2,334 Reviews
 (1,867)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the M500
I did a LOT of research on SSD's before deciding on the Crucial M500. My shortlist of drives was as follows.

My target computer for this drive is a MacBook Pro mid-2010 model.

Published 20 months ago by David Selector

1.0 out of 5 stars I updated from a Kingston 120 GB SSD for more ...
I updated from a Kingston 120 GB SSD for more space. Big mistake. Hard drive failed me within a few weeks. Now dealing with Crucial support which is making me jump through hurdles just to attempt to apply for the warranty. Not sure if I trust this product for any storage purposes.
Published 8 months ago by Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the M500, July 11, 2013

My target computer for this drive is a MacBook Pro mid-2010 model.

- Samsung 840 Pro. This drive has a very good reputation, but it is by far the most expensive of the drives I considered. It has faster overall performance than the other drives I looked at, but that doesn't matter to me as my laptop is only capable of SATA-2 speeds.
- Samsung 840. The cheapest drive I considered. The 840 (non-pro) uses TLC NAND memory which is not as long lasting as MLC. Even though it probably wouldn't be an issue, I decided to stay away from it.
- Crucial M4. This 2-year-old drive originally had numerous firmware problems, but those have been ironed out and the drive now enjoys a healthy reputation. This drive was about the same price as the M500. The advantage would be tried-and-true technology, the disadvantage is that it is now outdated technology.
- Crucial M500. Very new, thus a bit of an unknown. If you read the various in-depth reviews, there are pluses and minuses . Not quite as blazing fast as some of the others. But it boasts some nice enterprise-level features not found on other consumer drives (RAIN parity protection and sudden power-loss handling). The AnandTech review points out, "The 840 Pro comparison is interesting because Samsung manages better average performance, but has considerably worse consistency compared to the M500.". So nothing is quite black and white.

I ended up choosing the M500 because a) Crucial (Micron) has a good reputation for overall reliability, b) the drive has some interesting features and attributes that make it stand out, c) it uses traditional MLC NAND and d) the price point is quite good. A very important consideration for me is reliability and this is where I had the most difficulty in deciding among the drives. Both Samsung and Crucial have very good reputations for reliability (again, Crucial had some firmware problems early on with the M4, but those were fixed). Yet both companies have less than perfect records. Devices fail for one reason or another. I just hope I have a good experience (and I will update my review if I ever run into any problems).

The M500 was VERY easy to install. Here is the process I used:

1) I used a "Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure" to connect the M500 to my laptop directly out of the box. For this purpose, I just used the connector, however the full enclosure can be used later on to turn the old hard drive into a portable USB drive for backup, etc.
2) Next, I opened Disk Utility on the MacBook and connected the drive via USB. It said the drive is unrecognized and needed to be initialized. After it was initialized, I selected the drive and created a single partition, setup as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
3) I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my current drive image to the M500. This took several hours to complete. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) can be downloaded from bombich.com. Following the drive swap, the old hard drive can be used to store ongoing CCC backups (always backup your data!).
4) The scary part (though it was surprisingly easy) was to open the MacBook and swap the drives out. I used the "TEKTON 2830 Everybit Tool Kit for Electronics, Phones and Precision Devices, 27-Piece" to get the proper bits. And I used the appropriate guide from ifixit.com.
5) When I started up the first time with the new drive installed, I opened System Preferences and set the Startup Disk to the new M500 drive (if you don't do this, startup may not be as fast). Also, I used Chameleon SSD Optimizer to enable TRIM support on OS X.

Super fast, feels like having a new machine. Much quieter. No worries anymore about bumping the table and wiping out my fragile hard drive.

-------------------------
ADDENDUM - 27 September 2013: I continue to really love my Crucial M500 drive. No problems whatsoever. I am writing to say that Crucial has released a firmware update for this drive on 24 September 2013 (going from MU02 to MU03). While it is listed as an optional update, I have applied it and would recommend that others do so, especially based on the list of issues it addresses.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you buy your drive after 24 September, look on the back of the drive (and maybe the box) and it will list the firmware it was shipped with. The original shipping firmware is MU02. On a Mac, you can also discover the firmware version by running the System Information utility. Click on the Apple icon, select About This Mac > More Info... > System Report... > SATA/SATA Express. Look for the Crucial disk (it will be named something similar to this: Crucial_CT480M500SSD1), look for Revision: and that is the firmware version. I'm sure there is a similar way to do this on Windows, but I don't have any details.

