Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BF1339
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 11, 2012
I ordered this to upgrade the RAM in a Feb 2011 2.0 GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro. According to Apple, this model only supports up to 8 GB. But OCW found that it can support 16 GB. I bought with a little hesitation, but safe in knowing that if it didn't work, Amazon would allow me to return it and get a refund.

It has worked great, like every other Crucial brand product I have ever bought. My next upgrade purchase will likely be a Crucial solid state drive.
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2012
Great product, works well in my Dec 2011 13" MacBook Pro, 16GB inserted and recognized with no issue. Installation was a breeze too. I'd say the hardest part wasn't the memory swap, but rather not loosing any of those tiny screws the MacBook case uses.
66 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2013
I bought this upgrade for my 2009 iMac 27" i7. I already had 4 x 2GB sticks in my iMac, but needed more speed for Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. I installed 2 x 16GB along side 2 x 2GB sock memory (YES YOU CAN DO THAT!) to give me a total of 20GB. I had no compatibility issues and it produced a very noticeable speed boost. If you feel your Mac is in need of more memory, I would recommend the following to know if your RAM is the issue: Open Utilities folder -> Open "Activity Monitor" -> Click the tab at the bottom labeled "System Memory" -> Just below that, you should see a few sets of data...The important ones are:

"Free" : If your "Free" memory is low (or 0!) you probably need more memory.
"Page Outs" : If the "Page Outs" is high, this means that your computer is using hard disk rather than RAM for memory functions and produces a severe loss in speed.
"Swap Used" : This gives a rough estimate of how much hard disk is used for RAM. This will give you a rough idea of how much RAM you should add. i.e. if this is 4 GB, then you should add at least 4 GB.

You should check these numbers while doing the types of activities you normally use your computer for. Not just at idle with nothing running!

As far as this item goes, Crucial is a known Apple-friendly RAM and is unlikely to give you any issues. It is also a high quality manufacturer and is much more reliable than some cheaper brands. Remember, RAM is dirt cheap these days so don't save a few $$ to buy inferior quality RAM! You should just not buy any if you are going to buy a terrible brand.

iMac install is really easy! You can find many manuals on the internet (I prefer iFixit). Don't be intimidated buy installing it. You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. If you feel uncomfortable, then by all means have someone qualified to do it for you.
on July 2, 2012
I have a late-2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.2 GHz i7 with OS X 10.7.4. Apple officially supports up to 8 GB of RAM, but this went in without a problem and was recognized by the OS easily.

The only thing you'll need is a #00 philips screwdriver. I bought mine from Radio Shack for $7 (it came in a kit).

Then, take off 10 screws on the bottom, pop off the aluminum plate, pop off the existing RAM, stick the new RAM in its place, and voila! There are several Youtube videos showing the entire process. It took me 15-20 minutes from start to finish.

This has different part numbers from the Crucial website, but works just the same.
on April 10, 2013
I bought these after I upgraded using another companies ram that failed after 6 weeks and these work like a charm. No problems at all and allow me to use my 16gb ram to the fullest! I was a little concerned with the dual voltage but I have had absolutely no problems with them!
on February 15, 2014
I went by the ratings already found under this product, and everything worked out great -- my computer is much snappier, and the RAM is still going strong.

Specs, copied directly from "About this Mac":

21.5-inch iMac, Mid 2011
Processor - 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory - 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
RAM slots are 2 GB, 2 GB, 8 GB, 8 GB
with the 8 GB's being the ones I purchased from Crucial.
on September 16, 2013
Recently got an Acer V5-122P. Looked everywhere, even Acer has the specs to be maximum RAM of 6GB, 2 onboard, and 4GB in slot. After some searching, Crucial claimed that this 8GB SODIMM would work. I gave it a shot. Works great. The notebook now has 10GB. BIOS and W8 both picked it up right away.
on February 4, 2013
Installed these memory chips in my mid 2011 iMac and had no problems. I chose the Crucial chips because of good reviews on iMac forums. Also, the fact that Amazon had a good deal did not hurt either.
on June 23, 2013
Has anyone else had this memory show up as 1600 and not 1333? I installed this into a Late 2011 Macbook Pro. The system took a long time to boot up (about minute and half whereas it's normally about 45 seconds.) I assumed that the long boot was due to the POST calculating the new RAM. After the boot to the desktop, the normal load time for the system and user initiated apps is about 20 seconds. This took about a minute. Again, I assumed it was the first time booting with the new RAM.

I checked "About this Mac." It showed 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I was expecting to see 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I rebooted the system and ran Memtest86+ which passed but no indication of the speed. I then ran Apple Hardware Test. It showed it passed and the speed @ 1600. So did REMBER. The modules say 1333. The package says 1333. I ordered this kit which says PC3 10600 DDR3 1333 so I have no clue what is up with this. I am a little concerned as usually Macs are known to be memory speed sensitive. However, they normally fail to boot if there is an issue with the RAM. Other than the first long boot, it boots fine.

The desktop initialization is fine as are all of the apps I run. It did get hung up once in Safari but other than that, all seems to working fine. So the question is, do I keep it or not. I called Crucial. They were of little help and told me to return it and order the correct RAM. Geez I hate stupid people.

Any thoughts on this?
88 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2014
I bought my MacBook new 18 months ago after ANOTHER and the final disaster with my Windows laptop. The Apple site says my particular MacBook will recognize and talk to 8 gigs of RAM. I learned from the Crucial site that my MacBook was capable of utilizing 16 gig! I just replaced the (2) 2 gig boards with these (2) 8 gig boards. The Mac came right up and yes the MacBook indeed runs noticeably faster now. Be a smart owner/technician. Keep yourself grounded while you replace your memory cards. I kept one finger touching the Mac metal frame the entire time I removed the screws, lifted the bottom cover, and unlatched the original memory cards. These semiconductor memory chips can be damaged with just 20 volts of static charge quietly resting on your skin. Standing up from a leather sofa while wearing polyester pants can create 100's of volts, 1000's if you walk across a carpeted room. Don't pay big bucks to have someone else upgrade your memory. Do it yourself, just be smart and informed.