2,689 Reviews
 (1,599)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From the Future
Greetings Fellow Humans. I come from a thousand years in the future and have traveled back in time to tell all of you that the end is in sight and it is worth the wait. Robert Jordan, having his consciousness digitized has greatly increased his efficiency and is on Book 1452 and is now writing at a clip of 2 books per year. Each book now spans a time period of 1 minute,...
Published on September 26, 2005 by Time Traveller

1,416 of 1,515 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece
Those who can appreciate great setup will really love this book. Personally, I thought the setup in books 8 and 9 were good ... but this was absolutely stupendous. Fans of total plot inertia will be in heaven.

Published on December 19, 2004 by Tom E

1,416 of 1,515 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece, December 19, 2004
Tom E (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews

I've grown to hate the character of Rand because whenever he makes an appearance the plot is in danger of moving incrementally forward. Thankfully, Mr. Jordan saves us from any threatening plot developments by keeping Rand almost totally absent from this book. And when he is introduced - briefly - towards the very end, Mr. Jordan quickly whisks him off to the sidelines before anything interesting can happen. Whew! I'm wiping the sweat off my brow becasue that was a close one.

Have you ever wondered how many stripes should be on the dublet of an important dignatary from Illian? How many shawl twitches are appropriate when Aes Sedai negotiate momentous agreements? What kind of stool the general of an Aes Sedai army sits on, and how stable said stool might be? Well buckle up for a wild ride, amigo, because you're going to learn all that (and more!) by the time you've tediously slogged to the conclusion of this book.

Part of what really makes Mr. Jordan's worlds so unique are the wonderful characters which populate them. I like nothing more than to scratch my head in befuddlement as yet another Aes Sedai is reintroduced into the plot whom I can no longer recall. It gives me an excuse to page to the back of the book and open up the 'Robert Jordan Appendix of Useless and Irrelevent Characters' which is always such a joy. I've created my own drinking game based on this called, [...]
For anyone who wants to play along the rules are simple:

1.) Is the character you're looking up totally irrelevent? Take a drink.
2.) Do you have reason to suspect said character will remain totally irrelevent? Take a drink.
3.) Does the character twitch her shawl? Take two drinks.
4.) Is she looking "cross-eyed" at someone? Take a drink.
5.) Do you know the exact design of the embroidery on the fringe of her shawl? Of course you do - take a drink. For your own sanity, consider taking another.

Anyhow, I don't want to pretend everything about this book is negative ... there are a few positives.

First off, Nynaeve is completely ignored. I suspect Mr. Jordan will make up for this oversite by indulging in an orgy of braid-tugging, yellow-shawled action in books 11-16, but you will be blessedly free of it in this tome.

Secondly, Jordan has stopped even pretending to provide "setup" for future books with CoT. Nothing Of Any Signifigance happens - at all - in this novel. Nothing. There's not so much as a cliffhanger. He's no longer bothering to maintain any facade. I appreciate that kind of bold honesty. He's just holding out his hand and saying, "Listen suckers ... we all know you're going to give me your money - so just hand it over. I could personally visit each of your homes and beat it out of you, but isn't this more civilized?". And, yes, I suppose it is more civilized. So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Jordan for allowing me to voluntarily hand him my hard-earned money rather than forcing him to pummel it out of me in my own house. It is very much appreciated.

I can't wait for Volume 11.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful product from the Jordan Barn..., May 14, 2005
Ian Marquis (Veazie, ME, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) (Mass Market Paperback)
Phone Rep: "Hello, this is ****, representing Bigelow Tea and other fine beverages. How may I help you?"

Caller: "Well, see, I have this problem with my tea..."

P: "Which variety of tea are you having the problem with?"

C: "Bigelow Blueberry Blast."

P: "Alright...what seems to be the problem?"

C: "See, there was this one batch of tea I brewed for myself one morning. I brewed it into a gleaming silver pitcher with a matching silver ropework tray and a set of three silver cups, each with its own saucer that was engraved around the perimeter with tiny flowers. I had bought the set in Saldea. Oh, the Sea-folk porcelain is wonderful, but I'm prone to breaking it. Anyway, I poured myself a cup of tea. There were piping hot scones in a silver bowl on the tray next to the tray that held the tea. The basket was covered with a white embroidered cloth slashed with blue silk, much like my dress. Oh, the neckline is a bit too low-cut for some of my acquaintances, who prefer good stout woolens to that Arad Domai silk that clings to the body in such a way as to leave very little to the imagination. So, as I was eating a scone and drinking my cup of tea, the steam from each rising and intertwining together like dueling serpents, I noticed a peculiar taste in the tea: it was cool and refreshing, with a hint of mint. Of course, I thought nothing of it. Giving my earlobe a tug and my braid a pull, I remembered the idiocy of every one of my male friends, indeed every male I have ever come into contact with, or ever will for that matter. The lot of woolheads can never compete with the superior logic and rock-solid reasoning that every female in the known universe possesses. It's no wonder we all behave the same."

