5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding entry level air rifle.
Published on February 7, 2011 by Steven T. Blades

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad barrel droop
Published on November 6, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding entry level air rifle., February 7, 2011
This review is from: Crosman Phantom .177 Caliber Break Barrel Air Rifle up-to 1200 FPS (Sports)
This is my first air rifle, but i have been a gun owner for years. I am a 22 fanatic especially. I was shooting with a friend a while back and he busted out a break barrel air rifle. We took a few shots and it reminded me of all the fun I used to have as a kid with a friend and his little daisy 10 pump bb gun. I decided to get one but didn't want to spend an bunch of money it. I spent a few months researching these low-end air rifles. The Phantom seemed to stand out a little bit above the rest so i went with it. I found it at Wal-mart for $80 without the scope. The scope that comes with this in the combo pack was not reviewed very well by many sources. I also don't like using scopes and would not use it anyway so why pay for it. Also, there have been complaints by some that this was advertised as a 1200fps rifle and when they got it found out it is actually 1000fps. I have only ever seen it advertised as 1000fps with the option of 1200fps with high velocity pellets. On the actual packaging it clearly states this, although if you are ordering online you may not be able to see the packaging. I have not actually tested the velocity myself but have seen chrony tests online and it seems to come in right around these figures. Now here are my personal findings after a few months of shooting.

I must say I like this air rifle a lot. I don't have a lot of experience with these but this one seems to live up to all of the things i have found on it through my research. It is a very solidly built rifle. The synthetic stock is made of a very high quality material that would be very difficult to mark up never mind break. It feels like it is a solid piece and there is no ringing or reverberation in it when firing that would indicate any hollow pockets in it. The barrel is very heavy and appears to have a nice rifling. The reciever (or what would be the reciever on a firearm, the part behind the barrel) also seems well constructed. The steel on the reciever and barrel seem to be real firearms grade steel. the barrel is comparable to the barrels on most of my 22 rifles and my 17HMR rifle. The blueing on all of the steel is also very nice, looks like a high quality finish. The rubber recoil pad is also a very nice material and sits comfortably in the shoulder. The cocking of the rifle is not overly difficult but you do need to tap the barrel at the top to get the initial break, you can't just grab it and pull it forward. I would assume that this is a good thing, and from my research this is true of all break barrels. I read one review that said the barrel does not lock in place and bounces open. I had this happen 2 times, however I had to really slam the barrel up to get it to do it, which i don't normally do. Over all the construction and materials are top notch. If you closed your eyes and I put this in your hands you would think I handed you a full sized 22 rifle. I find it hard to believe that they make much money selling this thing for $80. The only 2 things left on the rifle to go over are the trigger and the sights. As far as the sights go they are cheap but they work fine. I tried to find a rifle that didn't use these plastic sights but it seemed like everything under $300 used these plastic sights. The front sight is all plastic but feels pretty sturdy and durable. It is a green fiber-optic sight and it is also fixed. The rear sight which is adjustable for windage and elevation feels a little lacking. The rear sight on the Phantom adjusts easily with nice sharp clicks and is a set of red fiber-optics. It amazes me that they make a rifle of this quality and then throw on these cheap sights. I physically went to stores and checked out many different makes and models and they all used this stuff. The worst part is that if you buy any of the $30 to $50 pump air rifles you get a nice set of metal sights. It doesn't make much sense. Oh well. I had never used fiber-optic sights before, and I have got to say I am not a huge fan. They do work well, but I would much prefer a basic set of metal sights. The biggest complaint about this rifle is the trigger but I didn't have any problem with it. I am not into triggers the way a lot of people are. there is nothing wrong with customising triggers, I am just not into it. I have always prefered to just learn the personality (for lack of a better word) of the different triggers of my guns. As long as the trigger is acceptable to me I wouldn't mess with it. I have shot some guns that had terrible triggers on them and if they belonged to me I would get some work done on them but I have never owned a gun that I felt needed anything done to it. For me personally I think this makes me a more consistant shot with a large variety of weapons and it usually doesnt take me long to get the feel of a trigger unless it is very bad. I found this trigger to be fine for me. It is adjustable but I did not even mess with it. There is a good bit of creep and the release is not super crisp, but I had no trouble with it afer just 3 or 4 shots. I do agree that it is does not feel like a 2 stage trigger and if you are into triggers you will probably find this one lacking as I have not heard anywhere that adjusting it makes it any crisper, just lighter or heavier. I have put many rounds through it and it is getting less noisy. After getting the sights where I want them I have been shooting 5 shot groups at 25 yards with open sights that are just bigger than a golf ball (shooting bech rested). I have also been shooting gallon jugs at 50 yards unrested both sitting and standing without many misses. I have not done any actual target work out past 25 yards yet though. I have been using different pellets and have not noticed much difference but I have mainly been using cheap Crosman domed pellets from Wal-mart (250 for $2). I am very impressed with the way this rifle shoots and am very happy with my purchase. Well woth $80. Sorry this was so long but I wanted to give a nice detailed description because being new to this type of product it took me a long time and a lot of leg work to find all of these little details. I have posted some pictures of the sights, trigger and recoil pad so you can really see them. Hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerhouse, December 23, 2009
Crosman lives up to it's reputation with the Phantom 1000. This is a real rifle, not a toy. Well built, and well thought out, this rifle can stand the test of time and use. The fiber optic sights are right on the money; easy to see even in dim light. The overall construction of this rifle is solid and should last a lifetime. With a single break of the action, pellets hit hard and penetrate tin cans at 70 feet, and I mean in and out of both sides.

Included instructions are easy to understand. The trigger safety is located in an easily accesable place, (right in front of the trigger) and a trigger lock is included with the rifle. All in all this is a fine rifle, worthy of a place in your gun cabinet.

You can buy this rifle with confidence in both Crosman and Amazon.Com. Crosman makes a trusted product and Amazon.Com delivers it quickly and at a very fair price. Plus you get a double warranty, Crosman warrants the rifle and Amazon.Com's A-Z warranty covers the whole transaction. I give it 5 stars *****. This is a good product.

"Always be sure of your target and what may be beyond."

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I hoped for!!, June 22, 2010
I bought one of these a little over a week ago and I have been more than impressed. The quality you have come to expect from Crosman products come through in this peice. Quality craftsmanship, sturdy construction, pinpoint accuaracy. Where the Phantom ramps up the bar standard: is in power. No more enless pumping your old classic 650 bb gun for a measley 600 ft/sec. One cock on the break barrel, and you will impressed sending a variety of .177 pellets downrange at 1000 ft/sec and up to 1200 ft/sec with the matched pbd ammo. I was able to kill a groundhog INSTANTLY with a head shot from about 30 yards, with a hollow point pellet (not included). The ONE draw back, as you will see in other reviews, is a rather dispointing rear sight. Small red True Glow strands dont give much illumination, and the windage adjustment is rather clunky and not at all up to the quality of the rest of the gun. The front sight is much much better. Also this unit sells with a Center Point 4X32 scope, usualy for about $30 more. Buy the non scoped unit, and use the extra $30 to buy a better quality scope. Either way get rid of the rear sight. Over all a 5 star purchase, one of the best I've made in awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, September 25, 2007
It's Light and Oh, so powerful there is nothing like this gun. 1" groups at 50 yards!!! (you need a 9x50 scope). It is well made, very solid and strong, no chance for damage of any kind. It is loud for the first 50 shots then quiets down but there is not a power decrease but an increase! It is well worth the money, oh, if you have any kind of pests... ooooo ... it is your Excalibur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, August 5, 2010
This gun is very accurate and powerful. Once I got it sighted in it is dead on accurate at 100 feet and can drop a bird at that distance. This is the best Air Rifle I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding air rifle!!, July 10, 2010
I really am enjoying this air rifle! I havent owned an air rifle for years and more or less considered them toy guns. I have to tell you I was WRONG !! I also bought a Leapers 4x32 mil scope and after installing it i can not believe how tight the groups are that this rifle will produce at distance. I have tried various pellets with this rifle and am having great success with Crosman Destroyers. I am a very very satisfied purchaser of this fine air rifle. BTW the build quality of this rifle appears to be top notch, nothing cheap or flimsy about it. I have read reports of people killing coyotes with this rifle, all I can say is I believe it after having seen how hard this rifle can hit at 1000 fps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rifle ever, June 15, 2011
This rifle can stand up to those $400 ones. It was fired at their factory to insure the quality of the gun, and it comes accurate right out of the box. As others have said the iron sights are made of plastic and just don't measure up to the rest of the gun. I bought a red dot sight for short range and a scope for long range. Problem solved. Even though the Sights are made of plastic they Do Stay at Zero.
It pumps with a Break Barrel, this means the barrel splits in half with a small tap on the upper part of the barrel. It locks into place with 2 metal clamps like a door clicks into the slot, only with 2 of them. it will stay shut while running, jumping etc. It will never open by accident.
The spring pump is a very smooth motion.
Some guns require you to shoot 1200 pellets! to be accurate!!! this is not the case.
The Gun is very solid and not a single vibration from it.
For a $400 Rifle you can get up to 1400-1500 fps. (Depending on the pellets.)
For $95 you can get up to 1250 fps.
If this is your first rifle you will not be unsatisfied, or if you shoot regularly it will be your best friend.
This rifle is for Target or Small Game hunting. Very powerfull.
If your buying to to take care of them varmints then this is your gun.
You also want to maintain your rifle with some barrel lube. This Lubricates the barrel keeping it from rusting and drying up. Extended shooting with out proper lubrication WILL effect you accuracy down the road.

The Lube you need is "Crosman RMC Oil" as stated in the manual, this is the proper lube. Using other lubricants can damage or even injure you, The Gun has a certain flash point and if your oil exceeds it, the lube may explode inside the gun This WILL Damage your guns barrel and parts, or causing serious injury.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crosman Phantom for Hunting, March 11, 2011
Bought this Crosman a week ago and am very impressed with the quality. Put a Crosman CenterPoint Adventure Class 2-7x32mm scope on it which I also got from Amazon and they make a good combo for hunting. Purchased the gun for my 9 year old son to use on Willow Grouse, Ptarmigan, and Spruce Hen in rural Alaska. He has a 410 and 22 but there have been several flocks of Ptarmigan in town this winter so using the larger guns is out of the question in city limits. Was concerned that it would not have the knockdown power needed for hunting but he has taken 16 ptarmigan in the last week with it. The riffle shouts great groups with the scope. Recommend to people looking for a hunting rifle. Rifle is much larger than I expected, as large as any other hunting rifle I own, be ready to use a rest or the included bi-pod that came with the scope for younger shooters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power House, April 28, 2011
Much much much more powerful than the airguns of my youth. First shot went through my backstop and way beyond. It shot through the can cardboard box holding an old pet pillow 2 to 3 inches thick, and out the back of the box and through 1 inch plastic board I was using as my old backstop. This has always been good enough to stop my old pellet gun before. Guess I will have to rethink my backstop.

It is a solid and heavy piece. Is very loud the first 10 or so shots but settles down afterwards. I would recommend this one to any of my friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad barrel droop, November 6, 2011
Amazon Customer "Ravhat" (Yuba City, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
Very exited to get this gun because of the good reviews. When I received this rifle it was only in the gun box and no outer packaging which I thought was a little odd from everything else I have ever ordered from Amazon, It looked like the box was re-taped and a little beat up.I pulled the rifle out of the box and noticed some blotchy spots on the receiver and barrel that would not come off, but is not really a big deal because it has no effect on rifles performance. I also noticed there was no shipping oil on the rifle that most other reviewers mentioned was pretty excessive, and had to be wiped off. Rifle is very powerful and is fun to shoot. Trigger pull is a little tough, and accuracy is alright but that probably depends on the pellet quality. One big problem I had with this rifle is the barrel droop that it has, its not a problem if you use the sites because the front and rear sights are both on the barrel, but if you want to use a scope you soon see the problem with barrel droop. I had to use all of the UP adjustment on my scope to sight this thing in so I got lucky there, but some may not. Was going to return to Amazon but with some research online I saw that barrel droop is common with air rifles some are just worst than others so I figured why send it back just to get another one that may be worst than the one I have. By the way in case you don't know what barrel droop is it is when your brake barrel rifle in its locked ready to fire position the barrel does not line up perfectly parallel with the receiver and the barrel slightly points down. But for the price its a pretty good deal you could spend more for a supposedly better gun, but is it really better? This is my first brake barrel rifle I just think my expectations were to high due to only using real rifles for so long. But for a critter getter its perfect. Hope this helps

Rate and Discover Movies