4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, dancey workout
Published on January 30, 2011 by atisheh

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun workout, a couple of issues though
Crunch Cardio Go-Go Dance runs approximately 41 minutes with warmup and cooldown. Instructor Gypsy Clark does a reasonably good job with cueing. Very personable instructor, although I didn't need to hear how "hot" I was every few minutes!

Published on December 25, 2007 by Fitness Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun workout, a couple of issues though, December 25, 2007
Fitness Fan (Fullerton, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)

There's some impact in this one but I found it easy to modify. I didn't have any issues with doing this one on carpet.

There's some Go-Go type dancing in this workout, but there's also some fun 50's burlesque style dancing (think Gypsy Rose Lee) which I had fun doing. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get the heartrate up there, but I can't elevate my heartrate with my Island Girl hula workouts either...this is just some fun dancing stuff.

The music was adequate...however, there's one section in the workout where the music didn't match the movement. I'm guessing that Crunch couldn't get the license to the music piece they wanted and subbed another music piece in, which was a tiny bit slower tempo than what the dancers were using. I recognized it from Crunch Cardio Salsa...it didn't really work for the dance moves in the section. It was a little off-putting seeing the dancers one beat ahead of myself...Crunch REALLY should have fixed the music in that section before releasing the DVD. But it's just 5 minutes out of the 41 minutes of workout, so I'll survive.

Recommend to intermediates with some dance experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just go take a walk outside, October 12, 2007
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
This video was okay, and this is coming from someone who loves dance based workout DVDs. It was a lot of bouncing around instead of true dancing. The instructor is easy to follow and her directions are clear enough, but I found her dancers to be a bit on the annoying side. I also didn't get what was so "go-go" dance about it. It jumped from jazz to hip hop to latin...didn't flow well. However, like another reviewer mentioned, the movements are sexy and feminine. I would say a person who has 2 left feet wouldn't enjoy this video too much.

It does give you a low-impact aerobic workout, but I don't think you'd magically lose 20 pounds doing this video, you'd need a more challenging video. Regardless, I worked up a sweat but I found myself a bit bored and wondering how much longer I had until the workout was over. A bit too cheesy and silly for my taste. Richard Simmons DVD's it is!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, silly, keeps you moving, but very corny moves, November 24, 2007
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
Courtney Gypsy Clarke has a very upbeat & cute personality & always encouraging. She has 6 backup girls all different ethnics & one who actually doesn't have rock hard abs. They all stay perky with her & don't seem bored at all during this 40 min workout.
The moves start up mostly about shoulder rolls & shakes ala burlesque style in the warm up for 4 min, but goes quickly to go-go style, a hint of latin (salsa & cha-chas), a lot of 60s (pony), 70s disco, a touch of hip hop & the cool down had some body rolls.
You learn a move, repeat it 4-5x or more, then build up into a routine after every new move after that. There are about 4-5 different routines you learn.
All the moves are relatively easy, she broke down one or 2 moves that she thought might need it. She never goes half speed or slower. She doesn't give any body movement cues that will help you to figure it out anymore then mimicking by watching, just mostly calls out the name she gives the move.
Most of the moves were corny in my opinion, she even throws in hops for no reason other then to build up the heart rate & a couple moves just had kicking forward, I was thinking, "What, are we doing kickboxing now?" If it was suppose to be a hip hop move, I wouldn't know, it just looked silly. There were a few moves I did like, but only about 20% of it. After 30 min, I just stood there, FFWing until I saw a move that looked interesting & wanted to try. I like Gypsy, I liked the pace of the workout, the repetition & routine style & hope there's another dvd with more recent moves that are more sensual/fluid instead of jumpy, child-like cute.
Beginners would like this, those who like corny dances like Yoga Booty Ballet does (though I love their yoga/toning), and people who exercise somewhat regularly could use this as a light day.

You can see a preview at collagevideo com & on youtube under "Crunch Cardio Go Go Dance" from totalfitnessdvds

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, dancey workout, January 30, 2011
atisheh (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I have one negative thing to say about this video, and a number of positive remarks, so I'll begin with the negative: the Gypsy Clark's high-pitched, grainy voice kind of drives me nuts. Now, after forty minutes of hearing it and having endorphins coursing through my body, I no longer had a nails-on-chalkboard reaction to it, but oh were the first ten minutes ever hard.