P: "Um...what was your problem with the tea?"

C: "Oh yes, I'm sorry. After I had consumed the tea, I placed the cup on the silver ropework tray and covered the gleaming silver basket of scones again with the white embroidered cloth slashed with bands of blue silk, much like my dress. I remembered the stout man in the streets of Tar Valon: a vendor of sausages he was. Though I know I will never see him again, I felt it necessary to familiarize myself with every aspect of his appearance and personal history. He was a short, stout man with black hair that was beginning to grey at the temples, slicked back on his head in the manner of warriors, though it was obvious he was not one. He wore brown shoes of stained leather that rustled softly against the dirt of the streets, kicking up clouds of dust that lingered in the air even after he had passed. His pants were of stiff wool, dyed green and patched in many places. He wore a leather jerkin over a soiled white peasant's shirt, the cuffs of his sleeves rolled up and out of his way. Around his neck was a silver chain with a medallion attached to it that bore the image of a bear. He spoke with a gruff voice..."

P: "The TEA, ma'am."

C: "Well you don't have to be rude about it. I was only filling you in on the relevant details."

P: "I don't have all day, ma'am."

C: "You do remind me of a lad I once knew, back when I used to frequent the palace in Camelyn..."

P: "Look, we'll send you a case of Blueberry tea, alright?"

C: "Oh...alright then, I suppose that will do nicely."

P: "Do you have any other problems?"

C: "Well, there is this one other problem I have, but it's not with your tea. The other day, I was pouring myself a goblet of spiced wine. Only the wine had grown cold after being left on the windowsill for whatever reason. So I siezed hold of saidar. It was pure rapture...like opening all of my petals to the sun, for I am a flower. It was like floating in a river that tore along with great speed: resist it and you would be consumed by it. So I accepted it and was consumed by the sweet joy. I sent a tiny thread of fire into the pitcher to warm the wine. Soon, steam rose from the pitcher of gold, sunlight rebounding on the inset gems. I removed the pitcher from the stark Cairheinien plinth of the finest marble and poured myself a glass. But the use of saidar had turned the spices bitter..."

*CLICK*

C: "Hello? Hello? Wool-headed sheep-herder..."

1.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Let Down, August 3, 2005
First let me say, there is no bigger Wheel of Time fan than me. Great story, great characters, great writing (for the most part). Having said that, I have to say, making it though the pages and pages of never ending descriptions of dresses, teas, hair styles, tea cups, the porcelain tray the tea cup is sitting on, where the tray is from, who crafted it, the dream the crafter had the night before, how the crafter's wife has the absolute WRONG idea about current events in the world, how the crafter thinks he's got a good grip on what's happening even though the reader knows he's completely off too, and endless experiments on how many different ways a writer can write how an Aes Sedai can communicate disapproval was beyond taxing.

By the time I was done reading, I was ready to drop kick the book if I read about another twitch of a shawl, rearranging of skirts, braid tug, disapproving sniff, disapproving snort, disapproving frown (and the subsequent smoothing of one's features hoping no one noticed), or yet another Aes Sedai standing looking at someone beneath them (who is basically everyone) with hands on hips and a disapproving scowl on their face. I think I'm seeing a pattern here; I think the book would have been a lot less painful to read if an Aes Sedai actually APPROVED of something for once, but I digress . . . (those of you who have read the book should be used to digression by now)

With a very minor exception, every character is in exactly the same place and predicament at the end of the book as they were at the beginning. This wouldn't be so bad if the content was interesting but it just wasn't.

Aes Sedai wear a bunch of different dresses with a myriad of patterns. Don't care.

Elayne is being made to drink weak tea. Don't care

The Shaido are still around. Don't care.

The Seanchan are still around. Don't care.

Caemlyn is still under siege. Don't care.

Perrin took 5 chapters to do nothing except buy some grain. Don't care.

Cadsuane is still the single most annoying character in the history of literature. We knew this coming into the book and I didn't need or care to be reminded again.

