on June 1, 2011
Size Name: 512 GBVerified Purchase
Purchased this drive for a 2009, 2.53 core 2 duo, 8gb Macbook pro. Took 15 minutes to install the drive, after cloning my mechanical drive using the disk utility, using an external drive enclosure (so easy).

Applications launch from the dock so fast they don't bounce. If you are looking for speed and space, this SSD is perfect for Macbooks. Also, battery life has increased by almost 2 hours for me, your mileage may vary. The macbook also runs a lot cooler, and the fan almost never comes on. Sleep and wake almost instantaneously. The Mac boots up in around 20 seconds and its ready to use.

The drive is definitely not cheap (freaking expensive), but if you need the speed you wont regret it.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2011
Size Name: 256GBVerified Purchase
I bought 2 of these drives to use in a HyperV 1U server for virtualization in a lab.
The previous 1TB drives were more than I needed in capacity & were too slow.
Several items: you'll need a tray of some sort if you wish to use this drive in a server as it's a notebook form factor. Several are available such as SILVERSTONE SDP08 or similar.
It's thin, runs cool and crazy - fast.
Windows 7 virtual machines boot in 15-20 seconds now instead of 2 minutes. I've been testing the system for a month and have noted no negatives. These VMs are in heavy use.
I've used SSDs for hypervisors, netbooks and notebooks and these are the fastest yet.
SSDs have had issues with too many read/write operations over specific physical memory locations burning out the circuits, supposedly that has been fixed. Only time will tell if the issues are fixed in these latest generations. A virtual machine almost guarantees operations will be performed in the same logical / physical address, so this is a worst-case test. So far, so good. No errors, and the boot times are phenomenally fast.
In my opinion the 256GB drives are the best combination of price - performance and highly recommended.
on June 20, 2012
Size Name: 128GBVerified Purchase
If you have an older Macbook such as mine, this upgrade will work wonders. The response time of my computer has been dramatically increased.

In order to make a painless replacement I would recommend the following:

1. Get a SATA enclosure such as this one:
Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure
2. Install your new SSD in the enclosure and connect via USB to your Mac.
3. Format your SSD using Disk Utility. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. You can even choose to partition your SSD, wich I would recommend only if you have 512GB or more.
4. Perform a startup disc cloning from existing HDD to your new SSD. I used the following free software: Getbackup 2, which worked flawlessly.
5. Now you should have all your HDD info stored in your new SSD. You can test it shutting down your computer and pressing the "alt option" key upon startup. This will prompt you to choose your startup disc. Choose your new SSD, if your computer boots you are ready to go ahead and switch drives.
6. Switch drives. Below is a pretty straightforward guide from ifixit:
[...]
7. Use the enclosure to house your old HDD.

You are now ready to go and enjoy a nice performance boost on your Macbook!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
Size Name: 128GBVerified Purchase
I'm editing my original review, and upping the rating from 4 stars to 5 stars. The problems I originally described were fixed by replacing the SATA cable.

Great product.
on July 24, 2012
Product:
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s (CT256M4SSD2)

About Me:
I am a computer programmer with a strong background in Information Technology. My friends, family and co-workers would consider me an experienced computer user. I have built several systems from scratch, replaced nearly any internal part of a computer and installed/configured operating systems hundreds of times. With all of that being said, this is my first experience with a solid state drive.

My Experience:
The same day I ordered my new Dell XPS 17 3D Laptop, I ordered this drive (I didn't feel the need to pay Dell twice the money for the same sized SSD). Both items arrived at the same time. I immediately removed the factory hard drive and installed the Crucial M4. I used my Windows 7 Ultimate OEM DVD and installed a clean copy of Windows. Once Windows was loaded, I read some articles online and made sure that all of the BIOS and Windows settings were properly configured for a SSD (Windows configured everything for this automatically). I was able to load Windows 7, my drivers, Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008, Microsoft Office, Eclipse, JAVA, and all of the updates related to all of these products in well under 3 hours. This was a record setting pace and I was really enjoying this new upgrade. When I went to work the following Monday, everything was great.

