1,582 Reviews
 (1,397)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for late 2012 Mac Mini
I bought this kit to upgrade a late 2012 Mac Mini. Worked flawlessly, as I would expect a Crucial product to do. Amazon had this for less than buying direct from Crucial, free shipping, and fast delivery. What's not to like?
Published on December 18, 2012 by Sean W. Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars good price for a lot of memory. test it!
Published 14 months ago by ArthurDent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for late 2012 Mac Mini, December 18, 2012
Sean W. Franklin (Eureka Springs, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory for Mac CT2C8G3S160BM (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 model), July 23, 2013
If you go to the crucial website and have them scan your MacBook, they'll recommend you a CT kit with a serial number that doesn't match this one. As alarming as that might seem, the crucial website FAQ's indicate that the serial numbers may vary for warehouse storage and distribution, and that you should pay attention to the listed specs instead.

Anyways, the installation was surprisingly easy. It consists of a simple unscrewing and removal of the back panel followed by popping the old ram sticks out and popping the new sticks in that even an tech-unsavvy person like me could perform. I found the RAM replacement video guide on crucial's site helpful, since the guy points out a few safety considerations like static discharge and the numbers and placements of screws.

Once installed, I immediately noticed the difference in the upgrade. Applications are opening much more rapidly than they used to, and Parallels for Mac is running in seamless clarity. I highly recommend this upgrade to other MacBook Pro users running on 4 GB of RAM or less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits 27" Late 2013 iMac!!!!!, October 9, 2013
I was hesitant to buy these from amazon because the product model Number didn't match what crucials website said I needed when I chose my system on their product finder system. Later I was told by crucial that they use the same exact modules but give different product numbers to them depending on what system you input into their product finder. So long story short, I bought them and installed them I. My brand new imac.

My system booted on the first try and all 32gb worth registered in the system without any problems. This is an excellent deal! Apple wanted to charge $600 to go from 8gb to 32gb. I spent less than $300 to do the same with these modules and I got to keep the original 8gb of ram that came with my imac to use I. A different system!

One more thing!
Installing these isn't for the faint of heart! You hand to align them in the slots just right and push them I. Pretty hard to fully seat them. They may seem like they don't want to fit or are too big, but trust me, they fit and work just fine. Just push on then hard and they will go in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Late 2012 27" iMac After Changing Slot Order, April 30, 2013
I initially installed this memory in the already-open slots 1 and 3 (the factory RAM was in slots 2 and 4) and got 3 beeping sounds and no bootup. After following the advice of another reviewer here, I turned it back off, opened the memory compartment back up, and swapped the positions of the factory RAM and the Crucial RAM so it went like this:

Slot 1: 4GB Apple RAM (Top slot if iMac is upright)
Slot 2: 8GB Crucial RAM
Slot 3: 4GB Apple RAM
Slot 4: 8GB Crucial RAM (Bottom slot if iMac is upright)

That worked fine and I now have 24GB of RAM installed on the Late 2012 27" iMac.

Tip 1: the Crucial RAM is a tight fit in the memory slots. To get them back out to swap their positions, I first had to remove the Apple RAM so that I could get a better grip on the Crucial RAM.

Tip 2: I had difficulty getting the memory access panel off of the iMac because my finger wasn't going far enough in to depress the button all the way. I used a small key (a screwdriver would work too) to push the button in all the way to get the access panel to pop open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for Macbook pro 13" 2011 early !!!, June 10, 2013
I spent a lot of time to make sure Macbook 2011 13" (i5 2.3G) will run 1600MHZ. Mixed views all around. Worried this would not work, I actually ordered a set of 16GB 1333MHz from Crucial at over $110 on Amazon, turned out to be not good and had to do a refund. You can guess how surprised I was to spend less than $90 here and have a much better product.

My Macbook Pro 13" 2011 early, which "offcially" states only support 1333MHz, instantly picked up 1600MHz 16 GB without any problem.

My old setting was 8GB 1333MHz. I used to run Photoshop and other Adobe products, Windows 8 on Parallel Desktop and few browsers and many others softwares for web design purpose all at the same time. It would stuck here and there, esp. Photoshop, actually always stuck - made it the reason I want to improve my memory.

It proved to be a wise decision. Now, with all major programmes running, I have no problem. Now I can have a smooth Photoshop and Windows at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for new 27" iMac (late 2012 model)!!, January 16, 2013
I have always had great experiences with crucial memory and this was no exception! I purchased a set of these to bump up the RAM in my new 27" iMac from 8GB to 24GB and it worked like a charm! My computer is running faster than ever now, and I doubt I will ever have to add any additional RAM to it. However, if I ever do, I will gladly buy another set of these to max out my RAM to 32GB.

Additionally, this product is SO much cheaper than buying from Apple. To bump my RAM from 8GB to 16GB would have cost $200 if I had purchased from Apple! With this product, I am now sitting at 24GB at less than 1/2 the cost of an additional 8GB of RAM from Apple. I could not recommend this product highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro & it Works on 2012 Models too, January 8, 2014
ReneB (Upstate NY) - See all my reviews
I'm pleased to report that indeed, 16 GB of RAM does work correctly in the 2011 MacBook Pro, and, it is even recognized at it's full speed: 1600 MHz. All the functions of the MacBook Pro work correctly, including waking from sleep. Having this much RAM may seem like too much, but it is great if one uses several programs at a time or works with large datasets or image files.

Installing this RAM is relatively easy. There are instructions in the MacBook Pro's User Manual and online at Apple Support; even nicer instructions with step-by-step pictures can be found at sites like ifixit. Basically all one has to do is remove the screws on the bottom of the case, being careful to keep track of location of three of the screws that are longer than the rest.

As for quality of the Crucial RAM, the actual memory chips are by Micron, a respected manufacturer that supplies Crucial with most of the RAM they sell. After installing the RAM, I used the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) to verify that this RAM worked as it should in my MacBook Pro. I followed up on the AHT by running Memtest overnight to test the RAM - it passed with flying colors!

You may wonder how come it's ok to use 16 GB of RAM when Apple specified a maximum of 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM for the 2011 series of MacBook Pro laptops? As you can see if you peruse the web, there are many, many reports of users installing and successfully using a maximum of 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pro laptops. The reason why Apple specified only 8GB as a maximum is that when these MacBook Pros were released, RAM modules denser than 4GB were not available in the appropriate sized SO-DIMM. With the subsequent improvement in RAM manufacturing technology, it's now possible to use up to 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pros. It's simply the case that Apple has not upgraded the specifications of the 2011 MacBook Pro.

In sum, if you are considering increasing the RAM in your MacBook Pro, and it's a 2011 model, it's safe to use this DDR3 1600 MHz RAM instead of the 1333 MHz RAM. You may ask why would one want to use 1600MHz vs. 1333 MHz. I choose to do so because, surprisingly, the 1600 MHz version was actually cheaper than the slower 1333 MHz type. It may not always be the case because RAM prices are very volatile, but it bears checking into if you are shopping for new RAM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, huge speed bump, October 4, 2012
Worked perfectly right after installation on my baseline mid 2012 MBP 13". Great performance boost. Runs win 7 on parallels seamlessly, just as if was just another light app. Completely worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars good price for a lot of memory. test it!, October 12, 2013
Mac Mini MD388, 16GB crucial memory installed right after purchase of Mini. I dismissed the occasional system crashes as tolerable until they happened twice in one day. Then I ran the Apple hardware test, which appears when you hold the D key down on startup (press it right after the Mac startup boing sound). The hardware test offers quick or detailed testing. Quick test is probably just a sampling test across available memory. The Crucial memory failed. I didn't need to run the detailed test to discover badness.

Consider what happens or could happen if you run for a few weeks with faulty memory. You save images from your camera into your photo library -- Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom -- you buy and download music, applications, etc. And it passes through possibly bad memory onto the hard disk. Was any of what you wrote to disk corrupted as it passed through? Maybe a few bits (ones and zeros) representing, say, the color of your child's eyes change from blue to red as those bits pass through bad memory. iPhoto won't know that red eyes are wrong, and will write that data to disk as your permanent record. You might never know.

(Technically, this scenario is a simplification. Bad memory could instead cause application crashes or any number of other ill effects. If you're lucky, the Mac will detect problems on startup and play a sad sound instead of the Mac startup boing; then you'd have a pretty solid case for immediate return/exchange of bad memory.)

Too much time has passed for me to do a nice and easy Amazon exchange or return, so I've gone to the somewhat clunky Crucial returns web page. Crucial has said that they will issue an RMA and, I suppose, send replacement modules in due time and after the proper hoops have been jumped.

The 16GB seemed to work well. If I'd had many apps running simultaneously, the difference between 16 and the stock 4GB would probably have been tremendous. The next step will be, at some point down the road, a Pro Samsung SSD, which will almost certainly make a far more noticeable improvement in speed. Another family member has a Retina MacBook Pro with an SSD; though the rMBP has a lesser processor than the Mini, it's massively faster.

Learn from my mistake: TEST YOUR NEW MEMORY!

Happy computing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Upgrade for you Macbook Pro Mid 2012, April 5, 2014
I was looking for an upgrade for my Macbook Pro 13” (mid 2012), and after many days of indecision and seek information between CORSAIR VENGEANCE and CRUCIAL, i do finally bought CRUCIAL 16GB KIT.

I’m an IT Database Manager, and i wanted to run Virtual Machines on my mac, now i’m able to run VMs (Linux OS running Oracle Databases and Windows VM with SQL 2012). Everything works very smoothy and pretty awesome.

So i do recommend the 16 GB Crucial Memory kit. It works despite what apple says about just supporting 8 GB of RAM, so i hope this review help you. i also post some photos.

I ordered Prime and within three days i received ‘em… Great shipping services…