Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Size: 17 Piece|Color: Silver|Change

on December 13, 2005
Let me preface this review with the fact that I am Italian and raised 5 children on daily home-cooked meals. The kitchen is the center of my home. So when my daughter got her own apartment out west and asked for a set of pots for Christmas, I wanted to make sure I got her a quality set that would last her for years and years. I knew what I wanted for her, but didn't know which brand to purchase. Non-stick was out (I have never liked it). The pots also had to be both dishwasher/oven safe, and I wanted the pot handles to be riveted into the pot. Off I went to the mall with my "specifications" in hand to look at the different brands and sets available. Boy was I amazed at how many there were! I took my time and examined each set. Not only did I look at the sets, but I also handled the sets. This is VERY important. Many of the quality sets were so heavy that I needed two hands to lift the larger pieces, and although I could lift the smaller saucepans, I had difficulty tilting them to the side to pour. Others had handles that were very uncomfortable to use. Then I came upon the Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 10-piece cookware set. I was very impressed by the quality. They were heavy grade yet easy to handle. They also met my other specifications listed above AND they looked really nice as well. The price of $149 was quite unbelievable. I drove home and ran straight to my computer and ordered the set through Amazon. I got free shipping and had the set delivered directly to my daughter. I also used the holiday bonus coupon for $25 off my order. I was so impressed with the set and the deal Amazon was offering, a few days later I purchased a second set through Amazon for myself. I LOVE them. They cook beautifully on my gas range and clean up well in the dishwasher. The handles DO NOT get hot while cooking, which totally surprised me. Do be careful with the lid handles though. They will get hot if cooking on higher heat. I haven't had a problem with delicate foods burning due to the high thermoconductivity of the pans; however, my stove is a professional grade 6-burner unit. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. All I can say is this set looks great, cooks great, handles great, and sells at a great price. What more can you ask for?
1515 comments|1,427 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2003
After comparing major cookware lines, All Clad, Emeril, Wolfgang Puck, Jamie Oliver online, as well as in major stores, Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Linen n Things, etc., I purchased Cuisinart's Chefs Classic set. Quality, features, and value could not be matched! The price (with free shipping), also included a kitchen tools set, a nice bonus.
Thanksgiving was my big "road test". The quality is outstanding! The mirror finish stainless kettles have a nice weight, well-fitting lids, classy sturdy riveted handles, flat bottoms that fit nicely on the burners, and stay-cool handles. They heat evenly. I do not like nonstick cookware, and by adding a little water to the pan after cooking, cleanup was a breeze. I put them all in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling.
I bought a chrome potrack and display them proudly. They indeed look and perform like very high-priced cookware. This was indeed a great purchase!
Any minor spotting or discloration from use, disappears like magic with the use of a small amount of Barkeeper's Friend powder.
I am so pleased with my set that I have already added to it; I purchased a 2qt. and 3qt. saucepan, and the 5 1/2 qt. saute pan. The saute pan is a work of art; especially good for those big pieces of meat on Holidays, and at $39.99, an unbelievable value. I plan on purchasing several as gifts.
It is also ovenproof to 550 degrees; something not found in the plastic-lid products.
You will not be disappointed.
44 comments|487 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2004
The day after Thanksgiving, "Black Friday" is the official kick off of the Holiday shopping season. I have never participated in this event, however those 20% coupons to shop between 6AM and 11AM enticed me. I needed a new cookware set, since my old pots and pans dated back to before I was born.

I am known as the "Research King" & "The Negotiator", so yes I did my homework. I was going to purchase a non stick set for $300.00, however you have to "feel" the set before buying. Is the weight even, do the covers fit right - you know what I mean. NOTE: I cook every night and have for years. I am not a Chef, but can cook a great meal.

Right next to Anolon at Macy's Dept. store, was the Cuisinart 10 Piece Classic Stainless cookware. It looked good, the weight was even, the lids fit great, but why so inexpensive? I researched Cuisinart and knew it was a good brand, so after playing around with the pots and pans for 20 minutes I bought the set! So this is what I got:

- 8" & 10" Skillet

- 1.5 QT & 3 QT Saucepan with covers

- 3.5 QT Saute with helper handle and cover

- 8 QT Stockpot with cover

FREE Gift with purchase: 2 QT Saucier

Extra Purchase: 5 1/2 QT All purpose pan with cover.

So, all in all, I got a 13 piece set for the grand total of: $130.75

Yes, I took advantage of a 20% coupon and then an additional 10% coupon. All 13 pieces are part of Cusinarts's Cheft's Classic line.

