5.0 out of 5 stars It's a classic that still performs.
Published on June 7, 2006 by mgso

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value
Published on October 1, 2009 by Thomas Money

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, October 1, 2009
This review is from: Crosman 760 Pump Master Variable Pump BB Repeater/Single Shot Pellet Rifle (Sports)
I know guns and I know BB guns. I'm old enough to remember when they used to make BB guns out of metal. I bought this for a 14 year old girl for her birthday. The 760 is kind of the mid/low grade model in the Crosman Air gun line. First lets talk about the bad. First and foremost, there is no windage (left or right) adjustment on the rear sight other then bending it over a little which I did. There is only elevation (up or down). Second the barrel is not rifled. While it is made of steel, without rifling BB's and pellets very easily wander off course, with this said accuracy is not this guns strong suit. Third it is hard for youths to pump. The 760 has a relatively short stroke on the forearm pump. This doesn't give you a lot of leverage. The girl I bought it for is an athlete and she has some trouble with it, her cousins who don't get off the couch and play video games all day, really had trouble with it. Forth, its almost to light. Being made of mostly plastic, this gun is so light its almost hard to keep steady on the shoulder. This could be a plus though if your child is going to be carrying it around in the woods all day.
Ok now for the good. First it's a fun gun to shoot. There is nothing better than sitting out back and knocking over a few can with this thing. Second it had enough power to be effective. You could easily blow through a blue jay on the feeder, a red squirrel that is bothering you, your neighbors plate glass front window, or you eye, without a problem. It you think you are going to kill a skunk, raccoon, or the neighbors cat, you are out of luck, it doesn't have the muscle. Third its cheap, dollar for dollar I don't think you can find a better air rifle. Its much better than any rifle or pistol that takes a CO2 cartridge. Do not buy your child any BB gun that uses a CO2 cartridge. They are all junk and don't shoot well at all, plus the cartridges will cost you more than the gun its self. Fourth it takes BB's and pellets. BB's travel faster but are very inaccurate, but you have a reserve of them in the gun making them easy to load. Pellets are harder to load, but are more accurate, and if you get the hunting pointed tip pellets are better for penetration. Fifth it's a pump, there is no spring to weaken, there are no CO2 cartridges to start loosing air pressure. I found in the past Crosman seals hold up well. Give then a drop of oil once and a while, and your air rifle will last a long time. Being a pump you can very the air pressure. So if you wanted to shoot in your basement, pump it three times, or if you go outside pump it ten. The long term consistence of crosman pumps are very good.
In conclusion I recommend the 760 for the price, but if your willing to spend a little bit more, the Crosman 2100 fixes just about all the bad points I mentioned. It twice the air rifle at twice the price. The 2100 you can really start to teach a child some real shooting fundamentals, as the accuracy is far superior with the rifled barrel. Also don't put a cheap little scope on this, the pellets and bb's drop so quickly your better just to use the open sites.
You are much better buying your kid this than a video game!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a classic that still performs., June 7, 2006
If you like a short rifle that's accurate (Crosman added fiberoptic front sight,) dependable and uses 5 pellet manual clip (you have to slide it manually) this is the rifle. It's light weight and with 10 pumps can deliver a punch close to 600 fps. I'm a pellet man, but yes it shoots bb's too. For target shooting, I only use 3 pumps for my 25' range. I like the fiberoptic front sight, but I put a Crossman scope on mine. I strongly recommend buying extra clips if you're into pellets. A pack of four is around $5/$6.

mgso

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Beginner Shooters, December 28, 2009
Crosman 760 Pumpmaster

Specifications - The Facts (This is some of the information I wish I knew before I bought it.)
-Manufacturer: Crosman Corp.
-Caliber: .177 cal. steel BBs OR .177 cal. pellets
-Action Type: Bolt-action
-Powerplant: Multi-pump Pneumatic
--The air rifle is charged by pumping the rifle (opening and closing the forearm). Pumping the rifle
pressurizes an internal reservoir that is used, when the trigger is pulled, to push the BB/pellet out.
-Barrel: 16.75 inches
-Rifling: none, smooth-bore
-Magazine: 15 BBs (Internal) OR 5 Pellets (Pellet Clip)
-Front Sight: Fiber Optic
-Rear Sight: Notched Sight, adjustable for elevation
-Trigger: Single-stage
-Stock and Buttpad: Plastic
-Scopeable: 11mm Dovetail Rail
-Overall Length: 33.50 inches
-Length of Pull: 13.25 inches (length from trigger blade to the buttpad)
--A person's length of pull is found by measuring the distance from the inside of the elbow to the
index finger's second joint. (The person wants a rifle that has a same or very close length of pull.
This determines how well the gun fits the person.)
-Weight: 2.75 lbs
-Safety: Crossblock Safety
-Function: Plinking/Fun

Overview - First Impressions
The first impression is that (from an adult's perspective) this is a small rifle. Weighing less than 3 lbs and measuring only 33.5 inches, this rifle is about a quarter of an adult air rifle by weight and three-quarters of an adult air rifle by length. However, as a young shooter (as I was at the time I got it), it was perfect. The rifle comes with a nice and bright, green fiber optic front sight and a notch blade rear sight. This allows the rifle to be easy-to-aim and easy-to-shoot. However, the sights are not "competitive target-style" sights, making it slightly hard to shoot small 10-meter competitive air rifle targets (with a total diameter of 45.5mm and a 10-ring diameter of 0.5mm). The rifle is a multi-pump pneumatic, meaning that I needed to pump the rifle several times to build up the air pressure needed to fire a pellet/BB. The pumping effort is easy for pumps 1 through 5; however, the pumps 6 through 10 are a bit strenuous for younger shooters (since adult supervision is HIGHLY recommended, an adult can do pumps 6-10 easily). BBs are to be loaded into an internal hopper inside the grip (containing about 100 BBs), and BBs are then fed into a magazine (containing 15 BBs) by tilting the rifle forward and flipping a switch to keep the BBs from rolling back out from the magazine into the hopper. After checking that the chamber and the BB magazine are empty, pellets can be loaded into the rifle through an external 5-shot pellet magazine clip. If you want to accessorize, the air rifle can accommodate a scope or red dot sight, mounted on the 11mm dovetail rail.

Testing - How does this perform? (This is data I retrieved from my own testing equipment.)
-Chronograph Test
--With 7 pumps, the average (of 10 shots) muzzle velocity is 503.0 fps. (Hi: 526.5fps; Low: 488.0fps;
Spread: 38.53 fps, Std. Dev.: 13.92)
--A decent speed for this type of air rifle.

-10-Meter Target Test
--With 10 shots at 10 meters (with 7 pumps), the center-to-center group size is 1.01 inch (approximately a half-dollar coin). (This is with pellets, which are always more accurate than BBs.)
--This accuracy is more than enough for plinking tin cans or hitting large bulls-eye targets.

-Energy Calculation
--With a 7.9 grain pellet (at 7 pumps), the muzzle energy is about 4.44 foot-pounds or 6.02 joules.
--This is too weak for any type of hunting. (A gun needs to be at around 12 foot-pounds to cleanly take
down small game.)

Lasting Impressions - Things to put on the backburner.
Some things to note are that the rear sight has no windage adjustment, meaning that you can only "zero" for elevation. And I also wish that the pumping forearm was slightly longer for leverage so younger shooters can pump it easier.

I have owned this air rifle for approximately 10 years, and it still performs as if I just bought it yesterday. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to keep the rifle in working condition. The minimum number of pumps is 3. Pump any less and there is a risk that the pellet/BB does not leave the barrel. The maximum number of pumps is 10. Exceed 10 pumps and there is a high risk of damaging the seals inside the reservoir, permanently reducing the amount of pressurized air that the reservoir can hold. This air rifle can shoot either BBs or pellets, but never both simultaneously. This rifle is not designed to be an Olympic 10-meter air rifle, so, do not expect "same-hole" groups at 10 meters. Rather, this air rifle does great at knocking over cans and punching holes in targets. Lastly, a couple drops of air gun oil (I use Crosman's "Pellgun Oil") in the pump mechanisms (as explained in the manual) will extend the rifle's life.

Recommendation - What I think...
The 760 Pumpmaster air rifle was intended for plinking and fun, and I do not expect it to do more than what it is intended. And it does what it is supposed to do very well. With the 760 Pumpmaster, my first air rifle, I learned a lot about safe rifle-handling and marksmanship skills with it. Along with its affordable price, I highly recommend this air rifle to any beginner shooter. (I got it from Wal-Mart.)

NOTE: Air guns are not toys. I've known people who have been seriously hurt by air guns. As always, treat air guns as if it is loaded and ready to fire. Parents, if you teach your children to shoot safely and responsibly, then they will have a lifetime of fun and enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gun, February 6, 2006
I've had this gun for 5 years and it still works like new. it shoots bbs and pellets and has adjustable fps, depending on how many times you pump it.it's good for target shooting and a great gun for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crosman 760 pump master, April 10, 2012
For 25$ this little rifle is a bargain. The variable power is a plus, as it alows it to be used indoors and out. The small size is also a plus for the little guys and gals with shorter arms. For indoor use I would recommend pellets a no more than four pumps, outdoors BB's are ok and pumping to 6 or 7 is fine. It's a smooth bor so it will never be a tack driver, but that being said , it still groups under 1.5" at 33 ft with pellets. This should be more than sufficient for teaching Marksmanship. As far as pumping effort goes, that's all technique, as my 5 year old grandson can do 4 pumps. Gun should remain uncocked and safety on when pumping.Put butt on floor held steady by their feet, grasp barrel in off hand and pump with their master. For a right hander this would be barrel in left and pump in right. The Rear sight is pretty poor, so I put a Tasco red dot on it forward of the loading port.( allows them to see BB magazine) This is way better than a scope or Iron sights. The 9 year old likes the shoot tin cans at 6 pumps, as BB's go completely through them (this is not a toy and could be mistreated. Adult supervision please!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gun for Backard, June 19, 2006
A Kid's Review
this is a Great gun for backyard hunting and target shooting, it is a little loud but no one really notices. NOTE: U have to oil this gun every 500 shots or so, lift up the pump handle, and put oil on every hinge, also at the start of the crack (The crack that lets the pump out) you will find a barrel like thing, this is the most important part to oil! put a drop right on it. FAILORE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN UR AIR COMPRESSOR TO CRACK!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diggin it yo, February 28, 2012
I can't really base this off another air rifle because I've never owned one but for 25 dollars I know I got a good deal. The pump was very hard to use the first couple shots but it gets MUCH easier. I'm using just the iron sights and they work pretty well. You will not be able to use this gun for long range unless you buy a scope, but if you're just using this for close range shooting I would definitely recommend sticking with the iron sights. One thing I don't like is how small the gun is. It is still usable but it's really awkward aiming down sights unless you're a young kid/small. I give it 5/5 for being a great bang for your buck.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of junk, June 13, 2014
Opened box, put in bb's, worked the pump - no air pressure at all. The gun doesn't work. Great quality control......brand new and worthless. Now I can chase a guy named Dave who lives 40 miles away and see if he can fix it - no service center in Orlando FL.
If you are looking for a bb gun, this isn't it. It could, however, be used to stir paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same gun it used to be, only a little different, June 30, 2012
Moon Dog (South West Missouri) - See all my reviews
I'm retired now, live in southwest Missouri. My neighbors boy age 8 came over with his new bb rifle and sat in the yard with me, and we plinked the rest of the evening at soda cans, boxes, neighbors car, whatever we could find. I had a blast. This got me thinking about the bb gun I had when I was a kid. It was a crosman 760 pump rifle, and it shot both bb's and pellets. I looked on line and was amazed that they still make this model. That says alot for the gun. It was a bb gun before it's time, back in the day. I ordered one and it was delivered. Right out of the box, it was like a visit with an old friend. My old one had a wood stock and pump handle, and a brass colored bolt which was magnetized to hold bbs, and the receiver was metal, along with the trigger. Same system for bbs in upper reservoir, but the pellets were loaded one at a time.
The new model is made largely of plastic, including the trigger. The barrel and pump assembly is metal, everything that is essential to still function. but everything else is plastic, stock, pump handle, receiver, trigger. This looking on the bright side makes the rifle extremely light and easy to maneuver. I really like the 5 shot pellet strip improvement they made to the rifle. You can shoot 5 pellets now, just as fast as you can 5 bbs. Plus you can by extra pellet clips, and keep them with you preloaded for extra shots, and quick reloading when you run out of the original 5 shot clip.
Over all, I am extremely satisfied with the rifle, as it will do everything that I want to do with it, which is set out in the yard and shoot, kill cans, boxes, homemade targets etc. Just enjoying the evening. This gun has a moderate amount of power, but the pumping action may be to hard for younger children. How long it will last remains to be seen. The price, you can't beat the value for what you get. Hope this helps someone else considering this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pellet Gun for Price...12 million sold must say something., November 12, 2011
This is the best pellet rifle you can buy for the money. I just replaced a 20 year old Crosman pump master. If you lubricate the gun as the instructions indicate you will find pumping the gun much easier, in fact I have sever tenonitis in my right arm and pumping the gun 10 times is no problem. Low Power? I drop rabbits from 60 feet with one shot. I highly recommend you go to Walmart and get a small Tasco scope in the $7 range. This scope is great, you have to initially sight it in. That's why it comes with two removable caps on it, one rotates the aim vertically, the other horizontally. The key is not to bump the scope or you will have to repeat the sighting in process. I have an Expert Marksmanship ribbon from the military and can stick multiple pellets into the same hole, that's how accurate the scope is. As other marksmen will tell you when aiming and pulling the trigger you must hold your breath for an accurate shot. DO NOT be fooled by what appears to be cheap plastic materials externally, internally the components are SOLID. Mine would not have lasted 20 years if they weren't. The newer models come with an Indiglo front sight and a 5 pellet clip which is incredible in comparison to loading each individual pellet. If you want a weapon with much more punch than the 600fps velocity of this gun, opt for the .177 Break Barrel Guns with velocities of 1200fps with alloy pellets. You will not regret this purchase.