5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for startups who are looking for capital!
Published on May 22, 2012 by David Richer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Intro, Lacks Depth
Pros:
*Costs less than $4 on the Kindle.
*Quick read.
*Good overview of investment history and highlights why the movement is a big deal.
*Introduction to strategies for equity based crowd funding throughout the process.

Cons:
Published 23 months ago by a web designer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for startups who are looking for capital!, May 22, 2012
This review is from: CrowdFund Your StartUp!: Raising Venture Capital using New CrowdFunding Techniques (Paperback)
As an owner of a startup, I am always looking for creative ways of funding. I'm aware of social networking and microlending but until I read Rupert Hart's excellent book, I didn't see how these two important paradigms could actually benefit me. This book is helpful for anyone owning a small business who wants to add some capital to their enterprise without giving up the farm to do it. Hart explains clearly how crowdfunding works, how the JOBS act was created for people like me, and even detailed explanations such as determining the value of my company and setting the share price.

Figuring out all the red tape and regulations would have been so aggravating that I would have never thought that the JOBS act had any benefit for me. However, Hart's book helped me cut through the red tape and explain clearly and simply what I can (AND MUST) do to keep my business properly funded in today's modern business world.

This is definitely a book you can't judge by the (creepy) cover. This book is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entrepreneur's quick read on startup financing using crowdfunding, May 8, 2012
Angela M. Hey (Portola Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a quick read, written in folksy, down-to-earth business language based on the author's extensive experience both in Europe and Silicon Valley. If you think that crowdfunding is easy - then think again - this book will teach you to approach your funders professionally. It will give you insights into how venture investors think.

With pragmatic wisdom, brutal honesty and a dose of wicked vulgarity, Rupert Hart takes the budding entrepreneur through the challenges of getting a startup funded. He quickly takes the reader through the choices for financing a new business: grants, credit cards, delayed payments, angel investors and more. He says "This is how it was. All of this changed with crowdfunding for startups." As a consultant who has advised high tech startups, I cannot agree that "All of this changed". However, the author's assertion that the JOBS Act and crowdfunding will radically change company financing is right on.

In addition to crowdfunding, the list of financing options in Chapter 1 is still very relevant for the cash-strapped small business. I also like the way the author differentiates between funding a cause and funding a company. He also tells you when crowdfunding is not a good idea.

Another all or nothing moment of the book with a fatalistic streak is when the author poses the question and answer "Will your company run out of cash? Ultimately this is the fate of all companies." The drama in this statement reflects the chatty dialog of the book - Rupert gets to the heart of the entrepreneur, sniffing out the worst fears. This may sound dire, but it's just the way an investor looks at a new business - assessing the risks, not always looking on the bright side of life.

Chapter 3 tells you how to value startups - something both entrepreneurs and investors are frequently curious about. The author gives a brief overview of how you might promote your business, especially before the crowdfunding takes place. Amazingly he doesn't talk much about using social media or crowdsourcing to find telemarketers. He does make useful suggestions on how to pre-market - even suggesting you might publish a book even if it is only 12 pages.

Chapter 4 has the good, the bad and the ugly of dealing with investors. Rupert pulls no punches and tells it like it is. Chapter 5 provides brief speculation on the future of crowdfunding.

With a list of useful resources and a copy of The JOBS Act of 2012 in the Appendix, this is an easy-to-read reference for anyone wanting to raise capital using crowdsourcing. It provides insights for those who want to invest in small businesses or work in the nascent crowdfunding industry. Like Entrepreneur Journeys: Bootstrapping: Weapon Of Mass Reconstruction this book will appeal especially to bootstrappers.

Disclosure: I received a pre-publication review copy of the book as a PDF file, free from the author, who radiates exuberance and creativity as portrayed on the book's cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Intro, Lacks Depth, January 23, 2013
Pros:
*Costs less than $4 on the Kindle.
*Quick read.

Cons:
*No real case studies of crowd funding are explored. The book is likely a set of the author's recommendations based on personal insight and experiences.
*No insight into strategy for the donation/support type of crowd funding (KickStarter, IndieGoGo). These don't result in shareholders - potentially a more valuable route.
*Lacks depth. Don't expect to understand any of the specific platforms or how to use them successfully.

It's a quick and decent read, but look to the platform websites and real historical examples for a real strategy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely for small investors and big thinkers, May 8, 2012
Katrina Galway (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Rupert Hart's guide is timely for everyone to venture into the world of raising venture capital. The JOBS Act that was signed into law by President Obama on April 5, 2012 included a provision to allow for a wider pool of smaller investors with fewer restrictions to contribute and participate. This book describes how to invest and how to source, and will give you a heads up on a major shift in business and philanthropy funding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Potential Investors Can Start A Funding Revolution, May 8, 2012
Marie Logan (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
CrowdFunding Your Startup! is the definitive guide for new entrepreneurs, not only to understanding the new methods now available to startups for raising venture capital, but Mr. Hart also provides excellent advice in many areas of small business strategy that will put you on the road to success.

