5.0 out of 5 stars EASY FIX FOR THE SCOPE
Published 21 months ago by Richard

3.0 out of 5 stars crosman nitro venom dusk
the only thing i didn't like about this pellet gun is the scope. very useable as a squirrel gun. other reviews made me nervous but i'm glad i got this one.
Published 19 months ago by gene hardison

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY FIX FOR THE SCOPE, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk Break Barrel Air Rifle (.22) powered by Nitro Piston (Sports)
The center point scope that comes with the gun is just fine. If yours seems out of focus on 9 than do the following. Unscrew the cap at the front of the scope. Once it is off, unscrew (counterclockwise or left) the objective lens two full rotations. There are two notches on the threads that you can use to gauge the rotations. After that, zero the scope in and you are done.

It's probably just lazy workers assembling the scope. Mine took two full rotations but yours could be different. All you are doing is moving the front lens away from the rear until the point where it becomes focused. Just tweak it until it's fixed and remember to zero the scope in after you are done.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gun, great price, August 26, 2012
Basically two things to say abouth this gun, you will not find a better package of power, accuracy, and low cost in another .22 caliber air rifle. Two, you will not find a better price on this gun than at Amazon.
This gun is quiet and powerful due to the nitro piston, easy to cock, and shoots very well. Perfect gun whether target shooting or hunting. The gun is great looking, very "tough" with the all black look. My son has a Crosman Phantom and this gun is much quieter with less recoil, again thanks to the nitro technology.
The gun arrived promptly, in good condition, and with no charge for shipping. At the price found on Amazon with no shipping charges I'll save you tons of time I spent looking for the best price, this is it. Look no further.
Some of the reviews I've read on the gun complain about the scope. It is not the best, but certainly not the worst. It's a trade off to keep the price of the gun/scope package low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience paid off and mine is amazing, July 10, 2013
I almost returned this gun due to lack of accuracy and consistency, but I stuck it out and I am glad I did. Great value. I have the synthetic stock version in .22. Read on for my experience.

I had read many reviews before buying so I knew most people love this gun, but some people had problems. The first 50 shots looked good but then accuracy went poor. It turned out the scope rings were loose and the scope was sliding, tightened them down and accuracy was restored. After 200 or so shots I could not get acceptable accuracy. It turned out the screws that hold the gun to the stock (one on each side and one on the bottom near the trigger) were loose, tightened them down and accuracy was restored. After 500 rounds the gun was okay. At 10 yards I could get 1.5" groups. I hoped for better, but I was willing to live with it. I decided to clean the barrel (Google using weed whacker line to clean the barrel). After cleaning I could get 0.5" groups at 10 yards with crosman premier hollow points (that works out to 2.5" at 50 yards). In summary after tightening down scope screws, gun screws and cleaning the barrel, the gun is as accurate as I hoped.

Other note worthy things.

-70% less noise than a springer rifle is more of a marketing gimmick. The noise is the same loudness as a good quality springer, but the sound is more sharp and there is no "twang" at the end of the shot that you get from a springer. Basically the 70% is not the amplitude of the noise but more the duration which is so short anyway that it does not matter. The nitro piston does have the added advantage of being able to leave it cocked without hurting the gun. Other than that I doubt anyone comparing the two will find any difference (same recoil, same cocking difficulty, etc). For anyone who does not have much experience with these guns, the noise is about the same as a staple gun.

-The .22 with 14.3gr pellet is moving at 700fps (~14.5fpe for you energy guys). The 950fps they quote on the box is BS and can only be achieved by using some expensive allow pellets that are typically inaccurate. 700fps is still respectable, and I have killed rabbit cleanly with a head shot. The pellets will go through .5" plywood so use a good backstop (I use a card board box filled with mulched wood chips from my local home supply store).

-The scope is okay not the best. There is no adjustable objective, so depending on the range and magnification the target could be fuzzy.

-The trigger is okay. I understand why some people would hate it. It can be replaced with a new one for $32 from a gun smith named Charlie da Tuna. Google him and you will find his GTR-III trigger than everyone talks about. I personally do not find the trigger that bad, and I understand that crosman is concerned with safety so they make it long and hard.

-Lastly a general note on these types of guns. They are hold sensitive. You want to hold the gun as lightly as possible for the most consistent results. For more information google the "artillery hold"

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful & Accurate, August 12, 2012
This rifle is powerful and very accurate if you know how to shoot spring air rifles. You have to use the artillary hold to shoot spring air rifles accurate. I have read some mixed reviews about the Crosman Nitro Venom. The Crosman Venom with wood stock gets good reviews so I don't know why the Nitro Venom Dusk receives low reviews. The 2 rifles are exactly the same. Except one has a wood stock and the other black synthetic. I have the black synthetic. Shot the rifle dozens of times and couldn't be happier. At 20 yards or so you can shoot grape size groups. Thats pretty good shooting where I come from. Great rifle for little critters. I have the .22 cal.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMO the best 22 air rifle on the market, February 20, 2014
I ordered this air rifle on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday - great service from Amazon. As soon as I unpacked it I did a thorough cleaning of the barrel per other reviews. I installed my scope of choice and will use the one that came with it for a different gun. 10 shots later I had the scope dialed in using a bench rest. 24 hours later I fine tuned my scope adjustments and from 33 feet I put 10 shots together that basically all touched each other. You could cover all 10 shots with a dime.