Don't care enough even to write about this thing I don't care about.

All of these things I just mentioned would be fine if they were just mentioned once and left alone. The sad reality is that hearing about these things takes up 95% of the book.

Back when the book first came out, I read some of the reviews posted here. After going through pages and pages of comments, only two of the reviews were positive. I finally bought the book last month thinking "those people are just exaggerating; the book can't be that bad".

They weren't and it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Armageddon is here! The Dark One finally strikes!, February 13, 2004
By A Customer
For those readers anxiously waiting for the Dark One to lash out with the first fell stroke of the Last Battle, you'll find it here in the Crossroads of Twilight. No, the vast armies of Trollocs and their Eyeless taskmasters don't boil forth from the Blight to overrun the heart of Randland, leaving only carnage and destruction in their wake; instead, in a dazzling and completely unforeseen plot twist, Shai'tan unleashes his legions of weevils against our unsuspecting heroes, and no one's grain is safe. I'm getting chills now just thinking about the brilliance of the move. Just think: weevils in the grain require winnowing, and winnowing cuts down on the profit margins of merchants, and lower profit margins means bankruptcy. I absolutely cannot wait for book 11, where we will surely see the entire economy collapse, and then it's just a small matter to bring this incredible series to a close. The Dark One will be revealed as an evil loan shark, and he'll break free from the Central Bank of Shayol Ghul and repossess every palace, dress-shop, and circus on the continent. I just hope Cadsuane can teach Rand some creative re-financing options before the situation becomes hopeless.
Some other notable developments:
The quality of tea has really taken a nosedive since the early books in the series, and it's starting to negatively impact the morale of our heroes. After all, what's the upside of fighting off pure evil if you can't even get a decent cup of tea when you're pregnant and temperamental?
The Dark One inappropriately touches one of his minions. I'm expecting a sexual harassment lawsuit in the next volume.
Hundreds of dresses are described in such intricate detail that I was able to sew exact replicas. I'm wearing one right now, in fact. For hundreds of other patterns, you can shop at wheeloftimewardrobe.com.
We are introduced to the riveting social intricacies of the gai'shain laundering subculture.
Perrin gets bored with his own plotline and breaks out of character for a minute before returning to form.
Woolheads battle ninnies and hilarity ensues. Braid tugging is on the wane. Someone sniffs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cross-Weevils of Evil, September 13, 2003
A first - a major fantasy book and best-seller whose major antagonist and most menacing villian is ... I mean are ... grain weevils. I kid you not. The Weevils of Evil. The Mites of Malediction. The Parasites of Perfidy. The ... oh screw it. I can't even make fun of it, I'm so ticked.
Remember when you felt chills about the Forsaken, The Blight, The Black Ajah, The Darkfriends, Shadar Logoth or Padan Fain? Remember the menace of the Waygates, Trollocs and other Dark Spawn?
Well none of that is here. You will feel none of that old wonder, menace or fear. Instead, you will be dreadfully angry that nothing at all happens! Nothing ever happens! If TOR books has a shread of decency, they will FORCE EDIT these books. This 680 page 'story' should have been cut to 100 pages - tops. Does Jordan have no friends that will honestly ask him any penetrating questions or try to help him (and us)?
Every character is immobilized in indecision, and instead of moving the plot ahead, Jordan is actually introducing new characters. New characters - ten books into the series - unbelievable. At least I think they're new - but who can tell? I have completely stopped trying to keep track of the literally HUNDREDS of characters and names in this series.
You know what I mean - some character whose name is EGSWANGAWAINAVIENDARENAMARRA (choose 5-8 characters) speaks and you find yourself thinking, "Who is this? Why did they say that? What is the meaning of that cryptic statement? Why is everyone glaring at them? Will someone PLEASE tell me what happened? Oh, why do I care?" Admit it. You know you've thought it.
Dear Robert Jordan,
I used to love this series. Please start writing like you used to.
Signed,
Disheartented Ex-Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars The poo from a decent writer's behind is better than this, April 9, 2005
1) A good writer has the ability to keep the reader's interest even when he is writing setup.
2) A good writer masters the ability to time the execution of story-lines with appropriate pacing and a sense of the dramatic.
3) A good writer does not need to spell every little thing out for the reader.
4) A good writer knows how to keep his/her story focused.
5) A good writer possesses the knowledge that a book consists of a beginning, a middle, and an end.
6) A good writer respects his/her characters as individuals and recognize their unique abilities to develope in different directions.

Let's take a look at Jordan, shall we?