Now for the positive: first of all, this is the first Crunch dance-based DVD I've done that actually felt like dancing. I don't know what it is about cardio-style dancing, but that cha-cha and that hip-hop never seem anywhere close to the real thing. There's something so weirdly controlled, so robotic, about cardio instructors' dance movements. It's like someone took my croissant and made it whole-grain. I'm sure it's better for me, but it tastes funny. That said, I've grown to like them, even Marie Forleo in all her strangeness. I'd rather do a fake cha cha than twenty jumping jacks. But Cardio Go-Go Dance actually feels like dancing. It's only one kind of dance for the full DVD (no medley of "Latin heat" or whatever), and a lot of the moves felt like what I might do naturally in a club.

What I expected even less was this: so many of the movements were bellydance movements! Chest lifts and shimmies, hip bumps and lifts, omis, and so on. The mood and the music are completely different, but I think the video would be a great way for bellydancers to do some cardio that would warm up exactly the muscles they use, but with a wholly different vibe.

Finally, I really liked the fact that the backup dancers/exercisers varied in the way they performed, or danced, the movements. In fact, some of them did the movements in a more dancey, if not as intense, way than Gypsy Clark. Watching them I got a sense of how the video could be done more as a dance warmup than as a typical cardio workout. (Though yes -- I did find that woman to her left kind of freaky too.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much, November 21, 2007
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I agree with the 3 stars, and I'll even go lower. I LOVE most of the Crunch workouts - I have a bunch. This one, though, was really disappointing. Like another reviewer, I didn't think there was anything "go-go" about it - the music was something you hear at a retirement home, the women in the workout were absolutely ridiculous, and the dances were far from challenging - even the warm up didn't warm me up. If you really want a workout stick to the Boot Camps, the Total Resculpt and the Cardio Sculpt. I also really like the ones with Ellen Barrett which I alternate with the more challenging ones - and my latest favorite is the Bikini Body one. I didn't care for the Salsa one either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute But Cheesy, July 8, 2008
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
This DVD definately keeps you moving, but it is straight out of the 80's. I'm not really in to 80's aerobics and had hoped that this DVD would be sexier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it could have been worse....., February 2, 2008
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I got this DVD because I am trying to do some lower impact things to let an injury heal. I liked that it was lower impact but it still got my heart rate up. It was no where near as cheesy as Denise Austin's Cardio Dance and Sculpt. However, it was not very exciting. It was fun and cute but not a real workout. Maybe I will use it as a warm up for pilates or yoga or for days when I don't want to work out because this is better than nothing.

I think this would be great for pre-teens and teens. I know the title makes it sound a little questionable, but it really was not at all. It was tamer than most hiphop and jazz classes I have taken.

If you are looking for a fun, cutesy dance workout or something to get you moving on days when you'd rather stay in bed, this is for you. If you are looking for a real workout, keep looking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, September 14, 2007
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I enjoyed this dvd workout. If you like dance aerobics, then you will enjoy this. The steps are easy and though you work up a sweat, it's not too intense. You still get a good calorie burn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but nothing spectacular, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I read the reviews before I purchased this and felt the reviews were all over the place as to what people interpret this DVD to be, therefore I wasn't sure what to expect.
I am a moderateley experienced dancer who was looking for a DVD to give me more ideas on dance techniques, and to provide a choreographed dance routine to dance along with. I feel this DVD failed me in those aspects because it does not provide either of those qualities...to ME.
The dance moves are your very basic dance moves that you have learned if you have ever been out dancing in any club. I did not learn any new moves from this DVD.
Also, everything is broken down into step-by-step form which is great for learning how to dance the moves, but then the next routine is started so there is never a part where you actually dance along for a steady amount of time (hence missing the choreographed dance routine that I was looking for).
I get really pumped up dancing along to music, and the music is barely audible in this DVD. I think they do that so that beginners can really focus on learning the dance moves, but it bored me.
Some reviews said the girl hosting the show is corny with her "oh yah's" and what not, but I felt she did a great job in keeping the enthusiasm going for the routines. I also felt she did a good job at teaching the moves (even though I already knew them lol).
I give this video an A for effort~there is enthusiasm and great teaching techniques exercised. But it is a very basic, beginner dance DVD. I would call it more of an aerobic dance DVD, not a go-go DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tried Very Hard to Like it, September 22, 2010
sk (miami beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance (DVD)
I really wanted this DVD and tried really hard to like it. I used it several times and though it has all the right elements for me - upbeat, dance like, instructor is likeable, fast moving- I still have not really enjoyed as much as the other Crunch videos.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance
Crunch: Cardio Go-Go Dance by Gypsy Clark (DVD - 2007)
$9.98 $3.89