For Windows users, Crucial supplies simple updater apps. For Mac users, they make it a bit more complicated, but I had no problems whatsoever. You download the firmware as an ISO file and then burn this to a blank CD-ROM / DVD using Disk Utility. Reboot your computer, hold down the "C" key down just after you hear the startup beep and it will boot into DOS (yay for ancient operating systems!). For some reason, the first time I tried it, nothing happened (the CD-ROM spun up but it never finished booting). So I held the power button until the system shut off and tried again and it booted right into DOS. Follow the detailed instructions that Crucial provides (basically typing "yes" at a prompt and confirming that it successfully updates to MU03).

You can find the download and installation instructions at [...]

Version MU03 includes the following changes:

- SMART fix to ensure zero at all attributes upon shipment
- SMART counter improvements for better customer data
- Fix for potential Haswell compatibility issue (latest Intel platform)
- Provide system builders with the ability to disable the temperature throttling function (please see updated data sheet)
- Resolved potential problem causing long reboot times on some Apple MacBook systems
- Improved compatibility with latest encryption management software
- Changed polarity of DAS (drive activity signal)
- Improvements in efficiency of background operations for improved lifetime and performance
- Fixed bug in SMART readlog operation (does not affect SMART data)

With the latest firmware, an already great drive is now even better.

-------------------------
And another ADDENDUM - 13 June 2014: I still love my Crucial M500 drive. No problems whatsoever. I've updated to the MU05 firmware (using the same method I outlined above for the MU03 update). One thing to consider when shopping for a drive is the newer Crucial MX100 series of SSD. It uses a different NAND and is priced about the same as the M500 series (which continues to be sold). There is also the Crucial M550 series, which offers better performance if your computer can take advantage of it. So many choices! While the M500 is still a great choice, if I was in the market for a new SSD, I would seriously consider the M100 series.

5.0 out of 5 stars 960GB is BEST combination of Capacity, Speed, Security and Price for TB-class SSD! - Updated: OPAL SUPER HIGH SECURITY works!, June 19, 2013
This review is for the 960GB version of the M500. This drive represents a great combination of capacity, speed and cost, by far the best combination if you need the 1TB size as I do.

I've owned many SSDs over recent years, using them both as primary drives in laptops and desktops, as well as a few for archive storage. Most have been 512GB in size, as my laptop usage involves LOTS of video and other large file size work. For several years I've felt the pinch of the 512GB limit in SSD drive size. Yes, you could spend a couple grand or more on some specialty drives that were TB class, but I could not justify the cost. So, I've been hungry for a drive just like the Crucial M500, and was very excited to see it come to market. Pro's and Con's below.

Pro's
+Only "affordable" TB class SSD. Outstanding value given size and speed!
+Fast in the absolute, and faster than expected for size (see benchmarks, below).
+7mm thickness means fits in many more current laptops
+General reputation for reliability from Crucial and the Micron/Intel joint venture that produces the NAND chips used as storage in Crucial drives.
+960 GB configuration is an optimum size for the Marvel controller, meaning this size drive (and perhaps the 480GB) will provide the highest speeds within the M500 series of drives. Smaller drives will drop off a bit in speed due to lower degree of parallel processing for the combination of controller channels and number of NAND chips used.
+Encryption and ATA Password security features work well. Many other security features for other scenarios (e.g., works with Windows 8 and BitLocker to enable fast hardware based encryption, though I did not test the latter).

Con's
-Lower write cycle life for 20nm NAND chips. This generation of SSD NAND chips is from 20nm fab process, meaning *rated* write cycles are down vs. older, lower resolution fab processes (rating from Crucial is 72 total TB written, which they translate to 40GB/day for 5 years, or more importantly as an absolute measure, 75 write cycles per NAND byte). Practically, this may mean nothing to a specific user, who will outgrow the drive before exceeding the write life of the memory, but worth noting if you have some application that is going to write many 100's of GB/day to the drive.
-No easy software to secure erase/factory reset drive like Samsung provides. Important if you ever 1) want to sell the drive or 2) need to reset an encrypted drive for other use.

