Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As the personal life story of a woman who decides to become a flight attendant, this book is mildly entertaining. It tells plenty of stories about what it's like to be a flight attendant: the crazy hours, the insane living arrangements, the kooky passengers.

If you're thinking of becoming a flight attendant, this book should be required reading. She details the process of interviewing and the intense training that she endured, along with what her schedule is like and how miserable the existence is for the first few months.

The trouble I had with the book was that the more interesting experiences were, for the most part, quite short. A paragraph about the time she caught someone having sex in the airplane bathroom, a sentence about the time someone threw up on her. It seemed a bit frazzled, always jumping from one anecdote to another, without fleshing them out. The longer stories tended to be about the author's personal life--her struggle to find someplace to live in New York City, what it was like to be a flight attendant on a privately owned jet, her attempts to find someone to date. Many of these experiences seemed to begin abruptly, without any introduction or transition. One second she's talking about serving lunch on a flight to Paris and the next she's talking about her mother becoming a flight attendant as well, and the next, she's jetting off to Las Vegas on a celebrity's private plane. I found it a bit confusing, to be honest. I couldn't keep track of when or where the story was taking place, because she jumped around so much.

There were a few useful tips. For instance, if you suffer from motion sickness, book a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible. There's less turbulence up front as opposed to the tail section, which tends to be quite bumpy. It was also interesting to learn that flight attendants don't get paid to stand around and greet you, or help you with your luggage. They're only "on the clock" once the plane is in the air.

Three stars, because while it is an interesting peek into the life of a flight attendant, it was quite scattered and hard to read at times. Take my review with a grain of salt, however, because memoirs aren't my usual cup of tea. This one looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a shot, expand my horizons and all that--but I wasn't wholly impressed.
22 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book reminded me of the Nanny Diaries and Kitchen Confidential, in which you get to hear all of the crazy things that go on and you wonder why anyone would keep a job like that. It's a fun read, especially if you fly a lot.

The author has an amazing attitude considering all she has had to deal with on a daily basis in her career. There are funny and interesting stories about celebrity encounters, medical injuries from turbulence, airline rules for employees and, most of all, crazy passengers.

This is a quick read, and it would be great to read on a plane. The book jacket says she is still is a flight attendant, and I hope the proceeds from the book get her a better crash pad apartment. A few nights living where she has to would have been enough to make me quit.
on April 5, 2012
Maybe I was thinking about what this book was differently, but I expected more behind the scene details of what happens with airlines, personnel etc. I thought she was trying to be too cute with her prose and entertaining with her style for my taste. Also I personally wasn't interested in her ex-boyfriends. Sorry, I thought it was fairly poor except for a few chapters.
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a frequent flier on the same airline that the author works for, I've had my fair share of airline craziness over the years. I'm always enjoyed reading books like this because it's a mirror to view yourself in.

Compared to other books about the drama and adventures of being a flight attendant, like Plane Insanity: A Flight Attendant's Tales of Sex, Rage, and Queasiness at 30,000 Feet or others, there's nothing new or interesting that hasn't been covered. It takes a special sort of person to want to become a flight attendant, and an even more special sort to write a book detailing their adventures. Unfortunately, it's all been said before.

The book is entertaining enough that it will pass the time on a flight, but other books like Flying by the Seat of My Pants: Flight Attendant Adventures on a Wing and a Prayer are better written and have a more interesting and funnier tone than this book.
on July 31, 2013
As a professional nonfiction writer I think I may be more tolerant than others when it comes to writing. As long as the writing makes sense and is entertaining and informative--well organized, original, that's usually enough for me.

This is poorly organized, episodic, anecdotal, clichéd, and confusing. I really had trouble understanding many parts of it. On the other hand, it's not pretentious or trying to be more than it is. I just don't think it's good writing, and I think I could have spent my time better on something else.

I hope others enjoy this book more than I did.
on July 16, 2013
"Well-written and fun" describe CRUISING ATTITUDE. Reading it, one appreciates the training that goes into becoming an air steward/ess, from the amount of information to be learned and to the number of applicants who do not meet the standards. This is one of those books that is better than it first appears, for it is both a good read - entertaining - and information-filled.
on October 5, 2014
I read it and learned some interesting tidbits about the airline industry, but I was at times overwhelmed by the self-aggrandizement of the author.. she really seems to think she is quite a special lady, being a flight attendant and occasionally interacting with the rich and famous. A bit more humility and/or understanding that being around "important" people does not make oneself important, would have been appreciated. A light read.
on March 1, 2014
I worked for an airline for 26 years and quite a few of them in the air.....she had some crazy experiences I must say
and I believe she exaggerated quite a lot to make it humorous and I could predict what she was going to say
before she said it. but,..... I persisted and read it from cover to cover......
on March 16, 2012
I had great hopes when I purchased this book. I am a frequent flyer with great respect for the attendants and was looking forward to reading some of their stories. However, I found this was like reading someones blog. It was disjointed and carried a tiresome complaining tone to the book. I'm sorry I wasted my time and money.
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to say I wondered why somebody would want to be a flight attendant, but, then, I never go anywhere and can't stand dealing with the public. LOL! The descriptions of the training process curl my hair, but Heather's writing style is quite engaging. There are some handy hints for the traveling public sprinkled in, such as "If you go to the first-class lav and catch a flight attendant eating what you think should be your meal, don't get upset! Chances are that one of the pilots decided not to eat at the last minute." (p. 168) Some parts are even downright laugh out loud funny, as you might expect. I read this one straight through in one day it was so interesting. VERY highly recommended!