Crysis Maximum Edition
Platform for Display: PCEdition: MaximumChange
Price:$11.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 19, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
I played the first crysis and absolutely loved it. Amazing graphics, interesting/fresh gameplay, open levels etc. I was then disappointed to learn that crysis warhead had a limit on how many times you could install on a different machine. Since I am constantly upgrading my computer this would mean that after changing out 5 components I would need to buy a new game. I then decided not to purchase the game.

When I found out crysis maximum edition was releasing I checked the forums and discovered that EA had added a workaround to the authorization allowing me unlimited installs as long as I used the tool correctly. I hurried out and purchased the game as it gave me a backup version of crysis and in addition crysis wars. I began playing through warhead and was just as happy as I was with the original crysis title. Probably the best game I have played this year. However, I discovered that some programs of mine were not working (for example, daemon tools) and other games were crashing frequently. I went on the interwebz and found that this was probably caused by the securom 7 that installs with crysis warhead. This securom installed without my knowledge, is not able to be uninstalled without advanced knowledge of your operating system or with a 3rd party uninstaller that was rather difficult to locate (the one provided by the securom company does not work well) Needless to say I did not want malware on my PC so I ran the uninstaller and rid myself of it. This rendered warhead, which I was only halfway through, unplayable but imo it was worth it. I do not need securom deciding what my computer can and can't do.

I learned my lesson, from now on I will check and see what kind of drm a game has before purchasing. If it uses anything as intrusive as securom 7 I will not even give it consideration, its not worth the hassle and I refuse to give money to a company for a game which knowingly puts malware on my computer when hackers who did not pay for the game get to play malware free. Save yourself a headache and skip this game. Tell EA with your dollar vote that excessive and intrusive drm is not the answer for piracy.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
I was looking forward to purchasing this game, as I was looking forward to purchase Mirror's Edge. However, once I learned that EA had included SecuRom (a form of DRM); I knew that EA had yet again lost me as a customer.

Let me make it clear that I believe EA has the right to protect their software - as long as the software is installed on my computer. The fact that SecuRom actually encourages piracy is another issue. The issue for me is the fact that uninstalling the game does not remove SecuRom. In fact, SecuRom is designed to prevent the average person from removing it from his or her computer short of reformatting the hard drive. The removal tool that that is available from the company that created SecuRom does not remove the program.

The reason it is so hard to remove is the fact that the software embeds null characters into the Windows registry listing for the SecurRom program. RegEdit simply will not remove a listing from the registry that has null characters embedded in it. There is software (freeware) available that will remove these types of entries, but you need to extensively research the web to find it. To say the SecuRom software is rude is to greatly understate the issue.

If the purpose of the SecuRom software is to prevent the piracy of the software, then why did the manufacturer of the software make it so hard to remove after the game software has been removed? What information does it provide and who does it provide it to? Computer security is so important that installing a game with SecuRom is simply too much of a risk
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2012
Platform for Display: PC DownloadEdition: Maximum
I was really excited to buy this game (currently only $9), as I had tried it out when my friend bought it through steam and really enjoyed it. Then I found out that it uses secuROM, which I have had problems with in the past. I will not install a game on my computer that uses secuROM, so despite the great price I will not be buying this game.
on July 25, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
With Original Crysis going on 3 years old, I have upgraded my system 3 times since the original install. If DRM were in the original Crysis, I would likely not be able to install it on my next generation upgrade, which will happen because of the new MB's with USB 3.0, addional PCI16 slots, and additional SATA I connectors of 6+ on the newer MoBo's. Graphics card is always upgraded, and when each new Mobo, I always upgrade my processor. So it will look like a totally new system, and that is the problem. Great Game, but I won't buy anything with DRM, period. It is impacting sales.
Of course I could get a cracked version free, but I believe piracy can lead to the end of innovation and possibly products for the PC despire that I am honest. DRM inhibits sales to honest people, not pirates. When will the dolts at EA get it. Likely never, so sadly I suspect that means no purchases from EA. It is killing me because EA has been around since the Atari 800 and they have always made awesome games. No Crysis Warhead either... DRM.. :(
on March 2, 2010
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
Wonderful game, loved the original and heard nothing but good things about the series, but I will not allow a company to install software that I do not want on MY computer, nor will I turn my computer into a SecureROM game station.

My computer, my way, or not at all. Boycott DRM infected games.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2010
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
EA can make some great titles, but the DRM software that is part of the install isn't worth it. I am not sure what EA was thinking, but what ever employee thought this was a good idea should be fired.
on August 24, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
Campy taglines undermind what this game has to offer. It is the coup de grace of what everyone back in the nineties was saying would be possible with multimedia one day -- and here it is.

When I initially installed the game it started me out, as it does everyone, at the default medium mixed with some high settings for different visual aspects of the game. I proceeded to run the in game diagnostic tool to asses my system and it ranked it at "high" for settings. I accepted the high settings prompt and away I went.

The game locked my system up after a strenuous seven hours of straight gameplay. It was awe inspiring and upsetting, at the same time, that so much time flew past without so much as a twitch. The graphical appeal and depth of game-play boggled my mind. The detail of the trees alone was enough to make me pull over my HMMWV (hummer/hum-vee for the civilians) for a scenery shot or three.

The stealth aspects of the game including ambush tactics is a ghorilla warfare fan's dream come true. The minigun makes things a bit conversational and quite the liberating stress reliever. The final missions of the game are dizzying with depth and graphical sensory overload -- mountains falling apart in the background and anti-gravity trips through the bowels of an alien fortress really play upto the crescendo of the title.

I will say this for the faint of heart -- be weary if you're afraid of heights, get motion sickness, or are prone to epilepsy because this game will assault your senses to an overloaded state and I am not being funny. A couple of falls had me swallowing my heart. This is like playing an intense action thriller movie right out of Hollywood.

This thing is phenom. Even on all medium settings this game shines but, on high it's like playing a realtime action flick with photo-realistics graphics.

The Maximum Edition comes with two games: Crysis and Crysis Warhead as well as an online only version called Crysis Wars. If you are neither interested in Crysis Warhead nor playing online with Crysis Wars then you could settle for the Crysis single with much delight. Even if you have no intentions of playing online you could still get two for the price of one with the Maximum Edition being Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

Now I truely understand what all the graphics card overclockers are talking about when they compare benchmarks referencing Crysis all the time. This game isn't a game it's an interactive movie done in 3D objects.

Enjoy!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DownloadEdition: Maximum
This has got to be the lousiest thing I spent money on at amazon.com

The download was pretty slick, and the game itself plays fine - for an hour or 3 until the machine BSOD's (I've not had ANY problems like this before I installed this game, btw) - so I can only blame the securom DRM -- very intrusive and is on the level of a rootkit in terms of sneakiness.

Even worse, this so called Maximum edition is missing one crucial thing that comes with the on-disk version - Sandbox2, the level editor used for loading mods - yup. Without it you can't install third party mods, and the downloaded installer does not have it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 30, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
I understand EA wants to protect their game from theft and a $50 game is far more likely to be stolen then a $1 song but these draconian measures must stop. I played this game and would really like to own it but I will not subject my computer to your malware. At the very least you could provide an option of installing your malware if we want to play without the DVD in the tray but also have allow people who don't want to Skynet our computers to you the ability to play with the DVD in the tray and no malware.

You lose another customer and I hope these reviews continue to lose you customers until EA wakes up and finds a non-invasive copy protection scheme.
on May 22, 2009
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Maximum
Crysis is one of the most tragic stories in PC gaming history.

Crysis original does not have 5 activations on their DRM, but was lacking in gameplay. It had some really awesome moments and was just waiting for an expansion pack to come and better it.

Crysis warhead had intense action in awesome environments coupled with highly detailed levels and more character personality, but it also has the nasty draconian DRM known as securom. This means that you cannot resell the game when you're done, nor can you buy one copy and play LAN games. If you have a little brother that wants to join you, or a dad and brother, expect to pay full price per seat.

If you're creative and have trustworthy friends, you can lend crysis warhead to a friend just fine, which is how I played it. There are many less breathtaking moments, and stealth is no longer your priority, but you can't just blindly shoot places up.

Unfortunately, because of piracy IN RESPONSE TO the anti-piracy/DRM measures, crytek has decided to compromise the quality and integrity of their games and work on porting their next crysis/cryengine games to console. The difference is immense, and Crysis is as good as it will get for PC gamers as far as utilizing system resources for at least another 6 months.

Pros:
-Very awesome physics
-Very awesome graphics that make console graphics fanboys cry
-Some interesting gameplay dynamics
-For an FPS in this day and age, interesting AI

Cons:
-Downright nasty DRM measures on warhead and wars.
-Psuedo-open environments, you are on a linear path, always.
-Exploration is rarely rewarded when it can be done
-Developer has added injury to insult, and after alienating most of its PC customers claimed that the piracy is too much for them. Sales numbers at the time were 1.5 million copies sold, 350,000 copies downloaded. Sales numbers now are 4.5 million copies sold, 800,000 copies pirated.
-Sequels will be using console-ified graphics and gameplay that won't be worth your time. For now Crysis has an interesting storyline told wonderfully by the game engine, but this will change.

Bottom line: Buy this 3 pack when it hits 29.99 or lower, buy sequels at 19.99 or lower, but not a penny more.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...