Benchmark in my HP Elitebook 2760p (QM67 chipset, 6 GB/s SATA3 connection to HD)

Crucial M500 960GB SSD

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 19.397 MB/s [ 4735.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 49.204 MB/s [ 12012.7 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 250.442 MB/s [ 61143.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 254.621 MB/s [ 62163.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 47.1% (421.3/894.0 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/06/19 14:35:06
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For comparison, here are the results for the excellent Samsung 830 512GB SSD that was replaced by the M500

Samsung 830 512GB SSD

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 16.308 MB/s [ 3981.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 36.488 MB/s [ 8908.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 288.206 MB/s [ 70362.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 142.322 MB/s [ 34746.6 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 83.8% (395.3/471.6 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2012/04/16 9:28:01

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Net, HIGHLY recommended for everyday use!

****************** September 5, 2013 update - Implementing HIGHEST Level of Data Security - M500 is OPAL compliant, and WinMagic SecureDoc Works well with M500! ****************

I recently installed WinMagic's SecureDoc Stand-Alone edition to implement a higher level of data security on this drive, and it works great!

Details...

What it is:
WinMagic's SecureDoc is software that works with the OPAL security features of the Crucial M500 as a Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) to provide very fast and secure full disk encryption (FDE).

Why you might want it:
When you combine SecureDoc SED management software with M500 hardware encryption, every bit of data on your drive is encrypted, and the security is VERY hard to break. Further, there is zero performance penalty (see DiskMark data below). I had been using an ATA password (as described in my earlier update, below), but discovered that this had been defeated on some drives with relative ease, and that there was even inexpensive software available(A-FF) to help disable an ATA password without knowing the password AND without wiping the data! While I was NOT able to confirm that the M500's ATA password could be defeated with these tools/hacks, I decided that it was time for a more state of the art approach. Research led me to 1) the Trusted Computing Group standards body 2) the OPAL standard for self-encrypting drives, which the M500 meets! 3) the way SED management software works to enable OPAL and very robust security 4) the theory behind why this was much more secure than ATA passwords, meeting many government security requirements and finally, 5) finding software that an INDIVIDUAL could buy to implement Opal (many of the software tools for Opal are enterprise level and not even available to individuals). It came down to Microsoft's BitLocker, and WinMagic's SecureDoc. A point of confusion with all of the SED management software I researched is that they provide their own SOFTWARE based encryption option (which I did NOT want, too slow, less secure), but will also work with the HARDWARE encryption of SED drives and BYPASS their own SOFTWARE encryption, a much more recent development that has big benefits in speed, security, and reliability). In the end, I liked the simplicity and flexibility of SecureDoc most, they had a stand alone version for individual use, and the price was reasonable at about 100 bucks, so that is the way I went.

Setup:
Bought, downloaded and installed SecureDoc Stand-alone edition for Windows, followed the wizards to set up encryption keys, password, and to create rescue media in case of any future problems. Took under 10 minutes, and, most importantly to me, uses the HARDWARE encryption built into the M500 so that there is NO performance hit, and NO lengthy first encryption as when you use SOFTWARE based encryption (e.g., BitLocker's software based encryption, or TrueCrypt). Note that I had to remove Acronis disk imaging software and turn ATA password security off on the drive in order for SecureDoc to work, but this was easily worth it to me for the greatly enhanced data security provided the SecureDoc/M500 combination.

How it works:
SecureDoc creates a pre-boot environment (pre-Windows 7 - 64bit in my case) that appears each time you boot your computer and BEFORE the operating system loads. Here is where you enter the SecureDoc password you created (the Access Key or AK password in OPAL terms). When you do, SecureDoc works with the M500 to enable the encrypted data on the M500 to be read. If you do NOT enter your AK password in the pre-boot environment, NO data can be read from the drive nor will your computer boot. Anyone who gets hold of your drive can attempt to defeat your SecureDoc AK password (so, if you take this approach, set a strong and memorable password), though SecureDoc lets you set how many attempts are allowed before the drive is blocked (default is 15 attempts, then you'd need to use your rescue media to unblock the drive). No data can be read from the drive without passing this initial step, nor can they retrieve either your AK password or the actual Drive Encryption Keys, which are never stored as clear text. Google Opal and the Trusted Computing Group for more, in some cases very nerdy, info :-).

