on July 26, 2009
I suffer from chronic back problems (2 herniated lumbar discs). I work in an office environment, and I also have a morning commute of at least 45 minutes.

These are the only cold packs that I use to reduce swelling. Most other cold packs lose their coldness after 1-2 hours. These last 3-5 hours. The 8 hour claim is a bit of marketing hype, but it's still better than anything else I've purchased.
on February 17, 2010
I have Cryomax ice packs in several sizes, use them daily, and like them tremendously! They stay cold longer than any other product I've tried--though they get warmer as time passes--long enough to move back and forth multiple times between different areas at 20 minute intervals. The cover feels very cozy against bare skin, and the elastic strap holds the ice pack in place against my back or wrapped around my knee or elbow (6x12" size.) The 6x6" size is nice for a smaller area.

Cryomax ice packs are unlike the "frozen peas" type of cold pack in that they have a grid of rounded bumps which are very firm when frozen, surrounded by a flexible thick gel, so while you can get great conformation, they do feel different than other products. They also need to be replaced eventually.

But all the features listed in the first paragraph make them my favorite ice pack by a wide margin, and I highly recommend them.
on January 27, 2012
These are interesting ice packs with their own idiosyncrasies, but once you adjust to them, you'll want one (or more) in the freezer standing by for use.

What makes them different? As you can see in the photo of the box, there are two types of liquids inclosed in the inner plastic, flat bag. The blue balls, which are flat on one side and rounded on the other, freeze hard as rocks, while the pink fluid around the blue balls stays somewhat malleable.

Be sure to freeze your bag flat, without a crease in the middle or the crease won't have any of the pink fluid. Once completely frozen, it is somewhat difficult to bend, say around a painful knee, but it will go and as it starts to warm up, it will become more malleable as time goes by.

Additional Tips:

1. You must put the "rounded" side of the blue balls against the body part you want iced. The flat side is not as cold.

2. To avoid freezing the skin, I ALWAYS put a wool sock or a thick washcloth between my skin and the icepack. That's because I'm often putting it on as I go to bed and I want the hours of cooling it provides, but don't want to cause tissue damage.

3. Eventually whatever encloses the blue balls of fluid starts to "let go" of the blue stuff and it floats out into the pink fluid and leaves you with an area of your pack with no cold. My current pack, which is about 18 months old and is used 3-6 times a week, is just now experiencing the first blue ball "failures". That is an acceptable life expectancy for as much as I use it, and in light of the fact that I do fold my pack to get it into the freezer compartment with my other ice-packs :-)

This ice pack is our "heavy duty" ice-pack. It's a serious work horse in the chilling business of decreasing the swelling and pain of chronic or acute muscle and joint injuries.
on August 17, 2010
Great cold icepack. Stays cold longer than most. Nice soft cover that stays securely wrapped.
on September 27, 2012
Clay packs don't work at all. A gel pack is cold but only for about 15 minutes and takes at least two hours to refreeze. So I had a medium-size gel pack but I wanted something a little bigger that would stay cold longer.

How prophetic! Ordered this sucker a week ago, threw my back out on Monday, so put the newly-delivered CryoMax in the freezer. I AM IN LOVE! Four hours later... completely frozen! I am on day number four of laid-out back pain and I love that I can get this sucker out and treat for 20-30 minutes then put it back in the freezer for 30 then take it out again. I can do this for about four hours before the ice pack becomes liquid. Or I can take a completely frozen pack and put it on my back when I drive to the doctors, come back outside 40 minutes later to a 100 degree car, and use the still slightly frozen cold ice pack on the drive home. This icy drive is worth MONEY!

So some slight negatives/concerns I had when purchasing:
(1) I was worried about the frozen bubbles being uncomfortable. Frankly I don't notice.
(2) When the pack freezes, it is not bendable. Will take about five minutes on my back before it is moldable.
(3) The size works for a 220lb individual's back.
(4) I've used ice packs for years but this is the first time I've had to worry about cold burns from an ice pack. I think that's a great thing but it is something to be aware of if you are sensitive to cold burns.

As I said, I am in love and I am ordering a second one since I am prone to back issues.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2010
I've had one of these for about 3 years. It is stiff but flexible, not moldable like a pillow. It does not get as hard as a brick. It does get more flexible as it warms. It stays cold all night long. It's great for the 20 minutes on/off routine. I'm getting another one, just in case.
on November 24, 2009
We ordered this product thinking all the little cells would allow it to be moldable to the area needing the cold therapy. Unfortunately the cold pack stays solid like a brick until it is melted, not becoming moldable at all. We are saving them to use as cold packs for our coolers but not for use on the human body.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2012
I love this cold pack. When I first got it, though, I was ready to return it. Why?

First of all, when I took it out of the freezer it was hard and completely inflexible, and I needed a flexible cold pack. But after 15-20 minutes it softened up, and eventually became so flexible I could curl it around my foot.

Second of all, it didn't really feel THAT cold to the touch. Furthermore, the instructions insisted I put it in a fabric pouch before applying it. How was this going to be cold at all?

But amazingly, it actually DOES provide lots of cold when you apply it. I have it on my foot as I write this, and my foot is really cold. But really cold in a good way... it's like just below TOO cold, which is the cold you get if you apply ice directly.

Another thing to keep in mind: it takes a few minutes of applying for the cold to take maximal effect. I've had my pack on for about 20 minutes now, and my foot has kept feeling colder the entire time.

I thought the fabric cover would be a pain and counterproductive, but it's actually great. For one, it absorbs the condensation from the pack. Second, it dries quick, so it's not like you're left with a soaking wet pouch. Third, it keeps the temperature from being TOO cold, allowing you (as the manufacturer claims) to keep the pack on for a longer time than an ice pack. Fourth, the velcro strap on it works great, allowing you to tie it as snugly/loosely as you wish. Fifth, it's soft and comfortable.

And I haven't even mentioned one of the best points about this pack: it stays cold WAY longer than other cold packs I've used.

In sum, I totally recommend this cold pack, but definitely read the instructions when you get it, and be aware of its idiosyncracies before you start using it.
on May 30, 2013
I bought this from Walmart to use after my shoulder surgery. Big mistake. They were out of the gel type at that time, so I gave this a try, but I should have looked elsewhere. Once frozen, CryoMax is very stiff and hard. Letting it thaw for even 30 minutes doesn't help much. It remains hard, bumpy, and uncomfortable. It's very heavy, too. It actually made my shoulder pain worse. So I returned it and bought a gel-type cold pad instead. Relief at last. The gel-type pad is smooth, flexible, and molds to my shoulder, so I get the cooling action without any pain. I'm glad Cryo-Max works for some people (from the reviews, it seems to work best for back pain), but it was a poor choice for me after shoulder surgery. Gel-type cold packs and even a large bag of frozen peas works much better. I'd never use Cryo-Max on my head either for a headache--ouch!
on April 17, 2015
I actually purchased this for my dog. He's a old pomeranian, who even with his short haircut overheats really easily. (If it's above 70, he ain't happy!). During the summer, I throw one of these in his orthopedic bed and toss a blanket on top. He happily jumps in and is snoring in minutes. He stays asleep all night and the pad is still cool to the touch in the morning. I bought two to rotate out, 1 during the night and 1 during the day throughout the summer. And Rufus is mighty happy pup! The plastic coating seems very sturdy and he hasn't popped any of the individual gel bubbles, so it works well for us.
review image