5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting documentary
This documentary includes interviews with people directly involved with the crisis, but also provides the context and the history. My son watched this for a history project, and the whole family found the documentary very informative and interesting. Although we knew the outcome, it was suspenseful!
Published on January 16, 2013 by faz

Published 5 months ago by Tubular Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting documentary, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Opportunity to better understand the other sides, April 28, 2013
Guilherme FFa Sortino (Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, BR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
Very interesting the interviews showing the tension and the thoughts of the other sides.
I do recommend to those willing to better understand the other sides of this very importante historical moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Hand Account, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
I was aboard the Tin Can that had the VDS (Variable Depth Sonar) and tracked the sub that eventually surfaced after
many long hours. At the time we did not know about the Nukes and not till years later did we all find that we were the
closest we could have been to WWIII. It was good to know that for the sake of a few cool heads I wouldn't be here to
talk about those days. The ships name was USS Borie (DD-704). I'm sure the folks back in Russia never knew also
but the ones who did were happier with the outcome. Nukes...if we gotta have em, we better home we never use em.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening Event!, May 30, 2014
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
A true story of a very frightening event from my youth! Watching this DVD, which was very well done, brought it all back. VERY WELL DONE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go ..., December 1, 2014
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
I saw the Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War on TV and I wanted to get the DVD. I lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis and remember the Air Raid Drills that we had at school and having to crawl underneath our desks for the drill.

It brings back memories on how close we came to a world war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good documentary. Would recommend to anyone interested in this ..., July 28, 2014
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
Very good documentary. Would recommend to anyone interested in this time period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 4, 2014
Well worth the watch!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content destroyed by stupid, inept, annoying handling of newsreel film, September 1, 2014
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
Once again, documentary film makers made the decision to grossly mishandle vintage newsreel film by changing the original aspect ratio of the black and white film (4:3) into stretched pseudo widescreen (16:9), thereby distorting the video (the squashed face effect). I saw this documentary twice on PBS and I would never buy this or any other DVD that's made so ineptly.

This one hour show is intercut throughout with contemporary talking head interviews and vintage newsreel film. Apparently, some directors favor squashed faces for the black and white newsreel images so that the viewer's TV screen is completely filled up at all times to match the modern interviews, even if it distorts the former. For the viewer, there's no way to correct this mishandling except by constantly hitting the "picture size" or "aspect ratio" button on the remote. For me, the 1962 images are what's important, so I just left my TV on 4:3 to properly view them and put up with "tall and skinny" distortion of the modern interviews.

I don't know if it's just laziness, stupidity, or disrespect for history that causes some directors to use the squashed face technique. Ken Burns never uses it in his wonderful films on PBS, such as the World War II film, The War. I guess this mishandling is done because some directors fear that modern viewers might freak out if they don't see their 16:9 TVs completely filled up. Oh no! The whole screen isn't filled! I can't take it! Millions would commit suicide, bashing their heads through their TV screens! Children would be forever scarred! Drenched in the shame of it all, the sun, would refuse to rise again!

Of course, several solutions can be used: Either show the newsreel film in the proper, original aspect ration, 4:3, with black bars on the left and right (pillarboxed) or replace the black bars with some kind of color matte designed to fool the eye and fill up the screen but leave the newsreel film alone (like they do on vintage Antiques Roadshow episodes). The latter technique softens any transitions between film shot in different eras; I barely notice the technique being used on the Roadshow.

A third, less valid technique can be used, that is, the zoom. The newsreel film can be zoomed in to expand the image to 16:9 without distorting the aspect ratio, so it looks normal. The drawbacks are that the top and bottom of every shot is cropped off, so maybe 20-30% of the image is lost, and graininess is increased. This technique was used on the Seinfeld episodes currently in syndication, all designed and shot originally in 4:3, but now shown in zoomed 16:9. They look good, but sometimes characters heads or objects in Jerry's apartment like the coffee table get cut off (where's Kramer's high hair???!!!).

According to PBS.org, Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go To War was produced by John Murray of Crossing the Line Productions and co-directed by John Murray and Emer Reynolds. Shame on them and a pox on both their houses!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Events, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD)
I was surprised by many of the things that happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I did not appreciate how significant this time was in our country's history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 5, 2014

Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War
Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War by Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go to War (DVD - 2012)
$24.99 $14.78