Performance impact:
In theory, NONE! Because our beautiful M500 drives have AES256 bit encryption running on every byte of data all the time anyway! However, to put this to the test, I re-ran Crystal DiskMark on my M500 after installing SecureDoc. See results below, for comparison with values I posted in my original review. You'll see that read times are not really affected, sequential writes are down a bit, but random 4k reads and writes actually increased! Remember that Crystal DiskMark runs inside Windows, so the drive is not isolated from other use while the benchmark is running, hence you always get some variability in results from run to run. In normal use, I notice NO impact from SecureDoc.

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 20.093 MB/s [ 4905.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 43.262 MB/s [ 10562.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 337.454 MB/s [ 82386.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 288.963 MB/s [ 70547.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 72.0% (643.3/894.0 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/09/05 1:15:24
OS : Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

Net, if you want the HIGHEST level of data security to protect a lost or stolen drive/laptop, the M500, combined with SED management software like SecureDoc, is highly recommended! For a lower level of protection, but at no cost, you can use the ATA password approach outlined in the June update, below.

****************** June 22, 2013 update - ATA Security/Self-Encryption features work well ****************

Using the M500 Hardware Encryption feature via an ATA Password (aka, Hard Drive or Drive Lock)

Just enabled an ATA hard drive password to take advantage of the Self Encrypting Drive and AES256 Hardware Encryption security features of the M500 to provide additional data protection should the laptop be lost or stolen. Worked flawlessly on my laptop, the HP2760p with latest BIOS. Now my data is considerably safer.

The M500 encrypts and decrypts all data all the time, however, *unless you set a password on the drive* or use BitLocker or similar software, the data on the drive can still be read by anyone, because the drive uses encryption keys that decode the drive *automatically* UNLESS the keys are reset and encrypted using security software or the drives' security features. I chose the ATA Password approach to require a hard drive password each time I boot my laptop (ATA passwords are on the drive electronics, and the prompt comes up before you enter the operating system, i.e., during BIOS initiation). If the ATA password is not entered, no boot, and no one can read the data off the drive in your machine, or on another computer, without specialized hardware/software.

ATA Passwords are enabled and the values set in a computer's BIOS. For my HP 2760p, I simply entered the BIOS, turned on the "Drive Lock" feature, which is HP's name for ATA Passwords, set the master and user passwords for the drive to something strong, and rebooted. Instant additional protection. Setting the ATA password reset the encryption keys on the drive to new values, and the encryption keys are now only decrypted and accessible to read the drive if the ATA password is input at boot time. Also, there is NO impact on drive read/write speed with this approach for the obvious reason that all data on the M500 passes through the encryption/decryption hardware all the time anyway!

Should you desire to use this feature, suggest careful research to ensure that your computer and BIOS fully support the ATA password standards. Further, if you lose or forget your passwords, no drive access until a secure drive reset is done, which wipes your data, so take robust steps to never lose your hard drive password. The ATA password field is full of opinions about how well this actually protects your data. The info I found indicated that ATA security features of the M500 and my lappy are pretty strong, so seems likely that this is a meaningful additional layer of protection. I don't expect any data protection scheme to be 100% foolproof, and I did eventually find both hacks and software that claimed to defeat ATA passwords without wiping data on the drive, but I'm comfortable that this helps, and am glad the M500 has a robust set of security features that I can use with such ease and no incremental cost.

****************** August 7, 2013 update - Cloning software/info ****************

Thought a little drive cloning detail may be helpful. I was cloning an Win7 drive and used Acronis TrueImage 2013. I also use Acronis to do hard drive image backups on a regular schedule, so already owned it.

Acronis is very full featured, but can be fussy. For this drive cloning, I created an image of my hard drive on a larger external drive, then restored the image to the new Crucial M500 on a desktop machine by connecting both the drive with the image and the M500 to the desktop machine. Once restoration was complete, I just put the drive back in my lappy and fired it up, worked great. I find restoring an image to a new drive using a different computer works more reliably of late than cloning in place (on the same machine) with Acronis (tsk tsk, Acronis), but the process I used is fine for me. Back in the day I used to use Norton Ghost, but it's been many years. I really like cloning software I can kick off in Windows.

