Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Conair Cuisinart PowerBlend Duet BFP-10CH Blender Food Processor (Chrome/Black)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 24, 2008
We bought this blender/processor combo in February, but were a little nervous given some of the other reviews. But, a friend was using this as a drink blender at a party and raved about it. So, we bought it and thought we'd try it for a while before writing a review. So far, after pretty steady use, we love it. The ice crusher is terrific. The blender handles large capacity well. Everything has come out great.

So, how do we answer the cons that others point out? First, the noise. Uh, blenders are noisy. This doesn't seem to be any worse than any others we've owned--it's about the same as any other I've owned (Krupps, Oster). Then, the question of an oder--there was a slight oily smell when we first started using it, but that is long gone now. Yes, the food processor part is small, this is a combo unit. They are small on all combo units. And it's larger than the Krupps combo processor, for that matter the blender is larger too! Some don't care for the look. That's esthetic, and up to you. You see the picture, either you like the way it looks or you don't. I personally don't care too much, I keep it in a cabinet anyway.

All in all, we find this is a great buy. We don't need a full-size processor, this small one is perfect for what we use it for. And the blender is large and handles everything we've thrown at it; drinks, smoothies, soups, pestos, etc etc. You are not going to do better for this price.
1010 comments|431 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2008
After the motor burned out making smoothies with our old Cuisinart blender we bought the Cuisinart PowerBlend 600 7-Speed to replace it. I was attracted by the 600-watt motor and 56 ounce capacity. I noticed the manual said on page 5:

"Note: Add liguid ingredients first, then follow with solid ingredients. This will provide more consistent blending and prevent unnecessary stress on the motor."

So I started with 2 cups of orange juice and two bananas, started on the stir speed and worked up to liquefy, then added 4 scoops of soy protein powder and then slowly added 1/2 bag of frozen fruit. Other than an electical smell, I thought all was well and figured the smell was due to light oil burning off on the motors first use. I then added a few ice cubes and the thing stopped dead! I turned it off, unplugged it, let it cool down for an hour but never could get the thing to work again. Apparently the motor burned out. Calling support was no help other than recommending I return it.

If you plan on filling any of the SPB-10 series blenders near the top to make smoothies for a family of four I'd look elsewhere. I don't think the motors can handle blending liquids with the consistency of a thick shake when filled near the top.
99 comments|243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2010
We replaced a Kitchenaid food processor and Oster blender with this one device.

What I like:
1. Powerful. While the Kitchenaid was bigger and heavier, it took 5-6 minutes to accomplish what the Cuisinart does in under 60 seconds. Our test is always peanut butter. We burned out the Oster doing this. The Cuisinart makes short work of anything.
2. Well designed. Part of the efficient processing may be as much to do with a well-designed blade. Angles, size, fit - it basically keeps things flowing without allowing food to hide along the bottom (under the blade) and sides. Since you have a blade spinning at a bazillion rotations per second, it takes good engineering to have it fit that tight in the containers without cutting the containers.
3. Cleaning. Other brands, including the Kitchenaid, have weird voids in the handles and other parts that seem to collect muck but can't be opened for cleaning. The container is simple and easier to clean.
4. Blender. It's hard to mess up a blender. The blade and jar design was perfected years ago. I thank Cuisinart for giving us a glass jar. Again - better flow.
5. Space. Dynamite comes in small packages. It's unquestionably a better device than the two previous appliances it replaced. But it's very small. Taller, but yet it still fits easily under the cabinets.

What I don't like:
1. Loud. I've said this elsewhere - but this thing is unbelievably loud. But since it does things in record time, you have more noise for a shorter amount of time. So you break even.

What takes getting used to:
1. It's like so many new appliances - you have two buttons to make it go. One to turn it on, one to turn the blade. This is necessary since the dual power affects how fast the blades spin and whatnot. Blenders spin differently than Food Processors.

Personal Preference:
1. The size of the food processor cup is smaller than my Kitchenaid. But since the center tube that holds the blade is much higher, it actually contains about the same. I've noticed that - some larger cups can't be filled all the way, or else muck shoots up the blade and leaks out the center post. Size is a personal preference, but since I'm not trying to feed the Mongol Hordes with this - it's more than enough to handle the day-to-day jobs of feeding 4-8 people.
on July 2, 2007
I bought this as a replacement for another Cuisinart food processor that gave up the ghost after 18 years of regular use. It is well designed and a bit lighter than the older models. It can be a little tricky to get the top on at first - do it a few times with it empty to see how the mechanism works and then it's easy to do. It seems to be able to handle any blending/processing job that I give it including really thick smoothies and baby food.

