4.0 out of 5 stars My first SSD cache . . . updated!
Published on March 20, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars A danger to any system
Let me start this review by saying I normally do not review products. However, I feel it is my duty to warn any potential customers that this item will wreck your hard drive. Continue reading for my story.

Published on April 30, 2012 by Nido

4.0 out of 5 stars My first SSD cache . . . updated!, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Crucial Adrenaline 50GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Cache Solution SATA 6.0 Gb-s CT050M4SSC2BDA (Personal Computers)
I became a total SSD fanboy after installing a Crucial m4 256 GB SSD in my laptop, but that upgrade is impractical for my desktop computer. The Crucial Adrenaline 50 GB SSD cache made a great cost-effective compromise. It gave me most of the benefits of a SSD while keeping my original 1.5 TB hard drive. I'm using a fairly new Win 7 64-bit i7 desktop with 16 GB of RAM; I suspect someone with an older machine will see huge performance gains.

Since I'm a photojournalist, speed increases were key:

1. Boot time to the first Windows musical tone is now 32 seconds. (Used to take 45 seconds.) UPDATE DAY 3: Today I discovered the boot sequence is optimized and much faster. Overall loading used to take 2:18 (monitor calibration software and WiFi were last to load). Now WiFi is available at the 45 second mark and everything finishes loading in 1:16 minutes. Nice tweak!

2. Photoshop CS6 loads in two (usually two!) to eight seconds. (Used to take 10-19 seconds!)
3. CS6 takes 4 seconds to convert a massive 21 megapixel RAW file to jpeg. (Used to take 6.5 seconds).
4. Most other programs have experienced similar speed increases, although my Windows Experience Index remains unchanged. Programs like Open Office are essentially instantaneous.
5. My computer's overall power consumption is identical before and after installation. No increase in case temperatures.

Installation was easy. The Adrenaline comes with a bracket allowing placement right under the existing hard drive. Crucial includes the SATA cord to connect to the motherboard, but I had to buy a splitter to get an extra SATA power connector. (My computer suffers from a curious lack of power connectors.) No biggie; it cost two bucks. NOTE: I don't even know, or care, what SATA means, but I figured out the connectors with no problem.

I turned on the computer, registered the license key, downloaded and installed the Dataplex software. Reboot, and it was good to go! The whole process took under an hour.

I am concerned after reading some posts from people who lose their hard drive when booting up the next day. If I ever have a problem, I'll scream bloody murder and post an immediate update. But right now, five stars!

UPDATE 2: I've been using this for three months now. Everything is running smooth as silk.

UPDATE 3: After several months of use, I suddenly got all kinds of system glitches after a big Windows update. It was serious enough that I had to do a full system restore and erase the original Dataplex software. Everything worked fine after the restore, but I just could not STAND how slow my powerful i7 machine seemed without this SSD! I reinstalled the Dataplex software and everything has been working smoothly for over a month now. I do advise making a full system backup "just in case," but there is just no way I want to use my computer without this SSD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and is fast, March 7, 2012
Requirements: win 7, one spinning disk boot drive, extra drive bay with power cable, max 2TB on boot drive. (If you have a laptop with second bay & drive caddy, you won't be able to hot swap the SSD from the laptop--so plan to use an external dvd drive or un-install Dataplex before swapping.).

Installation: Directions are simple and it worked. My system is a Lenovo T520, i7, 8g RAM

You will notice: It really is very fast. I notice big speed improvements in boot time, program launch, OS/system operations-- anywhere disk reads recur because Dataplex stores in cache files that are used most often. So a large share of what my computer is doing is now a lot faster; my WAG is that some 70-80 percent of of what my disk does is now SSD speeds.

I do a lot of number crunching on this computer--giant excel files, stat packages, GIS software. I am not surprised that these programs load faster--hey its an SSD. But, I am surprised that it feels like they calculate faster. My guess is that faster page file activity, temp files, autosave, etc make it feel faster and that I love.

Conclusions: I have too much software for a 64gb boot drive, and a 500gb SSD runs about $700. But now I have a 500gb drive with much of SSD performance for only $120 (and external DVD on laptop). And on my desktop, I could the same with the 2TB drive!

1.0 out of 5 stars A danger to any system, April 30, 2012

I installed this product in my computer, following all instructions and after rebooting it kept coming up as disabled. After discussing the situation with a Dataplex rep, I managed to get it working after deleting the recovery partition on my drive leaving just the main partition. I figured this out on my own, the rep had no idea. While it was working it was great, a noticeable increase in speed in booting up and near instant loading of the programs I used the most. I was genuinely impressed. However, 3 days after install, my computer starting acting funky. All of a sudden my computer started acting very sluggish and wouldn't open any programs. I reset my computer, properly from the start menu and it went through the shutting down motions. When it restarted, the dataplex bios popped up and said it detected an improper shutdown and asked if I wanted to resync to the drive. I said yes, it said successful but then nothing loaded. I had to hard reset and when the dataplex bios came up again, I chose to disable the Adrenaline caching. Same problem as before, nothing loaded. I booted from a different hard drive with a different OS and saw in the disc management that the hard drive with adrenaline was partitioned very strangely, with all my data in one partition and the rest coming up as unallocated. With the help of chkdsk and a data recovery program I managed to get most of my files back, but the install of Windows was toast.

THANKFULLY, this product is so bad, so completely broken that my backup of the drive was less than a week old and I didn't lose much other than my time. For $100 I managed to get three days of operation and hours and hours of frustration.

I saw these negative reviews warning of hard drive corruption and ignored them. Please learn from my mistake and avoid at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm!, April 4, 2012
I just got my Crucial Adrenaline, its my first time using a product from Crucial. According to some reviews here, I backed up my data before installing. It went smoothly, and I timed it, from boot logo to being able to at least scroll in Firefox without the Adrenaline, it took 8mins 30 secs, 1st reboot after install the Adrenaline and Dataplex, it dropped to 3mins 35 sec and 2nd reboot, it dropped down to 1min 2 secs.

I accidentally turned off the mains to my computer and my computer had the computer was not shut down properly message but there wasn't any problems with starting up so far. So far so good though its only been a day, will update if any problems, but at the moment, 5 stars for cutting down my boot time by 7 mins plus despite being promoted as cut down boot time by half. Love the fact that Dataplex key is on a seperate card rather than on the drive itself. Everything comes in the box that's needed to install.

And in case anyone is wondering about my computer specs or if its useful to anyone, even at Crucial.

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8400
Gigabyte EP 45T UD3LR
2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
2x 4GB Scrotium DDR3 RAM
Palit GTS250
6 HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm (boot drive)
500GB Hitachi 7200rpm
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 5400rpm
Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 5400rpm
Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB 7200rpm
Seagate Constellation 1TB 7200 RPM

6th April 2012 update:

A day after installing it, I had boot mgr missing and I had to reformat my entire system as I couldn't get the boot mgr fixed, spent a few hours reinstalling my stuff and copying my data back as I don't backup using softwares, I backed up my files by copying and paste. Lesson learnt, had Crucial reset the serial (they did it extremely quick, faster than I had expected) and backup my files using Acronis, reinstalled Crucial, and now it takes slightly under a min to start up and surf immediately, will update in the next few days to see if any problems might occur, in the mean time, will get a 1TB hard disk to backup my hard drive with Acronis.

Also, it'd probably be faster if I had SATA III ports on my motherboard which sadly I don't, both my main hard drive (WD Caviar Black) and the Crucial are both SATA III products

6th May 2012 Update:
A few weeks ago, I had system crash again due to a problem which I've forgotten so I had to restore. I've updated the firmware and the Dataplex software for what seems like 2 weeks without any issues whatsoever. But at the same time, I kept 2 copies of backup, 1 without Dataplex installed and 1 with Dataplex installed just in case, will update again should anything happen, but in the meantime, everything has been running great. My system boots in under a minute from Windows logo and all the programs I usually use at startup start more or less almost instantly. Though there was a rocky beginning, it seems to be improving.

2nd June 2012 Update:
2 weeks ago, the SSD failed to allow my computer to boot up, but this time, I manage to delete the cache data, boot up normally from my hard drive (without corruption of MBR) and enter windows after 10 long minutes and luckily, there was an update. I installed the update and for 2 weeks, it has been running flawlessly. I'm not sure if the version previously had a good software but I shall assume that the Dataplex software had improvements which allowed me to delete data and boot using the hard drive without issues as compared to the earlier versions, shall update again if there is any problems or improvements.

In summary, the version of software that I've run since I got it:

Version 1.1.2.5 (02-17-2012) I didn't use this

Version 1.1.2.9 (03-26-2012) First version I used, crashed after a while and caused MBR corruption, cannot get windows up and running and had to reinstall and copy everything from scratch

Version 1.1.3.0 (03-30-2012) Second version I used, slightly better, still crashed and caused MBR corruption and cannot get windows up and running, had to restore from image

Version 1.1.3.3 (04-18-2012) Third version I used, had some error (unknown why there was an error) but manage to delete cache data and disable cache drive which allowed me to boot from hard drive without issues, and just happened that the new version was released, so uninstalled and reinstalled the next version

Version 1.1.3.4 (04-25-2012) Current version in use, 2 weeks to date without any problems of booting up and usage.

Version 1.1.3.7 (06-16-2012) Unable to install this version on my computer as it keeps caching another drive despite the software automatically choosing my boot drive, rendering this version unusable on my computer, and I'm just plain lazy to reconnect the cables should I choose to plug out, plus its a mess of wires hence I don't want to go through the trouble, the previous versions had no such problems, will update when there's a new update.

Version 1.3.0.0 (03-10-2013) Installed without any issues, running extremely smooth. I had some issues with computer being unable to start-up due to a power supply that is unable to provide enough power but with the new version, I don't encounter that issue. Also there's an option to sync the data when computer fails to boot up (which solves the problem for me in the past by disabling and uninstalling and reinstalling Dataplex, been begging for this feature but no need to use at the moment). The best version I've used so far!

To date, its been running like a dream, fast, quick, no issues, just as it was suppose to be! Kudos to Crucial and or Nvelo for fixing the problems faced by users!

18 Dec 2012: I had some issues probably with software and other stuff, after reformatting and installing Dataplex, it works just great with 1.1.3.7 although the current version is 1.2.0.4 and until the software update is compelling enough for me to update, I will continue with the 1.1.3.7. But its been weeks and no issues encountered with my computer at the moment.

9 Jun 2013: I've been having more and more issues with 1.3 to the point I had to reformat and reinstall everything, and yet I still have the same problems. After a while, I got a BSOD which I've never seen before, stating that a hardware has failed. I've since tested my 4 sticks or RAM in different configuration on my motherboard, but it seems they're all work fine regardless, but refuse to play nice when working with the cache SSD. Without the Cache SSD, all is well, so I've opted to remove my 2 pieces of 2GB Kingston RAMs leaving only the 2 pieces of 4GB Scrotium RAMs inside. Its been around a week or so and it's working with zero issues. And its speed is comparable to the Corsair SSD I use on my laptop so I'm extremely pleased despite missing another 4GB RAMs. But so far it has not hampered any video or photo editing as far as I can tell, with my usual workflow, any heavier and I might experience a little issue, but I can't comment on it since I have not had a need to change my workflow anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: Easy set up and works as advertised, March 8, 2012
Craig P. Ephraim "rocheph" (Fairport, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Have been considering adding an SSD to my Win7 setup for some time, but have been hesitant due to the complexities involved (without a fresh install of Windows).