I can also highly recommend the IcyDock Ext 2.5" Single Bay Sata/usb or it's USB3 sibling as cases to hold the M500 during the cloning process, they are very well built and, via eSATA or USB3, very fast ways to clone your drive. Personally, since I own cloning software and good 2.5" drive enclosures, I'm glad the drive case and cloning software were not bundled with the M500, so I did not have to pay for unneeded items.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Life for Old MacBook Pro 17", August 21, 2013
Previously I had "upgraded" my MacBook Pro by adding a Wintec FileMate 96GB SSD Express card. This had allowed me to put all system files and most applications in solid state storage resulting in a big boost in performance. Over time system bloat and data caused the internal 750GB disc and the 96GB SSD to reach maximum capacity and I found I was spending more time watching the spinning beach ball as the CPU tried to juggle data and processes between the limited free space. The M500 represented a significant drop in price for terabyte class SSD storage. I was torn between retiring my early 2009 MacBook Pro and getting this drive. As a 17" Apple laptop is no longer available, I decided to go with the SSD drive. The performance gain, even over the express card SSD is amazing. Startup of the OS is greatly reduced, apps feel as if they open near instantaneously. Apps that are collapsed, fly open from the dock.

There are additional benefits, the laptop runs and feels cooler, undoubtedly because I am no longer using the express card, and a disc-based drive, but there is likely an additional gain due to the greater air space around the 7mm drive. I did not need to use the included spacer as the standard mounts immobilize the drive, this resulted in significant (by laptop standards) gains in clearance above and below the drive. The fans have not gone into an audible mode since I installed the drive, including the four hours of continuous writing to the SSD while I transferred 400GB of music and photos. Consequently battery life has seen a boost and the laptop is as silent as any 2013 MacBook Air.

In short, if you have a 17" MacBook Pro and are torn about upgrading because Apple no longer offers a 17", you can gain the performance feel of a 2013 MacBook Pro and 200GB more SSD storage than Apple currently offers in its top-of-line Retina display MacBook Pro for less than 1/4 of the price. I thought by installing this drive I might gain another six months of life on my 17" while I saved for an upgrade, but the performance gains are so great I am likely to hold off upgrading for another twelve to twenty-four months. A testament to the M500 as well as the structural integrity of Apple's unibody construction and the quality of components found in the 2009 17" MacBook Pros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly the same performance as 840 PRO - much better price, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD CT240M500SSD1 (Personal Computers)
I'll see if I can post a screen shot, but I did a crystal diskmark test on two of these against my existing 840 Pro (samsung) and my Western Digital 2TB Green drive to give you an idea of the performance this offers.

At this price point, SSDs are really becoming affordable and I've found them to be very reliable.

Anyhow, what you get here is performance that is close to the 840 Pro (so close that in the real world - probably wouldn't ever matter) but for a lower price. It's not as sexy looking as the 840, but odds are good you'll never see it anyway.

The two I got were pretty much within 1% of each other in terms of performance which means there's a lot of consistency in their manufacturing. That's a good thing in my eyes.

When you get yours installed though, especially in a multiple drive desktop, make sure you do a quick benchmark to be sure you're getting the performance you paid for. Not because of the drive, but because of drivers and motherboard quirks. My motherboard SAID it supported 6x6gbit connections. However, I found that only 4 of the 6 SATA ports on my board support full blown SATAIII performance. I just had to move some things around but you should definitely check that if you have trouble.

The symptom to really look for in Windows is the drive being detected as an ATA device instead of a SATA device. If you see that, then your motherboard or card doesn't support or isn't supporting on the port you plugged into, the full sata III bandwidth.

Great drive!

1.0 out of 5 stars I updated from a Kingston 120 GB SSD for more ..., July 3, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars with mid 2010 macbook pro, July 6, 2013
Very happy with the performance upgrade. Immediate increase in speed, easy install. I'm very happy with the purchase. Cheaper than some others out there, but does a great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, October 17, 2013
I will not attempt to go into the technical aspects of updating to an SSD drive. If you are here reading this.. You already have more than a passing interest in getting the most out of your system. There are many great technical reviews here. I would strongly suggest reading them. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge, collective wisdom and experience in these reviews.
That being said... I would make only one more suggestion.. Read, AFTER you order the Crucial M500 in any configuration!!