I just removed two stars because the blender wound up being a bust. I am still using the food processor and it is great but the blender assembly got really chewed up on the bottom and finally quit working altogether. I am hard on blenders though (I replaced this with a much more powerful Vitamix) since we make lots of smoothies so this may be a mismatch of my needs and the product, rather than an actual product defect.
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2009
Motor burned out after 4 months. Even when it was working, it didn't blend nearly as well as our old Braun, which worked perfectly for 10 years. Save your money -- this machine is not durable!
on July 19, 2007
We had to replace our old Krups blender, which we had for many years, because the switches stopped working. The motor still ran--you just had to plug it in and unplug it to stop it.

So--we have a lot of Cuisinart stuff, and this looked like the item closest to the Krups, which had a food processor as well as the blender.

Here's why I give the Cuisinart item a 3, after probably three uses:
1. the food processor is pretty small
2. the "chrome" is actually plastic with a chrome coating, and I worry it won't last long
3. the styling is kind of klunky--it's somehow too big looking and obtrusive compared to, say, our Cuisinart toaster (which we have had a long time and really like)
4. the motor always smells as if it's about to burn out (but hasn't yet)
5. it has this weird feature that you first turn it on, then choose an action, like "chop" or "blend." I suppose this is a safety feature, but I'm not sure why.

On the other hand, it does the jobs it's supposed to do, and so I can't complain about that. It's okay. Just not the dream I imagined it would be, but it is powerful and effective. Why can't someone design a sleek blender/food processor combo that can handle a bit more quantity and looks good on the counter and lasts forever? :)
22 comments|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2008
Bought this unit because it was sleek looking and seemed to offer good value for the money. Save your money. With anything other than the lightest load, the motor let out a burning odor. And then it crapped out. I returned it and got another...it lasted slightly longer, but then the motor crapped out again.
on April 28, 2010
My wife bought this at Bed, Bath & Beyond because we had gift certificates. We have a Cuisinart coffee maker that has worked reasonably well and we needed a good, heavy-duty blender to replace our old Kitchen Aid.

This thing is cheap plastic made to look like metal. In addition, whoever designed it had no consideration whatsoever for those using it. You need a hammer to get the lid on. I am not joking about this. The first time I tried to get it on I literally had my full body weight shoving down on the lid and it still didn't go all the way in. Getting the lid off is not quite as bad, but nearly so. A crowbar might help.

The second nasty surprise is when you try to pour the contents into any container. The pour spout is ludicrously small. We could find no way to pour a fruit smoothie out of the container without spilling a good portion out onto the counter.

We are going to take it back if we can. Do yourself a favor and avoid the hassle we went through.
on September 8, 2008
We bought this product because of the large carafe and the food processor attachment. The plastic 'chrome' body of the unit looked pretty 'cheap', but was not a big issue for us. We made a batch of frozen drinks and it did a great job. When we went to make the 2nd batch the motor would not run. The unit was receiving power but the motor didn't run. Based on the reviews, I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.
on January 19, 2009
First of all, let me proclaim that I am extremely picky and perhaps even a bit of a snob when it comes to kitchen equipment. I worked in restaurants for many years and have dealt with the full range of products. On top of my experience I DO my research when it comes to comparison shopping and putting my cash on the line.

Our old blender was on it's last leg so we have been shopping for a blender for several months. I chose this Cuisinart model because it had the features we are lookiing for - a mini food processor attachment, large-capacity glass jar, powerful motor, easy-to-clean housing and touch-pad controls that won't catch the drips.

My girlfriend made smoothies in the blender twice, I used the food processor once, and on the next smoothie run it quit. I simply can not describe the disappointment we felt after so much research and even upgrading to the more expensive of the two Cuisinart models. I expected this blender to last over ten years. I'm sorry I had to give it even one star on the rating. I think I'll be looking at another Oster. The old one lasted 14 years.

ALSO NOTE: a good friend of mine bought an even more expensive Cuisinart coffee maker and it only lasted a few months.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse