5.0 out of 5 stars One of Her Best Discs.
Published on February 9, 2010 by A*

3.0 out of 5 stars Crows - A Mixed Bag That Could Have Been Much Better
Published on March 29, 2010 by Philip R. Heath

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Her Best Discs., February 9, 2010
A* (New York, N.Y. United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of hers for years and loved her last disc, Mockingbird. But Crows is on an entirely different level. It leans so heavy on melody and strings allowing her voice to really shine and she gives you everything she has on these haunting songs. "Still This Side of Gone," is just melancholic beauty. The entire disc has this almost eerily atmospheric intimacy to it. The title track, "Crows," has a simple piano riff that underplays the lyrics brilliantly . And "Easy in the Summertime," follows in the same aforementioned formula. These songs, sort of like the rest of the disc, wrestle with inner turmoils of heartbreak/nature, but everything about this disc is just so polished and heartfelt that it avoids schlock. Moorer's voice has always been a thing of blues inflected beauty and with this disc's three upbeat tunes, it manages to have a hopeful poignancy to even the darkest of material on this disc. Wonderful album that matches the greatness of The Duel and The Hardest Part.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Fan of Allison Moorer, February 27, 2010
mary donegan (columbia, md. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
I read somewhere about this singer and thought I'd give her a listen. I am not a fan of country music. I am now a big fan of Allison Moorer. This is an artist I can really relate to. My favorite singers are people like Bonnie Raitt, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Judy Collins. I feel Allison belongs in this group. Her songs are lyrical, heartfelt and I can understand every word she says. Hope she tours in my area soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allison Moorer Does It Again!, February 13, 2010
Erik North (San Gabriel, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
So many of the great female singers that have come down the pike during the last ten to twenty years have come in the Americana genre, and Allison Moorer is one of those. With albums like MOCKINGBIRD, THE DUEL, MISS FORTUNE, and GETTING SOMEWHERE, she has set herself up as a consummate artist--not an easy thing to do in a genre whose artists steadfastly refuse to throw their lot in with the corporate country music establishment that has lauded Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift to the hilt. She's a natural maverick, not unlike her big sister Shelby Lynne or husband Steve Earle, one of the true rebels of recent decades. She just has a different way of showing it on her albums, and CROWS isn't any different.

With the exception of the twelfth track, "It's Gonna Feel Good (When It Stops Hurting)", which was written by the album's producer R.S. Field, everything on CROWS is from Allison's own pen, and her very stately and relaxed, acoustic rock oriented sound, splashed with occasional string sections, mandolin, and pedal steel, makes this a thoroughly listenable album. What is unusual about it, however, is how so many of the songs are in minor keys, giving them a mysterious, eerie quality, and the fact that Allison spends as much time at the piano as she does on guitar. Contrary to how that might sound, however, she doesn't try to imitate Norah Jones on any of her songs, either in vocal inflections or in sound; this album is still uniquely her, and her voice is as refreshing as on her past albums.

Allison, in other words, has done it again; she has made an album that will likely feature in a few Top Ten lists, including mine, when 2010 comes to a close.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crows - A Mixed Bag That Could Have Been Much Better, March 29, 2010
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
Crows is Allison Moorer's latest recording of original songs following her cover album Mockingbird (see my review). This is a collection of dark, brooding folk tunes featuring Moorer's gorgeous voice. The opener "Abalone Sky" is fairly sparse featuring acoustic guitar to accompany Moorer's lament for something/someone that troubles her. This song is beauty in sadness. "Goodbye To The Ground" follows nicely adding some additional instrumentation while keeping the same mood. Moorer gives listeners an interesting variation on "Broken Girl" as the instrumentation lightens up a bit, but her voice is still haunting as she tells "Storms gather in her head sometimes". Her delivery on the bridge of the song is earnest and gives intensity to the song that sticks with you.

However Moorer stumbles at times with her songwriting on Crows. The chorus on "Just Another Fool" is trite and sophomoric "Ooh she ain't gonna let you in fool/she ain't ever gonna break her rule/and if you try your' just another fool." The lyrical pattern on "When You Wake Up Feeling Bad" seems to have caused Moorer problems as she had four verses each with four lines that rhyme. Needing to rhyme with "old", the third line is "All the bread in the kitchen's grown mold". Her delivery matches the awkwardness of the words themselves, and it essentially ruins the song. Finally, "Easy In The Summertime" features three choppy verses delivered hastily. This was my least favorite song on Crows.

The remainder of the songs came off fairly lukewarm. They weren't bad, but there wasn't anything that really stuck with me about them. When you add it all up, Crows is quite a mixed bag from Allison Moorer. Some songs show promise, but I would recommend buying mp3s of the few good songs and passing on the rest.

