5.0 out of 5 stars Our reading club reviews
Published on November 8, 2006 by Ryan Gibbons

3.0 out of 5 stars Surviving
I met and listened to Greg in a series of seminars about the time Free Bird was accepted for publication. I was at times impressed and challenged by his thoughts. At other times I was put off.

Published on September 26, 2006 by An Observer

5.0 out of 5 stars Our reading club reviews, November 8, 2006
I have read everything Greg Garrett has had published. For those who would be interested in reading Greg's other works, I would recommend his first novel Free Bird, and especially his novel Cycling. But far and away the best thing I have ever read from him is this book. He gives voice to the two things that Christians typically WILL NOT speak about -- depression and doubt. In a painfully honest and poignant way, Greg shares how he navigated the path that leads through the valley of the shadow of death back into the light and life of living. In so doing, he appears to hold nothing back (another refreshing viewpoint from a Christian). I believe that ANYONE who desires to live a spiritual life will be heavily influenced by Greg's gripping testimony. I mean, who can't learn from a guy that teaches at a conservative Baptist university but is also studying to be an Episcopal priest?

-- Ryan G.

As a person who has suffered from depression Greg Garrett's pure honesty in this book is comforting. I loved hearing how God spoke to him even in his deepest darkest moments. I believe God saved Greg in his deep pit of depression to speak to those like me who have felt the same way. Greg is candid about the ups and downs and struggles in his Walk with Christ and that is being Real, a trait greatly needed in American Christianity today.

-- Anne S.

One of the best books of honest Christianity since Blue Like Jazz. Greg Garrett's testimony encourages and re-energizes the struggling and downtrodden spiritual soul.

-- Joshua J.

As someone who is also pursuing the goal of becoming an Episcopal Priest as I emigrate from evangelical Christianity, Greg's is a voice crying out to me in the wilderness. As someone who also struggles with depression, there are large sections of this book that echo the very situations of my own life. I can't recommend this book enough!

-- Brian P.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Recovering Fundamentalists and those looking for a gracious God, October 26, 2006
I knew Greg from seminary and never knew all of his story except that he was a great writer and I always enjoyed his sermons and lectures but this book is

a godsend. I was raised in a similar dysfunctional religious background and know what he is talking about. There are also people I know that struggle with depression and are afraid to share their story especially with those who call themselves Christians. I highly recommend this book for people who are struggling, hurting and are looking for a gracious God that accepts people unconditionally. God's grace is everywhere even in the suffering of everyday life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surviving, September 26, 2006
An Observer (Texas, Deep in the Heart Of) - See all my reviews

In Free Bird (his first effort - on a scale of 1-5, probably a 4) Greg wrote: "We're survivors...you & me. That's something I guess. But surviving isn't enough after a while." Those words have stuck with me for quite some time.

"Crossing Myself" offers an explanation for my feelings, emanating from his seminars and developed while reading Free Bird. I took from Greg's seminar that most good literature and films are about redemption. This book is the story of his. It details his acute depression, his true return to a loving Father and the path his journey took.

I found "Crossing Myself" sometimes enlightening but too frequently bogged down in details that seemed inconsequential to the larger story. Having said that, and having fought a much milder depression myself as well as losing a family member to suicide, the book was worthwhile. Strangely, I'm drawn to its positives and have decided to purchase extra copies as gifts for the appropriate readers.

This is a very personal book for folks who want to know Greg better; and likewise has benefit for those who are dealing with depressive personalities or suffering themselves. If you fit any of those categories buy it, it's well worth the read. Otherwise, pass it by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Honest and Amazing, February 8, 2007
Ron Brown "Jesus Follower" (Anson, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I am a pastor in the same tradition that Greg has spent so much time trying to recover from.Yet I totally resonated with Greg's journey. The church has offered little help to those who are suffering from depression other than a scolding for a lack of faith. Greg's honesty pierces the heart and his writing style is so amazing that you feel like your sitting down with him over a cup of coffee as he tells you his story. I hated to read the last page because I know that it will be a long time before another book like this comes along.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey from faith to faith, October 31, 2006
This very readable book takes the reader on a journey from faith to faith. Though Greg grew up in a church which he calls toxic for himself, he demonstrates a never-ending faith in God - even when he himself didn't know that he was a man of faith. His struggle with depression for most of his life is very real and his joy in once again knowing that he is a man of faith is inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest sharing, October 1, 2007
City girl (Norman, Ok USA) - See all my reviews
I love Greg Garrett's willingness to share his questions about his faith in God and religion, and then showing the reader the outcome of this exploration. I already enjoyed his other works and this makes me appreciate him more as a Christian.

Crossing Myself: A Story of Spiritual Rebirth
Crossing Myself: A Story of Spiritual Rebirth by Greg Garrett (Paperback - September 15, 2006)
Used & New from: $2.29