My personal interest is not in starting a business, but in potentially investing in business where I could not do so in the past, due to restrictions on small investors. I found the book very engaging and it helped me to understand how to identify successful entrepreneurial prospects.

I think the most provocative idea in the book is the idea that CrowdFunding could shake loose new capital at a magnitude that hasn't been seen since the 1960s when tax treatments for venture capital changed and Silicon Valley was transformed. Imagine the possibilities; its going to be a revolution!

CrowdFunding Your Startup is a pleasurable read with Mr. Hart's easygoing writing style, and it's definitely worth your time if you have any interest in entrepreneurial ventures, either from the point of view of the small business owner or the small investor. Buy it today and participate in the revolution!

5.0 out of 5 stars Silicon Valley Serial Entrepreneur & Start-up Coach, September 19, 2012
Rupert Hart's book is pretty amazing! Busy entrepreneurs often find it hard to find time to read long books, and Rupert Hart has done them a great service!

I read this book from my perspective as a year serial high tech entrepreneur in Silicon Valley who also provides consulting and coaching services to first time entrepreneurs. I love doing that coaching because I really want the world to get better, and soon. And entrepreneurs are the people who create those engines of change that can make the future much better than the past. With 20+ years of start-up experience, I know a fair amount about how start-ups have traditionally got funded, and I've toyed with sites like Kickstarter, but I wanted to know specifically what the CROWDFUNDING act said and whether it could help any of my own ventures or those of my clients. I learned what I wanted to know about the CROWDFUNDING act, and didn't expect to be engaged by the parts of the book covering general funding topics I already know a lot about. But I was wrong. I found the book an easy and engaging read, and wound up reading it cover to cover. In the process, I found much of the fundraising lore I share in my coaching nicely codified in both the chapters and one page summaries. It is nice to have it all together and so compact and yet clear, and I am definitely going to use this as a reference book I'll urge my entrepreneur clients to own and refer to when we are working on their funding plans.

In just 70 pages of easy to read text, Hart has provided the right level of detail for small business owner to understand what the new JOBS and CROWDFUNDING Acts can mean to their ability to raise money in ways that previously were forbidden by law. The key points are all summarized in 5 additional single page summary sheets, one for each chapter. You can skim this book in minutes and read it closely in just a couple of hours.

What's more amazing is that this is not merely a description of the acts and their implications, but as I mentioned above, Hart also gives valuable concrete recommendation for any entrepreneur raising money, even if they aren't using crowd funding. I particularly thought he did a good job explaining how to set up your company so it is worth investors meeting with you, and explaining how to estimate company valuations of early stage pre-revenue companies, how much of their companies entrepreneurs should give up in seed rounds, and how to manage ongoing investor relations around subsequent rounds and liquidity. From my coaching business I know these are always some of the topics that concern 1st time entrepreneurs the most, so I will be recommending this book as a resource for them on just that basis alone.

In addition to the main text and summary pages mentioned above. the book contains several appendix pages with references to a lot of great books, websites, blogs and associations that entrepreneurs will find really useful to become familiar with as they develop their businesses, plus he includes the complete JOBS Act legislation so you will have the law at your fingertips -- with highlighted passages of the ones most relevant to you as an entrepreneur.

Finally, this book contains something missing in far too many books of this size and type: a detailed index at the end, that will let you quickly find the section on any topic you need to refresh yourself on. That makes it not just a read and toss book, but a valuable permanent reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing style for a book on raising money -- loved reading it!, May 8, 2012
What I like about Rupert Hart is his writing style. Unlike so many authors who write dry and hard to digest financial guidance books, Mr. Hart's prose makes you want to keep reading. The other guys usually just put me to sleep.
CrowdFund Your StartUp! is an incredibly useful guide to raising capital. Every entrepreneurial should read this practical step-by-step manual.
I find this book not only instructive but it also gives me hope that we are heading for better times financially.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, December 6, 2012
Andy S (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Quite a good starter book on how to crowd fund a start-up. Can be adapted and applied to many types of start-up, including non-profit. A very good resource to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made me re-evaluate my business, October 5, 2012
As a small business owner funding your idea or product is the largest challenge we face to growth. Having worked in Venture Capital at one point in my life funding was only for a select few but in the US most business growth is from small business and this is where Mr. Hart's book provided specific direction and explanation of crowd funding and how it can benefit the small business entrepreneur. I highly recommend the book, it is well worth your time to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great synopsis of a new paradigm, July 13, 2012
A great synopsis of the intricacies of crowdfunding combined with a detailed knowledge of the mechanics of starting a business. Rupert does a great job of covering all the facets required to start a business and tying them in to the most recent and lucrative source of funding to get any small business off the ground and into the <enter appropriate adjective)sphere. He captures the kernels of an MBA program in a brief hundred plus pages.

Eric Rowland
MBA Santa Clara University

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

$11.95 $10.34
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.