5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody better than Crystal Gayle
Although it's not a complete hits set, I'm still giving this 5 stars because there are so many great songs here.

Published on August 29, 2007 by caj

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Like The Plague
I LOVE The Crystals, but none of these songs sound familiar. These tracks sound like a demo tape. The fantabulous Phil Spector "wall of sound" is conspicuously absent. Buy something else.
Published on March 23, 2005 by LJS

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody better than Crystal Gayle, August 29, 2007
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)

Without a doubt, Crystal is the most underrated country female artist today. She rarely gets any recognition on country radio stations, GAC, or CMT. Yet, this talented woman had two very successful decades of consistent hits, including 18 #1 hits.

What was so great about Crystal was that she didn't see country radio as having restraints. She introduced country audiences to all kinds of sounds and styles of music. The best thing about buying a Crystal album was that you never got the same kind of songs as the previous one. You were always going to be pleasently surprised. What a talent this lady is.

This set covers mostly her 70s hits, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. What Crystal fans are waiting for though is a complete boxed set or maybe re-issues of all her albums. Until then, this is a great set of some of Crystal's bests songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first collection to combine the hits from several labels., September 2, 2007
Allen Chapman (STAFFORD SPRINGS, CT USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
This is the first Crystal Gayle collection to cover her various labels from 1975 thru 1986, her peak hit making years. There are a few tracks missing, "Our Love Is On A Faultline" for instance. But this is a great collection regardless. A few interesting notes about this set. There are few alternate versions on here. "Beyond You" is the 1979 recording, not the 1975 version. "When I Dream" is the original 1975 version and not the 1979 hit version.
Most of Crystal's albums have been reissued on CD somewhere in the world, but a boxed set would be nice. In the meantime this is a great collection of some of her biggest hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great greatest hits, October 1, 2007
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
They left out "The Blue Side"... an important Columbia recording. They also snuck in a different (and inferior)version of "When I Dream" without giving the consumer fair notice they were getting a version different from they one they remember from the radio...It's really hard to empathize with big label woes when they pull stunts like that and otherwise honest music buyers have a another reason to turn to P2P networks..

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear..., August 28, 2007
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
Being a long time Crystal Gayle Fan, I have just about every cd she has ever put out, however, I figured with digital remastering, I'd give this greatest hits cd a try.. and am i glad i did!!

Listening to this cd is like listening to these excellent songs for the first time.. i am especially intrigued with the way they made these recordings clearer.. most all hits are included here.. it would take more than one cd to have them all included.. perhaps greatest hits volume 2?

A great cd at a great price.. I paid $14.99, not bad for 25 songs..
If you dont have any crystal gayle albums, this is the one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Crystal, September 2, 2007
Eldo R. Estes (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
After more Hits packages than one would care to count...I was not all that thrilled to find yet another one is now available. However...I love my Crystal Gayle (and with the inclusion of "He Is Beautiful To Me" from my favorite CG album "True Love") so I picked up a copy. Well...the remastering on this collection is quite astounding. Tracks that are nearly 40 years old sound brand new. There is just one stellar song after another...25 in all. If you are looking for a Crystal collection (even if it is missing "Our Love Is On The Faultline") this is the one to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal's Greatest is a Great Collection, November 10, 2008
G. Noland (prairieville, la) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
We get to hear the evolution of one of country music's premier crossover artists through 25 great songs. It begins with her first hit, "I've Cried the Blues..." (written by sister Loretta) and ends with a gospel tune from her post-hit days (though this is apparently a version from a previous album and not the gospel album). Though some songs are stronger than others, this is not a hit-or-miss collection. Even the songs that weren't as well known ("Your Old Cold Shoulder," "River Road," "Beyond You") are excellent tracks. We do miss a few songs that might have been included instead of the lesser-knowns, but these songs help demonstrate to us what a wonderful artist she is.

Her most significant and popular songs are included: "I'll Do It All Over Again" (a personal favorite), "Wrong Road Again," "Don't It Make my Brown Eyes Blue" (wonderful piano work and arrangement that never gets old), and "Ready for the Times to Get Better" from her days as an emerging artist; and songs from her final years of success: "Half the Way," "Sound of Goodbye," and "Cry" (she put her stamp on that remake, and what wonderful saxophone is included).

Another treat is the duet with Eddie Rabbitt, her last pop top 10, "You and I." They sound great together. Eddie wanted her to do background vocals, but Crystal heard more . . . and the rest is history! The version of "When I Dream" is an older one than the better-known single release. I happen to like this one better--not quite as slow and with a little more country feel to it--but just don't expect it to be the one you heard on the radio.

I bought this is a birthday present for my mother, but I've listened just as much as she has. If you appreciate good music, you will enjoy, no matter what age. One part country, one part jazz, one part easy listening--and all Crystal! If you don't have these songs on CD, you need this collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great collection for someone who just wants the hits, August 30, 2007
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
This is a great collection for someone who wants to be introduced to her hit songs. For all of us older fans this is once more a disappointment because she has recorded so many great songs that we can't get on CD's. We want a digitally remastered collection of all her great songs, not just the hits. When you hear the amazing harmony in songs like 'I still miss someone' or the great orchestration in songs like 'I'm not so far away' or 'Green door' it reminds you what makes her a great artist but we can't get ahold of these songs. That's what we want! Along with some of her newer songs like 'Smile' or 'Falling in love again'. Get with it people!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Like The Plague, March 23, 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars It deserves minus 5 stars, June 8, 2010
Jay (Pittsburgh PA) - See all my reviews
This isn't the Crystals' original versions of these songs. This is ersatz Crystals. Don't buy this.

I wish I could give it minus five stars. It shouldn't even be for sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "Greatest Hits" available, November 1, 2008
This review is from: Crystal Gayle: The Hits (Audio CD)
To have all Crystal's big hits on one CD is an impossible task.
This compilation of greatest hits, however, is very near that
purpose. It holds 13 of her 18 #1 hits and the songs cover the
period from 1970 till 1986. The first song I had never heard of
before, is clearly an ode to Patsy Cline and a wonderful interpre-
tation. Since I received the CD, I have been playing it every day.
Besides the mentioned number one hits, the rest are also big hits
and this CD deserves at least the 5 stars I've given it because
Amazon's classification doesn't go any further.

ARRAY(0x98530dec)

Crystal Gayle: The Hits
Crystal Gayle: The Hits by Crystal Gayle (Audio CD - 2007)