4.0 out of 5 stars Crosman M 417 Review
Published on February 28, 2012 by J. Ford in Charlotte, NC

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost power on first trip
Bought this and used it for one trip. Shot a few founds to adjust the sites. I enjoyed it, but after that it no longer held air. Unfortunately I purchased it 5 weeks ago so I can not return it. Let's see what the warranty is like.....
Published 10 months ago by jeffrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Crosman M 417 Review, February 28, 2012
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
I have had this rifle for a few days now and I think that I have had enough time with it to write a review that would be a fair for the item. Overall I really like the gun as far as the appearance goes and how it feels to shoot. I do wish that it was a little more powerful. The Crosman that it replaced, a Powermaster 66, seems to have had a lot more velocity when pumped up to the recommended 10 strokes. This M 417 seems to be a bit lacking in the power department somewhat. I still like the rifle though. It is very accurate when you find the right pellet for it. I just came in from doing some target practice and found that using bb's or off brand pellets, it is all over the place. Then I tried the Crosman Destroyer pellets, and using a bench rest, wound up getting a 1 1/4 inch 5 round group at 20 yards. I was very pleased with that. That would not be a bad result using a 22 cal. rifle. The Destroyer pellets seem to be what the M 417 needed to get to it's best performance. I have tried the Crosman pointed pellets with mediocre results, and have yet to try the hollow points. Am hoping to get similar results with them, but time will tell. Will update this review if there is any worthwhile change in the performance. Overall, I would definitely reccommend this rifle. It seems to be well built and it feels good to shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars This ain't no Red Ryder, Ralphie!, December 21, 2011
Geoff (Connecticut snob, temporarily on loan to South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
When I saw the box for this at Wally-world, I fell in love. (Then saw that all three boxes had been ripped open and the rifle stolen!) If there was ever a better indication of a "Hot New Product" then that, I don't know what is! The gal behind the counter said they had given up after the tenth shoplifter, so I came to good 'ol reliable Amazon.

I also Googled a lot of reviews and YouTube'd a bunch of videos by "experts" on the rifle, and what they say holds true. It's a really fun gun.

First, this may be mostly plastic, but it's SOLID, and feels nice and heavy. (about 5 lbs) And video-game jaded kids will love the look and feel of this plinker.

Modeled on an AR15, this rifle has an adjustable stock (allowing for kids of an appropriate age AND adults to use it comfortably), rifled barrel, 4 Picatinny rails: one above the receiver, one under the hand-guard/pump, and two mini-rails above and below the front of the barrel. It comes with adjustable front & flip-rear sights that can be adjusted for wind age and elevation, and can be removed to add a scope. I purchased a nice simple Swiss Arms 4x32 rifle scope, which works fine for the 50-75 foot range this gun reaches accurately using .177 pellets. The "Magazine" under the receiver is hollow, and is used for storage of the (included) mini-screwdriver for adjusting the sights, and for storing a spare pellet mag-strip.

The Picatinny rails under the barrel and the hand-guard are VERY limited in use, as anything too large will interfere with the pump-action. but a mini-flashlight will fit. (or a bayonet lug? heh... just kidding yer honor)

The rifle is single-action, and after 4-pumps it starts getting kind of stiff, but at 5 pumps I was punching through 4 layers of thick cardboard at 25 feet like a hot knife through butter (the manufacturer recommends that you not exceed 10 pumps). The safety is nicely placed just in front of the trigger, which has a very smooth action. Cycling the bolt back, loading a 5-round .177 strip/magazine in one side, advancing the magazine one "click" and then sliding the bolt home is quite viscerally satisfying.

There is a reservoir in the pistol-grip that holds 350 bb's, and loading is... odd, but not bad. You flick a switch that connects the hopper with the bolt, point the barrel down and give it a shake, then flip the switch forward to lock a bb in place. Cycling the bolt allows a small magnet to grab the bb and chamber it.

I'm betting that some parent's group will demand this thing be banned inside of 6-months, and as such I believe it will become a "Collectors Item".

5.0 out of 5 stars best air gun I have owned in 60 years, December 15, 2011
Carol A. Anderson (depends on the time of year) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
Owned single shot crosman tourment pistol for 35 years. Great gun, hated single load, single shot. Bought crosman 760 because price, multi BB capacity and 5 shot pellet clip. 760 was ok, but low on distance and the stock broke off on about 10th use. However, I bought 8 extra 5 round pellet clips and loved that concept. So not finding any other air guns that feature these clips, I Found the M417. It arrived and I love it. I had a UTG led light/laser combo and got it mounted just barely under muzzle. It did pump harder then the 760 but only for a few times. I have nine clips, 5 fit in the removable magazine box. However there is a whole in the rear stock and I made a velcro cover for it and store the other clips in that whole. I marked the clips two each with spray color and use different type pellets in those clips. The gun at 40 ft is as accurate on targets as my 597 .22 rifle with scope. The UTG light/laser are great for night shots. I use chrome BBs to the keep dog pacs from coming into our 2 acre front yard. Day or night. I love this toy/ tool. Nearly twice the accuraccy of the 760 and no broken off stock from pumping it up. IMHO best multi pellet gun in price range. Szpend a little more and get one or two. Cheers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great look and feel! Decent power.. Won't burn a whole in your wallet either!, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
When I first saw this air rifle I wanted it SO bad. I convinced myself I didn't truly "need" it so I skipped buying it. The itch never went away though. The next time I was at the store where I first saw it, only one was left and I knew I had to have it. I ended up buying it for $75. This air rifle will not disappoint! It's great for plinking/target shooting and taking out small pests (mice, gophers, squirrels, birds; though I am against shooting birds for no reason). This thing has the feel of a real AR-15 assault rifle. I've been asked by house guests who saw it if it's a real gun. Once they held it they realized it's an air gun and the next thing that came out of their mouths was, "Let's go out back and shoot it!" It's truly a fun and addicting rifle to shoot. My roommate's mom came over for a visit once and had a blast shooting it in my back yard. I've only shot this thing with the sights it came with but they can be easily upgraded. I got my first air rifle 20 years ago and it amazes me how much air guns have improved over the years. If only this M4-177 existed back when I first started shooting (I was a teen) - I would've been in heaven! The velocity of the M4-177 maxes out at about 660fps if you're using BBs, 625fps if using pellets, so its power is lesser than the higher end spring piston or nitro piston rifles, but the price of the M4-177 makes it such a satisfying buy. It would make a great addition to anyone's collection or make a most excellent starter air rifle for the novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars great price, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
Crosman M417 bb/pellet pneumatic pump rifle Great price, I have seen many airsoft versions of this rifle for more money, and this one is much more accurate than any airsoft is gonna be!
With all the weaver rails you can add many accessories.. Some people think the front two weaver rails are un-usable because of having to pump the foregrip.
Just get youself an offset mount for a taclight to mount to the underside of the front sight, and to mount a vertical foregrip to the bottom of the pump's weaver rail, just put a quick release on it so you can take it on and off quckly and easily to pump up the air. OR a better option is to buy a vertical foregrip that is like one of those 5 position foregrips that you can swing down/collapse such that it sits flat up against the foregrip.. then you can pump it without it getting in the way... but you will have to push the button on the vertical foregrip and move it to position one each time you wish to pump.... then move it back to position three to use as a normal foregrip, or to put it back into the "vertical" position.
Overall a very good gun, especially for the price.. My only complaints is there are two places made of plastic that should have been made of metal. The point where the buttstock attaches to the receiever is very very weak and you must be careful or you may break off the rear buttstock mount completely.
Also, the screw that holds the front plastic piece in place at the pivot point of the pump should be metal, mine has already cracked and I have tried everything to get it back together, superglue, cement, etc..
But it just keep on cracking back in the same place, making the gun terrible for accuracy at long ranges, because the barrel moves slightly out of alignment with each pump.
Just be careful with both of these places and the gun will last a long time and you can make it look very cool with all the weaver rail options available on the gun. It looks very cool and feels great in the hand. Perfect for training for the real thing... it is made from the mold of a real AR15 and every detail is exact and looks perfect. Just be easy with the plastic buttstock mount and the plastic pivot point of the pump, and this gun will give you many years of fun and nice accurate shooting. Without the crack in the front part, I was getting tight pellet groups the size of a nickel at 15 meters with a 4x scope.
I have a video of the gun and some of the possible configurations and mods you make to it on my youtube channel, just goto Perryinjax channel on YouTube and you will see a video entitled
"Beowulf Mod for Crosman M4-177 with homemade suppressor"
Or you can just goto youtube and enter the following phrase into the search que box.
Enter these words into any page on YouTube in the search box at the top;
"Perryinjax Mod for Crosman M4-177"
A nice gun for the money, should cost twice as much, but I wish there were two areas where the gun was reinforced a bit better because of the plastic failing under normal operating conditions, the buttstock attachment point and the pivot point of the pump. Other than that it is perfect and I love it. I have owned three and loved them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and accurate, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
This packs a lot of punch. I shot it at a metal pellet target (about the size of a 50˘ piece) from about 13 yards, and it dented it through.
It's really accurate and reliable, too. Quite consistent with its accuracy.
It's super lightweight an has some plastic parts, but don't let that distract you from the coolness thereof.