My Experience: (Rate by school grade A through F)

* Appearance: All the pieces looked great. The set looks as if it should be worth $500.00 (Grade A )

* Weight: The weight of each piece is solid and even. An important point because I flip my food and move the pans a lot while cooking. Note: These pieces do not feel cheap. Very good solid feel. (A-)

* Covers: The lids are a little light in weight, however they create a vacum seal when the heat is turned down. They do a better job then I expected. Normally with lighter lids you think they would wiggle and pop off, but these hold tight! (B )

* Handles: Solid Stainless steel, riveted handle. Solid feel and yes they stay cool. Also long enough to get a good grip. (A)

* Heat Distribution - Cuisinart recommends cooking on lower heat. Yes, this is true. The aluminum bottoms heat quickly and there are no hot spots. Trust me, use low heat. (A )

* Sticking - Well, these are not non stick. I used most of these pots and pans already to reheat our Thanksgiving dinner. Some things really stuck to the pots even when using PAM. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, stuck like glue. Next morning: Bacon stuck, but eggs did not. Go figure.... (B-)

* Clean Up: Water and soap in pan right after cooking. Yes this works well, but I have always done this. (B)

* Dishwasher: Yes, they are dishwasher safe, however after one cycle, the inside bottoms of a couple of pans had a purple tint to it. So, I have decided just to hand wash these for now. (Until I get lazy). (C-)

Final grade: B
1212 comments|487 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2008
This is a great set. I bought it to replace my T-fal non-stick cookware because of all the news reports about non-stick Teflon particulates coming off and the possibility of causing cancer. Let me address some of the concerns I read in other reviews...First off, it doesn't burn food as some of those 1 star haters describe. You just have to know how to watch and cook your food. Second, all food does not stick to it. A little Pam goes a long way. Scrambled eggs and bacon come out just fine. Over easy eggs do stick a little but it is manageable. For those concerned about this and don't like to tend and maneuver their food during cooking I recommend keeping a small non-stick pan on hand. Third, they are not hard to clean. Soak for a few minutes in Dawn dish detergent and food comes right off. Sure, you can't take them right off the stove and into the dishwasher and expect them to come out gleaming. Most stuff needs a pre-rinse and most people should know that. Fourth, they are not, "thin cheap pieces of junk." They are good quality stainless. I ask this, how thick do you want your cookware to be? If your looking for heavy cast iron weight or $1000 dollar cookware, this may not be for you. For most of us its just fine. As for those who claim copper coated is the best, think again. This cookware is rated at 550 degrees. That means you can cook at high heat and stick them in the oven. Copper can't do that. The handles are great too, I can grab the pan while cooking and not worry about it burning me. The only thing I would have liked is glass lids so I can see the food cooking but that's just personal thing and I can manage. I hope this helps a bit :-)
22 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2015
Do not even try to pre-heat these pans. They are dangerous. If you accidentally leave it on the burner for a mere 2-3 minutes on too high of a setting they become explosive.. even if it's not the highest heat setting. I personally have just a normal conventional/electric coil stove top that it was used on when it happened to me. I contacted Cuisinart and all they did was send me another pan, saying that I would have to claim the damage from the exploding aluminum under my house insurance.

This stuff is no joke, I barely picked up the hot pan and liquid aluminum shot out of the bottom where it's supposed to be sealed. I got pretty nasty burns on my feet from it shooting across the floor, and it lit my kitchen cabinets on fire. It all happened so fast... from cooking pasta one minute to shooting molten lava. Thank god it didn't go into my eyes when it shot out.

See attached photos for a few visuals of the defect.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2006
I want to add a dose of realism to the many positive reviews here. We've had this cookware set for about 5 months. It comes packaged very nicely, seems well made and looks very good. And there's the rub. Unlike a lot of stainless cookware, these are very shiny. If you like that, you'll be satisfied, but you should bear in mind that the finish is fragile. It's easy to scratch and easy to discolor. We use the steamer every day and on one occasion I accidentally boiled it dry. I took the pot off the heat very quickly, but the result was a faint gold tint on the outside that cannot be removed. I don't really mind the color change, but it worries me.

I've used the frying pan a couple of times to make eggs and here again the shine isn't necessarily a good thing. Butter actually beads up on the surface as it melts and you have to use an awful lot if you want it to cover the bottom of the pan.

The instructions warn you many times not to use steel wool for cleaning. So far, we've been okay with a plastic scrubber pad, and, especially after a soaking, things clean up easily. But the fact that I've been warned not to use the most obvious cleaning method is worrisome.

Pot handles do indeed stay cool. The lids, however, can get very hot. Also, the edges of the lids face up and out. This is common now, but my older pans had lids that that were turned into the pan. The outward-facing design guarantees that condensation will form on the underside of the lids, and will drip pretty badly when you first remove them from a boiling pot. One good feature of the lid handles is that you can hang them on a pot rack.

Finally, the steamer has several extra ridges around the bottom and vegetables inevitably stick to those areas. Again, a soaking is necessary to get them clean.

All in all, a useful, sturdy set, well made, and a good value -- but with the caveat that the shine might not be what you want.
1313 comments|191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After researching various kind of pot sets and reading reviews in Amazon, I bough this set last September. They are shining and seems good build quality. However, after about 6 month of use, the 3.5qt pot broke. Yeah, it broke, literally. (Please see the picture I uploaded, which is next to the product image.) It is kind of surprise, as these pots look very solid and I use this pot not very frequently.

