
Published on January 16, 2009 by Thomas J. Fitzsimmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, June 25, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled! long range champ, October 8, 2008
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
When I think of the money I've spent on high-end receivers, its just ironic that this cute little inexpensive thing delivered so much better performance, it made everything else sound like junk.
Its currently connected to a hi-fi class amplifier that cost 21 times more than this little receiver.
I liked the Crosley Solo so much because of its ability for cleaner performance from distant stations--and all of the stations are distant from my house.
The easy way: Try this with headphones and you may get the highest quality sound you've ever experienced from audio equipment that costs less than a car. Why not combine this with Koss Porta Pro headphones, and find out? ;)

UPdate:

The drinking straws trick for the port tube can clarify the bass if you like. Just get enough straws together to fill the port tube (its on the back), plug up (tape over) 1/3rd of the straws, cut the straws to 2" long, wrap this up in tape and place it in the port tube. This will lower the bass pitch to "farther away" from the vocals. It just makes the port tube 1/3rd smaller. ;)

The rear antenna unscrews to reveal a standard "F" connector if you'd like to use a long-distance outdoor antenna with it. I can pick up FM Stereo stations halfway across the state with it. Otherwise it tops out at about 150 miles static free FM stereo on the little antenna that comes with it. That, of course, is a blockbuster performance as well.
The headphone jack pipes directly to the preamp section aboard the radio card, using the exact same model opamps that are aboard the M-Audio Audiophile 192 computer sound card. Whatever amplifier you'd use with a high end sound card, will also work with the Crosley Solo.

The onboard power amp is a TDA7266, and because it has a "real" amplifier aboard as well as an active crossover, it needs a "real" transformer, which could not fit into the radio. That explains why its power pack is rather huge. If you'd like to "greenwash" it, know that it is compatible with alternative power cords, such as whatever efficient Switchmode you'd use to power a Tripath. Or you could just use an in-line foot switch for the cord if you're worried about the 25 cents worth of power consumption. As for me, I appreciate the higher class linear supply that comes with it as well as the onboard capacitive multiplier (similar to high end Super Reg) inside the radio. For power efficiency, please DO consider the job that gets done (A LOT!) and not just the watts. Whatever you make of all this technical chatter, just know that you do get your money's worth inside the radio, and that it didn't run up my power bill at all.

I have three of them and they're all slightly different. Only one didn't measure up, so I exchanged it, and all is fine. On another, the AM didn't work well, but the FM was even better, so I kept it and use it on my home stereo (every day).

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice radio, January 16, 2009
Thomas J. Fitzsimmons "TomF" (Bismarck, North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews

The sound is wonderful.

I was surprised and a little disappointed to see that the radio runs with an external power supply that converts the house AC voltage to 12 Volts DC. The power supply has two long cords on it, and the supply measures 2 X 2-1/2 X 3-1/2 inches, and is a good weight, so you have to consider where you are going to hide it and run all the wire.

Our local FM reception for the station I like, public radio, is very hard to select with these cheap digital-tuned CD and radio receivers we had before. It seems as though 90 percent of the local stations are religious stations with constant sermons and hymns, so I am glad to be able to get the public radio station.

3.0 out of 5 stars theres no iphone dock. you have to connect yours with a wire., November 7, 2011
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
someone complained about their iphone not fitting in the dock below. i just wanted to clarify, this model is not the iphone dock. please click if you find this info useful. b/c i found this by searching for retro iphone dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought by mistake, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
This is the best mistake my husband ever made. He wanted a radio for our newborn daughter's bedroom that we could connect my iPod to, and set up naptime and playtime playlists, etc. He bought this on clearance for about $40, and thought he'd paid too much for it but liked the look and figured, hey, it's for a baby's room and it has an iPod connection. It has sat in her bedroom for the past year, rarely used and never turned up loud. Today I moved it into the kitchen so we'd get more use out of it, and I am completely blown away.

