4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with one major setback
Published on July 3, 2007 by Ford Madox Prefect

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great
Published on March 8, 2007 by Sabi

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with one major setback, July 3, 2007
This review is from: Cross Tech3+ Multifunction Pen with Stylus, Satin Black with Chrome Plated Appointments (AT0090-3) (Office Product)
This pen is quite useful, and it has been quite reliable. I work in a job that requires me to carry a red pen and a blue or black pen, so this fits the bill well. The only problem is the small amount of ink in the refills and the difficulty in obtaining more refills. The erasers have been easy to find at the local office store, and it takes standard .5mm leads, such as Pentel hi-polymers, so those are also easy to buy. If not for the difficulty in finding replacements for the tiny, quickly depleted refills, this pen would be right up there with my Pilot Knights as one of my favorite pens. In answer to the refill problem, I found out today to my surprise that Staedtler multi-action ball point refills work perfectly well of Cross refills are not available. Another good thing about this pen is it is immune to the quality drop in Cross pens since they began mass manufacturing them in China rather than producing them in the classic handmade style in the USA. This pen is Japanese made, and it has the quality of a Pilot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross Tech 3, December 15, 2011
Douglas M. Quayle (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a Flight Engineer in the Air Force, and I need to use the black and red ink, and the pencil features on EVERY flight. I often work in the dark, on Night Vision Goggles, and on a VERY busy tactical flight deck on Special Ops missions.

How's that for a demanding application with which to test this product?

I've taken this pen overseas and to most States in the union. It has never jammed. It has never failed to work. I know it's just a pen/pencil...but to me, it is a critical thing that I need to work EVERY time I ask it to.

Bottom line: This tool (and I DO consider it a TOOL) is one of the most valuable ones in my inventory. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY reccomend this writing tool. Once you use it, you'll wonder how you got by using anything else. Worth EVERY penny of the approx. $35 I paid (and I'm a cheap SOB, by nature).

Scout's Honor. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing instrument, July 4, 2006
Anita T. Lambert (San Clemente, California) - See all my reviews
Nurses are always in need of tri-color pens. We thrive on the free ones but once in a while you have to bite for the finer things in life. This is a great pen, writes nice, and fits the bill. Getting the refills for the red pen and eraser are a pain but love the pen. I keep the free pens for those who ask, can I borrow your pen?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great multi-function pen!, October 18, 2007
I have used this pen for several months now, and I have to say that it is almost perfect. It writes well, feels like a quality writing instrument, looks good, and getting refills is a snap. The refills last quite longer than I expected, so that is a plus. Also, there are four colors of ink to choose from (black, blue, red, & green), plus there is a PDA stylus that can replace one ink cartridge.

The only gripe I have is that I wish it was a little thicker. This is a complaint I have with many Cross products since I have big hands, but the matte finish helps with grip over the polished chrome finish. Even with that gripe, I am ordering my second one since I lost my first one, and the quality vs. price can't be beat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, March 8, 2007
Sabi (Singer Island, FL) - See all my reviews
Very convenient and solid feel. Major detraction is that the lead is not continuously retained securely. Pressing on the lead holder without the lead extended usually restores proper operation, but often must be repeated. Cross wants $10 plus insured shipping to them in order to examine and repair. They would not consider simply sending a replacement pencil element. Too bad because this is a good writing instrument.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Customer Service Makes "Lifetime Guarantee" A Laughable Proposition, June 6, 2013
Cross won't send out a pencil mechanism to replace the faulty one on my Tech 3, but insist that I send the pencil to them for repair or replacement. Further, customer service informed me that I should send the pen by UPS or FedEx because "...we service those first because the people paid to get it to us."

So take Cross's "lifetime guarantee" with a grain of salt. Yes, they'll service your pen or pencil and return it to you with a turnaround time of "four to six weeks," and you will need to pay UPS or FedEx to speed up that service (no guarantees) and you will be without your pen or pencil for a month or more.

In fact it seems like Cross wants to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to assuring the purchaser of their lifetime guarantee. They seem to be saying, "You can buy with confidence because our writing instruments are guaranteed for life," while at the same time making the option of actually getting a repair as unattractive as legally possible, just short of saying, "We were just kidding about that guarantee." Legally within acceptable parameters, but ethically right (write) on the edge.

Nice pens and pencils. Poor customer support. I suppose it's a Cross we'll just have to bear if we want to use their writing tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Performer, June 14, 2013
I use this pen daily with all 3 functions. The pen flows smoothly and the pencil has worked flawlessly. My job requires lots of note taking so this pen gets a workout. I am lost without it. It is slim yet comfortable.I bought the refills when I ordered the pen because I read the ink does not last long. I cannot say that has been the case, It has been 2 months of daily use and I have not have used the pen refill. The pointer works great on both my galaxy SIII and iphone. For someone that takes notes and needs both pen and pencil combo, this is an outstanding unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars My All-time Favorite Pen, February 10, 2012
Brian Groover (Frederick, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I love this pen. I've now bought several, giving most away as gifts. I used one for a couple of years before I lost it, and now have a replacement. It is thin enough to fit easily in my shirt pocket along with my phone, but it is not so thin as to be hard to hold. Having red, black, and pencil available all the time is very nice. When I receive handouts in a meeting, I always switch to red, so any notes I make are clearly visible on the page. I use the medium blue refills instead of the black, because I like writing in blue. Even though they are small, I find the refills last quite a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, August 18, 2011
I purchased this item as a gift for my girlfriend. The barrel was smaller than I thought it would be. It came pre-loaded with a piece of 0.05 mm graphite, thought I don't believe it's capable of holding spares. The switching action was smooth and easy. My girlfriend especially likes it's multifunction feature for editing papers.

If you're looking for a decent multifunction pen, it's a good choice - especially if you're partial to pink, like *ahem* some folks. If you're looking for a simple but refined writing instrument, there may be better options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multi-function pen, July 30, 2011
This pen works well. It does exactly what I wanted it to do easily. It's more expensive than I would like it to be for an everyday work pen. I keep it in my shirt pocket and shortly after I bought it, I leaned against my desk while reaching for something and bent it a little. It still works well. Both colors of ink and the pencil work great and it's very easy to switch between them.

Rate and Discover Movies