Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

The black 5 Million Dollar Home is a rugged yet stylish camera bag, sort of a chubby mini messenger. Here's what I thought about it after taking it out for a spin:

INTERIOR space is well padded and lined with soft red cloth: easy to see inside and kind to camera delicates. The two velcro secured dividers may be repositioned or removed. The rigid dividers have hinged wings and easily support the grip of a top-loaded camera (lens pointed down). Dividers are thin and inexpensive feeling compared to the plush dividers of the prior 5 Mill model (2009-2013).

It's snug but my 70D with 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM (reversed hood) barely squeezes in along with a 430EX II Speedlite and EF 35 2.0 IS USM. The 70D sits slightly below the top edge of the compartment. This bag stretches and molds to your gear, so what's snug at first loosens up after a month or two. Nevertheless, interior space is tight and best suited for a small DSLR, e.g., Rebel T5i/SL1, or ILC, e.g., Olympus OM-D/E-P3.

EXTERIOR of this bag is a black Cordura-like fabric and more clothing friendly than prior 5 Mill designs. There's a large front pocket for flat items like filters and a zippered rear pocket for tickets, passports, etc. Like prior 5 Mills, accessories, e.g., a pouch, may be attached to the side loops. Finally, semi-rigid reinforcing material in the walls, bottom and dividers help keep its shape full or empty and offer excellent protection. The downside to this stiffness is the bag can't be flattened for packing in a suitcase.

Here's Crumpler's official exterior specs: 8.66" H x 9.65" W x 6.1" D and 1.32 LB (interior dimensions not indicated). I carefully measured the 5 Mill and got somewhat different numbers:

EXTERIOR MEASUREMENTS: 8" H (including handle, 9") x 11" W (top) x 8" W (bottom) x 5" D (6" including tightly buckled flap)

INTERIOR MEASUREMENTS: 6.75" H x 7" W (top) x 4" D

I own the previous 5 Mill and was disappointed the new design is about 20% smaller in height and depth. I can easily fit my 70D/15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM with mounted hood (not reversed!) in the old 5 Mill. The new 5 Mill requires shoehorning in my 70D and removing or reversing the hood or the lid won't close.

Strap webbing is similar to 2" wide car seatbelt material. Unfortunately, it lacks a shoulder pad and you need one if you stuff the bag. I added a comfy Timbuk2 Deluxe Messenger Bag Strap Pad.

USING THE 5 MILL: The 5 Mill is featherlight and great to work from on bike or foot. With flap secured with velcro, it's quick on the draw: one handed flap lift and the top loaded camera is out in a second. I rock the 5 Mill like a satchel--sling style--and, with the before mentioned Timbuk2 Deluxe Messenger Bag Strap Pad, it's a comfortable carry: bag weight is evenly distributed across the shoulder and chest, making it feel lighter. Without the pad, not so much unless lightly loaded, e.g., Olympus Pen and kit lens. Finally, although the 5Mill is stiff at first, it molds to your body, feeling more comfy with repeated use.

Crumpler claims weather resistance and I put it to the test hiking on Oahu's Koʻolau mountains. A sudden downpour soaked me to the core (no shelter for miles) but not a drop got inside the 5 Mill! The lid sports gussets on the sides, helping keep out dust and rain.

FINAL BLURB: I'm disappointed with the thin dividers and smaller capacity of this 5 Mill compared to prior models, but it still has a lot going for it: great build, stylish, protective, lightweight and fast on the draw. And the slim profile makes it ideal for needling through crowded city streets and public transportation. If you're a gear minimalist planning to carry a small DSLR or mirrorless system, the 5 Million Dollar Home is an excellent choice.
on April 6, 2014
I had gotten this bag to store and carry my DSLR and its various lenses and bits. As others have mentioned its an odd shaped bag and doesn't have a lot of organization. Its one big open space with 2 dividers. It can easily handle a small/medium body and its lens and 2 other lenses. If you have a bigger semi-pro body I am guessing it would handle the body, lens and one other lens.

Crumplers are supposed to be for people who want a camera bag that does not look like a camera bag. It looks like a camera bag to me. Go figure. I bought it before I realized that I am a lot more comfortable with a backpack or sling. Even though you can wear it like a sling, you won't. Trust me.

Pros: The bag is exceptionally well made. Mine has 2 clips on the flap and not one. Inside the flap there is a zippered mesh compartment to store odds and ends.

The inside is covered with this soft material that lets you put the dividers wherever you would like which is nice.

Cons: Here is a list…

-The strap is not detachable. It would be nice if it came off.

-The strap is not padded. Though its a very tough strap that appears to be the same material as car seat belts it has no padding. They say it will break in. Good luck with that. You load up this bad with a DSLR and 2 lenses + accessories and you let me know how it feels on your body.

-There is no rain cover. The competition usually comes with one.

-The bottom does not have feet and its not thickened up/armored.

-The bag and strap is not ergonomic. Its just a big piece of canvas with a strap. If you load this bag up and put this across your body it will cut right into your neck. When you walk it will be banging into you. If you put it on just the shoulder without slinging it across you will have all this weight on your one side.

I would put this bag as just ok. If you are just going to put in your car and move it from point A to point B and not carry it, than its fine. Otherwise I would not want to drag this around with me all day. Its very uncomfortable, I would rather carry my stuff in a sling or backpack.

For what it costs you can buy a very nice camera backpack from Lowepro, Tamrac or Kata that will be 100x more comfortable than this. Even a basic model from any of these companies has padded straps.
on July 15, 2012
This bag rules, it's perfect for day trips and shooting concerts. I love the fact that they added Velcro silencers, the old version used to make noise when shooting events, so this new feature is great.

For a compact bag i can get my 5D with 4 lenses, 580 flash, light meter and memory card case in there comfortably.
I have a Billingham bag that I use as well, but it's not as good, because I find it way more difficult to get my lenses in and out of the billingham bag.

I strongly recommend this bag for all people from entry level photographers to professionals, the 5 Million bag is the way to go.
on July 10, 2012
This bag keeps my camera and equipment very secure. I lvoe the interchangable velcro pieces so I can create spaces where I need them. I also feel like the amount of padding is just right- not too much to make it overly bulky but not too little that I'm worried about bumping in to something. It feels like everything fits perfectly, is safe, and is really easy to get in and out- the 3 most important things in a camera bag!
on April 1, 2014
I bought this for my Canon 5D and 2-3 lenses. It ended up too small and the pocket is not deep enough. So I bought the 7 Million Dollar Bag, and it works great! Great quality bag with very practical design. I highly recommend it!
on December 8, 2014
I got a new Canon DSLR with a 18-55mm kit bundled with a 75-300mm lens, and this bag is absolutely perfect. Everything fits all cozy without being loose or tight, and the camera strap sits on top for easy access. The bag has exactly the right amount of space. It sits comfortably about my hip, and doesn't stick out awkwardly. I instantly fell in love with this bag, and that feeling to me is worth every penny more this bag costs compared to the Lowepro Event Messenger 100. So if you're looking for a stylish camera bag for a DSLR and an extra lens, look no further. The 4 Million Dollar Home model will probably be too small (like the Lowepro). The 5 Million Dollar Home will not disappoint.
on September 8, 2012
I don't like bags that scream "I'm a camera bag" for obvious reasons. This bag is roomy for a small DSLR plus 2 lenses and spare batteries and cards. Perfect!
on June 13, 2014
I needed a smaller bag for my D600 and a spare lens for our trip to Europe. I didn't have room in my bag for my full size camera bag. This really fit the bill. It is light enough that I didn't mind carrying it all day. And it provides great protection for my camera.
on April 24, 2013
Bought this to carry my Fuji X-E1 plus 14mm, 35mm and 60mm lenses plus cards and batteries on a two week trip to Europe and beyond. The 'velcro silencer' doesn't seem to make much sense to me ... you have to double it over on itself to use the velcro which is awkward and not too effective. The whole bag is much stiffer than I expected and using the internal flaps to stack lenses isn't quite as nice as videos suggest. However, it will certainly serve the purpose, seems to ride well over the shoulder, has enough room for everything it needs to hold and won't draw a lot of attention.
on December 21, 2013
This bag fits all my equipment, great for travel. Agree with others when they state wish it had a shoulder pad. I currently fit my canon 70D with the 18-135 kit attached, and two other lenses: the 50/f1.4 and 55/250, as well as an extra battery and charger. I hope to fit an external flash when I get one (i think it will accommodate). I like that everything is snug and secure/protected with the velcro adjustable compartment separators. the zipper pocket in the back doesn't really fit anything, except maybe an iPhone.

Also, this time I ordered through amazon for 2 day free shipping, but Ive ordered through crumpled directly previously, and they have excellent customer service (they shipped a bag I needed with the wrong kind of delivery - 5 day instead of 2) and I called them and they shipped one right away expedited, to make it just in time for a trip! Even before I had time to return the extra bag. Great company.

See 1 answered question