Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cuisinart 77-7 Chef's Classic Stainless 7-Piece Cookware Set
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Size: 7 Piece|Change

on December 13, 2005
Let me preface this review with the fact that I am Italian and raised 5 children on daily home-cooked meals. The kitchen is the center of my home. So when my daughter got her own apartment out west and asked for a set of pots for Christmas, I wanted to make sure I got her a quality set that would last her for years and years. I knew what I wanted for her, but didn't know which brand to purchase. Non-stick was out (I have never liked it). The pots also had to be both dishwasher/oven safe, and I wanted the pot handles to be riveted into the pot. Off I went to the mall with my "specifications" in hand to look at the different brands and sets available. Boy was I amazed at how many there were! I took my time and examined each set. Not only did I look at the sets, but I also handled the sets. This is VERY important. Many of the quality sets were so heavy that I needed two hands to lift the larger pieces, and although I could lift the smaller saucepans, I had difficulty tilting them to the side to pour. Others had handles that were very uncomfortable to use. Then I came upon the Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 10-piece cookware set. I was very impressed by the quality. They were heavy grade yet easy to handle. They also met my other specifications listed above AND they looked really nice as well. The price of $149 was quite unbelievable. I drove home and ran straight to my computer and ordered the set through Amazon. I got free shipping and had the set delivered directly to my daughter. I also used the holiday bonus coupon for $25 off my order. I was so impressed with the set and the deal Amazon was offering, a few days later I purchased a second set through Amazon for myself. I LOVE them. They cook beautifully on my gas range and clean up well in the dishwasher. The handles DO NOT get hot while cooking, which totally surprised me. Do be careful with the lid handles though. They will get hot if cooking on higher heat. I haven't had a problem with delicate foods burning due to the high thermoconductivity of the pans; however, my stove is a professional grade 6-burner unit. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. All I can say is this set looks great, cooks great, handles great, and sells at a great price. What more can you ask for?
1515 comments|1,430 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2003
I purchased this set about six weeks ago am very pleased with it to date. I enjoy cooking and cook most meals "from scratch," rarely relying on anything pre-packaged for a meal, so these pots and pans get a workout on a daily basis. Since purchasing them I've cooked dishes from oatmeal to pork tenderloin, squash soup to rice pilaf.
The set is good looking, the lids fit perfectly, the pot handles are comfortable to grip even with a full pot (much better than my one Calphalon pan). In my kitchen, if it isn't dishwasher safe, it is evicted, and these pots and pans do just fine in the dishwasher, unlike the aforementioned Calphalon. The pans are satisfyingly weighty, yet well balanced and the long pot handles stay cool to the touch (unless they are too close to another burner or the oven vent). The lid handles do get hot, but I always have a potholder handy.
Cooking: I find the cookware is very responsive to my gas range; the pans conduct heat very efficiently and it is essential when using these pans to keep that in mind. I recommend starting with a lower temperature than you think you need and increasing the heat if necessary until you become accustomed to the way the pans respond to heat. The pans heat very evenly, I've successfully melted chocolate with no burning on the lowest heat setting, and rice cooks perfectly at a low simmer with the lid firmly in place. I prefer these over non-stick pans when sautéing, these pans allow good browning which leaves yummy bits behind for deglazing into a sauce; these pans perform well in that capacity. The rolled rims mean liquids pour driplessly from the pan, a feature I find extremely valuable. The entire set is oven safe and I find that also an excellent feature. You can quickly sear a pork tenderloin and then pop the skillet right in the oven to roast it to perfection. One less dish to clean, all the cooked-on bits in one pan to deglaze.
Cleaning: I have not had any problems with cleaning the pans after use. Following the manufacturers recommendation, I add a little water to the warm pan and leave it to soak in the sink during dinner. Then the pan is loaded in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes. Occasionally food may stick around the rivets, but the dishwasher usually takes care of that with ease. The manufacturer suggests avoiding citrus dishwashing products so I do. The mirror like finish is beautiful, but this is actually my least favorite feature of the set. Fingerprints and water spots show up readily. This in no way interferes with the cooking value of the set, but if you are concerned with the way the set looks, this is a flaw. If you must have it, a quick wipe with Barkeepers Friend or Cameo polish will restore the mirror finish.
The set includes a 1-1/2- & 3-quart saucepan, 8-quart stockpot, and 10-inch skillet. Lids for the saucepans and stockpot are included. I received the bonus 2-quart sautee pan with my set which has proved very useful. I would have preferred a 12 inch skillet to the 10 inch but even so I find the set an excellent value. I saw no need of an 8 inch skillet which is why I chose this set instead of the 10 piece set. I hope Cuisinart will be adding to the open stock available in this line. I have the 16-quart stockpot with steamer basket and pasta insert, but would love to find a pasta insert and steamer for the 8 quart stock-pot.
I think this set is an excellent value, and will satisfy me for years to come treated with a bit of care. I am replacing a set of Copper-bottomed Revere Ware my mother received as a wedding gift in 1950 (and used daily until she gave them to me 20 years ago), and I am hoping these will last as long, if not longer.
1111 comments|337 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2003
After comparing major cookware lines, All Clad, Emeril, Wolfgang Puck, Jamie Oliver online, as well as in major stores, Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Linen n Things, etc., I purchased Cuisinart's Chefs Classic set. Quality, features, and value could not be matched! The price (with free shipping), also included a kitchen tools set, a nice bonus.
Thanksgiving was my big "road test". The quality is outstanding! The mirror finish stainless kettles have a nice weight, well-fitting lids, classy sturdy riveted handles, flat bottoms that fit nicely on the burners, and stay-cool handles. They heat evenly. I do not like nonstick cookware, and by adding a little water to the pan after cooking, cleanup was a breeze. I put them all in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling.
I bought a chrome potrack and display them proudly. They indeed look and perform like very high-priced cookware. This was indeed a great purchase!
Any minor spotting or discloration from use, disappears like magic with the use of a small amount of Barkeeper's Friend powder.
I am so pleased with my set that I have already added to it; I purchased a 2qt. and 3qt. saucepan, and the 5 1/2 qt. saute pan. The saute pan is a work of art; especially good for those big pieces of meat on Holidays, and at $39.99, an unbelievable value. I plan on purchasing several as gifts.
It is also ovenproof to 550 degrees; something not found in the plastic-lid products.
You will not be disappointed.
44 comments|489 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2004
The day after Thanksgiving, "Black Friday" is the official kick off of the Holiday shopping season. I have never participated in this event, however those 20% coupons to shop between 6AM and 11AM enticed me. I needed a new cookware set, since my old pots and pans dated back to before I was born.

