Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on February 22, 2008
I am a beginning crocheter. I have made a few different projects so far. So far I am finding that these Crystalites hooks are my preferred hook to use. They do tend to grip the yarn more than aluminum or steel, however they are also a lot less slippery to hold. This makes them more comfortable to use. They also definitely feel "warmer" than aluminum which makes them easier to work with for long periods.

I love the inline hook style which is why I tried these Susan Bates hooks in the first place. What a difference! I couldn't get the hang of crocheting for more than a year until I found these inline hooks and also altered my hold to "pencil" style. It didn't take long to get a good rhythm going after that, and a fairly regular gauge. I am quite pleased with these hooks in all sizes so far.

I wish they could make a hybrid with a metal hook and shank with a Crystalites grip and back shaft. That would be a great hook for more types of yarn.

All in all, these Crystalites are a great purchase.
on April 11, 2011
Back in the late 1960's many plastics came from overseas. The bad plastics had the smell of a "skunk". Honest. Well these crochet hooks are fantastic but you must take them out of the plastic bag and let them air out for a day or two. It's the plastic bag that has the smell of a skunk - not the crochet hooks. LOLSusan Bates Multi-Pack-Contains Sizes L,M,N,P
on March 22, 2010
These are the best crochet hooks, regardless of size. They have that slanted slice below the hook that ensures smooth crocheting. I got the recommendation first from the book, The Happy Hooker. I recommend these crochet hooks over other products (Boyes).
on May 22, 2012
I wasn't sure which size needle to use to attain the proper gauge for my most recent afghan, so this set of needles was perfect. However, once I started using the hooks, I found that the plastic really sticks to the yarn, so each stitch is a bit uncomfortable and slower than with a metal needle. That aside, the hook shape catches yarn and draws up loops easily. Strangely enough, the hooks also have a strong odor for the first few days, but it wears off. Although the needles are functional, I find myself missing the weight and smoothness of metal and will return to it! Or maybe I'll try bamboo!
on June 18, 2012
I took a crochet class during the winter, and my instructor said that the only crochet hooks she will use are Susan Bates hooks. I can see why! I crochet every single day, using a variety of hook sizes and yarn weights. Of couse I have the standard set of Susan Bates aluminum hooks, but I wanted a set of larger sizes, too, so I ordered these some months ago.

I have used these larger size "crystal" hooks for several projects. They are fabulous with super bulky yarns and just as nice with light worsted for obtaining a lacy look and feel. I enjoy using Susan Bates Multi-Pack L,M,N and P sized hooks so much that I recently purchased a second set through Amazon just to have a spare.
on December 10, 2011
Some may look down on plastic hooks, but I must say that I achieve the most consistent results with these. They are warm to the touch, less slippery than metal, and less "catchy" than bamboo. Love the bright colors - I can always tell exactly what size I am using.
on January 14, 2014
Very smooth working with Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I like the finger indents on the handle that allows control of hook position. I've used Crystalites regular size crochet hooks in the past- to the point I wore one out and broke the handle. Size is easy to read embossed on the handle, and easy to distinguish by color.
on October 12, 2013
But the plastic is really "sticky" to the yarn (not tacky to touch). So yarn doesn't slide up and down easily and can interfere with the rhythm of my crocheting. I've started abandoning the plastic ones for wooden.
on January 20, 2015
Great variety set and thick enough to survive dropping or leaning on, at this gauge--I have smaller needles in the same material, but only 2 have survived. These work well for having handy in your bag with your carrying-stash in case of sudden inspiration, but they aren't for finer work since they are apt to have little snags that mess up expensive funkier yarns or materials. They even catch on some of the "strings" I use for heavier pieces, and can ruin the texture if you aren't careful. I mostly keep them to stick in my pocket in case I have a moment to practice a new stitch on unimportant yarns or cords. Inexpensive set for trying out to see if you want to learn to crochet--but the smaller sizes break too easily and are frustrating to a beginner! At least, I found it so.
on October 3, 2013
i am beginning crochet and wanted to make winter accessories so decided to buy this set which offers hooks on the large end of the spectrum. I was originally hoping to buy these size hooks from my favorite brand- Clover, but they appear to have discontinued making these larger size hook sets (very disappointed to see this!). The material is plastic but they do the job. I am happy with the purchase and the price for this set.