Crysis 3 - Xbox 360
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Change
Price:$17.73 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 20, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
So here's an honest review from a 30 something gamer who's played three out of the 4 Crysis games (1, 2, and 3, sans Warhead) on the Xbox 360. Going into this review, I will profess that I am not really "in love" with the series, and neither do I dislike it. The story in Crysis overall, is pretty convoluted, and Crysis 3 is more of the same. The gameplay and graphics, however, have always drawn me in. A few things that I am comparing from at least the 2nd game to this one are the following (with my 1-2 word opinion at the end of each segment):

Story:
More of the same. Enough to keep you entertained through the 5-7 hour campaign. Psycho being at your side most of the time is actually entertaining. He has his moments. - neutral good

Graphics:
This is one of those holy-cow-how-did-they-pull-this-off games. The difference between Crysis 2 and 3 is stunning. 2 was already quite the looker, but 3 takes it out of the park entirely. I am amazed that Crytek were able to pull out these kinds of graphics from a 7 year old machine. At the very least you would think that the frame rate would suffer, but surprisingly, it stays consistent throughout (seems to be 30fps). The look and feel of any of the levels after the first completely envelop you in the environment you're playing in. The grass swaying, the subtle use of lens-flare (which you can also turn off in the options!), and the general look of the enemies. I was extremely pleased with the eye-candy, to be sure. - very positive

Gameplay:
Much better than 2. The controls feel "tighter" and more fluid. Guns have that certain spunk and the kills are very satisfying. The Ceph weapons are aptly alien and look and sound really good. The grenades are so-so, in that the sound effect for the explosions feel muted, and personally, I think the timer on the grenade is a little bit too long. Cook your grenades before throwing them for the best results.

The bow though. The bow....it makes this game. You really do feel like a hunter in the world and the advertising for once, rings true. The added benefit of firing it and it not breaking your stealth camo is the icing on an already tasty cake. Just try using the bow and camo for a stealth run. It hits the spot. I will rip on the energy meter though; it runs out of juice very quickly if you are doing any two things at once (camo + running, armor +high jump, etc.). In single-player, you will be able to unlock and equip perks that will help you enhance your powers somewhat (quicker camo switch, faster movement when armor equipped, etc.). The wide variety of perks in the singleplayer is a welcome addition.

The levels are bigger than the ones in Crysis 2, although not quite the open sandbox that the original Crysis is. But still, that's more than enough freedom given to the player to approach a situation in a variety of ways. I definitely enjoyed the single-player in Crysis 3, more than 2. By the way, people are knocking the length of the game, as I have noticed of late. The length for me was perfect (a little over 6 hours of playtime on Veteran difficulty). Crysis 2's 14 hour playtime for me was stagnant and at times became very boring. 3 was pure fun and was packed with cinematic and sandbox moments. The perfect length and density for this gamer! And if I haven't already mentioned it before: play on Veteran difficulty. Normal was far too easy a setting. Veteran is the perfect coupling of story absorption and gameplay challenge. - very positive

Multiplayer:
I'll say it now: it looks and plays much better than the beta. The graphics are not quite what the singleplayer has, but its pretty close. The netcode (at least for me), was tighter than the beta for sure. The maps are nice and well thought out and the gameplay is intense across the variety of modes that MP offers. I know that MP probably won't last longer than 6- 8 months, but what's here is enjoyable and lively. Great fun, especially the Hunter mode, which I would say is one of the best ones up there along with standard DM/TDM. - positive

Soundtrack: Comparable, if not better than the OST on Crysis 2. This one is more future-techno, but you will find yourself enraptured by some memorable music here and there. - positive

Issues:

1.Sound quality drops in and out, on occasion, especially in the first open area that you get to where the huge towers are (chapter 2). After that it improves through to the end of the game.

2.Energy meter depletes way too fast when doing more than one Nanosuit action, but you can circumvent this problem by buying perks in the singleplayer that can help.

I wish:
I really hoped that the game would have some sort of coop/horde mode. Anything to extend the amazing sandbox experience and enjoy the game with a friend, whether local or online. I won't knock it against the game, but hopefully Crytek will take a suggestion from this humble review and think about something like this for the next installment. :D

All in all: I had/am having a lot of fun playing through both single-player and multiplayer. I'll be on this game for at least the first half of this year. Highly Recommended.

25FEB2013 Update: Adding in the 3D review of the game and an update for the multiplayer score:

3D Review: Okay so I tried the 3D function. It natively splits the screen into two stereoscopic views, so I had to adjust my TV's 3D function to compensate for that view. In essence, the game looked very nice. The enemies are not really 3D, instead, they look like they would in the standard view. NPCs however, do look slightly 3-D. The effect itself seems to apply to your HUD, your weapon (which looks amazing in 3D, btw), and your immediate surroundings. Grass and other plants especially look very well done, as they also move out of your way while you walk through them. Crytek seems to have payed special attention to the flora, as far as 3D effects go.