I'm a musician and tend to be very picky about sound quality. This little unassuming radio totally delivers. It has a wonderful balance (not even a little tinny-sounding) and actually gets quite loud--we can hear it when we work in the garage and if I turn it way up I can clean the bathrooms at the other end of the house and still hear it without any distortion in sound quality. Mids are delivered beautifully, and every part of any piece of music can be heard. In fact, I think this little guy sounds better than the $1,800 system in my car....

The final touch is the tuning dial. We have a hard time getting our two favorite stations at our house, but not any longer! It only took a few seconds of fine tuning to get each of them today.

In short:
1. It sounds about the same as the Bose dock systems I've used, but those don't have radios.
2. The placement of the speaker on top lets it fill a room better with music than the Bose systems.
3. It looks a lot sleeker and more fun that the Bose systems.

For 1/5th the price, it's completely worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 18, 2010
D. Welter (Fort Bragg, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
I wish I was happy with this radio. It looks great, has a small footprint, and the dials have a firm feel. The power converter must have been changed since the period in which complaints were posted about its size. Ours is fairly modest as those things go.

It's just puzzling that there are so many accolades for the sound quality. It's not bad for music, but news programs sound like they are coming from the bottom of a wash tub. Why there is no tone adjustment is beyond me.

Why, with the availability of so many cheap clock radios, is it so hard to find a good-sounding, inexpensive, stand-alone radio?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound, reseption, design!!!, June 15, 2008
valobou (Vancouver BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
My first impression was design. It is really good looking radio. Analog tuning is smooth and heavy, very sensitive and enjoyable to operate. Telescopic antenna is very effective and convenient compare with wire the other table radio like Boston Acoustic. FM is impressive, very clear and smooth. Sound is very detailed with bright fidelity of definition. I have enjoyed to listening jazz, classical music, but it is individual. Compare with Boston Acoustic, Crosley Solo has more rough bass than Boston. My primary attentions were sound, reception and design. Those combinations with price make this radio desirable ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, excellent sound on FM, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
However, AM is almost not there, not a problem for me, as I have another dedicated AM/shortwave radio. I love the Crosley Solo, it has a great stylish retro look. Great ergonomics, solid casework, smooth easy analog dialing. I got very good reception on my major FM stations with just the single telescope antenna. I had to move it around to get AM...that's really a poor feature for this radio. You can unscrew the telescope antenna and find a standard F connector for a coaxial antenna. I did that, ran a 6-foot coax to an old pair of rabbit ears, placed them near a window, and got an amazing improvement on FM reception. The analog dial-in is very selective and sensitive. The sound is great, well balanced...however, no controls for bass and treble, but I don't think I need it for this radio...it's not a heavy investment. I listen to a lot of classical, especially chamber music, I think the range is excellent for a small radio. It reminds me of the old KLH 21. Incidentally, the one that I bought from Target does not have the big bulky power supply/transformer...they must have done something to solve that problem. Mine just has a small matchbox size plug-in. For $70-80, it's a great personal radio...Oh, apparently you can plug in Ipod/CD player, I haven't tried that yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro good looks and great sound, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
Bought this because we needed a small footprint radio for a kitchen window sill. Nice looking slightly retro/art deco with the continuous heterodyne tuning dial. Case would be nicer if made from an exotic burl veneer with a high gloss- but dark brown/black is OK. Mainly purchase this because of reviews praising the sound quality. It does put out a lot of deep rich clear bass tones and better sound quality than the Bose radio. Might be nice to have controls for treble and bass. Also a backlit dial may have added to the aesthetics. Power transformer block is large, but easily hidden out of sight behind the radio. Overall best little radio I have ever owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing retro look and operation, December 5, 2009
This review is from: Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black (Electronics)
There is not much I can add which wasn't written. This radio called to me when I saw it, and yes, I was aware of the large power adapter.

The sound is warm, and wood is such a relief from plastic casings. I paid @70 before taxes and I'm not disappointed. You could do a lot worse. big sound for the size, I consider it my poor man's Bose.

Crosley Solo Radio CR221 Black