I upgraded a mid 2010 2.8 15" MacBook Pro to the M500 960! WOW!! Worried about installation ... Twenty minutes, Tops. Did a clean installation, Worth the time IMHO. This will take some time, depending on your programs and data. I partitioned my hard drive with 10.6.8 and 10.8.5 The first thing you will notice is Boot time. How does 10 seconds sound! This is like getting a brand new MacBook Air! You will absolutely be astounded as to why it took you so long to this upgrade. The best money that I have ever spent, in decades of computing.

This is a NO BRAINER! Best of luck & I hope this will be of help, to some of you.

PS. I really would like to thank all of the highly technical reviewers. Great job, a multitude of great information and great insights. It really helps to hear what others have to say and share their experiences. Had I not read the reviews... I may have actually installed the Hybrid that was recommended. It would have been like .. driving a Yugo!
Just one more observation. There is a reason this drive has all 4 and mostly 5 star reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Capacitors = extra assurance, September 12, 2013
There's nothing I can really say that hasn't been said by other reviewers, but I feel Crucial really needs to promote more heavily the fact the m500 has ceramic capacitors (ceramic caps).

The m500 isn't the fastest SSD on the block, but for me it has one big feature going for it. It has ceramic caps, a similar feature that's common in enterprise-class drives with super capacitors. In layman's terms, a ceramic capacitor is essentially a rechargeable battery with a very small current capacity. What's useful about those? When the power goes out, the SSD will use the charge from the ceramic caps to finish what it was doing and power off. It doesn't happen very often, but a SSD can have issues (can even brick) if the power goes out while it's in the middle of doing something critical. I know of a few people whose SSDs have died in this manner after an unexpected power outage.

My area has semi-frequent power outages and prolonged brownouts. While I do have a 1500VA/865-watt UPS (APC BR1500G), if I happen to be playing a fairly taxing game with multiple overclocked video cards, the UPS sometimes can't handle the power draw and shuts down. I've had a few unexpected shutdowns since I bought the m500 and the drive is still alive and well.

Noteworthy: Having ceramic caps doesn't guarantee there won't be any issues (as some events require more power to finish than the caps can provide), but it greatly reduces the chances of an error occurring due to an unexpected power loss.

I could had easily gotten faster drives, but I valued that extra reliability assurance.

Oct. 15, 2013 - Turns out the m500 doesn't have super capacitors, but ceramic capacitors. The ceramic capacitors basically serve the same function at probably a lower current capacity, so I simply replaced any instances of "super caps" with "ceramic caps".

5.0 out of 5 stars Word of caution for Mid 2010 IMac users... Otherwise outstanding!, December 9, 2013
If you've even considered this upgrade then do it, you will never regret the speed. Loads everything super fast, it feels like a new computer and I never knew the system could be this quick. If you think adding RAM makes a difference, this is 10x the mod. It is like NOS for your computer... completely silent too.

Big things to think about though. You will need some extra hardware.

You will need a 2.5in drive reader if you plan on copying your existing internal HD using a program like Super Duper, both of which add to the cost.

If you are lucky enough to have a mid 2010 IMac and possible other systems you will need to control the internal fan somehow. Apple put a cable on your standard 3.5 drive that reads temp... well your new SSD and many other HD's don't have this "feature". So basically you are left with a disconnected cable and a computer that thinks the fan should be on full speed. I ended up having to buy a program call 'hdfancontrol' which fixes this issue. It cost money but it uses the existing temp sensors and allows you to control the fan as you please.

Total this adds about 75.00 to the whole experience and should be noted. The performance is well worth it though, I will never go back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved my Crucial m4 drives but the new drives seem ..., August 9, 2014
Died after 4 months of light use. Crucial Tech support is only open M-F, daytime hours. Loved my Crucial m4 drives but the new drives seem to be made more cheaply and Crucial is just banking on the reputation of the m4's to continue to sell drives. I own 8 other SSD's - Intel, Plextor, and Crucial and this is the only one that's choked thus far. Time to switch to Samsung 840/850 Pro's.

Crucial M500 240GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD CT240M500SSD1