5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, quality rifle
Published on November 26, 2010 by W. Chase

1.0 out of 5 stars Remington Nitro Piston Short Stroke, Digital Camo air rifle
Not a happy camper, (What's this?)

My goal was to purchase something made in the USA is highly stressed on the news to put more people to work in America.

After receiving the air gun I shot about 40 pellets to get the gun's scope dialed in. The gun started to jam and grind when cocking it. This should not happen to a brand new gun, I don't think this...
Published on December 29, 2011 by Gammy_W

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, quality rifle, November 26, 2010
Air rifles have really changed since I was a kid. First impressions when unpacking the rifle was the build quality, very solid feel and tight tolerances. Keep in mind I'm a former military guy who is now a firearms instructor for a federal law enforcement agency. At first I had problems with shot groups being consistent but waited until I had at least 150 rounds down range. When the problem persisted I did a little reading online and found that cleaning the weapon can help. So I took the bore brush to it and bingo, zeroed 1" groups at 25yrds and 1.5" groups @50yrds using a 1mil holdover. The best pellets I found so far are the RWS Superpoint extra(14.5gr) and the crosman premier hollow points. Well worth the money. Only side note. I purchased this on Amazon from Zephyr Sports andit was missing the mount for the scope, it had weaver style rings and the rifle has 3/8 dovetail. Either way Zephyr Sports would do nothing because it was purchased through Amazon. Amazon did offer to take it back and refund, but I had already fixed the problem by purchasing a 30$ adapter. To the point, dont buy a 300 dollar gun from Zephyr Sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, Great Pellet Rifle, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Crosman® Remington® Nitro Piston Rifle, DIGITAL CAMO (Sports)
This is my second pellet rifle. Accuracy is much improved over the first one! The Nitro piston is easy to cock and I like that it can remain that way without weakening the spring! Have terminated several squirrels and chipmonks with the Remington Nitro and now the birds have a chance at the bird feeder! I am very pleased with this gun and am happy to recommend it, to anyone that wants an accurate and quiet rifle to get rid of rodents, without upsetting the neighbors!

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet shooter, August 3, 2010
This is a nice air gun. I have only had it for one day, & all i have done so far is sight in the scope. But so far i really like it.
The scope is great ! & the rifle is a straight shooter. I like the trigger & Recoil is nothing, & it is pretty darn quiet for a 22 cal pellet traveling at around 900 FPS. The check rest is pretty sweet as well.
I am looking forward to getting this out in the woods. Since i have only had it for such a short time....this review will be updated after i have broken er in. The only negative things i can think of to say...is the opening in the stock is a tad small....as i do not have overly large hands & it is a little snug around my thumb knuckle. Also....i would like a sling, maybe i can rig something up. It IS a little barrel heavy....no biggy, i suppose that is because the barrel is shrouded to help silence it.

Ok... im Back with an update :) ... This is the day after i received the rifle....1st let me backtrack.
I was hired to exterminate a horde of red & gray tree rats that has taken over a house & the surrounding forest. Years of the Lady of the house over feeding them caused their population to explode....now they are in the house.....chewing away. So....i have allot of work to do & got at it this morning.
It was very warm & humid in the Northeast this morning... my digital weatherman is showing 92% humidity......Dark clouds rolled in & a thunderstorm broke loose. An hour or so later the rain stopped...so i set out as it was perfect hunting conditions...the moist soft ground made for silent stalking.
I took off the scope lens cover & cranked up the range to around 50 yards & broke the barrel & loaded a round. I made my way down the trail....my strategy.....is to start from the outside in the woods.....& work my way in towards the house...so i rounded a bend & then saw him, a gray at roughly the range i set the scope at, so i shouldered the rifle, flipped forward the safety & held...creeped the trigger forward until....crisp let off then a mild report & a soft thump let me know i connected. Still flopping....so i followed up & finished him. As far as the safety goes....i like it BUT...it does make a click when taking it off....but is silent setting it....the exact opposite the way it should be. other Rats in the area started sounding the alarm so i kept moving...i saw a gray up high but too much foliage was in between us....in the moisture rich air....at that range shooting upward...all those factors were negating the probability of landing a telling blow....so i just let him go & kept moving....this gun hits hard....but to make a kill shot at that range it would have to be a head shot. The rifle is not heavy...but it is un-balanced as the barrel makes it front heavy. Yeah, a carbine version of this with a folding stock would be nice. & a sling would be nice. Due to it being forward heavy, it is kinda hard to make quick snapshots.
Well.....about 20 minutes later another gray was down.....another 10 minutes later a red. A few minutes later i was off for lunch n& now here i am adding this update. After a nap i will head back & resume work.
So....this rifle is a great buy....as it gives you what you need to work with at a reasonable price...sure there are harder hitting more accurate ect guns you can get....but you will pay allot more & spend more time setting up & maintaining ect those PCP weapons. You get a reasonably accurate sufficiently powerful very quiet shooting rifle that will in the hands of a capable shooter....be an effective tool that will enable you to do what needs to be done...when you need to do it. With minimum investment in your time & money....it took me 10 minutes to put the scope on....& roughly 10 rounds to get the rifle & scope to see eye to eye. BTW the gun has a 100 round break in period....before the accuracy will "stabilize" ...which i have not done yet, so far i have only shot it about 30 or so times.... So, to make 3 kills right out the box is pretty darn good. After 100 rounds i will re-sight the scope & then it should be a real tight shooter.
Yes....i like this rifle & am glad i spent my $$$ as i did. It's not perfect...but could you imagine how much a "perfect" one would cost ??

