Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Flavor: Fancy Pink|Size: 6 Ounce (Pack of 12)|Change

on October 10, 2012
It's okay tasting crab meat, but understand that it's not a 13 oz can of meat. It's an 8 oz can of meat with 5 oz of water in it to make your 13 oz. Do a zoom and look at the label. Big difference. That works out to 38.5% water you're buying. Most of the other brands are 6 oz cans with 4.25 oz meat and 1.75 oz water making those 29% water, making the Crown Prince can roughly 1/3 more water than most other brands. It's not misstated, so no reduction in stars for dishonesty or anything. I just think that any product that is comprised of nearly 40% water and advertised as 13 oz is not as good a deal as they are attempting to portray.

I didn't look at the zoom pic dry weight before buying. I've bought it here locally by the dry pound and water weight is extra. So I was thinking I could fudge a bit on my recipe that calls for one pound of meat (yeah, I know it's cheating), throw in a slight extra bit of filler, and save a few bucks. Unfortunately for me, it goes the other way because I have to use two cans to get that pound. Live and learn.

Factor that in when you are comparing prices.
on January 18, 2016
I am a little confused about another review, they said it wasn't a 13 oz can but an 8 oz can of crab with 5 oz of water. The cans I purchased (& reviewing) clearly state on the can 4 oz of crab & 2 oz of water. I based my recipes on those measurements. I made crab balls and my husband said they were great & "were full of flavor". Since I couldn't get fresh lump crab, this was the next best thing. I mixed this crab with the Zataran crab ball mix (also purchased from Amazon) and I was pleased with the results. I plan on buying more when I need it.
on January 11, 2013
Crown Prince has the best lump white crab meat. It taste like you are eating
hard shelled crabs. Little expensive but beats the fancy which is stringy.
Great for crabcakes or making dips. Wish more stores carried the product.
Amazon is very quick to deliver, but on occasion it would be nice to
just pick up a can when needed.
on April 1, 2014
We've used Crown Prince brand crab meat for many years. It's so handy to have it on the shelf for convenience. I have several recipes which need crab meat and this fits the bill perfectly. It's always been freshly packed and has a pleasant, mild flavor. I used to be able to purchase it at the "warehouse" store, but have trouble finding it. This crab is FAR superior to most canned crab meat, and has been consistent in quality over many years of use.

For those who complained about it having shell in it, ANY and all canned crab meat may have bits of the crab 'housing' in it. This has occurred in canned crab meat for at least 35-40 years, that I can remember.

It's recommended sometimes, that canned crab should be rinsed once and drained well. Drained crab meat should be placed on a plate or cutting board, and carefully gone through to feel for non-meat pieces. Usually most cans will have only a couple pieces, and this process takes literally, just a few moments.

I noticed that someone complained that there were small bits of crab in the can, not all pieces were larger lumps. Any canned food product, will be filled with larger nice looking pieces, and then smaller pieces are added, to bring the net product weight up, to meet can measurement requirements. Crab, more than most food items, doesn't have typical chunks of which are of easy somewhat uniform sizes, like green beans. Canned chicken breast will also have smaller bits of meat in it, for the same reason.

This product also comes in a smaller can of approximately half the size of this one.
on July 20, 2012
If you like to whip up appetizers that the whole gang will agree on, then use crab. Crown Prince makes it easy (not cheap) to do with these cans of rich, lump crab meat for you. Keep some on hand and a few fave recipes and you will almost always have good stuff to throw together and enjoy with crackers on any occasion. Be mindful of course, that a number of folks are allergic to shellfish so always ask ahead of time.
on June 17, 2016
I miss seeing this in Costco - now they have fresh crab instead - undoubtedly better quality, but must be taken home and eaten now. I want something I can have in my pantry in case I need to whip up a fancy lunch or something. I make crab cakes with this product and always get raves.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2009
I really regret I purchased this item. After first can I decided to throw it in the thrash. There are minced traces of crab meat with bones. Does not taste like a crab at all. 1/3 of the content is just water. Wasted money.
on July 16, 2007
Although it tasted like crab, the product in this can is quite stringy and wet. I have not been able to make a decent crab cake or crab salad with this product and am quite disappointed. I have purchased good canned crab in the past, tho I can't remember the brand.
on January 13, 2013
The crab meat is not quite the "lump" style that I expected as the lumps were fairly small and the crab meat tastes a bit fishy but passable with melted butter. Be mindful that the cans ARE large so you are purchasing a LOT of crab meat when you buy this item!
on February 8, 2009
I guess you get what you pay for. Full of crab shells and no flavor.