With the Adrenaline drive, it was a snap.
After a couple reboots and launching my favorite apps, the speed increase is very apparent. Windows loads in 40secs vs. 1.5mins. FireFox, Thunderbird, MS Office apps and games all pop open much more quickly.

Definitely worth it.

______________________

UPDATE: 7/125/12
Worked great for a couple months. Unfortunately, there was some issue with my system that caused the Dataplex software to request user input during system shutdown. My wife, not knowing what she was seeing, hit "Disable Dataplex". When she saw no response, she powered off the PC.

This caused the system hard drive where Windows was installed to become completely corrupted. Booting led to a "partition table" error. After many interactions with Dataplex support, despite their outstanding attempts and personal hand-holding (thank you, Pat!), it was determined that my only option was to reinstall Windows. Sadly, the hard drive seemed so corrupt that Windows Install couldn't even find it.

So, I installed Windows on this SSD and have a new 2TB HDD on order for the rest of my data.

Despite this being a great concept with great support, I can no longer recommend it, unless all the users in your home are technologically savvy and would have known what to do when they saw the Dataplex shutdown error message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows BSOD (not anymore), March 27, 2012
UPDATE 3-28-2012
You can read the problems I was having before DataPlex contacted me below (*)
Dataplex contacted me by email and then called me with a patch update Dataplex_v1.1.2.9.zip and I installed the update and everything works fine now I was very impressed with DataPlex they really got to work on this fast and the fix works. They told me they knew about the NVIDIA controls on my Motherboard and had been working on a fix.

*I only gave it 1 star because
I was on the phone most of the day with Crucial 3-26-2012. I installed adrenaline as per instructions and when computer started and I clicked on IE9 to open I got the blue screen with the error bad_pool_header that was the start of a long day on the phone with Crucial with the result of them telling me they were going to call the software company and see if they had an answer to why it will not run (software Dataplex) I'm still waiting on the call or email from Dataplex. My computer: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, Motherboard EVGA 680i SL 122-CK-NF68, RAM Crucial 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz, Graphics 2 1024MB GeForce GTS 450 (EVGA) SLI, hard drives (3) 293GB Seagate ST330062 0AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA) (power though cyberpower 1200AVR)
I will gave credit to Crucial for trying to help with the problem with the software but after trying most of the day to get it to work still had the same problem windows blue screen everytime I installed the software with them gaving me directions all the way and trying several different tweaks with each install. My computer runs fine with no problems after I uninstall the Dataplex software ( which is not an easy thing to do after you get the BSOD but I won't go into that now)

I will update this review when I have either returned this or Dataplex gets the problem fixed

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty good!, March 20, 2012
I have 2 of these (so far). The first one I purchased for my Son's gaming PC expecting dramatic improvements which I didn't get but that's on me and my unrealistic expectations.
Adrenaline did speed up times VS. The brand new Velociraptor 600MB HD in that PC to the point that my Son could tell and was happy so it's all good. Decided to purchase another one for the slowest of
my 3 PC's here and there was some dramatic improvement to be had!. Software setup is quick and easy the hardest thing being the hardware setup but it's still easy as long as you have a rudimentary knowledge
of PC Tech. I'll most likely purchase at least another one for my last PC here and possibly another 2 for my Son and his Mom. The price is right and a good interim performance boost as we all wait for SSD prices to come down and
capacities to increase. OH just so you know if you do buy this be advised that there are no "1's" in the license keys. If it looks like a "1" it's ALWAYS an "I" so that will save you some of the grief I had during my first install.

UPDATE: 3/30/2012 Both of my PC'S have had some funny problems with this thing. One it just 'disappeared' and I needed to reinstall it. The 2nd PC became 'corrupted' in the middle of facebooking and I was forced to do an improper windows shutdown as I had no control whatsoever (turning off the power).
Some other guy said he did this in the reviews and I figured I just bricked my PC but that wasn't the case at all Windows 7 allowed me to disable Adrenaline at boot so I was good to go. What I'm trying to say is it appears if you have Windows 7 you'll be ok if you have any hiccups. I can't speak for Vista or XP obviously. I do run my PC's with the same starting and ending cache sizes without Windows management. Guess I'll try letting Windows manage the Cache sizes maybe that's the prob. Going to buy another one right now (my 3rd copy)it really woke up my everyday PC so I'm STILL happy :).

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashed my hard drive. Dangerous product. Avoid!, March 17, 2012
Followed the installation instructions carefully. Installation went without incident. The next day, I started my computer. An error message appeared telling me that the SSD directory structure was corrupted due to an improper shut down. There was no improper shut down the day before. I tried following the instructions on the screen to recover the SSD file structure. The machine locked up. After 20 minutes, I shut down, removed the SSD, and restarted. This time the error message indicated that the SSD was missing, and that I could return the boot to the HD if I wanted to. I followed the instructions, but the machine simply rebooted over and over to the same error screen. I attempted a Windows 7 boot sector repair using the my Windows 7 CD. No operating system was found on the disk. I removed the HDD and attached it to another computer. The drive was recognized, however, all of the data were gone(!) I had lost everything; Windows kept asking me if I wanted to format the drive (which I did not do).

Nothing was wrong the day I installed the SSD. The day after, everything was lost. Crucial tech support was impossible to reach by phone, although I did email them last night.

I then spent an additional $105 on file recovery software (Virtuallab) in an attempt to recover critical lost files. It did find some, so all is not lost. I returned the SSD to Amazon, however, I am still out $105 for software I didn't need before yesterday.

This product is dangerous. Crucial should withdraw it. If you want to try it anyway, make sure you back up your HDD first. Fortunately, I had a 3 week old back up, and after spending $105, I was able (after hours of waiting) to recover some critical lost files. Crucial did not recommend backing up the HDD prior to installation. I believe this is negligence and I think Crucial should reimburse me for my expense and trouble. I have told them this, however, I'm not holding my breath.

2.0 out of 5 stars Use caution when installing Adrenaline, June 6, 2012
This product is a great concept and the Hardware appears to be solid BUT the software called Dataplex which interfaces the drive leaves a lot to be desired. As expressed by other reviewers, my installation went along perfectly and the Adrenaline came on line when I rebooted. I used it for a couple of days and enjoyed beautiful performance. The third day I went to a meeting leaving the computer on. When I returned there was a message on the screen saying the system had failed to boot. I tried several things to get it running. I could boot into my Wubi (Utuntu under Windows) with no problem but could not boot windows. A screen showing up on booting the Adrenaline gave me the opportunity to disable it, which I did. That didn't help. Using various tools I found that the hard drive no longer recognized the system partition. It did recognize the system restore partition (unfortunately that was the original Vista distribution). After some research I found EaseUS Partition Recovery, a free download on CNet.com. That software was able to restore the partition. I chose not to attempt to run that drive after all it went through and restored my April Backup on a new drive and moved the data from the original drive using a BlackX eSata to Usb docking station ( [...] ) into which I could plug my old internal drive.

My caution to you is that this product is not for the faint of heart. Beginners, stay away or hire a professional. I would have given it 5 stars if it worked without a problem. Since it isn't installed and running maybe I shouldn't even give it two. It's great when it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little drive!, April 18, 2012
I just got this for my overclocked i7 920 system that is beginning to show its age. The system is very fast, but Windows and programs took a few seconds (or minutes) to launch. This drive has fixed all of that. From the second time I open anything, it is lightning fast; and with 50GiB of space, it should be able to keep much more in cache than the intel 20GiB drive, plus I didn't need to invest in a new processor and motherboard. I am also very happy with the whole m4 line of SSD's, and greatly prefer them to any non-Intel Sandforce drive. Yes, Sandforce can be very fast, but they seem to have a lot of kinks to work out still - no such problems with the m4 lineup.