All in all, I was very impressed with the HUD, the 3D weapon effect, and the immersion you get from walking through grass and such. Overall, it's on par with Killzone 3's 3D. I'd give the 3D a rating of positive (7/10).

Multiplayer score update: So, after having put in about 20 hours into multiplayer (and previously giving that portion of the game just a "positive" score, I am now raising it to "very positive". The multiplayer has been a blast to play through for the past week.

The maps are solid and well crafted, keeping in mind the capabilities of the Nanosuit. The gameplay has been great through and through, in almost every match-made game I have played. Every game has had an "I can't believe I did that" moment. Let me list the few I remember:

Power-punching down from over 25 feet and taking out 3 snipers huddled together. Sliding down a flight of stairs and getting an awesomely satisfying crotch-shot on an enemy. Sticking a guy across the map on the "Dam" map with the explosive arrow, and watching him accidentally run into a team member, taking them both out. Throwing down C4 in a high traffic area and watching a stealthed enemy walk right into my trap. Jumping up into the VTOL ship and taking out both gunners unaware, with back melees, and then taking out a third on the ground by immediately manning the turret. Clicking on Nano-vision to see and then kill, a stealthed enemy who thought I had no idea where he was. Kicking a car onto an enemy who was mortaring my teammates. Etc.

The list of fun sandbox moments in multiplayer just goes on and on. Almost every game you play is memorable and you find a few hours have gone by, because you just keep thinking "just ONE more game and then I'll finish".

The amount of fun I am having with the multiplayer in this game easily comes close to Rainbow Vegas 2 and dare I say, Halo Reach and Halo 4.

Sure there are some occasions where the connection is not good (I'd say once for me out of every 20 matches), and there are some gametypes that are constantly empty. But if you're like me and you like Hunter, DM, TDM, Max DM, Max TDM, and Cell vs Rebel modes, there are more than enough games going on.

I did not expect multiplayer to be THIS fun - very positive.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Played about 6-7 hours of multiplayer on Xbox 360 on release day. Its a very nice change of pace from the same old call of duty and halo. I play almost every shooter that comes out and this is one of my favorites over the last couple years. The graphics are amazing, the different perks and suit abilities are cool, and using the bow is so much fun. Don't get me wrong there are a couple of things i would tweak with the multiplayer but everything else makes up for it. I even started playing the campaign last night and before i knew it 2 hours had gone by. I hate playing shooter campaigns because usually its the same old shoot this guy and fire like crazy to kill everyone else but I was having so much fun sneaking up behind guys to get the silent kills the time just flew by. I mean you can go in guns blazing, sneak up behind guys, be cloaked and use your bow. It kind of reminded me of playing batman games because all the bad guys would be freaking out when someone would go down or they'd find a body. Dont let me forget to mention that in multiplayer you can pretty much go ANYWHERE on the map you want to. If you can see something to stand on you can get there its great! You never know where the enemy will be so it adds to the excitement of playing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360
Do yourself a favor & pick this game up. Graphics are mindblowing on a good HDTV & sound to match. Most importantly the gameplay & controls are so tight & easy. After a couple hours of playing you'll be able to control everything with ease & there is a lot your character is capable of. Single player is very fun & sucks you in & is just long enough to invite you to replay it. Never too long or slow to become boring it's the perfect length. The multiplayer is excellent feels like HALO but with much more strategy, thinking & ways to approach battle. HALO, COD are just run in & shoot & see who dies first. More for kids & teens this actually produces a tense drama & tension like Dead Space in a FPS. Really tense at times & keeps you on the edge of your seat when you can't see enemies like the Predator. Get this game!
on February 21, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Just finished the game, and it was another epic ending. I want to start this review off with the negatives. First, I liked Crysis 2 and Crysis the most. I play on XBOX, and I was introduced to this series with Crysis 2. I preordered Crysis 3 through Amazon and received a free download of the original Crysis. I am about half-way through the first game but still believe Crysis 2 to be the best overall game. I just loved playing in the urban environment and loved how the HUD gave you your tactical options. I also thought the ending was the best of the two games I have completed. Second, Crysis 3 was way too short. On the veteran (hard) difficulty level, I beat it in about 8 hours, so the 6 hour time frame on the default difficulty is most likely accurate. Crysis 2 had 19 missions that will take 10-12 hours on default and 14+ on veteran. The original Crysis is also shaping up to be longer as well. I felt like from the beginning of Crysis 3, you were plunged right into the middle of the game and you knew where the game was headed. I enjoyed the suspense and creepiness of Crysis 2 and Crysis and waiting for the big reveal which was so satisfying.

Now the positives. The graphics will be the first that everyone talks about. I thought Halo and Arkham City looked amazing. Nothing compares to Crysis 3-not even Crysis 2. This is as close to PC quality graphic as you are going to get. Be warned though, graphical fidelity takes a hit in multiplayer. Crytek outsourced the MP to Crytek UK (formerly Free Radical). Crytek UK is no slouch at MP and has a long history of quality MP games. So the gameplay is there, but the graphics do not compare to the campaign-Crysis 2 tops it in MP graphics. The controls and gameplay is tight and well-crafted. This is probably the most important quality in a game for me. I love Halo, and the idea of being a supersoldier is great. Halo is a well-balanced game that I love to play online with friends. However, no game makes you feel like a supersoldier like Crysis 3 does in the campaign and in multiplayer. I also love this sci-fi story. The critics have bashed it relentlessly for a lack of story and characterization, but I think the story is fine. It is epic in scope and gives you enough information or implies enough to where a reasonable person could figure it out. The only flaw may be that Crytek does not tell the story in the most effective manner. For example, we are left wondering the fate of certain characters such as Nomad, Alcatraz, Psycho, and Nathan Gould. Spoiler ahead---I have read somewhere that Nomad was killed off in a graphic novel. You learn of what happened to Alcatraz in this game. Psycho's fate is somewhat undetermined in this game, and I don't recall hearing anything about Gould in this game. I actually believe these are effective story telling techniques because they leave you wanting more or force you to use your imagination. People praised the original Star Wars but until The Empire Strikes Back came out, the fate of Darth Vader was up in the air- I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

Overall, I think this was a great game. I would have given it 4.5 stars if I could, but I refused to give it "just" a 4. It was better than that. I think the conclusion was satisfying, and am happy with what becomes of Prophet. Unless Crytek can expand on the Crysis universe in an original, meaningful way, I hope this is the definitive end of this trilogy. It is worth it.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Let's get this out of the way first - Crysis 3 looks awesome. I bring this up because the Crysis series has always been known as the benchmark for current gen graphics more than gameplay. To a certain extent, this holds true, but what we have here is a game the plays (nearly) as good as it looks.

What we have here is a first person shooter that is set in a near-future setting where an android-like race of aliens has set out to destroy the earth. Original? no. But the story is very servicable. If nothing else, it drives the action forward. When you get right down to it, that's really all I want from a shooter. What makes the story cool is the inclusion of the nano-suit that your character wears throughout the game. It's basically an adanced piece of tech that makes you a super-soldier capable of killing thousands of enemies with ease. And yes, that is as badass as it sounds.

When it comes to gameplay, the suit comes in to play in a number of ways. First, by tapping up on the d-pad, you turn on a recon visor that lets you tag and track both enemies and supplies scattered throughout the game world. This is a seemingly simple gameplay mechanic, but as you play the game, it will unquestionably be your most useful ability. The other primary functions of the suit are stealth and armor modes. They are exactly like they sound. Tap LB (or L1 on PS3) and you turn invisible. Tap RB (R1) and you get an extra degree of armor. Both modes expends a rechargable energy bar, so you can't walk around invisible or armored forever (although that would be a nice bonus for beating the game).

Personally, I didn't find a ton of use for the armor mode unless I was near death. Invisiblity on the other hand, I used quite a bit. The main reason for this is because we are given a composite bow to use very early in the game. Compared to all the gadgets in the Crysis universe, a bow might seem very low-tech, but there's actually a pretty good reason for this. You see, when you are cloaked and fire a gun, you become visible briefly and you expend energy quickly. On the other hand, you can fire your bow while remaining totally invisible and expending no extra energy. So, for lack of a better comparison, the combination of the bow and your invisibility basically makes you the predator. And yeah, it's just as fun as it sounds.

The awesomeness of the bow aside, the gunplay here isn't too bad either. Not quite as tight as say, Call of Duty, but it's very well-done. What I really like about the shooting gameplay comes from the way gun attachments are handled. In most games, you can add silencers and scopes between levels. In Crysis 3, you can change things up on the fly. You can put on silencers or drum magazines one second, only to affix a fore-grip and a scope the next. This gives you a number of options to tackle any situation, and you can do it at will. If there is one thing I wish other shooters would copy from this game, the attachment system would be it.

The last thing I want to mention is the multiplayer. I have spent a decent amount of time here, and while it's pretty standard stuff, it is fun. Deathmatch and hold-the-area game types are all here, along with a very Call of Duty class loadout system. The standout mode here however, is the Hunter game type. In these matches, several players will start as humans with firearms. A few players will start as hunters, equipped with unlimited invisibility and a bow. Any time a human agent is killed by a hunter, he respawns as a hunter himself. This process continues until either all the humans are dead, or until a time-limit is reached. These rounds are fast and tense, and I had a blast. Nothing beats the tension of being the last human standing with 10 seconds left, knowing that at least 5 or 6 hunters are prowling about. The only unfortunate thing about multiplayer is that even during launch week, I would rarely find more than 1,000 players online. That's an alarmingly low number of players, and I can only imagine that the multiplayer won't last simply due to the small community. It's unfortunate, because like I said, it can be good fun.

