5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL grill when all you can use is electric!
Published on December 30, 2011 by pdgkay

1.0 out of 5 stars not worthy of the brand!
Published on September 30, 2011 by J.F.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL grill when all you can use is electric!, December 30, 2011
Our beach condo is bound by a law forbidding any but electric grills. Most grills reviewed indicate a lack of heating ability. When we bought our first grill we found it to be worthless. This one, purchased when our true griller son was visiting is EXCELLENT! Even sears steaks! We even have to lower the heat. Although it appears unable to grill much at a time, he did 5 large ribeyes at one time with no problem. Would definitely recommend this grill and it's not expensive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill if you're using it for just a couple of people!, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Cuisinart CEG-980 Outdoor Electric Grill with VersaStand (Lawn & Patio)
We received this grill as a wedding gift when we moved into our apartment. Since we can't have gas this was a great alternative.

Pros:
-It heats up quickly
-has great heat distribution
-great size for a couple even to have a few friends over
-compact size for a patio or balcony
-grill part comes off easily to clean off (would be great if it was dishwasher safe, I'll have to look)

Cons:
-Short cord (although this is most likely a safety feature)
-seems like it takes a longer time to cook than normal
-definitely does not fit 8-10 chicken breasts as stated! Those must be tiny breasted chickens!
-a pain to clean under the heating element and the drip tray is hard to clean out
-the grill slats have a lot of space in between-veggies slip under!
-short height. My husband and I are short so this is ok for us, anyone 5'6 and over it's a little low for you ;-p

Overall for my husband and I, it's a great option for our apartment. It would be great to bring to a camp site that might have outdoor plugs like some do or if you have an RV, without the gas though it's not as useful or versatile.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worthy of the brand!, September 30, 2011
J.F. "JFG" (Fredericksburg, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This is an "okay" grill. It doesn't brown meats particularly well, and it is not super easy to clean. But it looks good, and the size is good for 1.5 people. You would have to do multiple batches for many more people. The grease catcher doesn't come apart to clean, which makes it a little awkward. I think if we use wood chunks, we may get some of the charcoal grilling flavor that we miss without them. I'm not sure this grill is worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed., September 6, 2011
Got this grill for my apartment balcony, because I cannot use propane or charcoal grills due to city ordinance. Very easy to put together, took less than a minute. Just needed to snap in the feet, and plug in the probe. I plugged it in and it heated up over 500 degrees in about 10 minutes. I cooked steaks, and was able to get some great sear marks. I am very impressed with the ease of use and cooking performance of this product. I would highly recommend this product

1.0 out of 5 stars advise against this item, August 15, 2011
this item stopped working properly after 1 use. Way too expensive for just an electric coil that doesn't get hot enough. This item should sell for $50, not $170. Not easy to clean as heating element screws in, so you have to break out the screwdriver after each use to remove heating element to clean the base unit. Drip tray is not easy to clean, either. The unit looks nice, but just not very functional and I don't recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smoking machine, October 8, 2012
Originally we purchased this grill to carry on camping trips on our Motorhome. We wanted to replace one that used propane and would constantly get blown out due to the wind. I thought I'd use it on the patio for a few days to try it out. We found that it worked so well that we didn't want to part with it on the patio so we bought a 2nd one for the Motorhome. It's a great smoker and couldn't be more pleased with it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money, June 23, 2013
All you need to know is that it will not sear a steak. The legs are useless unless you like cooking from your hips. If you live in a apartment and need a electric grill, Buy the Weber 140 or 240. You will get what you paid for and more. Believe me, I learned the hard way. I went through three brands of electric grills before I spent the money on the Weber. Nuff said.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart electric grill, October 10, 2012
This grill does not get hot enough to grill food properly. I've used it a number of times and have tried to grill steaks, burgers, fish, and vegetables. I've let it heat up for 20 minutes or more before beginning to grill, I've left the lid down while grilling food, but I have not been able to successfully grill anything. I would not buy this again and will probably pitch this one into the trash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Electric Grill, May 5, 2012
John Celton (Milpitas, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Had to return first unit since the lid lock was broken and could not remove the heater to clean the bottom of the grill.
Got second unit and it works fine. Have used it several times and there appears to be no problems. The dripping tray is a problem to clean since it has a fixed cover and a very small hole on top so if greases hardens in there will need to reheat and poke grease out with a wire. Also tried to remove the bottom of the grill to clean it and found that one of the screws was not removable because the screw was overtighted at the factory and the nutsert is loose in the hole. That is OK so far. Will line the bottom of the grill with aluminum foil to catch the drippings and make it easier to clean. Cooked a thick steak just fine just had to add a little time. Factory has to tighten screws a little less so nutserts do not pop loose making it impossible to remove parts. Overall I like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is good enough, May 6, 2013
The grill gets the job done, however it is extremely messy. The drip tray is silly and catches minimal grease. We grilled burgers and had to put a big mat under the grill because the grease was dripping all over. The grill itself was pretty easy to clean though.

Cuisinart CEG-980 Outdoor Electric Grill with VersaStand