5.0 out of 5 stars an essential addition
Published on January 23, 2004 by scientific mom

3.0 out of 5 stars not same quality as 12"
Published on August 3, 2008 by Nordic Norm

5.0 out of 5 stars an essential addition, January 23, 2004
This pan, like all the Cuisinart pans, is my favorite to use when I need a 12" skillet. It's a heavy-duty even-heating pan like it's "sisters and brothers"! If you already have any Chef's Classic pots or pans, the lid that fits on any pan with item number ending in 30 will fit on this pan. (Item number is on the bottom). With all the Chef's Classic pans, you usually don't have to turn the heat up as high as a cheapy pan; instead of high, use medium-high, for example. Since this does not have a non-stick coating, you'll often need oil for cooking. Here's a tip: hot pan, cold oil. Let the pan heat up before adding the oil. Also, these pans heat up FAST so watch your food! If anything gets burned-on badly, the pans just need a little soaking (maybe an hour, not overnight). Or, add water to the pan and "boil" the burned-on food off. I also use Barkeepers Friend cleaner to keep them shiny and looking new! Take note: if you've ever purchased a set of Cuisinart from a discount warehouse (i.e. Sam's Club, Cosco) there are not individual pans available that will match your set exactly. I called Cuisinart and found out that particular pan style is available only in sets from discount warehouses. BUT, the Chef's Classic line matches very closely, it's the closest match available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Large pan, even heat -, January 9, 2004
T. Vierra (Center of California, United States) - See all my reviews
Even though this pan has the "disc" of aluminum in the base rather than all the way up the sides, it heats very evenly. You can't beat the price. It's big enough to be very versatile for major frying or lighter sautéing. It's also big enough to use a grill for small to medium items.
I do miss having a lid so on those rare occasions where I needed a lid, I just covered it with some aluminum foil. Hokey, I know, but until I purchased another pan for my dishes that need simmering, that was the trick I used.
As long as you watch the heat, cleanup is not too bad. I have rarely had to scrub this pan.
Since it would be great with a lid, I gave it 4 stars. This pan really should not be sold without one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Electric Stove, October 19, 2003
By A Customer
I received this pan several days ago and have waited until I could give it a good workout over in action. I have an electric stove, not by choice,and I've had bad luck before with some pans heating unevenly and food sticking even when I added oil or butter. I used this pan to brown some ground beef, saute onions, garlic and bell peppers. I simply washed the pan as suggested in the handy "use and care" pamplet included, set it on the stove and turned the heat to medium. The pan heated quickly,evenly and I did everything I wanted without any problems. No sticking, no burning and it was a dream to clean up.

3.0 out of 5 stars not same quality as 12", August 3, 2008
This review is from: Cuisinart 722-36H Chef's Classic Stainless 14-Inch Open Skillet with Helper Handle (Kitchen)
Like most of this line, the 12" version of this pan is an excellent pan and value, and seldom leaves my range top. The 14" however is a disappointment because its material/construction is not nearly as heavy-duty. Notably, unlike the 12" pan the 14" is NOT stamped "18/10". Another telltale is that the 14" weighs only 4 oz. more than the 12". Result: relatively lower thermal mass, less even heat distribution and retention, more hot spots and burning. In fairness, the larger diameter will put the much thinner sides farther away from most ranges flame, but I wish they'd made the base at least as heavy duty- as the 12". Caveat emptor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, December 14, 2005
This is a great skillet for lots of dishes - from ommelet, to stir fry, to steak. I do own a couple non-stick skillets for making crepes and scrambled eggs, but this is the one I use the most. This skillet WILL NOT stick if pre-heated with low or med heat for most dishes. If I'm sauteing chicken or cooking steaks, I'd pre heat it with high heat before adding butter, then add the room temperatured meat (not frozen), then lower the heat to med-high and I'm all set for a good piece of steak. Deglazing the pan create thick, delicious sauces, something that can't be achieved with a non-stick pan. My fried eggs come out fried, and not steamed like it would with a non-stick pan. The discoloration (called heat marks) on some S/S cookware can be easily cleaned with S/S cleanser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookwear, December 27, 2006
Paula (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I bought this pan on a special sale and it gets used almost every day. Without a non-stick surface, spray a little Pam and it cleans up very easily. Let it soak for 5 minutes and use a non-steel scrubbing pad (one side sponge, one side a mild abrasive). Steel wool will scratch the surface.

Cooks evenly on medium or low heat. Can also go into the oven.

Without the non-stick surface, stainless steel pans and pots last virtually forever and always look and feel great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality pan, February 17, 2005
I've had this pan for a few months now and use it quite often. Though it is not a non-stick pan, the food doesn't really stick and clean up is easy. Just pre-heat the pan with low heat before adding your food and you should be OK. It has a nice heavy feel to it and is a very good looking piece of cookware. Most stainless cookware will have some discoloration on the bottom even after just one use. If you want to get rid of the discoloration and keep your cookware looking new, there's a product called Bar Keepers Friend cleanser that does an excellent job (I ordered mine at barkeepersfriend.com, or you can pick some up at Linen and Things.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as they should be, April 21, 2008
I was initially very pleased, the first time I saw this line of pans. They had all the features I was looking for, and at a reasonable price (as opposed to the price gouging of All-Clad, Calphalon, etc...). But then I bought one and carefully made my inspection of it. To make a long story short, I went through FOUR of these skillets, and absolutely none of them made the grade. I'm not talking about being nitpicky about a tiny scratch somewhere. Two of the four pans had moderate corrosion pitting and black spots on the handles. One of them had damaged metal around the lip of the pan. And worst of all - three out of four of them were CRACKED at the weld joints at the base of the handle, on one of the two forks where they meet the plate that's riveted to the pan itself. I don't know about you, but a good price isn't worth the possibility of third degree burns down the entire front of my body on the day those weld joints give way completely.

These Cuisinart pans fall under the category of things that *look* really good for the price, but whose actual quality is far less than it appears. Maybe some of you have gotten very lucky in the batch of pans you received - and if I had gotten one bad pan, I could have chalked it up to a lemon - after all, everyone has them from time to time. But FOUR pans being bad? With THREE of them having a serious defect in the structural integrity? Sorry - they lost me as a customer of their entire brand, and I would caution others not to be blinded by the shiny looks of a poorly made pan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes up a lot of stove top real estate!, October 6, 2007
Was looking for the 18/10 stainless rating on the box when I received the pan but it was nowhere to be found. It is prominantly displayed on the other Cuisinart pieces I have ordered so perhaps it is not. Regardless, it is a nice pan with which I can at last cook an entire sheet of chicken pieces at once. One concern was the size of the pan compared to the burner size. The largest burner is about 9 inches in diameter whereas the pan bottom is a full 12 inches. My concern was even heating especially when simmering. Well, I found I just need to adjust the burner a little higher than I was used to and stir things up a little more often to ensure the center doesn't get over heated. I am using a glass top electric BTW. Would definately recommend. Oh, since there is no top I use a lid to a large electric wok I have. It just happens to fit. If you need to know the pan is a litle over 14 inches at the very top diameter.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent pan for a very good price - can't beat the value, July 8, 2012
Jeffrey Howard "jeffreii" (Coral Gables, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
I recently got rid of every item in my kitchen with a non-stick/teflon coating due to the health risks associated with them. I have now switched over to stainless steel or cast iron only. With regards to skillets, all I had was a cheapo Walmart 8" stainless steel skillet that I got in a set of pots and pans. Those had solid reviews just like this Cuisinart does...but there's no comparison in quality. The Cuisinart wins by a mile.

This is a solid and well made skillet. It feels heavy and sturdy - there are no loose joints or anything that could make it feel like it wasn't top quality.

I've been using it for about two months now and the results have been great. If you aren't familiar with cooking on stainless steel, you need to know the tips and tricks to preventing sticking. Sometimes it's going to happen and you just have to work a little harder to clean it up. I'm no pro but here's what I try and do:

-Use lower heat than you're used to. For me it's not necessary to use the same level of heat I used with my teflon pans.
-Try not to put ice cold items into a hot pan - you should allow whatever you're cooking to come closer to room temperature before putting it in the skillet.
-When cooking with oil, there seems to be a good result when letting the pan heat up some before adding the oil. This creates an "oil slick" type of effect where the heat on the pan prevents it from binding to the oil.
-Speaking of which, be sure to use some sort of lubrication - oil/fat - when cooking. There are some scenarios where it doesn't seem to help at all but it's generally a good idea.
-Don't burn your food!

Also worth noting is that I went a little crazy and bought the 14" version because I figured bigger pan, low price, bigger is better...then I realized I have 8" burners on my electric stove...I was worried it would not work well but it hasn't been a problem at all. The aluminum in the base of the skillet conducts and spreads heat very well. While the outer portions are not as hot, since they aren't on direct heat, they get plenty hot to cook things - it's more than just a warming zone. For example, when I make pancakes in the morning, I cook the pancakes in the middle of the pan (can do 4-5 medium sized pancakes) and I put the sausage around the edges. By the time I've made a few batches of pancakes, the sausages are cooked. If I'm not careful to rotate them they will still burn.