Download this: Abalone Sky

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorrowful Songs, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
This is the first CD by Allison Moorer that I have listened to. She clearly has personal experience with depression and sings and writes about it beautifully. The songs are of different styles and tempos. Wonderful in expressing her feelings. I thought it was excellent, but sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars I want Allison back, July 28, 2010
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
I own every CD Allison has released that I am aware of. All of which were ordered through Amazon as was Crows. I am really a huge fan and feel guilty writing such a poor review. I pre-ordered this CD and could not wait for it to arrive. After listening to the first 3 or 4 cuts I thought they possible had labeled the CD wrong. I then continued to listen the whole CD 3 times trying to like it but instead liked it less each time. The song were sad, depressing and did not lend themselves to showcasing her voice. Those of you who know this artist will agree she has one of the most beautiful voices ever recorded. Maybe she needs to get out of the Big Apple for awhile and return to her roots in for inspiration. Allison's bread and butter is in the Country genre and hopefully she will realize that you don't deviate from the things that are work. I highly recommend all of her previous CD's

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing the Allison of old, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
I'm giving this 2 stars, not because I like it that much but because Allison's voice is too beautiful to record a 1 star album. I've been a fan of Allison Moorer since she recorded Alabama Song. I thought The Hardest Part was one of the best country albums made. I saw Allison live in Philly just after she released Miss Fortune and she was great. In Getting Somewhere we saw some departure from the country formula that made her a success. All artists tend to spread their wings a little. So it was no surprise that the next two CDs were named after birds. Mockingbird took Allison even farther from her country roots but in Crows we find an artist crossing over way too far from country to more standard "run of the mill" folk and pop. While her sister has pulled a nice switch by flavoring her country twang with some heart felt blues, or paying tribute to some great singer song writers who made some great song, these songs simply lack character. Whereas I once walked around singing Allison's songs, there isn't a song on Crows that I've fallen in love with or that I feel is catchy or noteworthy. The songs are gloomy and most were written in minor keys make them even more morose. That's not a problem as Allison has written a few sad songs in the past, one about her mother, that brought tears to my eyes. But these songs aren't up to snuff with her usual story telling excellence. And there are plenty of folk and pop singers out there. Go onto myspace and you can find plenty of mediocrity among pop singers. Why join them? I always hoped for more from Allison. For my money, I'd just as soon pull out The Show or The Hardest Part and enjoy a beautiful voice singing beautiful melodies. I hope this cd is met with the mediocre sales results that it warrants, not because I mean any ill will toward the artist but because I'm hoping for a wake up call that sends her back to her roots to share the country spotlight that she handed away to others, like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice but songs are average, April 16, 2010
Alabama slammer (The Mighty Mighty Gulf Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
It's painful to give AM less than a stellar review. She has such an amazing voice which is velvety, rich, dusky, and technically near perfection. The songs are problematic on Crows. They aren't very memorable and one in particular is really awful. The choice to record with a piano was a good one as she has the voice to pull it off. Next time more variety in terms of tempo would help. This is just too much of a slog that never really goes anywhere. She sounds a bit like Ann Wilson of Heart in places, Marti Jones in others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something was going right in the studio, November 26, 2013
David Bondy (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
Something was going right in the studio because this one's a beauty. Allison Moorer has a lovely voice and uses it well on Crows, conveying deep feeling with seeming simplicity. You can hear all the way to the back of the emotions on this record, which is a tribute to the singer and the songs. However, I also take note of the sound and arrangement of the album because it works perfectly with Ms. Moorer's songs and voice.

The music never pushes her aside, never crowds her out, as so much production tends to do. These are classic sounds, without a lot of fuss, leaving landscapes of space for Ms. Moorer to fill and enough room for us to dream. This is record production with its ego in check, getting out of the way and allowing the music to speak. The man behind it, R.S. Field, supports Ms. Moorer, bringing clarity and balance to the proceedings. When you have a voice like this to work with, you get out of the way. Mr. Field never says "Look at me". Instead, he makes sure the spotlight is always on the singer, while brilliantly controlling the color and intensity of that light. We are lucky to have him, as is Ms. Moorer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crows disappoints on many levels., August 17, 2012
This review is from: Crows (Audio CD)
Firstly let me say I am a big Allison Moorer fan and own all of her previous musical offerings, but having said this still remain open minded to listen and enjoy her continuing journey.

Crows is a collection of songs I found hard to listen too, not just from the melancholic tilt of this collection but also from the production which rarely if ever allowed her voice to shine and often sounded leaden and started to loose her vocals in the mix. Many of Allisons previous recordings captured beautifully the timbre and depth of her vocal range ,on Crows she seemed to sing in a different register which combined with the arrangements left me straining to her the words and unable to connect with the music. I tried to come back to this CD several times but often did'nt listen to the end.

After eagerly waiting for Crows to arrive I can only say that I doubt Allison will be touring this album to packed houses!! Shame as she is a singer songwriter who at her best can really connect and engage the listener.

Crows
Crows by Allison Moorer (Audio CD - 2010)