Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

HALL OF FAMEon March 22, 2004
An excellent guide to the properties and use of crystals, written in simple clear language, so no esoteric knowledge is necessary to understand how to select and prepare the right crystals and how to benefit from them.
Part One (Gates Of Stone) discusses the archaeological processes in the formation of stones and gives a history of mankind's use of gems and crystals. It also gives directions for choosing and cleansing your stones.
Part Two (Stones And Their Powers) provides classifications of stones according to their degree of hardness and explains the carat weight, whilst also explaining the distinction between talismans and amulets.
The list of stones from A - Z makes up the main body of the book. Each stone is discussed by its hardness, color/s, sources, history and folklore, healing energies, magical powers and magical uses. This is very interesting and informative.
Part Three (Other Uses For Stone Magic) includes information on practical spell-magic with stones, sounds and crystals with the use of tuning forks, chakra alignment, stone pendulums and wands, changing the vibrations of your dwelling place, crystals and light, using crystals with star webs and mandalas, stone bead crafts, stone divination, scrying with stones and stone patterns for healing.
There are also tables of correspondence indicating the appropriate crystals for the seasons, for the zodiac, the birth month, weekdays, wedding anniversaries and one for angels, planets, days and seasons together. The book concludes with a list of other names for certain stones, a glossary of technical terms, an extensive bibliography and an index.
Although the book lacks illustrations or photographs, it is a valuable reference work and a very engaging read offering useful practical information. I also recommend The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall and Love Is In The Earth by Melody.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2000
This book has a lot of very useful information about stones and their properties. It's easy to read and to understand. The only drawback is that there are no pictures of the stones. I'd definitely recommend purchasing this book, but maybe supplementing it with a book on how to identify the different stones.
on April 7, 2005
I LOVE this book! By one of my favorite authors, this book is extremely easy to read and comprehend. Magical uses, healing properties, history, it's just about all here! Worth every penny! Check out other titles by D.J. Conway, she "ROCKS"!
on August 13, 2004
It lists for each stone - physical properties, source, facts, history / folklore, healing energies and and magical uses. Includes a very good section on other magical uses for stones in general and has a diverse section on personal gemstones.
Written in the simple and personal style for which Conway is known, this work carries on in the tradition of a more folklorical and Pagan perspective of working with minerals. This book helps integrate history, tradition, and the more New Agey perspective, and Conway also adds a bit of mineralogy to the mix.

This work largely addresses crystals for their healing and ritual/magickal connotations, and thus adds a facet that other comprehensive works leave out. This is a must-have for all crystal workers, especially those of a Pagan or Earth-based worldview.
on May 17, 2006
This book is mostly text with no "real" illustrations (only a very small handful of pictures and diagrams). Very informative and is most definatly a solid choice for reading material of this subject.
on June 9, 2003
I love this book. I was so surprised at the contents of each stone section within this book. It even offers the meanings of the stoens when they apear in your dreams. The lore and hystory of the stones gives me the greatest joy to read. This is a deffinate for anyone interested in stones, whether you are healing or casting magick.
on May 18, 2012
I bought the kindle version of this book. I found it to be very informative. Unfortunately, I didn't read the reviews, otherwise I would have realised that there were no pictures of the crystals. I was really surprised by that. I think I would have still bought the book anyway, just that I would not have been so surprised. I liked the information provided and I feel that it has helped me to expand my knowledge about a wide range of crystals. I now know much more about the facts, history, folklore, benefits and uses of crystals and I am now purchasing a variety of crystals for my personal use because of this.
on September 1, 2006
this book provides a lot of information about stones and crystals that is informative and written in a fashion that isn't dry. Not many pictures, but the book is super reference.

I have always enjoyed stone, used to work with a stone wheel shaping them.

Always felt such power from the different ones, almost as if they called to me, telling me what shape they wanted to me. So I appreciate knowing more about them and their properties.
on May 12, 2015
D.J. Conway not only describes the Metaphysical Properties of Crystals & Minerals, but the History, Mythology & Folklore too! She also describes several ways in which you can use Crystals & Minerals in a Psychic, Healing or Magical Working. This book is very in-depth without being dry & wordy and I would highly recommend it to any Crystal & Mineral Enthusiast as well as to those interested in Mythology & Folklore!