Exactly 34 days into the drive, I received the BSOD. I thought it was odd, but figured it was Windows and I didn't think much of it. Upon the re-boot, the computer went into "Startup Repair" mode. After 20 minutes the computer re-booted and began doing a CHKSDK. Amazingly there were 5 or 6 disk errors. CHKDSK fixed all of the problems and I was able to resume working on my new computer. Upon reading about SSD technology, I found that this seemed to be a rare occurrence. SSD's should last for 7-10 years! I cautiously went about my business when I got another BSOD 3 days later. This time the CHKSDK found hundreds of errors, and the computer wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes without a BSOD. I logged into Amazon and was instructed to call Crucial since it had been more than 30 days. After a 10 minute call with Crucial, I was sent a different drive. Understandably, they will not send you a replacement first without a full deposit. I gave them my credit card and paid for overnight shipping since it was late in the week and I needed to be back and running soon (They wouldn't even pay for standard shipping).

Upon receiving the second drive I noticed that it was a refurbished drive!!! Not only did I get stuck with the shipping, but the drive is now refurbished?!? I began the process of getting my computer back up. Unfortunately, I was extremely busy in the prior month and didn't create a system image!!! I had to re-install everything, but that was my own fault. Immediately after installing all of my programs and files I used the Windows 7 backup utility to create a system image. I then continued working as I normally did. After another 46 days with my second drive I received another BSOD. This time I immediately called Crucial. While on the phone with Crucial, I decided to remove the hard drive and attach it to an external cable to try and recover data via USB to another computer. Shortly after trying this I began to receive error messages that pointed to a bad disk. The support technician seemed baffled and stated she had never heard of 2 hard drives failing. She determined, somehow, that since it was two drives it must have been my computer. I was told to contact Dell before Crucial would move any further. Dell ran some hardware tests with some of their built in utilities and determined that the drive was bad. While waiting for all of the tests to finish, I got onto Amazon and inspected the reviews of this product more closely. It appeared that I was not the first person to experience this. In fact, the reviews for this product were all very good or very bad. Nearly all of the bad reviews had experienced the exact issues I was having. I called Crucial out on this telling them that I wasn't the first person to experience this and that it appears to happen frequently. They didn't deny or confirm this. Instead they offered me another re-furbished drive. I refused to accept this and then was offered store credit for the current market price, which was $50.00 less than when I bought it for. On top of that they wanted me to pay the shipping, again. What a scam this is.

After some more research I opted to try out the SanDisk Extreme. I'll be reviewing it after I've had a chance to see it in action. Stay away from this drive!!! I have also noticed that there have been an explosion of positive reviews since my last talk with Crucial in which I mentioned what the negative Amazon reviews said. This seems a little shady to me. I don't think Crucial is ready to make hard drives, and I hope the quality of their RAM remains good.

Pros:
Great paper weight
You get to practice shipping things
Would be good for schools to use in a "Disk Error" lab

Cons:
Doesn't work reliably
Additional shipping fees
Support team is unknowledgeable
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2012
Intro:
Decided to upgrade my SSD because of the amount of traveling/moving I did with my laptop. (The regular hard drive that it came with died on me within months - from the jostling).

I purchased the Crucial M4 on August of 2011, so this review is after 9 months of solid use.

Specifications:
# Sony Vaio SB190X (Purchased April 2011)
# Specs
CPU: Intel® Core(tm) i7-2620M processor (2.70GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz
ONBOARD MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
EXPANDED MEMORY: SAMSUNG 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model MV-3T4G4/US
HARDDRIVE: CRUCIAL M4-CT256M4SSD2 256 MB Solid State Drive
GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon(tm) HD 6630M (1GB VRAM) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
MOTHERBOARD: Intel Series 6 Chipset with HM67 LPC Interface Controller
ANTIVIRUS: NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2012

Configuration:
SSD is running at SATA 2 speed (limited by the laptop) on Raid 0 Configuration.

Discussion:
The SSD is very fast. My laptop boots in less than 10 seconds.

However, I've had problems with random freezes since I first purchased this hard drive.

Initially, I had trouble installing Windows 7. The first time I tried to install Windows (via Sony restore cd), it gave me a BOD. I tried it a second time, and I was able to fully install Windows and get it to load once to the main screen before I got another BOD. As you can see, I was having major stability issues, and after a couple of months I was able to get it relatively stable (updated windows 7 drivers, sony vaio sb drivers, etc).

So, now my only problem is the random freezes (requiring a hard reset) that occur on a a near daily basis. The event logs show issues with the file management system (based this on the last events that occurred before system watchdog was triggered and critical error showed up).

I've upgraded the latest firmware for the SSD from 0001 to 000F). I've also updated to Intel RST drivers to 11.1 which enables TRIM support. That helped reduce the amount of random freezes, but they still exist.

I've also done all those "maximize" your SSD (remove pagefile etc etc)

Conclusion:
I've decided to turn to another SSD, and am hoping that this same problem does NOT occur. If it does, I will change this review accordingly and mark it down as a laptop/ SONY VAIO issue (I really wouldn't be suprised).

Comments:
If you get this, please be aware, that you might experience the similar problems as I have/did. If you check the Crucial forums, there are a number of people who are also having issues with random freezes, stability, inability to install their OS, etc.

The Crucial Tech Team as well as a number of enthusiasts frequent the forum and are generally helpful, so they will/should be able to answer any questions you have.

Good luck and please do a thorough job looking around for a SSD that fits the build of your computer. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it helped.

====== update ======

Discussion:
So, it looks like it could have been a laptop hardware issue. Regardless, Crucial support was very helpful. When I called crucial support they were courteous and were willing to RMA the hard drive. They suggested I try power cycling first. I tried power cycling, but the freezing issue still persists.

However, I did some research and I realized that I have the Intel Series 6 Chipset with Intel HM67 LPC Interface Controller Chipset. Intel has since recalled the rev09 B2 Step of these chipsets.

Google for reference.

CPUID-Z shows that i have the rev 09 B2 step of this chipset.
AIDA64 program shows I have the rev05 B03 step of this chipset.

Regardless, according to Intel RST, my BD-ROM drive is set at SATA PORT 04 (According to the article, SATA PORTS 2-5 were affected . I went into BIOS and disabled my BD-ROM drive (side note: I've just started having problems with this- can read cd/dvds but I cannot write on them anymore).

Results:
It has only been a day, but I have not had any freezes since. (will edit this when/if I do)

Conclusion:
This could be a problem with the chipset or it could just be a faulty sata port on the motherboard. I will keep the bd-rom drive on disabled mode for a week or 2 and see if I continue to have these problems.

Comments:
Again, I'm hoping this helps other people trouble-step any issues they are having with their SSDs.

I've revised my rating to a neutral 3 stars because it could/might not be the SSD after all. Crucial support throughout this process was amazing. When the SSD worked, it was very fast (laptop boots in under 10 seconds). Thanks Crucial and anyone else who'll provide some further comments on this matter.

====== update ======

Discussion:
Definitely a laptop issue.

Blah Blah:
Took the laptop to the Sony center, and it's been under repair for the past month and half. Local store came up with a CPU failure on their diagnostics program. It got shipped to the repair center, they didn't find anything wrong with it. Sent it back. I got it back. It froze the next day after I got it back. Took it back, yadi yada.

Comments:
I put the SSD into another aging laptop and brought it back to life. Was pleased with the correspondence with Crucial staff, forum support, as well as all the current users of the SSDs.

So, I went ahead and ordered another Crucial 128 gig SSD to bring my other laptop (from 2004) back in action.

Thanks for putting up with me Crucial.

Back to Five Stars.

And if you've read the review in its entirety - much kudos to you!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2011
Size Name: 128GB
This was my first SSD purchase. I wanted to wait for the prices to come down enough and I decided it was time to throw it into my build. I couldn't be happier that I did. Windows Experience Index gives it a 7.9/7.9! What else could I want? Windows boots up in around 12 seconds! Thing just screams! This was the only item from my build I didn't get on Amazon, but it's just a fantastic product. It has a way better track record than most of the OCZ drives and comes in at a great price. I'm glad I went with Crucial!

Build:
SilverStone FT02B-W
Intel i5-2500k 3.3Ghz Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mHz
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB (x3 in RAID 5)
EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked (01G-P3-1373-AR)
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Corsair HX750
Corsair Hydro H70
LiteOn DVD-RW
ASUS Blu-ray Burner (BW-12B1LT)
on September 26, 2011
Size Name: 128GBVerified Purchase
First off, I'm not a tech-savvy kind of guy. Just a normal person who is capable of following instructions, but don't really know why it works. This is my first SSD and first hard drive installment. I used this SSD as a boot drive for my Desktop PC.

There are lots of review of the product already, so I want to go through my experience installing the Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD.

Increased Performance:
Very noticeable difference. I always shut down my computer after every use. My PC used to take a over 2 minutes to boot. Then after booting, I will have to wait another few minutes for everything to "start up". So, my routine would be turn on the PC, and walk away and eventually comes back to use the PC. With the new Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD, my PC now boots in less than 30 seconds, and I can use it immediately. The SSD eliminated the annoying "start up". This is exactly why I wanted a SSD boot drive.

Additional Hardware Required (PC):
The package did not come with a Bay Converter, so you will need to buy one of those. I recommend the SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter. To install SSD, just plug in the hard drive plug and the power. You will also need to buy a transfer kit if you want to move stuff over from the previous hard drive. I recommend a fresh install of Windows 7, so you can enable TRIM which will keep the SSD running blazing fast. To enable TRIM is very easy, you can Google the instructions on how to do it.

Data Transfer:
If you had an existing hard drive like I did, make sure to unplug that first. Install a fresh OS on to the SSD, and then plug the old hard drive back in. You do not need back up the data of the old hard drive. The previous C: drive will now be E:. If you have more than 1 partition the rest will be F:, G:, and so on. I recommend formatting your old C: drive and use it as a storage drive after you get everything set up.

Oddity:
After the SSD was installed, I got a prompt to run it using AHCI or IDE before the Windows load screen... I didn't know what they were, so I chose AHCI and it crashed constantly. After switching to IDE in the Bios, it was working like a champ.

Important Update:
Make sure you go to Crucial official website and download the latest firmware. Just Google "Crucial SSD firmware" and it's the first link. I had a blue screen of death once before installing the firmware, so I'm not sure if that's related. However, after I install the firmware to version 009, I haven't had any issues since then.

Boot Disk - How to:
This gave me a bit of trouble, so I want to save someone some time. To make a boot disk for the firmware update, you need to have an ISO burner. I didn't know this, and was burning the ISO file straight to the CD and it failed to boot every time. Eventually, I stumbled upon a recommended free program called "Free ISO burner", use that to burn the ISO file to a CD. I spent over 3 hours trying to figure out why I couldn't install the firmware :(

Worth:
Is the price of the SSD worth it? You're probably reading the reviews trying to figure out if it's a good buy. I bought it for $179.00 through Amazon Prime. As of right now, I would say that SSD is a luxury item. The price is dropping constantly... so I would say, save your money and wait until early 2012 to make your purchase. Now, if you had an extra $180 around and wanted the speed, then yes this product sure does deliver!

Final Thoughts:
The Crucial 128 GB m4 is a solid product. Read the reviews and choose carefully. Don't go for the fastest drive, go with the most reliable drive... because in the real world applications speed is relative. Reliability is a must!

Again, it's a luxury item and I'm happy to pay for it. For me it was worth every penny. If you have money to spare, the Crucial 128 GB m4 is highly recommended!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 19, 2012
Size Name: 256GB
We have these in our laptops at work, and while the speed is nice, they have been failing an an unacceptable rate. I'm not sure why ours are dying when everyone else seems to be having such good luck with them--maybe because we beat on them with maven builds and other things? Not sure. On my two-person team, the other guy's died after a few months. Mine died the next day (two months old). Now, two months later, the replacement is dying as well (daily blue screen of death). Crucial is supposedly working on a firmware update that will help. If you buy one, keep an eye out for firmware updates and be sure to apply them when available.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 64GBVerified Purchase
The Crucial M4 SSDs encounter a critical error that renders drives unstable after 5184 hours of use. Lockups, BSOD's and unrecognizable in BIOS are common. 5184, or approximately 7 months of total use. A BIOS update may fix this - but first you have to get the SSD powered up so your BIOS can find it! I've been through almost 75 cold boots with no luck. So AVOID the M4's unless the have the absolute newest firmware!!! Even after updating the firmware I still had the problems. Removing the SSD and replacing it with a different make and model fixed all the problems. This one was sent back. Newer models supposedly do not have this issue.

Unfortunately users were NEVER informed of this severe bug. I found out AFTER this paperweight basically bricked my computer. It BSOD'd while I was writing large files to several of my HDD's. I had to spend over a week recovering files because it trashed the drives - BSOD in the middle of writes. If there were a class action suit, I'd gladly join in. I'm STILL recovering 500,000 files from one drive. I had to spend almost two solid weeks fixing the mess this SSD caused.

If a manufacturer sells a product, and later find out it has a defect that can trash a customer's equipment, they should notify the customer! I have received recall notices through Amazon in the past, so I know Amazon would notify customers. I registered the drive when I purchased. There is NO EXCUSE for this type of behavior from a manufacturer. It took hours of online research. Amazingly, Crucial initially denied there was a problem. Why would they REFUSE to notify customers BEFORE they crashed? EVERY ONE of these drives with that firmware WILL crash, guaranteed. EVERY M4 drive. I'd love to here an explanation - why were customers never informed? Why not at least try to recover our data? It's still there - once Crucial fixed the firmware, the data would be accessible. But, no. Why go the extra mile to keep customers happy? Why not try and mitigate the damage? They could not care less.(I'd call it criminal negligence, but I'm not a lawyer)

An in-place firmware upgrade works if the SSD has not already crashed. If you have already crashed, the ridiculous method of resetting (unplug, reboot, wait, boot, wait, plug in, boot, wait, try again several times...) MAY allow your BOIS to find the HDD. MAY. Then you have to hope the update takes. Mine did not. It was replaced. All my data was lost, as Crucial REFUSED to recover the data lost due to their lousy design. I am NEVER purchasing a Crucial product again.

The replacement SSD sits on a shelf - no way I will EVER trust another product from Crucial. Would you trust your data to equipment manufactured by a company that initially denies there is a problem, refuses to notify users of this problem, and basically tells you to kiss your files goodbye?! Not to mention allows hardware to be released with this major defect? One that can literally physically damage your other equipment? I would not and will not.

It's akin to purchasing a brand new muscle car. Wow! Fast, powerful - does it all. You love it. But the moment the odometer hits 5184 miles the engine explodes, brakes fail, and you hit a wall. Not so much fun then.

--- original review ---

When I pulled the box product from the Amazon shipping box, I thought it was empty. It's that light!

To install in a desktop you WILL need:

An adapter - I used the SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter - this will hold two SSD's.
Next, you'll need a SATA III cable.
You MAY need a power adapter - something like the Connectland CL-CAB40021 Molex to SATA Power Cable - it's not included.

Takes a couple of minutes to install.

One feature I have not seen mentioned - Windows will use SSD's as a Readyboost drive - for this SSD it would use up to 32 gig! I'll have to order another SSD and try Readyboost on it.

I'm using it for a working drive for panorama stitching and editing gigapixel images. A 400mb TIFF file will preview in about 3 seconds - on my SATA II HDD this takes a minimum of 15 seconds.

Work with a lot of graphics or huge files? You can ass a SATA III drive with cable, card and adapter for about $125!
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations