1,476 of 1,499 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Debunking the negative reviews
We bought this machine based on a recommendation from a friend at work and other reviews we read on Amazon. First of all, let me say that this is a great product. The recipes are easy to follow and the bread is outstanding. We brought the machine with us when we visited relatives over the holidays, and two of them are now going to get machines for their families...
Published on December 30, 2010 by Greg W.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing product, terrible customer service
I bought this product in August and it worked great for two months. Then the touchpad stopped working. Customer service told me how to reset it and that seemed to work. The paddle broke during making the very next loaf of bread; it took 4-6 weeks to get a replacement paddle as they were "back-ordered". I made one loaf successfully when the new paddle arrived. During...
Published on December 23, 2009 by KEH

1,476 of 1,499 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Debunking the negative reviews, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart CBK-100 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker (Kitchen)

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WROTE NEGATIVE REVIEWS, AND THOSE WHO HAVE READ THEM, PLEASE READ THIS!! For my first loaf I went to the store to get flour. At the store I talked to the guy stocking the flour aisle about what kind of flour to use (note that the recipes specify "bread flour"). The grocery store guy and another woman who joined in the discussion assured me that I could use all purpose flour, so that's what I bought. The loaf came out so-so. It was quite dense, and the middle of the loaf was sunken instead of nicely puffed up (many of the negative reviews describe exactly this problem). So I googled "bread flour" and found out that it is significantly different from all purpose flour. It's higher gluten and protein content produces stretchier, chewier bread, but more importantly, it traps more of the carbon dioxide from the yeast so that the dough rises properly.

Equipped with this information, I went back to the store and bought King Arthur BREAD FLOUR. What a difference! My son described it as a 1000% improvement. Every loaf since then has been outstanding.

One more thing. The recipe instructions tell you to set the loaf size and crust color, then select the bread program (white, wheat, gluten free, etc.). You actually want to SELECT THE BREAD PROGRAM FIRST, then the loaf size and crust color, because setting the bread program first will RESET the loaf size and crust color to the defaults (2 lb. loaf, medium crust).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondeful for Gluten Free Bread Baking, August 28, 2009
My wife has Celiac disease and a good gluten free bread is impossible to find ready made. We must bake our own bread if she is going to have a bread that tastes good. We have found the bread mix from Gluten Free Pantry is great. but our old bread machine, a Breadman Ultimate was not turning out a consistant product. It was less than a year old and quit working. Which turned out to be a blessing. Based on our experience with other Cuisinart products and the reviews on Amazon we decided on the Cusinart CBK-100. The gluten free cycle is perfect. It bakes the best gluten free bread we have ever had. We have used Gluten free pantry Sandwich bread mix and also Bob's Red Mill gluten free multigrain mix. WOW! THe bread is so good that I even like it. This bread is light and the crust is perfect. It even is easier to slice. If you are looking for a bread maker that turns out excelent gluten free bread this is the one to buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it all the time., May 2, 2012
I really love this breadmaker. I have made about 200 loaves of bread in the last 16 months. Here are my tips for consistently making great bread:

1. Be exact with your measurements. Weigh out ingredients. Each cup of flour should weigh 120 grams.

2. The amount of liquid you need varies based on the humidity in the room. I usually add in one ounce less liquid than the recipe calls for and watch the dough kneading. This particular machine kneads initially for about 3-4 minutes, rests for a few minutes then kneads again. I wait until the first round of kneading is done, then check the consistency. If the dough is dry and hasn't formed into a ball, I add a spoonful of water and wait till it is kneaded for a minute, then reassess the dough. If the dough is wet (sticking to the sides, a pile of goo instead of a ball of dough), then add in bread flour one tablespoon at a time.

3. Use quality ingredients. I use King Arthur flours and buy yeast in bulk.

4. Add the ingredients in the order listed. Liquids first, then sugar/salt, then flour(s), then yeast. Don't let the salt touch the yeast.

5. Use vital wheat gluten in whole wheat breads. One tablespoon VWG per cup flour.

6. Use this book ([...]). Lots of great tips and recipes.

7. Try the pizza dough recipe from the recipe manual included with the breadmaker. I have several family members that now use that recipe for their dough after having my pizza.

8. I use the small setting for sweet breads, dinner breads, and breads for breakfast toast. I use the medium setting for sandwich bread. I have used the large setting, holy crap are those loaves big. Really too big to be useful.

9. The dark crusting setting is really only needed for the darkest of loaves.

10. Try to have your liquids at room temp. If they are too cold, the yeast will not be as active and the loaf will not rise as much.

11. A lot of recipes call for buttermilk as the liquid. If you have buttermilk around all the time, awesome! If you are like me, then use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and add milk to make one cup. Let it sit for five minutes. Voila! Buttermilk.

12. As soon as your bread is done, take it out and let it sit for a moment on the counter. Five minutes max. Then use a silicone spatula around the sides of the loaf to help separate the loaf from the pan. It will still be hot, so use an oven mitt. Put the bread onto a cookie drying rack. Let the bread cool and breathe with space all around the loaf for 10-15 minutes before serving. If it sits in the machine or in the pan for too long, the moisture will make the loaf soggy and not as crisp.

13. Don't be afraid to experiment with recipes.

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart CBK-100, May 9, 2009
When our breadmaker of about 12yrs. broke, I search the internet for a replacement. I thoroughly checked out many many many different types and prices. I settled on this Cuisinart CBK-100 and, have been very pleased with the texture of bread it makes. I do however use 2 tablespoons of sugar for a 1 1/2 lb. loaf and use only 1 teaspoon of fast acting yeast instead of 1 1/2 teaspoons. It operates very quiet compared to our older machine we had. I really like the beeps telling you it's time to take the paddle out of the bread so you don't have that gaping hole on botton of every loaf. I strongly recommend purchasing this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy "Bread Maker", March 11, 2013
My husband and I love bread, but we wanted something healthy. We tried ready-made loaves, such as Ezekiel Bread, but were not satisfied with the taste. So, I started making homemade bread the old-fashioned way, but, although it was good, found it was far too much trouble and highly unpredictable. A friend gave me an old Toastmaster Bread Box Bread Maker, which was good, but could only hold 2 cups of flour and make 1 lb. loaves - most of the recipes I could find were for 1-1/2 or 2 lb loaves, so I had to do a lot of calculations. After hours of research online, I decided to try the Cuisinart CBK-100 from Amazon. And I'm so glad I did. I don't normally write reviews unless I really like a product. The Cuisinart has lived up to my expectations - I have had it now for 10 months and have baked over 150 loaves and quite a few batches of dough for rolls. It did take a few tries to find just the right recipes, but. after that, they have almost all been perfect. I only use King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, Olive Oil, Succanat, Sea Salt, and Apple Cider Vinegar, and purified water.You do have to remember, though, that, even with the perfect recipe, weather and humidity can make a difference, so you still need to check the consistency of the dough during kneading.
PROS: Removable paddle, rectangular loaf-3 sizes, even cooking, reliability
CONS: Instruction booklet does not give times for each process (the Toastmaster did), but, on my first use, I sayed with the machine the whole time and wrote down the times. Now, all I need to do is hang a little timer around my neck as I'm doing other things to remind me when to check the dough, add ingredients, or take out the paddle (the machine beeps, but you can't hear it if you're downstairs or in the yard) I am adding this chart in case it can help any of you reading this review:
MENU: 3 (Whole Wheat)

Kneading (8 minutes).............. to 3:30
Rising (1hr55min)................... to 1:35
(BEEPS to remove paddle)
Bake (1hr35min) ................... to 0:00
I hope you love this machine as much as I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bread. A bit loud., August 8, 2010
I have been using this exact model for over a year now and LOVE it! We have 7 in our family and so make at least a loaf a day. It works great with regular bread and also with the gluten free stuff we make for some of the kids.

The loaf pan is actually horizontal so it makes normal shaped loaves instead of the weird square ones that most machines crank out.

One note: We keep ours in the basement because it beeps. REALLY BEEPS. Loud, long and all throughout the cycle. I think there are 4 times in a 3 hours cycle when it starts beeping. I don't remember the codes, but it beeps loudly 16(!) times when it's done. 16! Anyway, we moved it to be basement because it was waking the kids early in the morning when it started mixing.

But, it's so worth it when you wake to the smell of fresh baked bread.

If you don't mind the beeps, it delivers the goods. I paid 2x this much and would again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle for the gluten free diet, November 19, 2009
My son was diagnosed with celiac about 6 months ago and was being a good sport eating food for life brown rice bread- but he really missed bread. I had heard a breadmaker was the answer so i followed the amazon reviews to this one and have not been disappointed- I use Gluten free pantry everyday bread mix and it has been delicious- the only problem i have encountered is the liquids must be lukewarm- not hot and not cold in order for the bread to rise properly. Other minor details, because the dough is sticky, it is difficult to remove the paddle before baking so there is a small indentation and slash mark in the finished product which is cosmetic only and if you are not there to remove the bread when it finishes cooking, the crust will darken quite a bit- doesn't interfere with taste. My son can finally enjoy a PB&J sandwich.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but it could be even better, August 28, 2009
This is my third breadmaker - my Panasonic breadmaker got too old, and I thought I'd risk a new brand. I liked the idea of being able to remove the paddle before baking, to avoid the paddle getting stuck in the loaves. However, I have not yet used this feature.

The Cuisinart CBK-100 looks good, is easy to use, and the instructions are clear. I have had no difficulty when making loaves, and have been very impressed by the very rapid bake option. I do think that the recipe would be easier to follow if weights were given, rather than volumes, as then you can measure accurately straight into the bread-pan without getting lots of cups, measures dirty.

My main reason for not giving this breadmaker 5 stars is the annoyingly loud beeping. It beeps at the end of kneading - so you can take the paddle out, and it beeps at the end, of course. This is fine, but there is no way to silence or reduce the volume. So, when I put it on the 'timer' mode to get fresh bread at breakfast, guess what woke me up in the night! Yes, beeping at the end of the kneading. Finally, for my last breadmaker there was more flexibility on rapid mode - you could select wholewheat or 'plain', and do different size loaves, whereas this is just one setting. It seems to work fine for wholewheat if you increase the yeast.

5.0 out of 5 stars It simply works, September 14, 2009
Ramin "r_gh" (Cupertino, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Its been more than a month now that I have been using this product almost once a day. I set it up in the evening and have fresh bread in the morning. From the pictures I expected it to be larger than it really is. It fits well on my kitchen counter. I have used about four or five recipes that was included in its recipe book and so far all turned out really well. Overall I am quite happy with the result so far. This is my first bread machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars good machine :), November 19, 2009
I'm very happy I sow this machine on amazon. After reading all reviews I decided to give it at try.
It's very easy to operate. Manual is very clear and understandable. The delay option is easy and convenient if you are busy person like I'm. Today I'm making second loft of bread mix. First one came out perfect and delicious. My family was amazed and ate the whole loft of bread for supper.
Machine it self is very sturdy. It's working quiet and not jumping on the table during kneading process as I sow reviews on other brand machines. Beeping sound is loud, it might bother some people, but for me it's perfect, because my office ( I'm working from home ) is too far from the kitchen.
Tomorrow I'll try to bake bread from the recipe that came in the manual; there is a lot of recipes in manual book.
Over all I love this bread maker so much, that ordered one for my best friends birthday !!!

Updating December 11.
I love machine so much, that I bake bread every day ! It's so much fun to bake different bread every day. Almost all of them came out perfect, unless I make mistake in measuring ingredients or put too much yeast. Bread machine recipes book is a big help in understanding bread making.We didn't buy a single bread loft from the supermarket since I got this machine :)

Updating 03/26/2011
I still love my machine. It's working just fine, does everything I need. I use it almost every week.

ARRAY(0x96813b40)