5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing beats a Cuisinart
I resolved before my daughter was born to make my own baby food for her when the time came. I read reviews for every other baby food maker I could find. So why did I end up buying a model that had not yet been reviewed, and was relatively expensive compared to the other, more common baby food makers?
First, I was looking for something superlatively efficient. I...
Published 22 months ago by MJD

Published 8 months ago by Sabrina S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing beats a Cuisinart, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Cuisinart BFM-1000 Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer (Baby Product)
First, I was looking for something superlatively efficient. I wanted consistent results from a compact machine. For the price I was willing to pay, the Cuisinart brand is a proven performer, and this machine lives up to the name. Admittedly, I've only had it a couple of weeks and used it a few times, but I'm very happy with the results so far. I've followed the directions exactly in terms of water amount and the size of the diced food I put in to be steamed, and the resulting puree has been perfectly consistent. I also love the efficiency of having all the steaming and pureeing in one bowl -- just turning a 3-position dial couldn't be easier.
I haven't used the bottle warming function on this or any comparable machine.
I like the size - it's about the size of a small coffee maker, like you might find in a hotel room. It has a small footprint and is unimposing on the countertop -- it doesn't scream 'baby appliance.' I'd love a model in black or stainless, but I'm not crazy enough about aesthetics to mind.
Now, this isn't essential to the review, but a tidbit for those who will otherwise spend (waste) time wondering about the measuring cup like I did -- as far as I can tell, the strange cylindrical indentation on the bottom serves a few purposes - allows for easier measurement of the small amount of water needed for the bottle warming function, displaces enough volume in the main chamber of the cup so that the markings don't overlay the rubber strip, and sits slightly off-center in the bottom of the measuring cup so that it will be easier to pour water out of it when you use it to measure water for bottle-warming. For the OCD geek types out there, you're welcome. ;)

*UPDATE*
The machine is still performing superbly. I've now made an assortment of veggies, fruits, and meat purees and have yet to find a complaint about the consistency or function of the appliance. It's so easy to throw the bowl, blade, lid (and occasionally, measuring cup) in the top rack of the dishwasher.

2.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this for the longest time... now after close inspection, will NEVER use this again!, December 26, 2013
I am now convinced that all baby food makers (steaming and pureeing with one appliance) are a waste of money and may do more harm to your child then good. I researched baby food makers for months and read through at ton of Amazon reviews before deciding to purchase this baby food maker from Cuisinart. I loved using the first two times and felt like it would be very simple to use long haul. However, by the third use, the work bowl, blade, and spatula started to show stains from the food. I had followed all directions and transferred the purees to a glass container to clean the appliance quickly every time, but it still happened. As I tried cleaning the work bowl, I found upon deeper inspection what looked like hard water deposits/burnt in areas where the food was sitting on the sides of the bowl during steaming. I couldn't get them off and contacted Cuisinart to see what could have caused the marks. Thankfully they just sent me a new bowl free of charge, even though I still had no idea what first caused the stains. I continued to use the product for months and never let the purees sit again in the work bowl in case it was the heat...

Side note here: Why can't we just manufacture a glass bowl people? That would be the day!!

Anywho, a month ago I started to become paranoid as I heard more and more about mold growth in other baby food makers. I thought to myself, if they are growing mold, why wouldn't mine be too? I can't even open up the steaming chamber to check, but I took a flashlight and peeked into the slots at the bottom of the chamber... and, let me tell you, what I found... was disgusting...

To make a long story short, I encourage you all to do the same. Putting in a vinegar/water solution to "descale" isn't enough to clean what I saw and I no longer use this product. I have started steaming and baking all of my son's meals and pulsing them in our blender and to be honest, it's more convenient now then before! I wish I would have just invested in a food processor by Cuisinart and am hoping I can do something to get one instead, but since I purchased this is May and didn't start using it until September, I think I'm out of luck. I am only giving this 2 stars because Cuisinart as an overall brand is great and their customer service helped me out before so I'm hoping they can help me out again.

Please be safe people and check your units!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this food maker.. Love!!, December 2, 2012
I am incredibly happy to have run across this food maker. All I ever heard of were the brezza, beaba and baby bullet. I have friends who have each of them and they all had similar complaints.. The container was too small so they had to make several batches. When I saw the Cuisinart made 4 cups, I decided to give it a shot and I am so happy I did. Not only can I make larger batches but it is so easy and convenient.

You cut up the fruit or veggies, add some water to the steamer compartment (in accordance to what you are making..there is a chart in the instructions) and turn the knob to steam. After it is done steaming you simply turn it to chop and you are all set. It is perfectly puréed and ready for your baby. And cleanup is a breeze as well because you only have one bowl to clean.

I can't say enough amazing things about this food maker! Worth the money as it is a fabulous product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy even dad can do it!, May 7, 2013
My wife did extensive research and insisted on this one after seeing negative reviews and recalls on all other baby food processors. We have been using it weekly for the past 3 months and have not had one problem with it. Our son is now 9 months old and loves eating all types of fresh veggies and fruits. When she makes a batch of food she stores it in green sprouts Polypropylene Freezer Cubes, Green and fills up 6-8 cubes with one batch. It is so easy to use that even I can help out and make my sons meals. You flip the switch to steam and then when the light goes off you blend it to the desired consistency.

Positive: Super easy to use
Meals are ready in about 30 minutes
Convenient
One container to deal with
Bottle warmer included but we rarely used this feature since we use glass bottles
Recipe book provided

Negative: Some water is transferred into the chamber where the food is being cooked. Apples seems to suffer this more than other fruit/veggie. My wife just added less water.

1.0 out of 5 stars MOLD growth in the steam compartment!, January 13, 2014
Similar to previous reviews, I found mold while cleaning the steam compartment. I got this product as a baby shower gift and I've only used it to steam milk bottles and haven't even use it to steam and blend food yet since my baby is only three months old. I did the suggested decalcifying with vinegar and water and noticed specks of material coming out that I thought was mineral deposits. So I repeated the treatment, agitated the vinegar/water mixture by shaking the unit sideways, dispensing the solution, and then using water to rinse out the vinegar/water residue. Each time I poured the rinsing water out, I noticed specks and chunks coming out and after the THIRD shaking and rinsing, huge chunks of black floating gunk started coming out. Ive posted a couple of pictures of the gunk and mold that came out! Gross!!!

I am keeping this thing away from my baby and will try to return it to amazon. Amazon/Cuisinart should stop selling this product and it needs to be recalled!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great. No complaints., April 2, 2014
frannyglass (West Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this baby food maker about a month ago, after reading quite a few reviews. It's great. It functions exactly as described, and it's easy to clean.

After reading the other reviews, I worry about mold. I wash all of the removable parts after each use, and I turn the machine upside down to get rid of excess water. I also leave the top door open when the machine isn't in use.

So far, so good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bottle Warmer isn't reliable, May 27, 2014
Admittedly, I bought this appliance for the food processor and didn't think I would need the bottle warmer. However, it turns out we use the bottle warmer feature a lot - at least when it lets us. If we leave the steamer in the "on" position after we're done warming a bottle OR if we steam a bottle and it doesn't get warm enough, the bottle warmer won't work again for 3-5 minutes. Anyone will tell you that 3-5 minutes with a hungry, screaming baby is terrifying. In those moments, we resort to warming water in the microwave and plunking the bottle into the water.

The baby food maker works great. But the bottle warmer - not so much. My rating reflects months of frustration waiting for the warmer to work while my child howls.

2.0 out of 5 stars Food Tastes Weird. Puree Not Fine Enough., February 27, 2014
molu (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was very excited to try this. After only three uses I'm sending it back. My main problems are the food tastes weird and it does not puree the food fine enough. My baby is only 6 months and just starting on solids. If you've purchased any brand of baby food rated for babies this age, you'd know that the food is very liquidy and the puree is super smooth.

The texture of the food this machine made was just too coarse. No matter how long I pulsed and blended...the puree was just too rough and baby didn't take to it very well. Then I tasted the food and noticed a very strong and distinct taste. It's the taste of the machine--the heating element to be specific. How do I know? Ever tried drinking water heated by a counter top coffee maker? Yup...the food that this machine makes takes like that even though I use good purified water. My baby gagged to let me know her displeasure. I'm not sure if that taste will go away as the machine is broken in. But I'm not going to find out. I sent this bad boy back.

I prefer to cook my baby's food in a steamer, in a nice 18/10 stainless steel pot, or to just bake it. Then put it in my Vitamix and blend to any consistency I need.

So, why o why did I buy this when I already have a $500 blender at home? My working mom friends told me that it was way more convenient to have a machine that does it all...so that it's easy to prep, cook, blend, clean. They also mentioned that this way, you don't lose any of the nutrients after you cook the food and transfer the cooked food to another container for processing. After trying this, I don't know if any of that is true. Cooking in a steamer, oven, pot then separately blending in my blender was just as convenient. Cleaning is about the same initially, however, I think that in the long run it is probably more work to clean and maintain this machine. You don't just wash the food processing cup after each use, you have to wash the blade and the lid, too, after each use. Then you have to perform frequent routine cleaning and maintenance on the entire machine as well to make sure the insides and the entire thing is hygienic. The argument about loosing nutrients. Well, you don't loose any if you steam or bake. And if you boil in a pot, my tip to you would be just don't use too much water when boiling so that you can dump all the nutrient rich boiling liquid in the blender with the food when you puree.

One last thing I will mention is...the steaming and processing cup and lid is plastic. Sure Cuisinart says that all the parts that touch the food is BPA free. What about the parts that touch the water? And are you really comfortable heating plastic over and over to cooking temperatures whether or not it is BPA free? Plastics all break down whether BPA free or not. I personally believe all plastics can leach, if not BPA, other chemicals into food when the plastic is exposed to high temperatures and breaks down from heat or age.

For the smartees out there. Yes, the Vitamix blending cup is poly-carbonate. But I don't cook my food in it. I let cooked food cool down before I put it in the blending cup. If that is really of concern to you, there are blenders out there with glass blending cups. Anyway, with the all concerns I have, I think cooking and blending separately is better than these all-in-one baby food makers on the market including this Cuisinart model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!, May 25, 2013
Natasha C (Hermosa Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I would 100% recommend this baby food maker! It was the easiest way to make baby food. No steam basket. It cooks then purées in the same container. It is SO EASY to use, best for your baby, less money than baby food and you don't have to pray someone didn't take out nutritious vitamins from your store bought baby food. Also, it seems a lot of the baby food is mostly bananas and a tiny bit of veggies or a lot of one food, but little of all the other nutritious foods - mainly veggies. I started my baby at 6 months with just green organic veggies. She's almost 8 months and we're finally moving towards beets and cauliflower. She ate one by one with just funny faces at first, but then got used to them all. She was interested in eating at that point, she figured she had no choice, I suppose. Who knows. every baby is different, obviously, but making baby food with this made it so simple.

I also used it to grind up organic oatmeal that I then boiled like you would normally (wisk it fast so it doesn't clump!). No baby oatmeal box needed or rice cereal. The real stuff has the iron baby needs, not just fortified with iron. I didn't give rice because she ate the oatmeal from the get go alright. I figured rice has less health benefits/nutrition than oatmeal or barley so why even give it. I think they start babies on it because it's bland in taste so it may not get rejected for picky eaters.

Anyway, I almost bought the Beaba, but I then found this one and this yields a weeks worth of food (depending on age of child), was easier and has the bottle warmer.

I haven't used it for bottle warming since I already had the Dr Brown's one from the get go. It would have been perfect to have this on my baby registry so I could have had to only get on product.

Also bought 2 sets of the "Baby Fresh" trays for freezing the baby food. I ziploc them once frozen and thaw enough for each feeding in separate covered munchkin plastic dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Beaba, July 31, 2013
This Cuisinart is top notch.

This beats the Beaba because you don't have to steam it in the basket, then dump it and process it. The Cuisinart does it all in one mixer without even having to open it.

Just twist the knob to steam, then turn it to chop when its done. Super easy, and it even has a built-in bottle warmer.

Did I mention that its top rack dishwasher safe?!

Cuisinart BFM-1000 Baby Food Maker and Bottle Warmer