Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 9, 2010
Installed this on a Gigabyte i7 MB with Sata 6G onboard. Read speeds are indeed high, I ran ATTO benchmark on it and here's some numbers,
16k 117M Write 180M Read
64k 105M Write 292M Read
128k 139M Write 307M Read
The numbers stayed pretty close to the 128k size with a max read of 324M and 138M for writting.
These test where done on an ntfs format with default cluster sizes on
Windows 7 x64
i7 950 @ 3.6G
12G Ram @1500
55 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2010
Installed this SSD in 15" MacBook Pro mid 2010 as a primary hard drive.
Followed instructions provided on lifehacker: do a search on "optibay".
No problems were encountered whatsoever.
Used MCE OptiBay to house the original hard drive. Made the SSD a primary drive
I never cared much for improved boot time (though it does not hurt), but launching of the applications is INSTANTANEOUS.
on April 1, 2011
Summary: The SSD itself in this package totally rocks and it worthy of 5 stars; the included cable and software got the job done, but could have more helpfully partitioned the drive for better performance. This SSD gave a lagging two year old laptop a new lease on life. If you can do a clean Windows 7 install, just buy the SSD itself (Crucial Technology 256 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1). If you must upgrade, then align your partition after upgrading.

I have an HP HDX18 Laptop with a sad little 5400 RPM hard drive. The laptop has a P8400 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo processor and was running Windows Vista when I started the replacement process. I noticed my drive light was on almost all the time with several apps I run that hit the disk; games were also unplayable due to delays loading graphics assets. I purchased this particular drive because of it's awesome random write performance and reliability. The HP is only SATA 2 (3GB/s), but you're only missing out on a little bit more sequential read performance. My goal was to switch master drives and upgrade to Windows 7. I switched drives first, than upgraded.

It is best with an SSD to do a clean install of Windows 7; that will enable TRIM, disable a few other options, and partition the drive correctly on a 1MB boundary. Because I had lots of software installed and didn't want to reinstall, I opted for this version of the drive that includes an SATA to USB cable and software to transfer the old files. That process worked well from a file standpoint, but it copied the old Windows Vista recovery partition (wasted space) and did not align the partitions on the correct boundary. This resulted in a significant random read/write performance hit when I tested with AS SSD, and reduced sequential numbers as well. One solution is to do a clean install, but I ended up purchasing the Paragon Alignment Tool which cost money but made quick work of the problem. I upgraded the system to Windows 7 and killed the second partition, expanding the first, then ran the alignment tool. After alignment, the drive hits the high benchmark numbers you'll find on the web. The system now feels super responsive, and intense applications and games load many times faster. The SSD saved me the need to upgrade to a newer system. Now I want an SSD at work :-)
on November 4, 2010
I purchased an Asus Core I7 notebook. The notebook was pretty fast, however, since i already used an old 60GB OCZ ssd drive on my old Dell computer, i decided to purchase a new ssd.

First, i ran the Passmark Performance Test on the computer i just bought, here in Amazon. I used it to benchmark the speed of the 7200 rpm harddrive that came with it. Then i installed my old OCZ and benchmarked it. Here are the results:

sequential read / sequential write / random seek + rw / disk mark (first 3 are mbytes transfered per second)
7200rpm hd : 66.7 / 88.5 / 4.58 / 577.8
old ocz ssd: 51.9 / 46.1 / 11.7 / 396.7

As expected, the random access even on this old ssd is still higher than in the new 7200rpm hd.

Now the results with the Crucial ssd:

crucial: 236.3 / 136.1 / 87.0 / 1661.6

As you can see, the results are far greater with this wonderful ssd.

What does this benchmark translates into actual windows speed? Everything now is almost instantaneous. With the 7200 rpm drive, the windows booted, then the screen appears, then a few moments later msn appeared and then some moments later the windows live mail appeared.

Now with this drive, as soon as the windows screen appears, both msn and windows live mail appear at the same time!

A must-have, 6 stars.

Ps: i purchased this drive because it was the third faster in this benchmark:

[...].

And the price was affordable.

regards

guich
[...]
on October 9, 2010
This is first SATA III ssd from Crucial. It's lighting fast. 350MB/s read and 140MB/s write. No regret.
Windows experience index shot to 7.9. No hicups.
on March 8, 2011
I was a very early adopter of SSD drives, when you were regularly losing everything to firmware updates for fixing huge bugs. I've mostly owned OCZ products, and while they're great for the enthusiast, it was never something I'd recommend to a layman to use. Installing windows with my last Vertex 2 was a bit of a pain, requiring me to format and diskpart the drive in another system first. Once it was up and running, great drive, very snappy.

With my tax money this year I decided to try the Crucial after reading a few favorable reviews and trying some of them at work for a database server.

I got the drive this morning (yay Amazon Prime), put it in a fresh system I was building, popped in the Windows 7 disk and was installed and ready to go in less than 40 minutes, which definitely included a coffee break for me :) Nothing special to do, no nonsense, windows found the drive, formatted it and installed perfectly. In the last couple of hours playing with the system, installing things, restoring programs and data, I can't believe how much faster and more responsive this drive feels even over the Vertex 2 from OCZ. Its certainly not the quantum leap from platter to SSD, but its definitely an incremental speed increase over the Vertex 2.

I'm using my vertex 2 drives as gaming drives from now on, this will be my main OS drive.

Buy this drive, it's amazing.
on February 23, 2011
Pricewise, it will make you pause to catch your breath, but it's worth it. This is now the main drive in my game machine. Paired with my Phenom II X4 running at 3.44 GHz it boots Win7 Ultimate in about 15 seconds, and it's completely silent. In terms of performance gain this is hands down the best improvement I've made to my system. A better return on investment than buying a faster processor IMO. I'm not grading it for reliability since I've only had it 6 months, but with no moving parts, I expect it to be more reliable than a standard drive.
on February 22, 2011
Great piece of hardware, noticeably lightened up the 17'' laptop as the SSD is super light, sped it up quite a bit too, and made it more reliable. Worth the money if your business or work depends on it in any way. The upgrade kit is the way to go, easy to to clone existing drive. Amazon is great to deal with, thank you!
on May 2, 2011
This thing is just silly fast. It's really very ridiculously fast.

I love love love this drive and with the latest firmware revision (7) it seems to have all the issues ironed out. Definitely shines on on a sata6 connection.

New Vertex3 drive is out that is even more ridiculously fast than this one, but to be honest I don't think I actually do anything with my computer that would let me notice the difference. Everything is already loading instantly.

I did create a ram disk and move my temp directory and browser cache to it. This helps to avoid a lot of unecessary writes on the SSD.

Great technology that is evolving fast, I can't even imagine where it will be in 5 years.
on October 24, 2010
If you're looking for a SSD, you must be aware of its pro's and con's of the technology.
That said, this drive is insanely fast. Booting or opening large files take no time at all.
I could have bought the larger model - 256gb, instead of 128gb - which has higher writing speed, but time spent in writing files is not an issue for me.
If you're tired of waiting close a minute to boot, that's your drive.
BTW, as of today, 10/24/10, firmware 2 is built in, so you don't have to wory about it.