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for certain uses, May 4, 2011
I post under my wife's account; I am a 50 yr-old man (if that matters). My two teenage sons and I have had this rifle for over a year, using it for hunting small game and plinking. Here is our experience:

Pros: nitro-piston is quiet and smooth. The NPSS is accurate and has plenty of power for our uses.

Cons: It is heavy - our's weighs apprx 8.5 lbs with 3-9x40 Centerpoint scope. It also seems that more of the weight is out over the barrel making it difficult to hold steady while hunting something like a chipmunk. We had to purchase a shooting stick to help with this, but that only does so much.
To us, the cocking effort is not as easy as some represent it to be. My youngest, a 7th grader who plays on his Jr High School basketball, has a very difficult time cocking it. I can feel it stress my elbow when I cock it.

We also own a Stoeger X5, which is lighter, easier to cock, and as accurate. But you would expect this from a .177 at about 800fps. The Stoeger is a fun, user-friendly little weapon, but it is what it is.

Overall, other than the weight & somewhat difficult cocking, this is a good rifle. We nicknamed it The Beast. I have ordered a Gamo Big Cat with a BSA 4-16x40 scope for my 13 year-old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid, precise and quiet, March 21, 2011
This is hands down the best pellet gun I've shot. Once the scope was dialed in, I found the accuracy to be quite impressive, shooting groups well under an inch at 50 feet off hand. Has enough power to dispatch even good sized pests, such as large crows, and is quiet enough that it won't disturb your neighbors. The scope is almost nicer than what you need for a gun of this type, and the cheek rest stock works very well with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class, December 31, 2010
neil walker "wampus" (albany, ca United States) - See all my reviews
The Remington (Crosman) NPSS with digital camo is the finest airgun I've ever owned or used in almost 20 years of airgun ownership. It comes with a first-rate scope and a shrouded barrel. It is much quieter than a steel spring break barrel (like the Remington Genesis .177, which I also own and enjoy), and there is less recoil. The shrouded barrel is functional and attractive. Contrary to what PCP owners might say, this gun can handle heavy pellets for close range pest control. The only thing I would change is the plastic trigger guard (the trigger is metal). If you have the money, and you want a powerful, American-made .22 airgun, buy the NPSS right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic rifle, well made and super quiet, June 21, 2011
MB (Rhode Island, United States) - See all my reviews
After the break-in period and after properly zeroing in the scope, this air rifle is top notch. Shot groups are consistent and deadly accurate. I dropped a small 3 lb bunny digging up my garden at 60 yards with a head shot using standard .22 lead Crosman hollow point pellets. It was a clean kill that went straight through. As former infantry expert marksman, I appreciate a well made weapon, and this did not disappoint. In my opinion, one of best air rifles in this price category.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant gun, June 10, 2011
This gun is Well-made, hard hitting, extremely accurate, quiet, has solid construction, comes with an awesome scope. Im getting 3/8in groups at 30ft with H&N field target trophy, then goes through a half inch of high compression plywood. got a little kick to it but it feels great. A bit heavier than i it would be but works excellent. those pesky squirrels had no idea what hit em. There is a 50 shot break in period where its loudish and wont hold a group but after that you can hit a quarter from 50ft with one shot. And all this with you neighbors being completely oblivious to all activities! Worth every cent! Trust me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remington .22 Nitro pellet gun, February 27, 2011
So far the gun seems to work perfectly. I did have to shim the scope mounts in order to zero the crosshairs. The system is not fully broken in yet, but so far it seems to work as well as expected. The rifle doesn't have sling swivels that would be an improvement that I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington Nitro, July 23, 2010
My son recommended this gun, and it is a good one,very accurate easy to load and shoot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›