4.0 out of 5 stars Intersting, some great events, but a more tedious pace
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Book 7 in the Wheel of Time series, Crown of Swords is the first one of the series where it took me some effort to get through some parts. This one, in my opinion, is the first one where RJ's attention to detail becomes a detriment as opposed to an asset. It begins with Rand reestablishing himself in Cairhien after the events in the...
Published on October 19, 2005 by James Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars I am in the midst of re-reading the novels
This book doesn't have a beginning, middle, and end like most. It kinda seems like ONE BIG MIDDLE. But it is still entertaining .. and the plot keeps moving forward (some). Maybe I have been reading too long but what I have noticed in this seventh volume is that Jordan's style has suddenly shifted. There are whole chapters of characters going from city to city...
Published on December 22, 2000 by Ian Stark

‹ Previous | 168 69 7085 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars i miss the first few books, April 30, 2001
This review is from: A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7) (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, this one was better the Lord of Chaos, thats for sure. And as every book in the series, it has its moments. But man alive Jordan must be emotionally attached to this series cause he seems to never want it to end. There are so many scenes that could easily be taken out, and are smiply useless. Taking them out would speed up the book greatly. 100 pages can go by without something significant happening and its incredibly frustrating. He leaves the end of the book in a cliffhanger, but oddly it dodn;t really do anything for me. As i have said earlier, the series is becoming way too predictable, whenever something bad happens, it either happens to a minor character (Nalsean, which pissed me off), and if it does happen to a main character, then you know nothing will come of it. Blame it on taveren if you will, but Jordan seems unwilling to take risks. While this book is still pretty good, it makes me wish for the first 3 books in the series, which were great and defined the series as a whole. nonethless, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, wonderfully written., March 16, 1999
By A Customer
All in all a great book with a wonderfully crafted stroyline. The characters are so real you almost expect them to talk to you. Robert Jordan is a talented writer and I've enjoyed many of his previous works but this is the best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars When do number 8 come, November 26, 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: A Crown of Swords (Audio Cassette)
It's fantastic, the book becomes better even as you read it.
The first book was very good and Jordan has continued his
good writing. The way everything fitts together is
fascinating. Just one advise... Read it ! (at all costs...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jordan.....MOVE FASTER!!!!, December 5, 1997
By A Customer
The WoT is by far the best fantasy series I have ever read. Better even than Tollkien and Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman put together. It's just taking way too long. Enough of the Fallon Crap let's finish this series up.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulously written characters & a mesmerising plot, October 12, 1998
By A Customer
With every one of his books, I fall more in love with the characters. I cannot wait for him to release the eighth book in the series, and while I can't wait to find out how the series will end, I don't actually want it to.

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K. Let's be Fair., October 22, 2003
By A Customer
"A Crown of Swords" was not one of Jordon's best. He lacks devercity in his characters. Not all women have to be pretty. And not all men have to be spineless around women. Also he opens up so many political plots that it takes away from the story and confuses the reader. Plus he doesn't focus on his main characters, he gets to cuaght up in the lives of sub characters. However I feel many people are being unreasonably unfair to Jordan. Not all the women hate men. Hello, three women are in love with Rand, women are constantly throwing themselves at Matt, and Faile loves Perrin while the First of Mayene is chasing him. I enjoy the atention to detail in this book, but Jordan should keep in mind that constantly explaining what everything looks like is somewhat tiring to the reader.
There are certain aspects of this book that keep it intriging and encourage me to keep reading. Like: I'm dying to know what will happen to Matt, who is my male favorite character, I know he can't die he still has to marry the Duaghter of the Nine Moons(who I think is Seanchan). Also When is Gawyn going to reunite with Egwene? They are my favorite couple. Also how is Nyvene(she's starting to annoy me) going to help Lan. And when is Avienda,my favorite female character, going to meet Min.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing!, June 19, 1996
By A Customer
This is an awesome series. Can I rave enough? I didn't think so. Trust me, trust everyone else, this series is totally and finally and completely addicting! Start at the beginning and I promise you, you will like this

5.0 out of 5 stars great the best yet, March 28, 1998
By A Customer
Great."A Crown of Sowrds" was the best yet with the characters drifting apart and changing but at the same time are pulled together. This thriling and excyting novel is the best, write more Robert Jordan!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars This is becoming painful ..., May 11, 2009
When I first started this series of books sometime back in another age that became myth and then became legend (etc. etc.) I really enjoyed them. It's hard for me to believe that now. I have just finished this one (at least 4 more to go - argh!!) and it is the most tedious so far. The only way I could get through it was by literally skimming the pages (sometimes *skipping* the pages), stopping at the very rare bit that looked like it might catch my attention. Usually I was wrong though and it was not worth stopping and I could get back to skimming. My wife doesn't know why I persist and at this stage I'm not sure myself - just stubbornness I suppose. And at the heart of it I like the story. If only he had made a trilogy instead of a 12(or so)-ology of it.

I don't even know why I'm writing this review - if you have got this far in the series, there's a good chance you'll feel obliged like myself to try and finish it. But don't feel like you're missing much if you read it like I did - skimming over 90% of it :)

Maybe someone sometime will make a single summary novel out of it and it may become an enjoyable read again :)

P.S. I have to agree with most people on Nynaeve, I almost wish the gholam had got her in this book ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than LotR if not better., December 14, 1997
By A Customer
The Wheel of Time is a series not to be lost in the modern crap fantasy series. Robert Jordan has a rich, world which is extremely realistic. A great book of the classic battle of good against evil. Not to miss!

‹ Previous | 168 69 7085 | Next ›

A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7)
A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7) by Robert Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - November 15, 1997)
$7.99 $7.19