1) If Jordan had managed to keep his readers interested, he wouldn't be recieving 1-star reviews. Even when you are writing setup you need to keep the reader interested. Robin Hobb, for instance, does this by simply using a language so formidable that reading her words is in itself a pleasure. Jordan's words have become very bland and tasteless over the last few books, not unlike MacDonald's food.

2) As any professional writer knows, when you are dealing with two or more parallell storylines you have to maintain some sort of balance between them and time the unfolding of events so that the reader is able to follow the different threads. You can either divide the different storylines into large "blocks" like Tolkien did in The Two Towers, or you can switch back and forth between them. If you have many different storylines, you have the wonderful advantage of being able to tell only the most interesting bits from each one - kindof like GRR Martin is doing in A Song of Ice and Fire. With so many different storylines in the loop, why would we want to read about people clippnig their toenails? Honestly, one wonders if not a good writer would have been able to derive more interesting events from all these storylines than people drinking tea, going to the tailor or styling their hair?

3) Why does Jordan constantly dedicate half a page of text to every little feeling? A good writer, such as Robin Hobb for instance, only needs a few words to convey the same feeling. Why? Because she uses the groundwork she laid up in the early parts of her stories. She has introduced and developed her characters so skillfully that she after a while does not need to spend many pages describing them or their emotions. The reader knows them well enough to be able to understand their feelings without lengthy explanations. Why then does Jordan need pages and pages of laborously describing every little thing? Either he does not trust his readers to know his characters well enough, or he has simply confused lengthy descriptions with emotions.

4) I think we can all agree that Jordan's story has become unfocused. The main characters are lost like extras in a soap-opera, just hanging around the set drinking coffee and waiting for someone to remember them, though unfortunately the producers seem more interested in filming new, fresh actresses doing threesomes and getting amnesia. In essence, the story of Wheel of Time is simple: there is a bad-guy and there is a good-guy who is destined to fight him. Why then are we reading about the main guy's ex girlfriend's friend's aunts drinking tea and discussing the weather? I'm not saying you can't take small trips away from the main story, but you need to return to it and keep the main story always moving forward. And to all the fans who defends this style of writing with that this deepens his world and how it's essential to the story, I can simply say: you are wrong. And I can also say that a good writer could have spent these hundreds and hundreds of pages deepening the world and adding essential parts to the story in a more fulfilling manner, for instance by keeping focus on the main characters and having them interact with the world around them instead of staying inside their heads, gibbering to themselves. My theory is that all of Jordan's mains are locked as characters. They can't interact with the world in a normal way anymore, and so he has to resort to secondary characters to do it. Except that there is a flaw in this: when a secondary character does it, it becomes redundant.

5) A book should have a beginning, a middle and an end. A beginning to set things up (or, in the case of a sequel, bring the reader up to date), a middle to execute the plot of the book and do build-up for the ending, and an end which should contain some sort of dramatic climax to the build-up from the middle and the beginning of the book. Jordan does not seem to realise this. A book needs a plot of its own. It needs to be about something. Crossroads isn't. It is simply filler without any build-up in the beginning or any end that delivers anything to the reader. In the early books Jordan managed to keep a distinct theme for his books, the travels in the early columes, the great hunt, the chase for the sword in Tear and so on. His last installment totally lacks this. It is not a book that can even remotely be dreamed to stand on its own - as a book should to some extent, even if it's part of a series. Saying that he's doing like Tolkien and writing one long book and not a series is not a valid argument, as Tolkien wrote his entire series before he got published and there was plenty of oppertunity for both himself and for the editors to edit the book as a whole and to conside the series as a whole. Jordan can not pull this off, as his books are written one at a time. He has not means of going back and changing things in the earlier volumes that would need changing in order to convey a sense of this series being one long book rather than a series.

6) Most of Jordan's female characters seem to have developed in the exact same direction, regardless of where they started. I honestly don't think I would notice if someone switched all the "Elayne"s on a page for "Nynaeve" or whomever. They all think the exact same way, use the same words, the same rhythm of speech, and they have basically the same opinions about everything. Except that Nynaeve feels that a braid is the only acceptable hairstyle and other characters have more lofty hair-morals. In any case, this is not the mark of a good writer. A good writer is a person whom after a certain length of text can write a line of dialogue without having to specify who said it or in what tone of voice - the reader can understand anyway if the author is good enough, and given only the choice of words, the reader can feel the tone of it. Robin Hobb is a master in this regard, and she can pull it off because all her characters have distinct personalities and just like real people they have different vocabularies and different rhythms of speech.