(revised)
I've had this for about a month now, and it's still as accurate as ever.
With 7 pumps it can easily thump a pigeon out of a tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought this would be a hokey gimmick, I was mistaken. I have whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is., August 4, 2013
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
I am pretty OG when it comes to air rifles. When I buy one and it works well, I take care of it and keep it for years. I raise koi, and varmints and herons can clean a pond or water garden out in no time if unhindered. I have had a heron eat over 2k worth of koi in a single visit. So now I use an air rifle to help dissuade them. I dont kill anything with it normally, save for snakes, but a BB popping against the base of a heron's neck or a raccoon's flank will have them thinking twice about invading my water gardens.

Anywho, I have been using the same pump air rifle since 1993, so I figured it might be time for an upgrade. I started looking around and stumbled across this guy, and my first reaction was a stifled giggle. I figured this was something for gun-nut nerds or kids who wanted to play army man or maybe even for some sort of simulated training with an AR.

But after reading the specs and reviews of this thing, its power was pretty comparable to other higher end air rifles and it had a decent price, so I thought I would give it a go. I could not be more impressed. It's a solid, well made piece, and the extend-able stock, removable "mag", and rail sights are fantastic. I can keep the pellet mag and the site adjustment tool in the mag for quick access, and the accuracy of this thing is insane. I used the little guide it came with and the sight adjustment tool to adjust my rail sights when it arrived, and within 15 minutes I had a 2" grouping at 40 yards, and I dont shoot that well.

Given, that kind of accuracy is nothing for a normal rifle, but this was a BB gun shooting BBs, perfect spheres that are much more subject to gravity, wind, and air and thermal conditions than a typical rifle bullet. I was and continue to be extremely impressed.

My buddy has an AR-15 and he saw this leaning up against the wall one day and asked me when I got an AR. He didnt believe it was a BB gun until he picked it up. He thought it was great. And it uses the same rail system as the real deal, so you can add any accessories you want to it (laser sight, flashlight, action scope, homemade bayonet, etc) And it looks so much like the real deal that if you took a stroll out to the mailbox with this guy the next time that wiseass kid with the dirtbike or that hippie weirdo with the skateboard decide to turn a donut in your front yard or grind the curb and tear up your wife's flower bed that she worked on all spring, their wide-eyed reaction and rapid exodus may really brighten your day, particularly when the hippie kid looks like he's toting a newly birthed pantload in the seat of his jean shorts while making his retreat.

And if the neighbors give you a hard time about it, just tell them it's an air rifle, which is not illegal to fire on the confines of your own property even in city limits (at least around here) and to leave me the hell alone, Marie. Maybe if you let your kid learn about gun safety and play with something like this he would grow a pair and stop wearing pastel colored pants.

Anyway, this thing is great. I probably buy a dozen things from Amazon every month and have so for the past few years, and this is by far the greatest Amazon purchase I have ever made. I am gonna buy another one just in case something happens to my primary or they stop selling them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, January 23, 2012
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
there not much to say about this gun, the gun itself its the best. very accurate easy to aim and easy to pump. The Gun is mostly made of plastic and some metal parts that make the pellet fire. I would defenitely buy another one. I would change some things to make the gun a little bit heavier. like the sights make those metal and the pump stock. also make the gun more powerfull atleast 300 more fps, thats just my opinion. love it anyways.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to get him the Daisy 880 since it was my first bb gun and was awesome, but reviews were awful since they went to ..., October 7, 2014
Bought this for my sons birthday. I wanted to get him the Daisy 880 since it was my first bb gun and was awesome, but reviews were awful since they went to all plastic. LOOK NO FURTHER!!! I had so much fun sighting it in before I gifted it that I blistered my hands. Shot off 100 rounds!! No child should go without this gun!! For all of you vermin hunters, this is just as good as my break barrel $200 pellet gun. Thank you and gun safety is always a priority.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost power on first trip, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)

Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177)
$127.99 $59.99