So that is that. I do highly recommend the game. As far as first person shooters go, this is a good one. Graphics are probably the best ever seen on a home console, and the campaign is fun and fairly long. Add in the entertaining (albeit lightly populated) multiplayer, and it's easy to recommend this game even at full price. And remember, this game will make you feel like the predator. That could be reason enough for some people to get this game.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 4, 2014
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Crysis has exemplary graphics especially for a console game, the use of the hunter bow in it gives it a more stealthy edge than in Crysis 2.
on March 9, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360
I have finished the "Welcome to the Jungle" level and since the beginning of the game I notice game breaking audio errors. The audio stutters or cuts out during intense action.

EA has been alerted to this error as far back as Feb 20th and their only official response is to "install the game to the HD" which has been confirmed by multiple people (including myself) not to work.
The sad thing is that this glitch comes at the coolest part of the game's experience and instantly breaks the immersion process of a "good game".

Aside from the audio the game is more of the same as sequel to Crysis 2.
My main complaints are that enemies see you the second you de-cloak, despite distance. The controls can be come complex taking away from the action when you have to stop and customize a weapon every few kills. The game is fairly simple and does bring anything new to the franchise so far (other than a bow)

So far it appears to me that Crytek and EA are just trying to cash in on the franchise and the games engine as the game feels rushed and unimaginative.
Fix the audio issues 3/5. As it currently stands 1/5.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
I have played the multiplayer for several hours and my initial impressions are very good. The map designs are creative and designed with the Nanosuit in mind, with lots of verticality. The weapons are also quite good. Most are balanced very well, besides some small advantages that could make the shotguns better than the others. There are reasonably sized upgrade trees for each weapon, ensuring that you will have to use a certain gun for a long time before you unlock all attachments. The graphics are pretty good on the 360, but it seems to me like they look a little worse than Crysis 2 on some maps. I will continue to update this review when I play for a longer period of time

Initial Score: 9/10

Edit March 5, 2013

So, I've played the game for about two weeks now. I've finished the campaign and have unlocked almost everything in multiplayer. I can now confidently say this is one of my favorite first person shooters of the past few years. The multiplayer is very refreshing after MOH Warfighter, BLOPS 2, and Halo 4. The way you have to change your nanosuit's mode on the fly is a lot of fun. The amount of weapons is really good, with nothing feeling too overpowered, although there are a few guns that aren't very good. Unlocking all the attachments takes a while and rebooting your suit (think prestiging in COD) unlocks new camos. The one unfortunate part of multiplayer is that the bow is not very powerful. At any range, it is a two hit kill. The only way to kill your target with one shot is a headshot. It is very comparable to sniper rifles and isn't something you will want to use at close range. Although it is fun to sit cloaked while hunting your enemies, don't expect to get a ton of kills. The maps are well laid out and make good use of your super-jumping ability. You have to watch your back all the time, knowing that at any time, a hiding enemy may come in for the kill. Although the graphics aren't great, there not horrible, although the lighting was definitely better in Crysis 2. The campaign is shorter than Crysis 2, and there aren't a ton of missions, so expect each one to take about 45 minutes. The story is good, but a little confusing. I have played every Crysis game, and even I didn't know what the heck was going on at the start. New players to the series, watch some recaps online before you try the campaign. The location, abandoned New York City, is easily the highlight of the single player. I enjoyed exploring the tree filled environment throughout the entire game. It gets even better in the multiplayer maps, as you will be visiting well know locations like the Brooklyn Bridge.

Pros:
- Creative multiplayer that stands out from the crowd
- Good graphics for a seven year old console
- Interesting setting

Cons:
- Will look much better on a PC
- Short campaign
- Confusing story

Note - I played the game on an Xbox 360 SLIM with a 1080p HDTV

Final Comments: If you are a fan of the FPS genre, you need to check this game out

Final Score: 8.9/10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2014
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Anyone else sick of the 'play an enitrely fun game only to have to hit a Boss at the end of it a billion times while running around' ? I am, and unfortunately this game went right into that. I found the final boss annoying and tedius to kill - it turned into something I just wanted to get done and left me with a lower impression of the game than I might have had otherwise. There was another boss fight earlier in the game that I felt the same way. They should have come up with something better than the normal 'shoot the boss a billion times while running around' gameplay.
on April 3, 2014
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
excellent game ive played it several times ...fast action scenes n the graphics are crisp n awesome...plan on playin it again