Jordan is not a good writer. His writing is well below par for writers published by serious publishing houses. If you still believe he knows what he is doing, you are either deluded, naïve or simply unable to recognize talent. A good writer would never have written this book or taken this series in this direction.

I recommend you stop reading Jordan until he has finished this series completely (which would be at the earliest 2008, but that is optimistic). There are so many better writers out there!

Read GRR Martin, Robin Hobb and CS Friedman instead!

1.0 out of 5 stars Top 10 theories why this book is so bad, January 13, 2004
Gary Riley (Webster, TX United States) - See all my reviews
10. Author ran out of red ink crossing out the boring sections of the original 30,000 page manuscript.
9. Author channeling Andy Kaufman.
8. Manuscript sent to publisher swapped with manuscript sent to bad writing contest.
7. What happens when a million monkeys with a million typewriters aren't given an infinite amount of time.
6. Transporter accident creates good author/bad author versions. Good author rereads last novel and dies of embarassment leaving bad author to complete this one.
5. Attempt to include every plot and character archetype ever created into one series creates a literary black hole sucking the discarded scraps of other bad novels into this one.
4. Author watched too many Seinfeld reruns and thought a book about nothing would be a good idea. Get up in the morning... that's a chapter. Get dressed... that's a chapter. Sneeze... that's a chapter.
3. Author stopped taking medication and was unable to fight compulsion to add hundreds of insignificant details to every scene in the book.
2. It's not a book, it's a drinking game. Chug a glass every time you read something that's already been said 100 times before. Game ends after everyone passes out or one page, whichever comes first.
1. Author has become the literary equivalent of the strippers with the freakish basketball-sized breast implants. While some still have a fetish for reading the author's hyperinflated prose, the rest of us are just gawking in disbelief.
Seriously, even after going through the hundreds of 1-star reviews for this book before reading it, I was still surprised at how bad it is. Nothing happens, literally. 800 pages of people talking, thinking, pondering, and scheming without them actually doing anything. Jordan drags out to 800 pages what hundreds of better authors would cover in far less than 100. If you want to get the most out of this book, turn to the last page of chapter 30 and read it. As mentioned by other reviewers, this is the only page that advances the plot. Everything else is just filler.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wheel of Times grinds to a halt, January 26, 2003
Greetings all
I used to be a big fan of Robert Jordans work but no more. After putting up with the last few lacklustre books and convincing myself that things would improve my patience finally snapped upon completing Crossroads of Twilight. I don't know how Jordans editor could actually let him release what for me has to rate as the worse piece of literary work I've read in a very long time.
Crossroads of Twilight is a book that goes nowhere anytime soon, its more a mismash of plots that don't really add anything new to the overall story. The lack of progression to Jordans epic is truely painful to endure at times and the conclusion to the book is so lacklustre and such a bolt out of the blue that I was left wondering if the other 400 or so pages that contained all the interesting parts of the novel had fallen out of my copy. I'm not sure if I'm old fashioned when it comes to books in the sense that I actually like them to have some semblance of a beggining, middle and end or at least the very slightest hint of a conclusion. Jordans latest novel may yet be one part of a greater story but thats no reason why that individual chapter cannot have its own theme and dare I say its own sense of resolution relative purely to it. For him to have to write a 700 page book after 9 others which does nothing other than to set the stage for another shows a considerable lack of skill on his part. The flaws in Jordans writing are becoming gaping chasms.
It is however not just the lack of movement in the overall story that is becoming increasingly infuriating. Jordans characters seem to be regressing rather than developing. While early on in the series they were interesting they now seem extremly 1-dimensional. Their individual character traits have simply ceased to intrigue me, they now just irritate, like the story itself they have become very worn indeed. This is particually evident in Jordans female characters and their seemingly pathological hatred of all things male. While at first this made for interesting byplay between the characters it rapidly lost its lustre after reading almost 8000 pages of it.
The plot itself, while stalling in book 10 is now starting to creak under its own weight. In order to justify characters doing things Jordan is having to invent increasingly stupid reasons to push the story in the direction he wants. Primarily this takes the form of characters simply not communicating with each other but its becomes increasingly hard to believe this when most of Jordans main players can instantly travel anywhere in Randland or hold meetings in the world of dreams. In fact one of the original strengths of the Wheel of Time, its level of depth and detail has now become its biggest problem. Jordan has so fleshed out his world and so clearly set the limits for what the characters can do, particually with regards to magic that its hard to understand why the characters make life so difficult for themselves given the resources made available to them.
In short all I can say is DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. Skip it and go right to book 11. The most damning thing I can say is that I've been more entertained reading the negative reviews the book itself has garned than the book itself. One almost wonders wether Jordan is creating a new form of novel where the readers reaction to it will be more eagerly anticipated than the work itself.
yours Bennett Oppel

1.0 out of 5 stars Crossroads to Nowhere, June 12, 2003
Scott (Falls Church, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I really can't remember the last time I have been so dissapointed in a fantasy series. The Wheel of Time started off great, got a little convoluted in books 5-6-7, and now seems to be nothing more than a money making machine for the author and publishing house. I know other readers have echoed this sentiment before, but: this entire book could have been summarized in about 50 pages, and I would have enjoyed it MUCH MORE that way.
I mean, the main character of the series (Rand) doesn't even appear until the VERY end. Some of the previously "important" characters do not even have a line of dialogue. Lan? Nynaeve? Oh, there's Lan practicing his swordfighting, and Nynaeve sitting on a bench watching... The Forsaken? I think one of them is mentioned and given about 10 pages to work with. The Dark One? Nothing. NOTHING?!?
But back to more important things like what type of tea Egwene is drinking today as opposed to yesterday, and how bad her headache is, and what type of clothing her maid has laid out for her to wear this morning, and describing the Ajahs for the thousandth time in excrutiating detail. It's utterly ridiculous. Now there are so many minor characters that he spends 20-30 pages writing about, I have serious trouble just keeping track of who is who. He is trying to write about 5 different stories at once at this point, and as a result NOTHING happens in any of the varous storylines. There are no monumentous events in this book, none. I'm not kidding. No clashing armies, no awesome displays of magic, no huge turn of events at the end. Some interesting things happen the prologue that have nothing to do with the rest of the book. Maybe he put in the prologue to book 11 by mistake? At least half the book is spent describing what each person in the room is wearing, what they are eating and drinking, and what their facial expression is. Why do I care about that stuff? Oh, that's right, I DON'T.
And now, sadly, I don't care about this series anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Jordan Book Ever, January 8, 2003
By A Customer
One word comes to mind regarding this book.
Garbage.
Pure garbage. Jordan needs an editor who isnt his wife.
BADLY. Enough already with the whole Perrin whining about his wife being capture. 250 pages of it without ever actually resolving it is MORE than enough. Mat was enjoyable but come on almost a hundred pages and all he basically did was complain that he had to get married. And the Elayne business. Gods she has turned into my worst nightmare. 1. She is stupid. 2. SHe is hormonal 3. She is arrogant and snooty. Do I have to read 200 pages per book about how inept of a ruler she is and how everything is Rands fault (in her eyes) but she still oves him anyway and cant live without him...can I VOMIT now.
At least the last book redeemed itself at the end by having something interesting happen. This book doesnt even have that saving grace. The one item that looked like it MIGHT turn interesting just piddled into nothing. I mean FINALLY LOGAIN MEETS RAND...and nothing. Rand yells and Logain tells him to watch out for Taim and Rand says he knows...eh no big deal. I mean here is something that we have been waiting for and it snothing..a toss away. I guess he was too into Elaynes morning sickness to really spend any time on Rand and Logain meeting. A meandering pile of psychobable nonsense. It used to be that Jordan would give his character personality by adding in little quips like "Rand always knows how to handle women...he would know what to do" Or Nynaeve tugging on her braid.
But apparently that isnt enough anymore. Apparently after 250 pages of Perrin whining so much about Faile that I just want her to die so that we can get on with the story Jordan still doesnt think he has gotten across the message that Perrin is a whiny baby who needs someones boot on his back side telling him to grow up and be a man.
Everything in the book now is nothing more than reflection of how the characters FEEL about something or what they are THINKING about something. NOTHING HAPPENS.
I swear if I have to read one more three page description of what someone is wearing I am gonna pull my hair out. And I am assuming that next book he is really gonna go all out and the intro wind blowing will last a whole chapter maybe. How many things a wind can blow over and bounce off of before he gets on with the story is amazing. I never get enough of it. Please bounce the wind off a few more things next time Jordan its facinating really.
The only reason I even read the books anymore is because I want to know what happens in the end. This book doesnt even give me the luxury of having ANYTHING happen.
Like I said. Jordan needs an editor BADLY. His last effort is pathetic.

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) by Robert Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 2003)
$8.99