4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew a bow could be this much fun?
Published 19 months ago by Genryu

I'm not sure what it was about Crysis 3 that pretty much caused me to forget I ever played it within hours of seeing the end credits, but that's what happened.

Published 10 months ago by neu Tron

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew a bow could be this much fun?, June 22, 2013
Genryu (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
You can't go too wrong with giving the player a suit packed with all sorts of fun toys like stealth, super-strength, super-speed, hacking abilities, etc. and not expect them to have fun. At its core Crysis 3 is built around giving the player a big playground to play around in where they feel both powerful but still vulnerable enough to keep the challenge up. One of the big additions of this game is the new compound bow and it is just an absolute joy to use. In fact I almost exclusively used the bow without relying on guns at all. Mostly because the bow was just that much fun to use. And it introduces some new tactical elements since though the bow is a 1-shot wonder, it's not very common to find new arrows. So you have to sneak around to go get the arrows you've already used on fallen enemies.

The alien Ceph also introduce their own unique challenge and keep the action exciting and fresh with a mix of enemy types. I don't think the overall story is anything too memorable personally, but I can easily overlook that just given how much fun it is to play through all the various action scenes. They easily carry the game and are what sell it. The multi-player is alright, though to be honest I didn't spend much time on it just because of other games I wanted to play. Its all pretty standard from what I could tell with deathmatch and the like, but with a couple unique ones with mercenaries vs. a crysis-suit player. If you want to be a super-powered cyborg with an even cooler bow to go hunting with, definitely consider picking up this game. I guarantee the first time you go hunting with the bow you'll have a smile on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crysis fans, Rejoice! (4.5/5), February 20, 2013
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First off, I want to issue a bit of a warning come in here for you folks interested in single player. Crysis 3 is short. Much shorter than Crysis 2 and the first game. However, as I write this review, having payed the full amount of cash, I usually don't say this, but here goes: I'm glad I payed the crazy amount of money for Crysis 3. Crysis 3 has made this Crysis fan THIS happy. There is tons of replay value in its excellent, open-ended game play, and the set pieces I found are so outstanding that I can see myself playing through them more than once. I'm more than ready to do so myself. So I'm not at all worried about the short campaign; its sheer re-playable quality over forgettable quantity! Take my word for it, Crysis fans.

In a world where generic, cookie cutter titles clutter the FPS genre, the Crysis series has always been a kick-ass counterpoint to all of the aforementioned clutter. The original Crysis is the second best FPS I've ever played (Half-Life 2 is No. 1), and the series overall is one of the best I've ever played. FPS junkies everywhere rejoice upon playing Crysis, and there's a darn good reason for it. Now, the series is back with Crysis 3, and it's as as predictably awesome as you expect. Amazing visuals, smart gun play, fantastic production values...you know the score. This is an excellent FPS, and its a wonderful continuation of the FPS genre's winning streak with 2012's brilliant Far Cry 3.

We all know the Crysis series is known for its eyeball melting visuals, and Crysis 3 is no different from previous games in the series. Let me just say that Crysis 3 looks absolutely gorgeous, and its a technical marvel to behold. What's even more amazing this time around is the art direction. Everything here just looks so inspired, telling; you feel you are truly in the jungle, and each level has a brilliant aesthetic that with each of the seven natural wonders. Oh, and as usual, sound is absolutely amazing. Explosions are devastating, gunfire sounds absolutely relentless, the Seth sound downright vicious, and the Nano-suit sound effects are empowering. The Crysis series has one of the most visceral use of sound in gaming, and Crysis 3 assaults you like it's no tomorrow. It's oh so worth it. Get your home theater/amazing computer speakers/high quality headphones ready and crank it straight to the top!

Regarding Crysis 3's story, the focused story-telling in the form of scripted sequences doesn't mean much if the content of the story doesn't match up. Fortunately, Crysis 3 has a well told and exciting story that recalls a well done summer blockbuster. This time, Prophet from Crysis returns after a twenty year period to New York City. The city has been taken over by Cell Corporation and converted NYC into a large Eco-dome in order to use the city as a land and technology grab. Through manipulation and whitewashing, Cell Corporation has successfully put into practice their plans of world domination, and hereby looms the end of the world as well. Meanwhile, protagonist must deal with the impending threat and fight his own struggles as a nano-soldier. Fans who followed the tales of their favorite nano-suit soldiers from the beginning will be satisfied by the story. As a fan of the series, I count myself amongst the satisfied. Yeah, Crysis 3 is stellar on the non-game play front in every way.

Now, for game play. Crysis 3 aims to take influences from the best aspects of the two previous titles, while cutting out the worst of each. It merges the focused storytelling of the second game with the emergent sandbox tactics the first game provided. The levels are much more sand boxed based than the second game, which gives the player a greater amount of combat freedom. Second hand, there are many game play choices and tweaks that make the game much more smooth. Finally, Crysis 3 ends up throwing some all new things into the mix the Crysis series hasn't seen before. It's quite an amazing melange of game play mechanics, and in conjunction, Crysis 3 feels incredibly cinematic but never takes away your control during combat. As long as you are playing the game on the highest difficulty (and you should be), there's so much game play meat to Crysis 3. It's an utter joy to play, again and again.

Crysis 3 shares similar controls and mechanics to Crysis 2. although you can now spring without reservations. The new Seph weapons are awesome, and being able to collect upgrades for the nano-suit adds an awesome level of bodily customization (being able to tweak and customize your various abilities). The Bow is probably the most advertised feature of Crysis 3, and its awesome. While definitely a stealth component, using it as an offensive weapon is very possible, due to its multiple ammunition. It doesn't replace all of your other weapons (ammo is much too scarce), but it adds a definite amount of strategy. Being able to shock people, kill enemies in clusters, and snipe without draining your suit offers for some incredibly fun. Finally, I can't forget the fact you can hack turrets in order to take out enemies for you (hint: when hacking, use cloak). There's a ton of new systems at hand, and being able to use all of these within the game adds a ton of tactical options that solidify Crysis as one of the best FPS series around.

Level design in particular is excellent, and a big improvement over the second. This is where Crysis 2 was lacking in my opinion, because as we all know the sandbox style level design was toned down severely in comparison to the first. Here, I feel that they have found that excellent sweet spot that let's you have player agency, but still focuses you down a controlled path. This is easily my favorite I want to let it known though, is that Crysis 3 has numerous level layouts, with both sandbox battlefields and tight corridors; and everything in between. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with variety. I enjoy open space as much as do tight corridors, so the variety is fine for me. It's not the go everywhere shtick of the first Crysis, but since most of Crysis was (let's be honest here) full of nothing to do, it's not a big issue. I'd say the tactical design of Crysis 3 is stellar.

Needless to say, I'm well satisfied with the results. The set pieces are awesome, and the game is best played with the desire to explore game mechanics. Taking it slow, picking off enemies, and using all that I've got (which is alot), is the best way to play this awesome game. I will be playing single player campaign missions for a long time.

MP, of course, is another part of the package. Crysis 3 uses the standard progression based MP that the industry is known for, butw hat Crysis 3 has over other shooters is the nano-suit, as well as other weapons such as the bow. All of the pretty much depends on how skilled you are with the mechanics, and those who use Crysis 3's multiple mechanics in various ways make for some interesting combat. It's a ton of fun, and it adds a ton of replay value to the overall game. I can't wait to see what hardcore Crysis players will end up doing with the Mp mode. It's life-span is hard to predict as of right now, but hopefully a community will form. Granted, I don't know, nor do I care honestly, that Crysis 3 can compete with COD or Halo. All I care about is that it's incredibly fun, so what else do you want to know (after all, popularity does NOT necessarily make something good)?

Alright, that's Crysis 3. As a huge fan of the series, I'm hugely satisfied with this. I will admit that you may want to pass this game if you don't care about Crysis (if you don't, why are you even reading this?), but for Crysis fans, I give this one my absolutely stamp of approval. It's definitely the best of both worlds when it comes to Crysis (though my favorite in the series overall is still the first game), and it's almost sublime to see where this While I do let note that the campaign is shorter than previous games, I also wouldn't lie to you when I think the single player is worth playing over and over again. I mean, one session of Crysis is simply not enough! This is definitely the best FPS released this year (so far), and other games are going to have to offer a lot in order to compete with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun, well-made shooter that ultimately left me feeling hollow, March 13, 2014
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

It's a bit baffling, really. The game itself is pretty cool. I adored the first game in the series. It remains one of my favorite first person shooters I've ever played. The second game was a big step down, but still different enough to be somewhat memorable, and was also a fun game. Crysis 3, despite trying to recall the lush open spaces of jungle and vegetation of the first game, feels much more like the more constricted, urban war zone that was Crysis 2. It's a fun game. The shooting is meaty and satisfying, the nanosuit is always fun to use, and the newly added bow and arrow gives the game a nice boost to stealth that surpasses even the first two games. It's a gorgeous game to look at, even on the ancient PS3, and the sound design is fantastic.

Yet in the end, Crysis 3, much like Crysis 2, feels more like a modern tech demo than it does a heartfelt video game. Maybe it was because I played this game so soon after the masterful and amazing Metro: Last Light, but I never really felt anything other than superficial, in-the-moment enjoyment while I played this game. Nothing about it really left a mark, make me think, or intrigued me in any way. The game doesn't really introduce anything new to the genre, while at the same time it really doesn't do much wrong either. I think I'm just at the point where I'm expecting more out of the games I play. Video games have become absolutely amazing fusions of so many experiences, especially in the last three years or so, and games like Crysis 3, while fun in the moment, just don't do much for me anymore. But still, it's a very competent game, and fans of first person shooters should enjoy the campaign, despite it being very short (I beat it in about 7 hours).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear God, what a beautiful creation, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
AMAZING graphics,AMAZING characters,AMAZING weapons. stealth mode is amazing,hacking with senor is very beneficial, the senor is a gift sent from heaven,it might not seem that important in the beginning, but trust me this will be your right hand man. plus there's the multiplayer which is just great. its like any other mulitplayer with different matches and such and the game brought me "HUNTER MODE" which lets you be in the nano suit with your teammates having the suit as well were you "hunt" the enemy team (cell operatives) which create them into hunters which tips the scale in your favor.love this game haven't found any problems...other then minor lag when the game auto saves. the lag is about a second but other then that it has earned a place in my heart as one of my favortie games

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucks, June 30, 2014
Seb (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I think Crysis 3 is a pretty good game, but not this version. Honestly, I don't know why Crytek even bother porting their games over to console. For one thing, this game looks like junk. They've basically tried to cram all of the graphical features of the PC version into the console iterations and the PS3 is choking on it. Sure, there's a high level of detail everywhere and fancy shaders, but it's all the expense of the resolution and framerate. The game is jagged and runs inconsistently in single-player, and multiplayer is COMPLETELY unplayable for me. I've read a few user reviews that claim this game has fixed the bad framerate of Crysis 2, but I think the opposite is true. Crysis 3 runs just as bad, if not worse.

Just to note, I have the PC version of this game as well, and have to run it with all the settings on low to get a good framerate. Even in this state, the PC version looks MILES above this game. I only bought this version to get some trophies and play it while hanging out in my living room, but honestly...I can't even stand playing it. Avoid. Go for the PC version if at all possible. Otherwise, stick to Call of Duty or some other FPS that actually runs decently and that people actually play online (as of right now, it's really hard to get into a multiplayer match, unsurprisingly).

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Ok, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Crysis 3 is a solid generic sci-fi shooter with really good graphics. Every other aspect
including the story is either forgettable or unremarkable. But, it is mindless fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Headaches!, August 13, 2014
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First i got this game for free with my PlayStation plus membership I read a lot of hype for this game so I tried it out.

This game is just bad I feel like i am playing a rushed game, and I can clearly tell by how it looks. I don't know why people like this game its just garbage. The graphics are terrible witch is usual with EA games, the gameplay is ok nothing really stands out, the bow is cool but not really useful when combat really picks up. I never played crysis 1 and 2 so I don't know what is going in the story line and 3 did a horrible job of what the story is about and. I like all kinds of games but this one was just a huge headache.

This game reminded me again of why I don't play EA game at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of game breaking bug, April 24, 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
If you are thinking in buying this game, i recommend you make some research first.
My ps3 version would completely crash at the final boss! Making it impossible to complete the game at all. So i went into the internet just to find out that not only i was not alone, but that apparently is an issue in ALL platforms.

I feel bad for the people who.actually payed the 60$ for this on release date... keep it up EA, nice work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great FPS, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Looks great on the PS3. Highly detailed maps. About 10 hours on gameplay on the hardest settings first time through. Can play in stealth(think MGS) or shooter(think MW) or both. Well worth the $20. Multiplayer still has full lobbies for online gaming(as on 4/23/14) Use the Nano-suit to its highest potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready, aim....KABOOM!!, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Overall I enjoyed the gameplay as a FPS. The sneaky factor was fun with explosive arrow tips. Villians both human and alien were a challenge but passible, except for the final boss which I never did beat. Lol. Planning on trying the previous versions since this was time I ever played the Crysis series.

Crysis 3 - Playstation 3
Crysis 3 - Playstation 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $16.15