I am known as the "Research King" & "The Negotiator", so yes I did my homework. I was going to purchase a non stick set for $300.00, however you have to "feel" the set before buying. Is the weight even, do the covers fit right - you know what I mean. NOTE: I cook every night and have for years. I am not a Chef, but can cook a great meal.

Right next to Anolon at Macy's Dept. store, was the Cuisinart 10 Piece Classic Stainless cookware. It looked good, the weight was even, the lids fit great, but why so inexpensive? I researched Cuisinart and knew it was a good brand, so after playing around with the pots and pans for 20 minutes I bought the set! So this is what I got:

- 8" & 10" Skillet

- 1.5 QT & 3 QT Saucepan with covers

- 3.5 QT Saute with helper handle and cover

- 8 QT Stockpot with cover

FREE Gift with purchase: 2 QT Saucier

Extra Purchase: 5 1/2 QT All purpose pan with cover.

So, all in all, I got a 13 piece set for the grand total of: $130.75

Yes, I took advantage of a 20% coupon and then an additional 10% coupon. All 13 pieces are part of Cusinarts's Cheft's Classic line.

My Experience: (Rate by school grade A through F)

* Appearance: All the pieces looked great. The set looks as if it should be worth $500.00 (Grade A )

* Weight: The weight of each piece is solid and even. An important point because I flip my food and move the pans a lot while cooking. Note: These pieces do not feel cheap. Very good solid feel. (A-)

* Covers: The lids are a little light in weight, however they create a vacum seal when the heat is turned down. They do a better job then I expected. Normally with lighter lids you think they would wiggle and pop off, but these hold tight! (B )

* Handles: Solid Stainless steel, riveted handle. Solid feel and yes they stay cool. Also long enough to get a good grip. (A)

* Heat Distribution - Cuisinart recommends cooking on lower heat. Yes, this is true. The aluminum bottoms heat quickly and there are no hot spots. Trust me, use low heat. (A )

* Sticking - Well, these are not non stick. I used most of these pots and pans already to reheat our Thanksgiving dinner. Some things really stuck to the pots even when using PAM. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, stuck like glue. Next morning: Bacon stuck, but eggs did not. Go figure.... (B-)

* Clean Up: Water and soap in pan right after cooking. Yes this works well, but I have always done this. (B)

* Dishwasher: Yes, they are dishwasher safe, however after one cycle, the inside bottoms of a couple of pans had a purple tint to it. So, I have decided just to hand wash these for now. (Until I get lazy). (C-)

Final grade: B
1212 comments|490 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2015
I recently purchased this set from a local department store, and when I got home I was curious to see what the reviews were on Amazon. I was a little worried when I read the negative comments about the cookware burning and food sticking and even trouble just boiling water.

However, when I opened the box and actually read the short pamphlet about how to care for this product I saw that the FIRST thing it mentions is to NEVER cook or boil anything at HIGH HEAT. You are only supposed to go from low to medium. This because the way this cookware is designed, it heats up very fast and very hot with only the minimal heat settings. So, medium on a stove would be the equivalent of high heat.

It makes sense that some people may have simply overlooked this, and started boiling water, cook steak etc, on high heat and then been confused as to why things were burning.
33 comments|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2008
This is a great set. I bought it to replace my T-fal non-stick cookware because of all the news reports about non-stick Teflon particulates coming off and the possibility of causing cancer. Let me address some of the concerns I read in other reviews...First off, it doesn't burn food as some of those 1 star haters describe. You just have to know how to watch and cook your food. Second, all food does not stick to it. A little Pam goes a long way. Scrambled eggs and bacon come out just fine. Over easy eggs do stick a little but it is manageable. For those concerned about this and don't like to tend and maneuver their food during cooking I recommend keeping a small non-stick pan on hand. Third, they are not hard to clean. Soak for a few minutes in Dawn dish detergent and food comes right off. Sure, you can't take them right off the stove and into the dishwasher and expect them to come out gleaming. Most stuff needs a pre-rinse and most people should know that. Fourth, they are not, "thin cheap pieces of junk." They are good quality stainless. I ask this, how thick do you want your cookware to be? If your looking for heavy cast iron weight or $1000 dollar cookware, this may not be for you. For most of us its just fine. As for those who claim copper coated is the best, think again. This cookware is rated at 550 degrees. That means you can cook at high heat and stick them in the oven. Copper can't do that. The handles are great too, I can grab the pan while cooking and not worry about it burning me. The only thing I would have liked is glass lids so I can see the food cooking but that's just personal thing and I can manage. I hope this helps a bit :-)
22 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2004
If you are looking for the quality of All-Clad or Calphalon but not necessarily willing to fork over the dough, then this is a great set for the money. Fast, even heating; good looks; versatility (stove to oven to even freezer, if need be...); and a decent combination of pieces in the set made it the perfect choice for me, after nearly a year of research.
I don't find it as difficult to clean as other reviewers have commented. I will say that the mirror finish does show wear after just a few uses. It's not bad, by any means, but just know they won't stay perfect if you plan to use them. A few notes...
*They heat up fast! Don't ever leave the pan to heat up and do something else while waiting. You'll be at the temp you need lickety split.
*It's a good idea to soak them a bit after cooking something sticky--then cleanup is a breeze.
*Lid handles do get hot when covering to allow something to simmer or boil, but I've found my handles stay cool enough to take off the stove with no problem.
*I have yet to stick them in the dishwasher, but I know you can, so that's a plus. I have a tendency to soak them, wash them, and dry them right away so as not to get the water spots on the pretty finish that others have commented on.
All in all, I'm very happy with this set. After years of hand-me-downs with handles falling off, dented sides, and nonstick coating that wears off in no time, I feel safe and healthy cooking with my new Cuisinart.
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2013
I switched to stainless steel recently to get away from nonstick. I liked the idea of SS being able to transfer from the stove to the oven, and even being able to toss it into the dishwasher if desired. I can also use whatever utensils I wish on it without fear of scraping off a chemical nonstick coating. These pans are durable and versatile. A few points:

- These pans are surprisingly thin and light weight. They have an aluminum core encapsulated in the base, but compared to my old nonstick pans they are not nearly as hefty. Initially that worried me because I was always taught that the weight of a pan was essentially directly proportional to its durability. After having used every piece in this set for a few months, I'm no longer concerned. These pans have been banged around, over heated, and accidentally had cold water splashed in them for deglazing without incident.

- They require MUCH lower heat to achieve similar results than a cast iron or nonstick pan. I rarely go above a 2 or 3 setting on my electric range when frying and sauteing in the skillets. I can get a nice golden brown crust on foods should I desire it.

- The riveted handles stay astonishingly cool to the touch. I only use a pot holder if I'm pulling a pan from a hot oven. The handles are also quite comfortable to use.

- The interior finish won't stay as pristine as it looks on your first day with them out of the box. That's fine by me - pans are made for using! But the exterior mirror finish has held up quite well. They still look attractive, if that's a concern of yours.

- The tempered glass lids fit on each piece perfectly; the seal of the lids on the pans is impressive.

Some negatives:

- Personally, I would have preferred an all metal lid and not glass. The glass gets condensation on it so it's not easy to see what's going on in the pan anyway. Just a nitpick, no love lost.

- The lid handles get hot, unlike the pan handles. That's to be expected, but keep a pot holder handy.

- The interiors don't clean up in a dishwasher was well as I'd like. In fairness, that may just be an indictment of my poor rental dishwasher than the pans. But a green Scotch Brite scrubber/sponge, regular Palmolive and a box of Bar Keepers Friend® Cleanser & Polish: 12 OZ will set things right. It's best to deglaze with hot water after each cooking session to really help loosen the caked on food. This helps with cleanup immensely.

In a nutshell:

SS is tricky to cook with at first if you're used to nonstick. The internet is full of helpful hints to make it less so. All it takes is a little practice and some experimenting and you'll be on your way. This set of pans is awesome for the price especially if you don't want to commit to something like All Clad just yet. I like this set so much that I came back here and bought this Cuisinart 722-30G Chef's Classic 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover since I like to cook large quantities of food at the start of the week.

I haven't regretted buying this set at all!
I hope this helps!
22 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2012
Let me preface this review with the fact that I am Italian and raised 5 children on daily home-cooked meals. The kitchen is the center of my home. So when my daughter got her own apartment out west and asked for a set of pots for Christmas, I wanted to make sure I got her a quality set that would last her for years and years. I knew what I wanted for her, but didn't know which brand to purchase. and I wanted the pot handles to be riveted into the pot. Off I went to the mall with my "specifications" in hand to look at the different brands and sets available. Boy was I amazed at how many there were! I took my time and examined each set. Not only did I look at the sets, but I also handled the sets. This is VERY important.

I was so impressed with the set and the deal Amazon was offering, a few days later I purchased a second set through Amazon for myself. I LOVE them. They cook beautifully on my gas range and clean up well in the dishwasher. The handles DO NOT get hot while cooking, which totally surprised me. Do be careful with the lid handles though. They will get hot if cooking on higher heat. I haven't had a problem with delicate foods burning due to the high thermoconductivity of the pans; however, my stove is a professional grade 6-burner unit. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. All I can say is this set looks great, cooks great, handles great, and sells at a great price. What more can you ask for? Cuisinart 7711G I would only recommend for anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
55 comments|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2015
Do not even try to pre-heat these pans. They are dangerous. If you accidentally leave it on the burner for a mere 2-3 minutes on too high of a setting they become explosive.. even if it's not the highest heat setting. I personally have just a normal conventional/electric coil stove top that it was used on when it happened to me. I contacted Cuisinart and all they did was send me another pan, saying that I would have to claim the damage from the exploding aluminum under my house insurance.

This stuff is no joke, I barely picked up the hot pan and liquid aluminum shot out of the bottom where it's supposed to be sealed. I got pretty nasty burns on my feet from it shooting across the floor, and it lit my kitchen cabinets on fire. It all happened so fast... from cooking pasta one minute to shooting molten lava. Thank god it didn't go into my eyes when it shot out.

See attached photos for a few visuals of the defect.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse