5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Tradition Not a Tired Concept
Just released today in Sydney Australia. Well, I can tell all you folks out there to buy it, although it may not be quite as good as the last offering, dominated as it was by Derek Trucks, Los Lobos and Bill Murray. Well, Trucks and Los lobos are back, but no Susan Tedeschi.

So, to the DVD. Some good and sort of OK highlights:
Los Lobos as professional as...
Published 7 months ago by Robert Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Eric, please fix the synch...and hire a DVD authoring expert
...the audio and video are great....but way out of synch...I spent hours with my A/V sync to try to get it in synch...finally checked here and realized what everyone else has. Eric, if you knew how bad the synch is, you wouldn't want your name on it...and i have every one of the Crossroads

On further review it appears that the DVD authors were completely...
Published 7 months ago by K. Weiss

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Tradition Not a Tired Concept, November 14, 2013
Robert Taylor (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews

So, to the DVD. Some good and sort of OK highlights:
Los Lobos as professional as ever, with a young fella equipping himself quite well behind the kits. He looks like Punky Brewster, and about 16 yrs old, but plays very well. On the Needle and the Damage Done, Greg Allman sings well, but it's Trucks on the slide that lends a subtle beauty to the song's melody.

On Tumbling Dice, Urban comes out swaggering like some CMC jock, and plays Tumbling Dice in a serviceable if not particularly great rendition.
Jeff Beck is excellent and plays here with his regular bassist Tal Wilkinfeld, probably in her 20s now, and a joy to watch and hear. Her rapport with Jeff Beck now is easy to sense. Which is more than I can say for Beth Hart, who Beck largely ignores as she tramples around on stage dominating proceedings. She sings fine, but am I the only one who finds her just a tad over-rated ?

Jeff Beck's Mna Na Heireann is a beautiful interlude, with some electric violin intoning exotic sounds. I really liked this, in spite of being a little out of context.

A guy called Blake Mills came on (never heard of him) and sang a crooner ballad that did nothing for me, but being unfamiliar with the guy, I'll leave it at that.

The Booker T segments are excellent, with Cropper, Matt Guitar Murphy, Lee and that Mills guy again taking turns at lead breaks. Excellent, and Booker T is having fun, probably more fun than the ill-fated stuff he did with Drive By Truckers a few years back.

Another player I was unfamiliar with, Kurt Rosenwinkel played some light jazz guitar in a similar vein to Wes Montgomery. I could have done without it, but I'm not questioning the quality of the musicianship.

All the rest is predictably good, with Warren Haynes and Greg Allman lending a professional air to the evening's entertainment, and Clapton looking and sounding pretty good. I still preferred the last two DVDs but anyone even remotely enjoying classic rock and rhythm and blues will not want to miss this. I gave it 5 stars because, at the end of the day, I won't be churlish. There are some fabulous musicians on offer, and a few ornery moments doesn't change the fact that this is a music lover's basic diet, right here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection. Musical euphoria., November 23, 2013
You'd be hard pressed to find a more enthusiastic fan of Eric Clapton and the musicians that join him at the crossroads guitar festival than myself. I own all the previous crossroads festivals on blu ray and DVD as well as all of the other Eric Clapton concert videos that have been made commercially available. I was also at one of Eric's shows from his tour earlier this year, so I have a good idea of how things should sound.

My home theater consists of a 2012 model 55" Panasonic plasma TV, a PS3, Denon receiver, and Rotel amplification for a pair of bowers and wilkins 685 speakers. My TV is professionally calibrated, and my speakers are tuned to my listening room using audyssey calibration. My remarks on the audio and video quality of this blu ray are as follows-

Video- Very sharp and clean image. Contrast is fantastic, and the clarity of the image can't be faulted. This concert was shown in movie theaters, and the image quality would be right at home at an IMAX theater. This is a presentation only possible due to the high resolution available on the blu ray format. No doubt compression artifacts and noise will be seen in the DVD version due to the limitations of the format. There is an incredible lack of grain and noise despite the dark conditions around the performers and stage. The editing and camera angles are difficult to fault, with plenty of close ups of the feet work of the individual guitar players. You get a wonderful impression and understanding of how the musicians are communicating on stage. Video quality is 10/10.

Audio- What a challenge for the producers to mix the sound! Often a half dozen guitar players are performing simultaneously, along with many other instruments and yet the mix was not crowded or busy. When I was at one of the shows on Clapton's tour this past year I was stunned at the unreal clarity of his vocals in a live setting. Honestly the best I've ever heard a lead vocal sound at an indoor concert. That same impression comes through on the blu ray. Turn up the volume and hear the crystal clear sound of Eric's voice on tears in heaven to hear an example. The uncompressed DTS-MA audios a revelation of beauty. Bass notes are full and clear, vocals soar with punch and dynamics, and every instrument is mixed to perfection. I'd imagine with a proper amplification system this concert could be re-played and with your eyes closed you would believe you were actually at the concert and not at home. I own perhaps 100 concert blu rays and DVDs and have heard plenty of poorly mixed junk. This concert tops mayer's where the light is, Clapton's previous crossroads 2010 festival, the clapton and winwood concert, and Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at radio city in terms of audio quality. It's spectacular, and sets a new standard for concert blu rays.

What about the concert itself? In my opinion, this is the best overall package of performances from any crossroads festival. The musicians are all extremely comfortable and their playing is especially inspired. I was introduced to some new songs and artists and reminded of why I have such a deep love for blues and rock music. These players all have music deep down in their soul and their playing and singing comes from deep within themselves. It's a refreshing reminder of where great music comes from and the uniquely human expression that flows from live musicians unaided by technology. It's all about the music, and you can sense from every performer that they are kindred spirits with one another. Highlights include Robert Cray. The Allman Brothers, John Mayer, Gary Clark Jr... Actually the whole concert is one enormous highlight reel... nothing should be skipped... it should all be savored.

Best $20 I've spent all year. I'll be watching and listening to this for the rest of my lifetime

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw the theater release, October 22, 2013
L J Weber (Erie, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (DVD)
While I obviously haven't seen the video yet, I did see the theater release during the summer. This year's benefit is as good as the 3 previous shows, with some highlights that, to me, were pure gold. John Mayer and Keith Urban doing a "Don't Bring Me Down" was very high on my list and a short acoustic set with Greg Allman, Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks was absolutely fantastic. The typical guitar-heavy, star studded offerings did not disappoint in any way, except in the absence of any footage (in the theater release) of B. B King. I can only assume his age is a factor there. I'm pre-ordering the DVD and the CD (wonderful addition to the available formats) and will be counting the days until they arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to find Layla on the 2004 DVD..., November 4, 2013
J. Johnson (Anniston, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (DVD)
Did you know that Layla is on the 2004 DVD, even though it is not listed anywhere on the jacket? Here is how to find it: Disc 2, go to Extras, Interviews, Guitar Solos, then Main. Hit your left directional button, then hit play & bingo, you have Layla. At least, that's how I find it on my Oppo DVD player. I learned this trick from an Amazon reviewer years ago when this DVD first came out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Eric, please fix the synch...and hire a DVD authoring expert, December 5, 2013
K. Weiss "Ken Weiss" (Treasure Island, FL USA) - See all my reviews

On further review it appears that the DVD authors were completely inexperienced. My guess is that someone with a copy of Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio convinced someone that he/she/they could author the DVD. The tipoff, other than the terrible sync is that when you go to Songs, each "page" starts out with the numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. which is the DVD Studio default. Anyone with an ounce of understanding would know to number the pages in consecutive order.

Completely unimaginable...

2.0 out of 5 stars crossroads 2013 out of sync, December 3, 2013
I agree with others about the out of sync of this blue ray, I first purchased this on dvd, but was driven crazy by the out of sync soundtrack that I returned the dvd and replaced it with the blueray version only to be treated with the same crap,i have all the other crossroads concerts,and all are far superior in sound+picture quality,rhino should do a recall on this dvd-blueray,and fix the problem as the concert itself deserves better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing concert! How to improve video quality: Lower blacks on TV!, November 22, 2013
The best yet! I love all the Crossroads videos. They're always the best collection of blues players gathered in one place. This one features so many of my favorite artists!!

**TIP** I've seen several reviewers remark about the video quality on this Blu-Ray. There definitely is too much digital pattern noise in the shadow regions of the video. BUT if you can adjust your picture settings of your TV, set it to the "Movie" setting or any setting that lowers the black levels. That got rid of the issue for me and made the video a joy to watch!!

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD version defective on disc 2..., January 3, 2014
This review is from: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (DVD)
The video of the 2nd half of the 2nd disc is the same as the 2nd half of the 1st disc!!
Right after Gary Clark it switches over to Kurt Rosenwinkel, who is on the 1st disc. So no Jeff Beck set and any performances including ending afterwards!

Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crossroads Guitar Festival review, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (DVD)
While I enjoyed much of the music, I was definitely disappointed with my purchase. This is a two disc set, and THE SECOND HALF OF DISC 2 WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE SECOND HALF OF DISC ONE! This means most of Eric Clapton's songs as well as the grand finale were missing. Quite frustrating and makes me question future recording purchases.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disk two defective, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (DVD)
early into disc 2 it freezes and cannot access any songs...repeats songs from first disc. Unacceptable and disappointing to miss last 9 songs. Will be returning and I see others have the same issues.

Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013
Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 by Rhino Records (DVD - 2013)
$24.99 $16.88