So, I contact the manufacture about the pot and offered to send them the images. After a week, I got a phone call from the manufacture and the representative is very nice. However, the only way they can offer the warranty is for me to send the pot to them together with $7 for return shipping, which means I need to pay the shipping for both ways. If this issue is within warranty, they will send me another one.

Considering the weight and size of the pot, it seems pretty obvious that it is cheaper to buy a new pot, and the representative was aware of this.

So, I will have to buy a new pot, just not from this company.
review image review image
2626 comments|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
I finally decided to splurge and treat myself to some "upper shelf" level cookware. After surviving college and my parents house with cruddy warped aluminum non-stick pans that never seemed to cook things properly, this was a welcome change. It did take some getting used to however and folks should take note of that if, like me, they're transtioning from cheap aluminum nonstick cookware to this, it will take some getting used to.

Now I have a ceramic glasstop electric stove. It's nothing fancy and folks who have dealt with warped pans before know, its usefulness decays with how warped your pans get. As such, I had a tendency to put the main burner on max heat when I was doing anything short of cooking an egg because so much heat just wasn't conducting properly to the pan. You should quickly learn to get used to not putting the heat so high with these pans. To say they conduct heat efficiently is an understatement. For example, when cooking bacon, in my cheap aluminum pan, I'd usually turn the heat to an 8 or 9 to get the bacon cooking, but for these pans I'll turn it all the way down to a 5 or 6. It's adjustments like this that will go a long way to improving your relationship with them and the results of your cooking. Be sure to experiment frequently to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Next, to keep them looking great and also to deal with the occaisional burnt on crud, invest in Barkeepers Friend. Seriously, do it. Before you even think about buying stainless steel cookware, invest in a can of this or something like it. While regular detergent does do a good job of cleaning these pans and pots, if you want it to look really nice or clean out the burnt, stuck on stuff (which will happen when you're first getting used to these guys) and water spots, you'll need this cleanser. Using it will go a long way in making sure your cookware lasts as long as it should, which is to say a long time!

Now for the pans themselves (I figured I should get around to reviewing 'em!) Overall after using the set for a couple of months now I'm thoroughly pleased with the performance of both the pots and the pans. The handles feel solid and as long as you control the heat, they'll perform for you! Great set for someone looking to upgrade!
on June 18, 2006
Ups:

-They are decent pans, looks great when you first take them out.

-They are sturdy and I use metal utensils to cook, I like that.

-The attached aluminum plate in the bottom helps spread and retain heat, if your stove isn't that powerful.

Downs:

-I like to sear and stir fry a lot with hot pans, so they will discolor a little with heat. Overheated oil will cause black oil spots on the pan that are hard to remove.

-You need the pan to be hot so that it doesn't stick, and you will need to use a little more oil than typical. If you don't do either of these, your non-greasy food WILL stick to the pan.

-The aluminum plate takes some time to heat up.

-The aluminum plate reduces the responsiveness of "lowering the flames" on your stove. Less control.

What this set needs:

Large Pan

Non-stick omlette pan

Wok
99 comments|360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2005
This cookware is well made with rivited handles like what is used in professional kitchens. I recieved my order in less time than was estimated. My order arrived in well packed boxes with no damage.
This cookware heats eavenly and is easy to clean as long as you clean as you go. For the stovetop, the long handles stay cool but you may want to use protection on the small handles. This cookware is also oven safe to 500 degrees. This set should last for years of trouble free service. I highly recomend it as a starter set for those that are newly maried, or new to the kitchen. I would recomend a second 1.5 quart sause pan (for those that cook for 1 or 2.) I also recomend adding the 2 quart sause pan (or 2 for larger families) to round out the set. For those that make scrambled eggs frequently you may want to look at the chef's classic nonstick skillets as well.
Things you have to remember:
1: This is not a nonstick set of cookware... you will have to clean it before residual food drys onto it or you'll be using some elbow grease to get it clean.
2: The disk on the bottom is attached with epoxy and will seperate if you boil it dry and let it sit on a hot burner so don't let that happen.
3: Do not use high heat settings especally with gas cooking the flame will discolor the pan. Medium heat is just right.
4: It's cookware you will use it, and it'll scratch. It's not for decroation if you want pretty pans, get 2 sets the price is right.
Amazon's price with the additon of the 4 pc kitchen tool set (free) the super saver shiping, and the $25.00 may discount (I noticed there's a june discount now as well) made this set much less than was available at the mall and worth the wait for shipping.

Added 12/11/2005
After 6 months of everyday use, the finish on this cookware is still very nice even with a few scratches. I have noticed that I use lower heat on the stove (gas) meaning a lower monthly bill. I have noticed that when using the dishwasher there is some minor discoloration but that is easily removed with barkeepers friend. I am still verry happy with this cookware, and have added other itmes this line.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse