5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Review gone Wild...
Published on October 22, 2010 by simpleman

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional
Published on November 29, 2012 by Charles W. Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Review gone Wild..., October 22, 2010
This review is from: Crucial 2GB Kit (1GBx2) DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300) CL5 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2KIT12864AA667 (Personal Computers)
Crucial is a very good company who makes reliable, trustworthy RAM memory. This particular product performed great in my older Gateway workstation (motherboard uses a Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz Hyper Threading CPU). This RAM kit (I say kit because it comes with two identical 1GB sticks of RAM) runs at 533Mhz (667MHz capable) in my motherboard vs the 512MB of 400MHz RAM (2 sticks of 256MB ... also 240 pin DDR2, of course) that was installed. I removed the slower RAM so that the system didn't auto-adjust the speed and end up setting the new RAM in sync with the older, slower RAM (yes, two different speeds = slower speed used for all).. And yes, I have 4 DIMM slots (or 2 Dual Channels, meaning 2 SETS of RAM slots for identical pairs), even though 2 slots total is the standard. I then added an additional 1GB (2 x 512MB 667MHz DDR2 kit) of Kingston (ALSO very reputable) that I found used (in a kit) for a total of 3GB, which is close to the limit. Approximately 3.5GB is the limit in Windows, unless you're using a 64 bit version of the operating system. This says nothing for Linux (and all it's tasty flavors), which is a great operating system, lately... So even if I HAD 4GB memory, my (Windows) operating system would only recognize three and a half. With 3GB RAM, my system is running much smoother...

If all this confuses you, then I recommend going to crucial.com from the computer you intend to upgrade and find the Crucial Memory Advisor(tm) tool. Click on "scan your computer" at the bottom of the window that contains the advisor. And remember this:

1. There are different generations of DDR (or double data rate... the new standard) memory. There's DDR1 (simply referred to as DDR), DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, and DDR5 (I believe DDR4 and 5 are used primarily for high end video cards at this time - late 2010). Find out (for SURE) what generation of DDR RAM you are using, as the different generations are not compatible with each other. The memory stick would not fit in your machine..

2. Rather a memory stick be too fast, than too slow. example: 667Mhz memory installed on a motherboard that supports 533Mhz memory will auto adjust the memory to 533Mhz, and will work fine. But 533Mhz memory sticks designed for boards that desire 800MHz sticks means your memory will have to work above and beyond what it was intended for.. So even though they're both (let's say) DDR2, you could run into serious problems if your memory isn't as fast as it needs to be.

3. Make sure the pin count is correct. DDR2 is a 240-pin module. DDR is a 184-pin module. Notebooks have 200-pin modules for DDR and DDR2, however the notch on DDR modules is in a slightly different position than that on DDR2 modules. Don't buy mobile (laptop) memory, if you need memory for a desktop, and visa versa. Mobile memory example: PC2-6400 DDR2 SO-DIMM (for notebooks)

4. If "kits" and "dual-channel" confuse you, then you should probably buy kits (kits are identical pairs). If your computer NEEDs dual channel memory (a FEATURE), and doesn't receive it, it probably won't run. But if your computer will run memory that is not identical, then the kit will not hurt anyway. Make sense?

5. I believe most home computers use non-ECC (error correction checking). unbuffered memory, because it is much more cost effective. Servers use ECC, buffered, because it's mission critical.

6. "What's this PC2-5300 stuff?" ... without a long explanation, just divide the last number by 8 to find out the actual speed of the RAM. Multiply the speed by 8 to find the bandwidth (in MB per second). Some shops display only bandwidth, and others only speed. Hence, PC2-5300 is DDR2 667MHz (give or take a few MHz, which is allowed). Likewise PC3-10600 would be DDR3 1333MHz (even though it comes out to 1325MHz...) Make sense?

If, after all this, you still have reservations, then I would recommend letting your local computer geek (like myself, were I in your neighborhood) have a look at your machine. A RAM memory upgrade is actually a relatively simple process, to someone who follows computer technology on a regular basis (and preferably worked with more than just one machine).

Wow. My review turned into an instruction manual...

Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap to buy, easy to install, noticable improvement.., June 5, 2008
I ordered this because I was having file corruption issues and during the fix the tech told me my machine was running way too slow - a virtually new Dell running Vista with 1GB RAM. Supposedly Vista only requires 512MB but the tech laughed and said it eats 1GB routinely. So I ordered up the 2GB Crucial chipset. They slid right in, the computer recognized them, and we were off to the races. Much, much better. Web pages fill 3x faster, multitasking programs snap back and forth with authority and (I swear) I lost a couple of extra pounds and some of my hair grew back in. Amazing. It still takes too long to boot Vista, but throwing another 2 gigs at Vista is like hooking up 2 more tugboats to the Titanic. It helps, but not much. Not a total fix, but much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Ordered, April 23, 2008
I just ordered two of these sets, and both came as advertised. Each package contained two memory cards at 1gb each. And together, they work exactly as you would expect 4gb of memory to work.

I felt I had to leave this review so that people aren't put off by the previous reviewer who claims to have ordered this product and received only one card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent memory from a great manufacturer, October 30, 2009
So far, I never had any problem with crucial ram. I install this memory inside a Dell Precision 380 and it has been running great. I had some installation problem installing both modules at first because my system was using a old bios. Once I update my bios the ram installed without any problems. My computer now run faster since the ram upgrade.

Just a Reminder: If you are planning to install this ram on a 32bit Windows OS then you need to remember that Windows will not recognize the entire 4 gigs. My Windows 7 32bit system only recognize 3.25 gigs of the ram. If you are installing this ram on a 64bit Window OS, then you are fine. This a Windows limitation not a Crucial problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Memory, Great Price, August 25, 2009
What can I say? It works and it was cheap. 'Nuff said.

I got this for My Dell Inspiron 531 and it was compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazing Fast, March 10, 2011
Crucial Memory made our old computer faster than the new one we have. The memory is the same price as the Crucial website. With Amazon it ships for free and arrives faster! I love you Amazon Shipping!!!

HERE'S THE LOW-DOWN:
Go to any search engine. Search for Crucial Memory Scanner. Have the website scan and tell you what memory you need. Write down the exact recommended memory the scan recommends. Buy from Amazon to save on shipping.

Write down the scanner information.
Look for any of these key things- the more, the better:
1. Write down "PIN-any numbers" (often PIN-72, PIN-168, PIN-184)
2. Write down if it is RDRAM
3. Write down if it needs to be installed in matching pairs
5. Write down if it DDR, DDR2, or DDR3?
6. Write down the MHz
7. Write down if it is "PC2-any numbers"
8. Follow any advice from the crucial memory scanner, including how much memory per slot & overall can be installed
9. Buy the memory from the Amazon Warehouse with free shipping if over $25 or Amazon Prime
(other vendors outside the Amazon Warehouse may charge shipping)

TIP: If you buy every month or so from Amazon, go ahead and purchase the Amazon Prime Membership, it will payoff. Also, one day shipping will be reduced to $3.99 including many heavy items such as new furniture.
Homelegance Sundance Love Seat
South Shore Axess Collection 5-Shelf Bookcase, Chocolate

5.0 out of 5 stars Good RAM, lifetime warranty, August 25, 2007
David Nathanson (Southern Calif, United States) - See all my reviews
What's not to like? Crucial RAM is good stuff and you can depend on it. If you're not sure exactly what is the right ram for your computer, check out the crucial ram web site. They make it easy. Keep your receipt, they do offer a lifetime warranty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a charm, March 26, 2009
cal (Omaha Nebraska) - See all my reviews
I upgraded my HP MediaSmart Server from 512M to 2GB with this memory module. It worked like a champ and increased the performance. Great price!

4.0 out of 5 stars a must for HP Slimline PC's, September 1, 2009
I bought one of these when I first upgraded my HP Slimline PC last year '08. It was very expensive back then ($40+), maybe I got took by HP. Nowadays, purchasing one of these is a lot cheaper than I expected. My HP Slimline came with a factory RAM of 1.0 GB but in overall of .5 GB (due to installed programs used), the PC was a bit slow when I stored some pictures, videos & games. I decided to upgrade & purchase one of these Crucial 1GB's & installed it myself. It went well with a 1.5 GB overall & My PC ran a better performance on a DSL. Now, currently it has 2.0 GB when I purchased another 1GB here in amazon with a very low price tag. I wish someday these memory module will be available in 2GB models.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, November 29, 2012
I purchased this memory for a Dell Vostro 200, intending to increase the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB. Unfortunately it does not work in combination with the existing memory. No combination of new and old memory would work. I tried both dual and single channel modes. By itself, the new memory works perfectly but in any combination with the existing RAM, the machine will not boot.

I regret that I must return this purchase. The product is otherwise good and delivery was quick. 5 stars on functionality and delivery, 0 stars on compatibility.

This memory is 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •
The Dell Vostro 200 takes 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

I expected it to work.