1,195 Reviews
 (1,053)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for late 2012 Mac Mini
I bought this kit to upgrade a late 2012 Mac Mini. Worked flawlessly, as I would expect a Crucial product to do. Amazon had this for less than buying direct from Crucial, free shipping, and fast delivery. What's not to like?
Published 21 months ago by Sean W. Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars good price for a lot of memory. test it!
Published 11 months ago by ArthurDent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for late 2012 Mac Mini, December 18, 2012
Sean W. Franklin (Eureka Springs, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory for Mac CT2C8G3S160BM (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits 27" Late 2013 iMac!!!!!, October 9, 2013
I was hesitant to buy these from amazon because the product model Number didn't match what crucials website said I needed when I chose my system on their product finder system. Later I was told by crucial that they use the same exact modules but give different product numbers to them depending on what system you input into their product finder. So long story short, I bought them and installed them I. My brand new imac.

My system booted on the first try and all 32gb worth registered in the system without any problems. This is an excellent deal! Apple wanted to charge $600 to go from 8gb to 32gb. I spent less than $300 to do the same with these modules and I got to keep the original 8gb of ram that came with my imac to use I. A different system!

One more thing!
Installing these isn't for the faint of heart! You hand to align them in the slots just right and push them I. Pretty hard to fully seat them. They may seem like they don't want to fit or are too big, but trust me, they fit and work just fine. Just push on then hard and they will go in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 model), July 23, 2013
If you go to the crucial website and have them scan your MacBook, they'll recommend you a CT kit with a serial number that doesn't match this one. As alarming as that might seem, the crucial website FAQ's indicate that the serial numbers may vary for warehouse storage and distribution, and that you should pay attention to the listed specs instead.

Anyways, the installation was surprisingly easy. It consists of a simple unscrewing and removal of the back panel followed by popping the old ram sticks out and popping the new sticks in that even an tech-unsavvy person like me could perform. I found the RAM replacement video guide on crucial's site helpful, since the guy points out a few safety considerations like static discharge and the numbers and placements of screws.

Once installed, I immediately noticed the difference in the upgrade. Applications are opening much more rapidly than they used to, and Parallels for Mac is running in seamless clarity. I highly recommend this upgrade to other MacBook Pro users running on 4 GB of RAM or less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for Macbook pro 13" 2011 early !!!, June 10, 2013
I spent a lot of time to make sure Macbook 2011 13" (i5 2.3G) will run 1600MHZ. Mixed views all around. Worried this would not work, I actually ordered a set of 16GB 1333MHz from Crucial at over $110 on Amazon, turned out to be not good and had to do a refund. You can guess how surprised I was to spend less than $90 here and have a much better product.

My Macbook Pro 13" 2011 early, which "offcially" states only support 1333MHz, instantly picked up 1600MHz 16 GB without any problem.

My old setting was 8GB 1333MHz. I used to run Photoshop and other Adobe products, Windows 8 on Parallel Desktop and few browsers and many others softwares for web design purpose all at the same time. It would stuck here and there, esp. Photoshop, actually always stuck - made it the reason I want to improve my memory.

It proved to be a wise decision. Now, with all major programmes running, I have no problem. Now I can have a smooth Photoshop and Windows at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for new 27" iMac (late 2012 model)!!, January 16, 2013
I have always had great experiences with crucial memory and this was no exception! I purchased a set of these to bump up the RAM in my new 27" iMac from 8GB to 24GB and it worked like a charm! My computer is running faster than ever now, and I doubt I will ever have to add any additional RAM to it. However, if I ever do, I will gladly buy another set of these to max out my RAM to 32GB.

Additionally, this product is SO much cheaper than buying from Apple. To bump my RAM from 8GB to 16GB would have cost $200 if I had purchased from Apple! With this product, I am now sitting at 24GB at less than 1/2 the cost of an additional 8GB of RAM from Apple. I could not recommend this product highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Late 2012 27" iMac After Changing Slot Order, April 30, 2013
I initially installed this memory in the already-open slots 1 and 3 (the factory RAM was in slots 2 and 4) and got 3 beeping sounds and no bootup. After following the advice of another reviewer here, I turned it back off, opened the memory compartment back up, and swapped the positions of the factory RAM and the Crucial RAM so it went like this:

Slot 1: 4GB Apple RAM (Top slot if iMac is upright)
Slot 2: 8GB Crucial RAM
Slot 3: 4GB Apple RAM
Slot 4: 8GB Crucial RAM (Bottom slot if iMac is upright)

That worked fine and I now have 24GB of RAM installed on the Late 2012 27" iMac.

Tip 1: the Crucial RAM is a tight fit in the memory slots. To get them back out to swap their positions, I first had to remove the Apple RAM so that I could get a better grip on the Crucial RAM.

Tip 2: I had difficulty getting the memory access panel off of the iMac because my finger wasn't going far enough in to depress the button all the way. I used a small key (a screwdriver would work too) to push the button in all the way to get the access panel to pop open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, huge speed bump, October 4, 2012
Worked perfectly right after installation on my baseline mid 2012 MBP 13". Great performance boost. Runs win 7 on parallels seamlessly, just as if was just another light app. Completely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in 13" MacBook Pro 2012 CT2C8G3S160BM = CT3373650, September 21, 2013
-Great ram sticks
-No errors
-No heat issues
-Battery life wasn't effected
-Easy to install
-Fast
-I can run three virtual machines with ease
-iPhoto can utilize almost all of the memory

My chat with Crucial:
JT: is CT2C8G3S160BM the same as CT3373650?
Sydni : One moment, please, while I review your inquiry.
JT: i am installing it in a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13" i5
Sydni : CT2C8G3S160BM is a reseller part. CT3373650 translates into CT2K8G3S160BM. They should both work in your system.
JTwill 16gb affect battery life?
Sydni : Possibly. It should work the same concerning battery life until you push your computer to do more.
JT: what about heat?
Sydni : It's more work in the same amount of space. It will run a little hotter.
Sydni : You're welcome. I was happy to assist you, and I hope I was able to answer all of your questions today. Thank you for visiting Crucial, and have a wonderful day.
Thank you for using Expert Online. You may now close this window.

3.0 out of 5 stars good price for a lot of memory. test it!, October 12, 2013
Mac Mini MD388, 16GB crucial memory installed right after purchase of Mini. I dismissed the occasional system crashes as tolerable until they happened twice in one day. Then I ran the Apple hardware test, which appears when you hold the D key down on startup (press it right after the Mac startup boing sound). The hardware test offers quick or detailed testing. Quick test is probably just a sampling test across available memory. The Crucial memory failed. I didn't need to run the detailed test to discover badness.

Consider what happens or could happen if you run for a few weeks with faulty memory. You save images from your camera into your photo library -- Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom -- you buy and download music, applications, etc. And it passes through possibly bad memory onto the hard disk. Was any of what you wrote to disk corrupted as it passed through? Maybe a few bits (ones and zeros) representing, say, the color of your child's eyes change from blue to red as those bits pass through bad memory. iPhoto won't know that red eyes are wrong, and will write that data to disk as your permanent record. You might never know.

(Technically, this scenario is a simplification. Bad memory could instead cause application crashes or any number of other ill effects. If you're lucky, the Mac will detect problems on startup and play a sad sound instead of the Mac startup boing; then you'd have a pretty solid case for immediate return/exchange of bad memory.)

Too much time has passed for me to do a nice and easy Amazon exchange or return, so I've gone to the somewhat clunky Crucial returns web page. Crucial has said that they will issue an RMA and, I suppose, send replacement modules in due time and after the proper hoops have been jumped.

The 16GB seemed to work well. If I'd had many apps running simultaneously, the difference between 16 and the stock 4GB would probably have been tremendous. The next step will be, at some point down the road, a Pro Samsung SSD, which will almost certainly make a far more noticeable improvement in speed. Another family member has a Retina MacBook Pro with an SSD; though the rMBP has a lesser processor than the Mini, it's massively faster.

Learn from my mistake: TEST YOUR NEW MEMORY!

Happy computing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Late 2013 27" iMac Compatible, May 5, 2014
I replaced an older iMac with a Late 2013 27" iMac (3.2 GHz i7, GTX 780M 4GB, 1.28TB Fusion Drive) with 16GB of RAM in November. I planned on upgrading to the max 32GB of RAM at a later date. I held off upgrading due to mixed messages about the differences between the Crucial RAM Amazon was selling here and the recommended RAM on Crucial's website (which was more expensive). It seems like the dust had settled so I ordered two individual 8GB modules since the price was slightly less than the two-pack package at the time.

Although I had concerns about fit, etc., my main concern was voltage requirements since higher voltage generally means more heat; heat being an enemy of electronics, particularly computer components. My understanding is that my particular model of iMac employs 1.35v RAM. Crucial's website specifically states that their recommend RAM is 1.35v. The Crucial RAM Amazon sells here is listed as 1.35v/1.5v.

Just prior to ordering I contacted Crucial directly to be sure the RAM Amazon was selling was compatible with my model of iMac.

MY EMAIL TO CRUCIAL:

"Hello,

Can you please tell me what the difference is between Crucial Part Number CT4951624 and Crucial Part Number CT2K8G3S160BM? Specifically I want to buy a 1.35v model. Part Number CT2K8G3S160BM is listed as 1.35V/1.5V.

Thank you very much!"

CRUCIAL'S REPLY:

"Thank you for contacting Crucial. I have looked at both of the part numbers you sent in your email, and these are actually the same. The difference between the number CT4951624 and CT2K8G3S160BM is that the smaller one tells us that CT2K8G3S160BM is guaranteed compatible with your specific system. The longer part number, is considered a general part number that can be compatible with thousands of types of computers. That smaller number can vary from system to system, but the the general part number will not change. Essentially, CT4951624 simply tells us that this module is compatible with your system.

Regarding the voltage, the fact that it is listed as 1.35v/1.5v means that it will work with either voltage. So, if you are looking for a module compatible with 1.35v you can buy that part. Additionally, if you were looking for one that worked at 1.5v this part would still be compatible.

I hope this information has been helpful. "

I also read several reports about the Crucial/Amazon modules being hard to seat...needing some force to get them in. Mine slipped in without any pressure at all, a perfect and easy fit.

Other reviewers also mentioned having to wait a long time for a reboot or having to reboot twice with the Crucial/Amazon RAM. My iMac booted up normally the first time.

So Crucial may have changed some of the specs from what was being sold here early on.

SUMMARY:

Since installing this Crucial RAM my iMac has been running flawlessly. So based on my personal experience the Crucial RAM being sold here by Amazon is a perfect fit!

I'll update my post should I run into anything unusual.

Hope that helps anyone that follows!

Rate and Discover Movies