Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 6, 2010
I followed step by step instructions, from testing & building my portfolio to networking. This book was my career bible. I was overjoyed when Crystal autographed my copy in 2003, only now do i truly realize all that she has given me through her book! I am now the personal makeup artist to Patti LaBelle and Tina Knowles. I've worked for many publications including Essence, Ocean Drive and Lucky Magazine to name a few, i have worked in television (Judge Hatchett show, appearances on Jay Leno, Tyra Banks, Rachel Ray, Wendy Williams, etc..), Music Videos (Jay-Z, Pharrell, Fat Joe, T.I, etc...) I've worked fashion shows with Stephen Burrowes and Moda in Miami, Award Shows with Kanye West & Jamie Foxx.... and so much more! I am amazed sometimes at myself when i look back at the body of worked i've established through the years, and then i look back at the beginning when i knew nothing of the industry, requirements and standards, and realize that Crystal's book truly was my start, my university if you will, for my career. SO.... Thank you Crystal!!! Not just for this book, but for every time that i came to a workshop or trade show and you offered encouraging words....

And if you need more.... Tippi Shorter wrote a review a few down.... and for those of you who don't know.... (shame on you, you will learn in the book to keep up on what's going on in the industry!!!) Tippi is one of the most amazing hairstylists that i've ever had the pleasure of working with... super talented... and hairstylist to some of the biggest stars today.... :-)

This book is still one of the best investments i've ever made into my career... it truly changed my life....
on May 14, 2011
I really do like this book, but its kind of a hard read because it doesn't flow very well. If you're just needing the hair or makeup sections, you have to hop around a lot because there is info for you in several different parts of the book. Also the continuous advertising is a little annoying. I felt there were too many plugs for the schools; the same ads are repeated several times throughout the book. Maybe better to just add a nice list as additional appendix. The interviews with industry professionals were great. Very real and genuine answers...no holds barred industry advice. I liked the separate lists for different types of makeup work. Love the information...invaluable, but hoping for a more cleaned-up edition in the future?
on July 4, 2010
This book is a NECESSARY part of your career if you are serious about becoming a makeup artist, hair stylist or fashion stylist. Far too often, makeup schools will teach you how to do makeup but what they don't teach is the business of makeup. If you are going to be successful in this business, it is not enough to just be creative. You have to be about your business as well. This book gives you all the tools you need to suceed as a makeup artist, hair stylist or fashion stylist. You will learn how to build a portfolio, what is a good image and what is a bad image, how to approach agencies, how to do a comp card and marketing materials, what to look for in photographers etc. I read this book with a highlighter in one hand and a pen and note pad in the other. The information is presented in a way that is candid, upfront, and realistic.

If you are serious about becoming a makeup artist or if you even think you want to become one, you must read this book. I can't begin to tell you how valuable this book has been to me and my career as a makeup artist.
on July 11, 2012
As a makeup artist in the industry and years of taking all types of classes, I have yet to find ANYONE who provides you with the information provided in this book. In fear of someone taking a job away from you, other educators only give you enough information to 1) get only so far 2) to make you come back for another workshop/seminar for just, yet, another small piece of the puzzle. This book provides step-by-step information from cradle to grave and leaves no stone unturned.
on August 1, 2012
If you are a Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Fashion Stylist, or even a Manicurist, I suggest you get this book! If you are looking to make one of those occupations your career, you must get this book!! Crystal Wright is the best author to speak on this subject as she used to own her own Celebrity Artist Agency. If you remember when Halle Berry stepped on the scene in the movie "Boomerang", Crystal's Artist was Halle Berry's hairstylist!! All the steps to help you move towards your career and tips provided in this book are practical and proven. There is so much information packed into this book. This is not only a book, this is a step by step workbook. There are also personal interviews with even more helpful insight from actual Celebrity Makeup Artists, Fashion Stylists, Hairstylists, Photographers and Agents! Once you read this book and you are serious about your career, your next step should be [...]To take your career to the next level, you will need to take Crystal's Packaging Your Portfolio Workshop and you will thank me later. I promise! Every one of her past students who have read this book and taken her workshop, have gone on to do big, BIG things! I'm talking Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, BIG!! If you believe in yourself and your gifts, GET THIS BOOK! This book was the first step towards me going after my dreams. One of the best books I've ever read! Stop contemplating...You're waisting your time if you don't get this book. GET THIS BOOK! :) You'll be so happy that you did.
on June 24, 2015
I originally purchased the 2nd edition of this book years ago and just recently bought the latest edition. When I began my career, the internet was still in its infancy and information wasn't readily available. The guide provided me insight into the industry and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have referred to it and still refer to it 20 years later.

This book provides you with so much information. It's all there in black and white and you can refer to it again and again. If you are serious about advancing in the industry and want first hand knowledge, this is the book for you. You can make notes as you go along, mark pages and keep it handy for when situations pop up. The information is all contained in easy to follow sections and I have never found any other book with as much truthful and focused details as this guide.

Advancing in your career takes dedication and purchasing this book and reading it cover to cover, shows you are serious about what you want. Sure, you could look things up on the internet, but we all know the internet isn't always accurate. Take the advice of a pro who has been there and learned from her experiences.

Crystal Wright is fabulous and if you ever have the opportunity to take one of her workshops, I highly suggest you do just that. Sign up for the PYP Summit Workshop after you've read the book. It's easy to learn how to do makeup and/or hair, but it's not easy to understand the proper steps needed to make your career a reality. All the seminars in the world won't provide you with this much information. Crystal lays it all out and gives you the checklist to make it happen.
review image
on June 2, 2014
You have been what I have been searching for. I continued to attend programs and classes searching for the "IT" and I just wasn't finding it until "I found you". This industry supports each other and supports those that take it upon themselves to get up and do something. I was referred to you by another industry person whom I met at a class (yes another class that wasn't what I was looking for) and she had already taken your class but was trying to build upon it when I told her my dilemma and she off the top told me to order your book. I took my phone out right then and ordered it. When I left NYC and arrived back home in CA I had my book and I called to book your next workshop, 2 weeks later. You actually answered the phone and you were so kind in answering all my questions. 2 weeks later I hopped on a plane and boom! Your workshop was exactly what I was looking for. All my questions answered and more. I have suggested your book/workshop to countless others and they too fell in love with you. PYP all the way.
Bobbie
on June 14, 2011
As a fashion stylist this book gives you great tips on how to market yourself and identify which field is best for you...money well spent
on August 6, 2012
This book looks very intimidating but once I open the book to read the material, things just began to come very clear. When I had questions about certain topics, I picked up the phone for clarity. The Book is the Bible for artist like myself. It has truly empowered me to understand the language, attitude and style of this current Fashion styling, Make Up and Hair Industry! No one will be able to pull a wool over your eyes because the map is actually cut out and placed in the career guide. they say, "if you want to hide money from a thief, put it in a book" well, Crystal Wright did just that and I'm so thankful for her wisdom, character and integrity! It's a must read over and over again. lastly, I will recommend everyone to invest in her 3 day workshop to help position yourself in the most creative way that only a Teacher will be able to do so; that's Crystal wright!
on June 22, 2011
I originally purchased the 2nd edition of this book years ago and just recently bought the latest edition. This was a perfect way to jump start my career; a kick in the butt that I truly needed. When I began my career, the internet was still in its infancy and information wasn't readily available. The guide provided me insight into the industry and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have referred to it and still refer to it 20 years later.

Crystal Wright is fabulous and if you ever have the opportunity to take one of her workshops in person or online, I highly suggest you do just that.

Advancing in your career takes dedication and purchasing this book and reading it cover to cover, shows you are serious about what you want. Sure, you could look things up on the internet, but we all know the internet isn't always accurate. Take the advice of a pro who has been there and learn from her experiences.

Best of luck to all!