Published 22 months ago by Professor VDS (Chicago, IL)

3.0 out of 5 stars great book for the right class
I actually considered keeping this book, even though when I order it, it the wrong book for the class I was taking. The information is very insightful and I liked that it contained practical applications as well.
Published 26 days ago by Erika Westbrook

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable textbook for cross-cultural psychology instructors, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Cross-Cultural Psychology: Critical Thinking and Contemporary Applications (5th Edition) (Paperback)
This text has become an invaluable tool for the courses I teach in cross-cultural psychology, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Although many books purport to emphasize the integration of critical thinking skills with cross-cultural psychology, this is the only one that does so successfully. My students consistently rate it favorably, and I give it my highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!, August 26, 2012
Wow, I read this book and then immediately bought one for my sister who is majoring in Psych. This is a great book for anyone (student or otherwise) who is interested in examining the concepts of cross-cultural psychology, its research methods, and how effects of culture influences behavior, development and disorders. This book is easy to comprehend and the exercises are very insightful. Psych books can be dry...this one is very engaging and entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking critically about cultural diversity., August 22, 2012
LCK (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
So refreshing to find a book about cultural diversity that isn't rife with politically correct mumbo-jumbo. This text emphasizes using critical thinking tools to incisively see through the fog of current academic and social fads and fashions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 1, 2013
This book provides an excellent overview of cross-cultural psychology including aspects that need
to be taken into consideration when counseling people from different backgrounds from the counselor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook - highly recommend, August 22, 2012
Cross-Cultural Psychology: Critical Thinking and Contemporary Applications by Shiraev and Levy is an excellent work. I was particularly impressed by the improvements since the 4th edition of this work.

As in the earlier editions, the book does not concentrate only on one avenue of study (i.e. theory versus practical application). Rather, through strong explanations and illustrative examples, it gives the reader a clear understanding of the theory, concepts and practical applications of the text. The text is not overly technical, so it is superb for all levels of students to use.

I can readily imagine this book being used in counseling, clinical, or general psychology classes. In addition, I would argue that this book, even outside of the classroom, would be an excellent resource to keep on one's bookshelf.

My strongest endorsement stands behind this well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cross-cultural psychology book available, August 21, 2012
This book explains theories and concepts in a straightforward and applicable manner. It presents the information in a compelling and engaging way that keeps the reader interested. The book also challenges the reader to utilize critical thinking skills and gives excellent realistic examples. Overall, this book is extremely on point, has thorough research and provides enlightening information with regards to cross-cultural psychology. I highly recommend this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., July 4, 2014
Well, this book is fairly straight forward. I actually think some of the ideas are dated and irrelevant but since I'm not an expert I'm not sure how correct they are.

3.0 out of 5 stars great book for the right class, June 14, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to par, July 21, 2013
Although this book has great information about cross-cultural psychology, I felt like it really only skimmed the surface. As a college student that actually reads the assigned chapters, I felt like I really didn't get a whole lot out of this book except a bunch of background research. Not all of the chapters seem like they're put together in the most efficient way. Still a good textbook to use if one is needed for a class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, January 24, 2013
Well kept for being used. No major or minor problems with the book. I will definitely purchase from here again!

$114.40 $93.25