My reason for choosing this air rifle is the weight. I looked a myriad of air rifles and most of them weigh in the vicinity of 9 lbs except the Gamo Silent Stalker (around 5lbs). The Gamo just felt cheap when holding it and the skeleton stock did not fit my hands well. All the others just weighed too much to hold steady for any length of time. This one is perfect.

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely buy this one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 12, 2013
Great aim and very easy to use. Would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to purchase this caliber gun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk - .22 Cal: Powerful Airgun, March 3, 2013
It's powerful and heavy. It took only 10-15 minutes to site in the scope for about 200 feet (about the maximum range I expect to shoot from).

Pros:
- Power
- Accuracy

Cons:
- Weight
- No sling attachment points

I wouldn't want to wander through the Texas Hill Country all day carrying this gun in my hands, otherwise unsupported.

5.0 out of 5 stars .22 caliber pellet gun, March 12, 2013
Once I got ie sighted in, it was fairly accurate. Packs a helluva punch, shot through my fence. Haven,t had a chance to hunt with it yet, am looking forward to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a change from my first Nitro Venom..., March 23, 2014
I recently bought a Nitro Venom .22 in the wood stock version. I didn't like the plastic-looking wood, the latch on the barrel kept unlatching, the scope was bad from the first shot with pellets going all over (until I replaced the scope with an old scope from a .22 rim fire rifle and then it started hitting where I aimed), and it had a TERRIBLE trigger.

I returned the first rifle, then thought about it a little, and ordered a Nitro Venom Dusk rifle in .22. This rifle had almost everything right. The barrel latched securely. The stock looked and felt okay, but I'm still a little worried about its sturdiness as far as anchoring the action well -- plastic "gives" more than wood and tends to stretch and deform. The scope is just okay -- it has been holding zero very well, but it gets blurry to the point of worthlessness past 5 power -- the graduations are really handy on the crosshairs, though. I've killed two squirrels with it so far -- one at 65 steps and one at 110 steps -- by using the crosshair crossmarks (mildots?) to adjust elevation. I followed the advice from other posts and from YouTube and put a 5x8x2.5mm bearing in the trigger, then tried a 5x9x3mm bearing in it. Each bearing REALLY improved the trigger, but I guess I have one of the really bad triggers, so I may have to try some even larger metal washers some time down the road. The rifle is a little difficult for me to break the barrel, but I am almost 70 and have bad shoulders, so it will probably be easier for younger people. It is a little louder than I expected, but nothing near a .22 rim fire or other firearm. In a mild wind, animals don't even notice they are being fired at unless I hit short of them. The rifle shoots the Crosman Premier Hollow Points and the RWS Super Domes to about the same point of aim, so -- long-term -- I will probably use the Crosman pellets because of the MUCH lower price. I really like the rifle and am enjoying it a lot. I can shoot 1-inch groups at 25 yards with no problem -- with a rest, of course. This rifle doesn't seem to require an "artillery hold" as much as spring powered rifles do.

Incidentally, the thing on the end of the barrel is a muzzle BREAK -- not a muzzle BRAKE. It is intended to be something to grab hold of to help BREAK the barrel and keep it from slipping in your hand or cutting your hand on the front sight -- it does not BRAKE (lessen) the noise of the rifle discharging. I prefer the break to a brake because I have read a LOT of reviews where cleaning materials and even pellets get hung up in the muzzle brakes -- and the noise isn't that loud to begin with.

I believe this is a good rifle. If you get a bad one, return it immediately -- Amazon is great on returns. If you get a good one, you have a powerful rifle at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a toy..., February 8, 2014
It's been years since either my husband or myself have owned a pellet gun, but having two boys now we thought it was time. This pellet gun arrived very quick and when it arrived and we unpacked it, we were both surprised. This isn't a "cheapie". It has some weight to it, which I don't mind. We've bought several different pellets from several different manufacturers and have yet to try them all but I can say, this thing is powerful. It produces a pretty loud sound upon firing. My husband says it's comparable to a .22 rim fire. I'm not sure it's that loud but it is loud for a pellet gun. The scope that came on this gun is just fine. We haven't had a single problem with it. I would definitely recommend this gun to anyone looking for a good one that's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. But I will again say, it's not a toy. I would definitely think about the age, maturity, and level of responsibility of a minor before buying it for them.

Rate and Discover Movies